Best and Worst : What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (14/11-20/11)

Re: What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (14/11-20/11)

A few episodes into season 9 can feel this being a slog

Any interest in under the shadow?

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr Johnson

There is a couple of great eps in there but a slog t o get to them

Yeah it sounds interesting although I loath the babadook

Agent Reyes? The *beep*, worst character in the show.

Defo worth a watch, I really liked the babadook - it's only similar in theme however, mother and child grappling with each other emotionally.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr Johnson

I haven't seen those.

Mine:
Savages (2012 TV): I love most movies from Oliver Stone. This particular movie's genre is among my favourite, the cinematography is great the acting is all right, Del Toro was great but something just didn't click. I still can't quite put my finger on it as to why, but I hardly cared about anything. I guess the story never hooked me up. Maybe I was not in the right set of mind. But again I usually love these types of movies. The few and short action scenes were good plus they were wearing cool masks. So there's always that. The fake ending before the real ending was really unnecessary. Could've been great but was just average. 5.5/10

Armour of God (1986 DVD): Jackie Chan is at the bar of the direction, the stunts choreography, has the leading role and sings the theme song... Just another day at work for him. It's really impressive. The movie is very funny, has some great action and a good story. Everything you can ask for from a Chan movie, it delivers. (This movie changed the way I popped my chewing gum when I first saw it. Still trying to master the art.) 7.1/10

Armour of God 2: Operation Condor (1991 DVD): Jackie toned the sequel down from a R rating to a PG-13 and it shows. Personally I think it takes a little edge away from the movie. There's a lot of funny moments, the action is great and the final fight, with the huge fan, is a sight to see. It entertains and makes you smile but not one of his best. 6.5/10

Son in law (1993DVD): Pauly Shore; you either like him or dislike him. I doubt there's a lot of people who just "don't mind him". Personally, I like him. I grew up with his movies as a teenager. I used to laugh while watching this one but so many years later it saddens me to say that it was not as funny. It's still a sweet, feel good comedy, very simple but effective. 6/10 (was a 7)

Loaded Gun 1 (1993 DVD): This National lampoon goes full throttle with a rate of 5 jokes/minute and it never stops. Everyone is bound to find his share of laughs one way or another. They had so many ideas for jokes and they certainly went all the way with them. No effort was wasted. I liked Samuel L Jackson and Emilio Estevez characters and I liked the chemistry between the two actors but the two characters made an awkward duo. Normally you have a high and a low, a positive and a negative. They are both too "serious" and "low-keyed". (which is where it fails to truly mimic lethal weapon) Thankfully there is a bunch of awesome appearances. (William Shatner, Charlie sheen ,Woopie Goldberg, Bruce Willis, the ninja turtles, John Lovitz, Tim Curry, Denis Leary)
6.5/10

Woochie The demon slayer (2009 Blu-ray): This movie was suppose to have "amazing special effects" but they actually were mediocre. The settings were well made and nice looking, the costumes too. But the monsters, the stunts and the action scenes were rather poor. As for the story, it's all over the place and quite hard to keep focus on. There's a nice touch of humour, lots of interesting characters and some cool ideas but all in all, it was a colourful and disjointed mess. What with the lost flute, magic paintings, the amulets, magic necklaces, invisible shackles, magical knife...It was too much and over 2hrs was too long. I expected more from this Korean blockbuster. 6/10

The campaign (2012 TV): Two actors that I think are really funny are both in one of their least funny movie. The story is a very simple political satire, the acting was so-so, there was some funny moments but overall it was nothing impressive and far from a game changer. 5.6/10

Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban (2004 DVD): FACTOID
-this is the only Potter movie which I have read the book (loved it)
- I first saw this movie when it came out in the cinema. Enjoyed it a lot. (It held up pretty good in my living room.)
-only other Potter movie I watched is The Chamber of secrets and I did not like it. (5.4/10)
- I also own The order of the Phoenix which I plan to watch next.
-I went to see my grandma this week and when I got in she got scared while lying on her couch and she said:" I thought there was a monkey on the wall."I said "No, it's me grandma."
- I have no interest in The goblet of fire and The philosopher's stone
-I am interested in all the other movies
- I rate this movie 7.5 as in "very good".
- I lent the movie Once upon a Time in Mexico to a friend and he hasn't contacted me in more than six months. Not even a text message. Should I worry?

