Best and Worst : What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (14/11-20/11)

Re: What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (14/11-20/11)

I'm watching it right now
:P

Really?

yup, im about 5 mins in :)

So far I dont like it

It's only been 5 minutes!

Yeah, I dont like much about it s far but Kilmer is still to make his mark :)

Wait a minute here.

Dark said she would have gone with Douglas but she hasn't even seen Tombstone? How does that even make sense?

This is aimed at Dark too obviously.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

That's what I said too. Apparently she just started watching Tombstone.

It means that out of the ones i have seen i would have gone with Douglas.. he would take some beating that year

By the way, I have one episode left of Stranger Things.

goddamn it cush

What?

Since when do you watch TV shows?

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

I've watched a few. It's only 8 episodes and everybody seems to love it, so I gave it a shot.

I've seen both seasons of True Detective (season 1 3 times).

The Simpsons.

Come on.

Season 1 isn't so good but season 2-8 is the greatest televion you will ever see imo. I think you would love the TV show 24 too.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

They're too *beep* long man. One of the big reason I watched True Detective and Stranger Things is because of how short they were. I also watched House of Cards earlier this year, which is 13 episodes per season.

I honestly think anyone who hasn't watched the first 9 seasons of The Simpsons is missing out on one the greatest things ever. It's like never having had sex.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Imagine if in one of the past seasons of House of Cards they had a reality show star/ multiple time bankrupt business man who was being sued for fraud, used hitleresque rhetoric, lied 70% of the time and was being brought to court on rape charges who was presidential candidate.. they'd never have done it, it would be too unrealistic

I just finished Stranger Things.

look forward to your thoughts next week

you shoudlve been finished by now :)

Got it.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Interested in any of the others I watched?

Sling Blade, U Turn

I assume you'll check out Loving eventually as well? Here's my updated Jeff Nichols rankings:

1. Mud 8/10
2. Midnight Special 7/10
3. Take Shelter 7/10
4. Shotgun Stories 7/10
5. Loving 6.5/10

I assume you'll check out Loving eventually as well? Here's my updated Jeff Nichols rankings:

1. Mud 8/10
2. Midnight Special 7/10
3. Take Shelter 7/10
4. Shotgun Stories 7/10
5. Loving 6.5/10

oh ill see it for completions sake for sure

Leaving Las Vegas: here's me review:
The 15 minutes to the movie before the title appears is one of the best intros ever. The relationship between the two characters is mesmerizing and the 'pool side' scene was nothing short from amazing. The movie is highly explicit ("He held me by my hair and came on my face then he kicked me off the bed and told me to leave ." is just an example.), brutal, blunt and gut wrenching. The Good bluesy soundtrack fitted perfectly and to me this was the best performance by Nicolas Cage ever. Unfortunately, I am a pretty (as in good looking) influenceable person (When I watched a fistful of dollars I paused it and went to buy myself some rum cigars), I drank three cold beers and drank two glasses of Disaronno Amaretto while watching this movie...9/10

U-Turn: been trying to find that one all summer

Adaptation: so, do you think it's better Dan matchstick men ? Glad u liked it!

War of the worlds : I could say the same as you. it's been a long while and I just remember thinking it was OK

Wall Street: watched it for the first time last year and really liked it a lot. 7.8/10

Tombstone: A personal favourite of mine in the genre. 8.5/10

Mine:

Savages (2012 TV): I love most movies from Oliver Stone. This particular movie's genre is among my favourite, the cinematography is great the acting is all right, Del Toro was great but something just didn't click. I still can't quite put my finger on it as to why, but I hardly cared about anything. I guess the story never hooked me up. Maybe I was not in the right set of mind. But again I usually love these types of movies. The few and short action scenes were good plus they were wearing cool masks. So there's always that. Could've been great but was just average. 5.5/10

Armour of God (1986 DVD): Jackie Chan is at the bar of the direction, the stunts choreography, has the leading role and sings the theme song... Just another day at work for him. It's really impressive. The movie is very funny, has some great action and a good story. Everything you can ask for from a Chan movie, it delivers. (This movie changed the way I popped my chewing gum when I first saw it. Still trying to master the art.) 7.1/10