10 000 BC (2008 TV): I watched almost an hour before I had enough and started doing some stuff but I let it play on the TV. It's a pretty bad movie. 4/10

Workaholics Season 3 (DVD): It took me a little more than a month to finish it but it was a blast. Ah yeah! Funny stuff right there. 8/10

Excuse my English, I am French-Canadian

Hey buddy

Any interest in mine?

Savages - Oliver stone does go on a bit, I found this a bit of a chore to be honest! The characters annoyed the tits off me and the acting was sub standard. - 3/10

Loaded gun - enjoyed this as a kid, watched it again a few years back still a bit of a laugh. - 5/10

10,000 BC - is this the Roland emerich film? If so couldn't get past the half hour mark, it was terrible

As a French-Canadian it's a given that I will watch Arrival.
I don't know the other ones .

Yes its the R. Emerich piece of crap.

Yours:

Incendies (2010) - Villeneuve's emotionally charged Best Foreign Language Film Oscar nominee is intriguing and compelling with a walloping twist. 7/10

One False Move (1992) - A slow-burning thriller about race, crime and small-town America with solid performances. 7/10

Fun fact: Billy Bob Thornton married Cynda Williams, the black character named Fantasia/Lila Walker.

Devil in a Blue Dress (1995) - A slick and suspenseful neo noir with a stellar cast including Oscar winner Denzel Washington, Oscar nominee Don Cheadle, Tom Sizemore and Jennifer Beals among others. 7.5/10

The Dead Zone (1983) - Gripping, chilling and sad supernatural horror thriller with an excellent performance from Oscar winner Christopher Walken. 7.5/10

Heathers (1988) - Witty and smart dark teen comedy with a wickedly charming performance from Oscar nominee Winona Ryder. This cult high school classic satire plays like a macabre version of Mean Girls and seems influenced by the underrated Roger Ebert favorite, Massacre at Central High (1976). 7/10

Mine:

The Mortal Storm (1940) - An Austrian farmer and a professor's daughter flee Nazi Germany on skis. It's set during 1933 and the esteemed Viktor Roth turns 60. His birthday celebration is cut short when Adolf Hitler becomes chancellor of Deutschland. Two of his sons identify with the Fuhrer's principles as well as his daughter's boyfriend, Fritz Marberg. James Stewart's Martin Breitner and Margaret Sullavan's Freya Roth object to the tide of the fascist climate while becoming fugitive lovers. It's directed by Oscar winner Frank Borzage and based on the novel of the same name by Phyllis Bottome. This is one of the most earnest and powerful portrayals of Nazi propaganda and the banality of evil that followed. Though many films of its era would opt for jingoistic flag waving, Borzage's sensitive effort is a heartbreaking but moving drama with compelling performances from its cast including Stewart, Sullavan and Robert Young among others. 8/10

The Visitor (2007) - An unlikely friendship with an immigrant and his girlfriend reawakens a college professor's long-buried zest for life. Richard Jenkins plays Walter Vale, a widowed economics teacher traveling to New York for a lecture. Vale finds undocumented workers Tarek and Zainab living in his home away from Connecticut. The couple discover they have been duped into renting an apartment from a swindler. The disaffected academic invites them regardless and bonds with them through the good (drums) and bad (deportation). This post-9/11 tale is written and directed by Spotlight Oscar winner Tom McCarthy. Jenkins give an affecting Oscar nominated performance as a bored man in a midlife crisis. Like Win Win and The Station Agent, it's a rich, evocative and poignant story with real characters and fine acting, including Haaz Sleiman, Hiam Abbass and playwright and The Walking Dead star, Danai Gurira. 7.5/10

Lethal Weapon 3 (1992) - Los Angeles police detectives crush a guns-to-gangs operation with a wild woman from internal affairs. Mel Gibson and Danny Glover respectively return to this third installment as Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh. The mismatched cops track down former policeman, Jack Travis, trafficking high-tech weapony to the bosses of organized crime. Rene Russo's Lorna Cole joins in on the action to topple the outfit. Richard Donner is back at the helm with a screenplay by Jeffrey Boam and Robert Mark Kamen. While Russo soars as the tough agent, Joe Pesci's comic relief role often feels forced and superfluous. Although more sentimental with its social issues than its predecessors, Donner's action threequel is a raucously enjoyable work. 7/10

Lethal Weapon 3 - my least favourite of the series, has a weird tvish kind of structure but still has a few good sequences 5.5/10

YOURS
-----------------
THE CONTENDER
Joan Allen, Jeff Bridges, and Gary Oldman stand out in this post Clinton / Lewinsky scandal inspired tale. But in the age of Trump, it seems past "sins", real or not, no longer matter in national elections.
7/10

MURDER IN THE FIRST
I like this movie all little better, a solid film all the way thru, with Kevin Bacon and Christian Slater grounding the film with their passionate performances
6/10

TIME AFTER TIME
It's the charm and chemistry of the leads, McDowell and Steenburgen, that resonate the most with me.( they got married in real life ). The time travel / Jack The Ripper plot should've been more clever and intense.
6/10

THE DEAD ZONE
speaking of Presidential elections, Christopher Walken's haunting performance anchors this supernatural morality tale. Best and creepiest, sequence, the search for the scissors killer.
5/10

HEATHERS
Saw this in 1989. so funny, clever, satirical, so many memorable lines. Seen it many times since, still holds up. Christian Slater's best performance. Winona Ryder, I had a huge crush on her back then. Good times.
8/10

MINE

THE SHALLOWS ( 2016 )
I haven't seen alot of 2016 releases. Of the ones I've seen, this ranks as one of my favorites. Best shark horror movie since Jaws. Lone woman spends a day surfing at secluded Mexico beach. All alone, she is attacked by immense shark, and takes refuge on exposed reef top at low tide. Spends rest of movie fending off her attacker, trying to reach safety, knowing full well, the tide will be coming in soon. Exciting, intense, with spectacular ocean photography. And Blake Lively, wow, speaking of crushes, she is the sole reason this movie works, her plight, charm, humanity, ultra real terror, and moxie, sell this movie. Perfect casting.
8/10

----------------------------

I thought The Shallows was a solid enough piece of entertainment although occasionally ridiculous 6/10

You watched three movies that I own but still have to watch: Incendies, resurrecting the champ and Dead Zone.
It always sort of flatters me when I see some mentions for Quebec actors and actresses. :)

My week:
Savages (2012 TV): I love most movies from Oliver Stone. This particular movie's genre is among my favourite, the cinematography is great the acting is all right, Del Toro was great but something just didn't click. I still can't quite put my finger on it as to why, but I hardly cared about anything. I guess the story never hooked me up. Maybe I was not in the right set of mind. But again I usually love these types of movies. The few and short action scenes were good plus they were wearing cool masks. So there's always that. The fake ending before the real ending was really unnecessary. Could've been great but was just average. 5.5/10

Armour of God (1986 DVD): Jackie Chan is at the bar of the direction, the stunts choreography, has the leading role and sings the theme song... Just another day at work for him. It's really impressive. The movie is very funny, has some great action and a good story. Everything you can ask for from a Chan movie, it delivers. (This movie changed the way I popped my chewing gum when I first saw it. Still trying to master the art.) 7.1/10

Armour of God 2: Operation Condor (1991 DVD): Jackie toned the sequel down from a R rating to a PG-13 and it shows. Personally I think it takes a little edge away from the movie. There's a lot of funny moments, the action is great and the final fight, with the huge fan, is a sight to see. It entertains and makes you smile but not one of his best. 6.5/10

Son in law (1993DVD): Pauly Shore; you either like him or dislike him. I doubt there's a lot of people who just "don't mind him". Personally, I like him. I grew up with his movies as a teenager. I used to laugh while watching this one but so many years later it saddens me to say that it was not as funny. It's still a sweet, feel good comedy, very simple but effective. 6/10 (was a 7)