Armour of God 2: Operation Condor (1991 DVD): Jackie toned the sequel down from a R rating to a PG-13 and it shows. Personally I think it takes a little edge away from the movie. There's a lot of funny moments, the action is great and the final fight, with the huge fan, is a sight to see. It entertains and makes you smile but not one of his best. 6.5/10

Son in law (1993DVD): Pauly Shore; you either like him or dislike him. I doubt there's a lot of people who just "don't mind him". Personally, I like him. I grew up with his movies as a teenager. I used to laugh while watching this one but so many years later it saddens me to say that it was not as funny. It's still a sweet, feel good comedy, very simple but effective. 6/10 (was a 7)

Loaded Gun 1 (1993 DVD): This National lampoon goes full throttle with a rate of 5 jokes/minute and it never stops. Everyone is bound to find his share of laughs one way or another. They had so many ideas for jokes and they certainly went all the way with them. No effort was wasted. I liked Samuel L Jackson and Emilio Estevez characters and I liked the chemistry between the two actors but the two characters made an awkward duo. Normally you have a high and a low, a positive and a negative. They are both too "serious" and "low-keyed". (which is where it fails to truly mimic lethal weapon) Thankfully there is a bunch of awesome appearances. (William Shatner, Charlie sheen ,Woopie Goldberg, Bruce Willis, the ninja turtles, John Lovitz, Tim Curry, Denis Leary)
6.5/10

Woochie The demon slayer (2009 Blu-ray): This movie was suppose to have "amazing special effects" but they actually were mediocre. The settings were well made and nice looking, the costumes too. But the monsters, the stunts and the action scenes were rather poor. As for the story, it's all over the place and quite hard to keep focus on. There's a nice touch of humour, lots of interesting characters and some cool ideas but all in all, it was a colourful and disjointed mess. What with the lost flute, magic paintings, the amulets, magic necklaces, invisible shackles, magical knife...It was too much and over 2hrs was too long. I expected more from this Korean blockbuster. 6/10

The campaign (2012 TV): Two actors that I think are really funny are both in one of their least funny movie. The story is a very simple political satire, the acting was so-so, there was some funny moments but overall it was nothing impressive and far from a game changer. 5.6/10

Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban (2004 DVD): FACTOID
-this is the only Potter movie which I have read the book (loved it)
- I first saw this movie when it came out in the cinema. Enjoyed it a lot. (It held up pretty good in my living room.)
-only other Potter movie I watched is The Chamber of secrets and I did not like it. (5.4/10)
- I also own The order of the Phoenix which I plan to watch next.
-I went to see my grandma this week and when I got in she got scared while lying on her couch and she said:" I thought there was a monkey on the wall."I said "No, it's me grandma."
- I have no interest in The goblet of fire and The philosopher's stone
-I am interested in all the other movies
- I rate this movie 7.5 as in "very good".
- I lent the movie Once upon a Time in Mexico to a friend and he hasn't contacted me in more than six months. Not even a text message. Should I worry?

10 000 BC (2008 TV): I watched almost an hour before I had enough and started doing some stuff but I let it play on the TV. It's a pretty bad movie. 4/10

Workaholics Season 3 (DVD): It took me a little more than a month to finish it but it was a blast. Ah yeah! Funny stuff right there. 8/10

Excuse my English, I am French-Canadian

I liked Matchstick Men slightly more than Adaptation.

Maybe you should give War of the Worlds another shot like I did.

I haven't seen any of yours, but I might watch Savages soon as part of my Oliver Stone marathon I'm doing right now.

Oops, I hope you didn't read all my review for savages. If so I'm sorry for the spoiler. If you didn't you can read it now I took the spoiler away. You might like the movie but I say prepare to be disappointed.

I guess you're not one of the many Harry Potter's fan?

You should watch a Jackie Chan movie once in a while, they are really entertaining.

I didn't see the spoiler.

Oh I have seen all the Harry Potter movies, but it's been far too long to properly rate them.

I like the Rush Hour movies.

You gotta watch The Apartment. It's a classic.

Yeah I know. I haven't even watched odd couple. I ordered it on Amazon and they ran out of stock and never received it.