Loaded Gun 1 (1993 DVD): This National lampoon goes full throttle with a rate of 5 jokes/minute and it never stops. Everyone is bound to find his share of laughs one way or another. They had so many ideas for jokes and they certainly went all the way with them. No effort was wasted. I liked Samuel L Jackson and Emilio Estevez characters and I liked the chemistry between the two actors but the two characters made an awkward duo. Normally you have a high and a low, a positive and a negative. They are both too "serious" and "low-keyed". (which is where it fails to truly mimic lethal weapon) Thankfully there is a bunch of awesome appearances. (William Shatner, Charlie sheen ,Woopie Goldberg, Bruce Willis, the ninja turtles, John Lovitz, Tim Curry, Denis Leary)
6.5/10

Woochie The demon slayer (2009 Blu-ray): This movie was suppose to have "amazing special effects" but they actually were mediocre. The settings were well made and nice looking, the costumes too. But the monsters, the stunts and the action scenes were rather poor. As for the story, it's all over the place and quite hard to keep focus on. There's a nice touch of humour, lots of interesting characters and some cool ideas but all in all, it was a colourful and disjointed mess. What with the lost flute, magic paintings, the amulets, magic necklaces, invisible shackles, magical knife...It was too much and over 2hrs was too long. I expected more from this Korean blockbuster. 6/10

The campaign (2012 TV): Two actors that I think are really funny are both in one of their least funny movie. The story is a very simple political satire, the acting was so-so, there was some funny moments but overall it was nothing impressive and far from a game changer. 5.6/10

Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban (2004 DVD): FACTOID
-this is the only Potter movie which I have read the book (loved it)
- I first saw this movie when it came out in the cinema. Enjoyed it a lot. (It held up pretty good in my living room.)
-only other Potter movie I watched is The Chamber of secrets and I did not like it. (5.4/10)
- I also own The order of the Phoenix which I plan to watch next.
-I went to see my grandma this week and when I got in she got scared while lying on her couch and she said:" I thought there was a monkey on the wall."I said "No, it's me grandma."
- I have no interest in The goblet of fire and The philosopher's stone
-I am interested in all the other movies
- I rate this movie 7.5 as in "very good".
- I lent the movie Once upon a Time in Mexico to a friend and he hasn't contacted me in more than six months. Not even a text message. Should I worry?

10 000 BC (2008 TV): I watched almost an hour before I had enough and started doing some stuff but I let it play on the TV. It's a pretty bad movie. 4/10

Workaholics Season 3 (DVD): It took me a little more than a month to finish it but it was a blast. Ah yeah! Funny stuff right there. 8/10

Hey

Have you contacted your friend though?

Your week:
Savages (2012 TV): Has its moment but its too much of an unfocussed mess most of the time 5.5/10

Armour of God (1986 DVD)
Armour of God 2: Operation Condor (1991 DVD): ive seen one of these I think but I dont remember which one or enough about it

Son in law (1993DVD): has a few funny moments 5/10

Loaded Gun 1 (1993 DVD)I saw this back in the day and compared to similar type moves (Naked Gun, Hot SHots etc) I found this really unfunny 3/10

Harry Potter Azkaban - my fave of the series 7.5

Oh I called him many times and sent some rude text messages. No sign of life yet. ( he lives half an hour away from me so I wouldn't just go knock at his door)

Armour of God: The one made an 86 is really worth it . The one from 91 is pretty average.

Btw, thank you for smoking is a surprisingly good movie I strongly suggest you finish it.

Cut your losses dude

I think I'll just do that.
( I had to look up the expression because I never heard it before and now I can add it to my vocabulary thanks )

Oh, I have also seen 10,000 BC which was awful, one of the worst films i have seen in the cinema 2/10

First Viewings...

-Don't Breathe (2016) (Nov 16th 2016) - 4/10

-Jason Bourne (2016) (Nov 18th 2016) - 5/10 (it's mostly watchable enough but ultimately forgettable. The Bourne Identity (2002) (6.5-7/10) is the only movie of the series of any real worth)

Re-watches...

-Moon (2009) (Nov 14th 2016) - 8/10 (was a 8.5-9/10. still... my favorite space themed movie. but i will say it takes a while to get going which it mostly gets going around the time the clone comes into play)

-Munich (2005) (Nov 15th 2016) - 8-8.5/10 (it held steady. my favorite Spielberg movie. my #3 movie of 2005 and given it's score that would make it not far outside of my Top 32 movies.)

-Troy (2004) Directors Cut (Nov 17th 2016) - 6-6.5/10 (was a 8/10)

-The Dead Zone (1983) - 6/10 (it's been many years since i last re-watched it and i still mildly like it)

p.s. in general for me... 5/10 or less = Thumbs Down. 6/10 or higher = Thumbs Up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

OP's...

-Incendies (2010) - NS (but who knows, maybe ill give it a shot down the road as the director has some good movies)

-Nocturnal Animals (2016) - NS (but it looks like it's worth checking out from what i could make out in the commercials. Amy Adams is always nice to look at to ;) )

-Devil in a Blue Dress (1995) - NS (but who knows, maybe ill catch it eventually as Denzel is in it)

-The Arrival (2016) - NS (but ill definitely check this out once it's available outside of the theaters)

-The Dead Zone (1983) - 6/10 (The Fly is also my favorite Cronenberg movie and the only one from that director that stands out for me. in fact, i just re-watched it upon seeing you list it as it felt like it was due for a re-watch as it's been too long since i last re-watched it.)

Time After Time (1979, Nicholas Meyer)
I actually thought I had seen this film before but I think I was getting it confused with Jack's Back (1988). This film has a pretty good reputation for being a fun adventure where H.G. Wells (Malcolm McDowell) pursues Jack the Ripper (David Warner) to the 20th Century when the serial murderer uses the future writer's time machine to escape his time period. I usually don't like McDowell but he is solid here and the whole film is well acted and makes great used of the fish out of water premise. Unfortunately it lacks any kind of intensity and feels rather ho hum for a lot of the running time.
4.5/10

Yeah, i thought you gave it a 6/10 not long ago when i mentioned it last week.

but i can't blame you for that 'feels rather ho hum for a lot of the running time' comment.

i was kinda on the edge of a thumbs up and thumbs down but i decided in favor of it at this point as, at least as of now, ill probably give it re-watch at some point years from now.

Tried to Watch Exotica (1994) & Thank You for Smoking (2005), but could not get into either, I may give the later a chance later.

personally i think Thank You For Smoking is one of the best comedy/drama movies out there as it's within my Top 68 movies in general. you don't see quality comedy/drama variations (it's a nice blend of both) much but this is one of them.

but just curious... how far did you get into Thank You For Smoking?

p.s. nearly all movies from that director (Jason Reitman) are a 7.5-8/10 or higher in my mind.

----------
My Top 100-ish Movies of All-Time! = http://goo.gl/EYFYdz
----------

-Don't Breathe (2016) 5.5

-Jason Bourne (2016) the worst of the series but still fine 6-6.5

-Moon (2009) might rewatch this soon 8/10

-Munich (2005) my 2nd fave from him 8/10

-Troy (2004) Directors Cut - I dont know which cut i saw but i gave it a 5/10

-The Dead Zone (1983) you saw my thoughts 7.5/10

Yeah I thought I had seen Time After Time but was confusing it with a different film.

I generally like Reitman but was not feeling this one, as I said I might go back to it.. i watched about about a half hour or more

Hi, Dark

I'm watching Nocturnal Animals next week, probably.

I was actually curious to check out The Sicilian Clan.

Yours:

Devil in a Blue Dress 7.5/10

I remember enjoying it, and that Denzel and Don Cheadle were great.

The Contender 4.5/10

I watched it a while ago, but I remember not liking it.

One False Move 8/10

Watched it a while ago as well, but I do remember liking it.

I started watching Black Christmas remake but I gave up.

Murder in the First 7.5/10

Again, it was a while ago, but I remember liking it. The acting was good.