YOURS:

MINE: (Very slow week)
Dancer In The Dark(2000) dir Lars Von Trier 9/10

Russian Ark(2002) dir Aleksandr Sokurov 8/10

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(1974) dir Tobe Hooper 8/10

Love & Friendship(2016) dir Whit Stillman 7/10

Ice Age Collision Course(2016) 5/10

Hey Matty

Just one of yours

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(1974) dir Tobe Hooper 7/10

Thanks for the reply(as always). But while I got you here can I ask for your favorite 2016 movies?

well as tradition goes, we have a huge round up of the years movies on the last thread of the year but I will tell you the ones in the running for top spot so far are Nocturnal Animals, The Nice Guys, Green Room, The VVitch :)

Oh exciting! I'm rather new to IMDb and was not aware of the tradition. I've seen The Nice Guys, Green Room, and The VVitch which I like all quite a bit! I'm also very excited to see Nocturnal Animals.

Yes please join in the fun at our end of year celebration thread, it has been happening for several years now

Hey ricky

not seen either but interested in the latter

Hacksaw Ridge (2016) 10/10 - Best movie of the year so far!!
Saving Private Ryan (1998) 6.5/10 - A good film with weak drama story. I think Hacksaw Ridge has a better story, casting and acting.

_
http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm56tvJqLq1qb9pa3o1_500.gif

Hacksaw Ridge - ill get to it eventually, from the trailers i thought it might be a bit too christiany
Saving Private Ryan - the battle scenes are intense but the story parts are not great 6.5/10

YOURS

Incendies (2010, Denis Villeneuve) 8/10

The Dead Zone (1983, David Cronenberg) 8/10

MINE

The Young Pope -season 1- (2016, Paolo Sorrentino) 10/10

Channel Zero: Candle Cove -season 1- (2016, Craig William Macneill) 8/10

Under the Shadow (2016, Babak Anvari) 7.5/10

The Tin Drum (1979, Volker Schlöndorff) 7/10

Just the Tim Drum but it's been far too long to comment

Again I have not seen any of your movies..

My list for this week:

Limitless (2011): solid mystery thriller about a slacker getting involved with a new drug that let's people gain access to 100% of their brain for a short time. I enjoyed this movie very much. Great acting by Bradley Cooper, exciting plot with interesting twists and great effects. My only complains are that some parts of the story are not exploited enough, they could have gotten more out of it. 8/10

21 Jump Street (2012): very funny movie about two young cops who get an undercover assignment in a high school to find out were the new dangerous drugs are coming from. The chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum was spot on in this one and I liked how the movie made fun of cop movies and high school comedies. 7/10

Conan the Destroyer (1984): the original Conan movie is good because it shows a great origin story and has a great villain in the form of Telsa Doom. This one has neither of those and was clearly made to earn some easy cash. The story is forgettable, the cast is awful and the action scenes are not all that great. The locations and sets they visit are cool though but that's about it. 4/10

The Dark Crystal (1982): this title is always mentioned in 'underrated fantasy movies' lists so I thought I give it a try. But I couldn't get used to the all-puppets-cast. There is a good story here and incredible set pieces but because the puppets hardly show facial expressions I find it hard to 'root' and 'identify' with the main characters. Would have liked it better if they used a few human actors. 6/10

The Martian (2015) Excellent movie about Matt Demon being left on Mars when the rest of his crew think he's dead. Great cast and I like how they mix serious drama and lighthearted humor in this story about survival. It could have been better by having more focus on Matt's character and make it a shorter movie (like Gravity did for example) but I still enjoyed it and the nail biting ending more then made up for the slightly long middle part. 8/10

:) I've seen all of yours

Limitless - I find this to be a well made and acted piece that is better than a lot of people give it credit for. 7.5

21 Jump street - really fun comedy, ended up better than most people imagined I bet 7.5

Conan the Destroyer - a poor and annoying sequel to the masterpiece original 4.5

The Dark Crystal - not seen fir a while but your rating seem about tight

The Martin - pretty Hollywood styled film but well done 6.5

Nice to read that you also liked Limitless, I'm busy recommending it to everyone that hasn't seen it. :D

I won't go as far to call the original Conan a masterpiece but yes it deserved a better sequel or none at all. But I think Red Sonja is even worse..