The Dead Zone 9/10

Classic, loved it. I'm glad you liked it too, I thought you hated Cronenberg movies.

Heathers 8/10

I remember it being good.

Mine:

Julieta 8/10

It's Pedro Almodovar's new movie. I liked it a lot. I found it very human and moving. The two actresses are fantastic.

Extremities 7.5/10

It's the movie with Farrah Fawcett, where she plays a woman assauted by a rapist in her home, who turns the tables on him. Maybe it's a bit trashy, it's intense though. Farrah Fawcett and James Russo are very good.

Story of a Love Affair 8.5/10

It's a Michelangelo Antonioni movie, it's a film noir, it's about a rich business man in Italy who hires a detective to investigate on the past of his younger wife, because he feels she might be hiding something. I loved it, it has a great atmosphere. The ending is fantastic, very surprising, really powerful.

Lights Out 6.5/10

The horror movie. It feels kind of bland, but it's not bad, IMO. I liked Teresa Palmer.

"May Fortune favor the foolish"

Re: Hi, Dark

Just LIghts Out which was ok 5-5.5

I only like 3 Cronenberg films, The Fly, The Dead Zone and eXistenZ

I heard that Diana in Lights Out...

The villain, There was no CGI involved for most of the time, it was an actually actress performing it. That was actually kind of impressive, they could have used her more, IMO.

What did you think of Scanners?

Re: I heard that Diana in Lights Out...

Not seen Scanners in a long time but I thought it was ok if not a little rough around the edges

Yeah, some of his earlier movies definitely were

I saw Shiver (I think the title is Shiver), the one with a parasite infecting a building and turning people into sex zombies basically , and that's really shot with literally a shoe-string budget.

First time viewings during Stockholm Film Festival:

Graduation
Cristian Mungiu's new feature Graduation is about a father trying to help his daughter to succeed on tests so she can study psychology in Cambridge by any means necessary. I liked the plot and the actors, especially the dad are great but I didn't like the ending because it left everything open to interpretation. 7/10

The Handmaiden
I am a big fan of Park, especially The Vengeance trilogy so I had high expectations when I was going to see this one. It lived up to it and The Handmaiden might be my favorite film of his. 8,5/10

Arrival
Another good movie by Villeneuve. I wasn't emotionally invested in it,but I liked the design of the alien and the spaceship. It is also good that the aliens landed on 12 completely random places in the world. It felt more like a realistic depiction of what would actually happen. I bet some countries would have started shooting at the space ship much earlier. 7,5/10

Paterson
A poet who happens to be a bus driver. Adam Driver lives up to his name and drives the bus in Paterson. He is married to a quirky lady who likes to redecorate their home, cook and bake. I loved this movie! 8,5/10

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
I was pretty dissappointed with this Scooby-Doo/pokemon adventure. So much in this film felt unoriginal and predictable. Dan Fogler was the best part in this movie but it seems like he won't be in the sequels. 6/10

A Monster Calls
The kid in this movie is a good actor. Liam Neeson as the Giant Tree monster is perfect and the stories he tell with the animation is great. 8/10

American Honey
A story about a group of teens/young adults who travel from town to town selling newspapers. I liked the movie and Shia LaBeouf was good in it but I think it was to long. I also would have liked to know more about the other characters who were traveling with the lead. 7/10

Under the Shadow
Another psychosis: the movie, just like The Babadook but in Iran during the war. It has some very effective jump scares that made me jump in my chair. 7/10

Nocturnal Animals
A revenge story that didn't really grab me. Michael Shannon and Aaron Taylor-Johnson are good but it just wasn't for me. 6/10

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
At home
Some funny songs (especially things in my truck) and I liked the story (making fun of the music industry) and all the celeb cameos. 7/10

Manchester by the Sea
This is the first Kenneth Lonnergan film that I have seen and it is great. Casey Affleck deserves to be Oscar nominated for his performance. 8,5/10

Hunt for the Wilderpeople
At home
The most charming movie I have seen from 2016. The kid is hilarious and Sam Neil as the grumpy old man is a perfect fit. 8/10

Your Name
I have previously seen Makoto Shinkai's 5 Centimeter per Second. That movie was really pretty but the story was dull. Your Name is a lot of fun with a "freaky friday plot" and gorgeous animation. I also really liked the music. 8/10

I, Daniel Blake
The saddest film that I saw this festival was I, Daniel Blake. It is about a man who had a heart attack and is unable to work and need welfare, but the state won't give it to him. He meets a woman with two children in a similiar situation and he decides to help her. I just felt sorry for the woman, her kids and Daniel Blake. I have never seen a Ken Loach film before but now I want to see more of his work. 8/10

WEEKLY MOVIE AWARDS

BEST FILM - Paterson
BEST ACTOR - Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea
BEST ACTRESS - Min-hee Kim - The Handmaiden
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Lucas Hedges - Manchester by the Sea
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Felicity Jones - A Monster Calls
BEST SCRIPT: Chan-wook Park - The Handmaiden
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Seamus McGarvey - Nosturnal Animals
BEST SCORE: Radwimps - Your Name
BEST DIRECTOR: Kenneth Lonergan - Manchester by the Sea

Hey

Arrival - I liked the first 2/3 , well made and acted 6/10

Nocturnal Animals - my #1 film of the year 8/10

Popstar - better than expected, pretty well satired 6/10

Hunt got the wilderpeople - didn't care for it, the tone was too inconsistent , many characters felt like they were in completely different films. 4/10

Hey

Incendies (2010, Denis Villeneuve)
I'm more into Villeneuve's more ambigious films but liked this one too, like you said, well made.
6.5/10

Heathers (1988, Michael Lehmann)
It's maybe been too long, but not entirely my cup of tea.
5/10

Nocturnal Animals is probably my most anticipated of the year, good to see you liked it so much, out here in the beginning of december. The trailer for Arrival was somewhat off-putting for me but still have moderate hopes for it.

MINE

Three weeks span...

Eye in the Sky (2015) dvd
Gavin Hood
This is a quality thriller with a realistic and "bullet sparing" approach about a terrorist situation about to escalate in Kenya. On top of that, it has an interesting cast headlined by Helen Mirren, Alan Rickman and Aaron Paul.
7/10

Doctor Strange (2016) cinema
Scott Derrickson
The film is perhaps one of the more serious Marvels tonally, but for me it had also some of the best humour in the studio's films scattered through. A big part of the film is obviously the visual flair the title character brings, the same possibilities that for example Inception's and the Matrix's stories offered. I did enjoy the film, Benedict Cumberbatch was great in the lead role and a welcome new face to the MCU, but in the end the movie does fall only to the "pretty good" group where many Marvel films fall for me. However, I feel that the probabilities for a rewatch are better here than with many of the rest.
6.5/10

Central Intelligence (2016) blu-ray
Rawson Marshall Thurber
This Kevin Hart & the Rock collaboration is a surprisingly sweet film under the self-aware/ironic action. The Rock is pretty much the king of self-irony and his wacky character is for sure the mvp here where as Hart's jokes fall more often than not flat. The emotional elements propel this one to a good grade from me.
6/10

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) blu-ray
Bryan Singer
Loved the real history element here as I do with the previous two, and Oscar Isaac's bad guy is definitely better than average, but retrospectively thinking the film feels somewhat mundane and already seen due to the vast number of films in the series and this one not bringing much new to the table. It also has some surprisingly bad cgi.
5/10

Blood Father (2016) dvd
Jean-François Richet
The film belongs to the same category as the Taken -series but is quality wise closer to the sequels of that series. A pretty boring actioner, but I'm glad see Mel Gibson working again with this and with Hacksaw Ridge.
4/10

The Fall (2013-) season 3 netflix
A more than worthy ending to the series. It was hard to guess where they'd go with this season, but I really liked the twist that gave the season it's space. The very end is a bit sudden and I would have liked a bit more, but it's still good as it is.
Highly recommended

The Big Bang Theory (2007-) season 6 dvd
The season has a couple of good episodes but otherwise I thought it was a bit underwhelming, too much relationship stuff for my liking, but the highpoints make it a worthwhile season.
Mildly recommended