I have Conan the Barbarian as the greatest fantasy film ever made :)

Hey buddy, a big film week for you this week.

Incendies - . "It feels like a rich Greek Tragedy with a lot of heft and emotion, wonderfully acted and directed." Agreed with this sentiment, one of his best. 8/10

Nocturnal Animals - You seen my thoughts last week, agreed one of the best films of the year. It works the 3 timelines effortlessly, hell of a stylish film. - 8/10

The Dead Zone - Yeh top 3 Cronenberg, great adaptation. - 7.5/10

Heathers - Yeh really has that re-watchable factor, it's been a few years since i laat watched it but it's hella fun. - 7/10

Jeez we rated each film we've both watched the same lol, bar one mind you that I'll get onto.

For me this week

First Time Views

Arrival(Cinema) - Denis Villeneuve - I felt differently about this, i thought the ideas were strong as well as the execution of it's ideas. The Alien arrival being the back drop to the whole story, language and how the human race work together and how imperfect we are as a race. The sentimental story that comes to the forefront at the end really, really worked for me. I do get why it wouldn't work/spoil it for some. This is certainly not in the same vein or hokiness of Interstellar i disagree with that completely. My favorite of the year, just ahead of Nocturnal Animals. - 8.5/10

Under the Shadow - Babak Anvari - As a mother and daughter struggle to cope with the terrors of the post-revolution, war-torn Tehran of the 1980s, a mysterious evil begins to haunt their home. Billed as horror which is not completely fair, it has real horror elements for sure, and it unnerved me throughout it's running time. Also acts as a social commentary, Iranian films always interest me because of this. There is so much to say. The direction itself is top quality with not a minute of screen time wasted, acting is good, similar in theme with the Babadook. - 8/10

Trolls(Cinema) - Had very low expectations going into this, but i was pleasantly surprised. Jokes are hit and miss but it's at times relentlessly happy that it's infectious. Worked for the young audience in the screening. - 6/10

Repeat Views

The Cat Returns - Hiroyuki Morita - Played more for a young audience, it has a simple story but is very charming. Love the roughness of the animation. - 7/10

TV

X-Files - Season 8 - Not as bad as i first feared but still one of my least favorite seasons. Decent transition but nothing like the quality it was before.

Ep 1 - Within - Decent opener and intro to Dogget - 7/10
Ep 2 - Without - More of the same in 2nd part of opener. - 7/10
Ep 3 - Patience - Decent creature of the week but the start of the poorly written episodes. - 6/10
Ep 4 - Roadrunners - I really liked this one, an intriguing episode - 7.5/10
Ep 5 - Invocation - Another poorly written episode, has its moments. - 6/10
Ep 6 - Redrum - Personal fave of the series, smartly done. - 8/10
Ep 7 - Via Negativa - Lost interest in this quickly. - 3/10
Ep 8 - Surekill - Passable, some poor dialog. - 4/10
Ep 9 - Salvage - i quite liked it - 6.5/10
Ep 10 - Badlaa - Has real promise but became tedious, the episode where i really warmed to Dogget a lot more though. - 4/10
Ep 11 - The Gift - Continues in a long line of episodes within this season where something is missing. - 5/10
Ep 12 - Medusa - Full of holes, never worked. - 3/10
Ep 13 - Per Mannum - Things get real again for Scully and Co. - 7/10
Ep 14 - This is not happening - More of a personal episodes for the characters, has good moments. - 6.5/10
Ep 15 - Deadalive - Continuation - 6.5/10
Ep 16 - Three Words - Mulder back in the fold, on screen anyway. over convoluted but passable. - 6/10
Ep 17 - Empedocles - Not great. - 5/10
Ep 18 - Vienen - Pretty good, some fun moments. - 7/10
Ep 19 - Alone - Creature of the week, wasn't fussed for it, dislike the characters. - 5/10
Ep 20 - Essence - Part one of the mythology closer, Has terminator-like soldiers. - 7/10
Ep 21 - Existence - I enjoyed despite the substandard writing and conclusion. - 7/10

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr Johnson

Hey

Other than Arrival i have only seen s8 of X-files which even though is a little uneven is still a strong season of television and imo the last really good season of x-files.