Rewatch

Chinatown (1974) dvd
Roman Polanski
A great great atmospheric noir set in L.A., a close cousin to Hitchcock's Vertigo. It's a dark tale where Jack Nicholson just excels, he fits perfectly to a film like this. The plot is hard to follow at times, but that is also a contributor to the film's endless rewatchability, and as far as film-noir goes, it's not even close to the most frustratingly complicated.
8.5/10

Horrible Bosses dvd
Seth Gordon
One of the better comedies of 2010's, for farce diggers this is a must see, as is the sequel.
7/10

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006) blu-ray
Larry Charles
Borat took a little hit for me this time around, still funny, but the multiple viewings are wearing it out somewhat.
7/10

Hey :)

Eye in the Sky (2015) dvd
Gavin Hood
yes i agree, quality thriller 7/10

Doctor Strange (2016) cinema
Scott Derrickson
6/10

Central Intelligence (2016) blu-ray
Rawson Marshall Thurber
a few laughs, better than i thought it would be 4.5/10

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) blu-ray
Bryan Singer
Worst of teh prequels but I thought it got better on rewatch, Fassbender is great 7/10

Blood Father (2016) dvd
Jean-François Richet
4.5/10

The Fall (2013-) season 3 netflix
oh i have to watch this soon

Chinatown (1974) dvd
Roman Polanski
in my top 30 9/10

Horrible Bosses dvd
I prefer the sequel 5/10

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006) blu-ray
it was funny enough once, I dont think I need to see it again but i laughed for sure 5/10

Evening good sir. I've seen none from your list this week.

Just the 3 films for me in the last 7 days, all first viewings:

The Last King of Scotland (2006, Kevin Macdonald) : 8/10
Heavenly Creatures (1994, Peter Jackson) : 7.5/10
Come Drink with Me (1966, King Hu) : 6.5/10

Hello there :)

Just one of yours this week

Heavenly Creatures (1994, Peter Jackson) : 7/10 Jacksons best and I would dare say his only good film

First Time Movie Viewing

1. The Perfect Guy (2015) 5/10
2. The Girl He Left Behind (1956)
3. Joy (2015)
4. Love with the Proper Stranger (1963) 6/10
5. Gypsy (2015) (TV) 6/10

Repeat Movie Viewing

1. The Innocents (1961) 5/10
2. Paper Moon (1973) 6/10
3. Sex and the Single Girl (1964) 5/10

First Time TV Viewing

Star Wars Rebels

Season 3, Episode 6 "Imperial Supercommands" 7/10

Gotham

Season 3, Episode 9 "The Executioner" 6/10

Scream Queens

Season 2, Episode 5 "Chanel Pour Homme-icide" 5/10

The Nine Lives of Chloe King

Season 1, Episode 1 "Pilot" 6/10
Season 1, Episode 5 "Girls Night Out" 6/10

Designated Survivor

Season 1, Episode 6 "The Interrogation" 6/10
Season 1, Episode 7 "The Traitor" 5/10

The Flash

Season 1, Episode 18 "All Star Team Up" 6.9/10
Season 1, Episode 19 "Who Is Harrison Wells?" 6.9/10

Legends of Tomorrow

Season 2, Episode 6 "Outlaw Country" 5/10

Weekly Awards

Best Film: Love with Proper Stranger (1963)
Best Actor: Steve McQueen, Love with Proper Stranger (1963)
Best Actress: Tatum O'Neal, Paper Moon (1973)

Joy - couldn't finish
Paper moon - 7.5/10

Hi there,

YOURS
Incendies 8-8.5
Nocturnal Animals 8
The Arrival 7.5
The Sicilian Clan 6

MINE
Reversal of Fortune 6.5-7
Death Wish 7

Rewatched
The Naked City 8-8.5

:)

yoo

Death Wish 7-7.5
The Naked City 7

Summer with Monika (1953) 5/10

The 39 Steps (1935) 7/10

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) 7/10

Television:

Mobile Suit Gundam -The Complete Series

Patrick R Sam

The 39 Steps (1935) 7.5-8/10

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) 4/10

def