Best and Worst : What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (14/11-20/11)

What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (14/11-20/11)

Welcome back to another week of the BEST & WORST edition of 'what movies did you see last week?' thread. For those who haven't been part of it before, basically your hosts (us) posts our weekly movies and you can comment on those and list your movie for the same time frame. We will get back to you on yours and you can talk to other users here about their films. It's a great place to talk about film.

Tried to Watch Exotica (1994) & Thank You for Smoking (2005), but could not get into either, I may give the later a chance later.

FIRST TIME MOVIE VIEWING

Incendies (2010, Denis Villeneuve)

This directors last film before he started making english language films is probably his best (from what I have seen). It is based on a play which is in turn inspired by some real events and follows twins as they journey to the Middle East to discover their family history, and fulfil their mother's last wishes. It feels like a rich Greek Tragedy with a lot of heft and emotion, wonderfully acted and directed.
8/10

Nocturnal Animals (2016, Tom Ford)

Cinema
It has been seven years since Tom Ford's directorial debut with the excellent and stylish 'A Single Man' and now for his sophomore effort he presents an even more stylish psychological thriller based on the Austin Wright novel Tony and Susan. In this film Amy Adams (Arrival) plays an art gallery owner who is haunted by her ex-husband's (Jake Gyllenhaal) novel, a violent thriller that could be interpreted as a veiled threat and a symbolic revenge tale. The film moves effortlessly through the reality and fiction within the story that points back at reality like a warped mirror. This is probably the best films of the year and will be hard to top for many movie goers.
8/10

The Shop Around the Corner (1940, Ernst Lubitsch)

This nifty little classic sees two employees at a gift shop who can barely stand each other, without realizing that they are falling in love through the post as each other's anonymous pen pal. It is a very well constructed tale with assured direction and Jimmy Stewart is good in the lead. This was the first film adaptation of the play Parfumerie which was also the basis of the more modern You've Got Mail (1998) amongst others.
7/10

Devil in a Blue Dress (1995, Carl Franklin)

This is an American neo-noir mystery film set in 1948, based on Walter Mosley's novel of the same name that follows an African American man (Denzel Washington) who is hired to find a woman (Jennifer Beals) and gets mixed up in a murderous political scandal. The film is shot beautifully with great period detail and a superb supporting cast but suffers from a languid unfocused pace for the first half of the film. It really comes together in the third act though which elevates the whole film.
6.5/10

The Arrival (2016, Denis Villeneuve)

Cinema
This film takes a serious look at what it would be like trying to communicate with an alien culture for the first time. I like the premise and the film is well made, I just did not find it too compelling. The third act felt like it was trying too hard much in the was Interstellar does but not as bad as that. Also in some ways it reminds me of Monsters but nowhere near as effective. This is my least favourite film from this director and it would have been nice if that was more a straight hard scifi like 2001 rather than shoe horning some emotional entanglements like they did in Interstellar.
6/10

The Sicilian Clan (1969, Henri Verneuil)

As was custom at the time for some european productions this French crime film was shot simultaneously in French, English and Italian for different markets. I watched the French version with english subtitles which is a little longer than the english version. The film follows French criminal (Alain Delon) as he works with a French based Sicilian crime family on a heist. The movie has some interesting set pieces but a lot of the direction is fairly pedestrian. The choices made in the film also make it quite dated compared to say the films from the same period by Jean Pierre Melville which have a timeless quality. The score is by famed composer Ennio Morricone (Once Upon a Time in the West) but is not a very good one or at least not suitable tone wise to the material and seems to be edited in haphazard. The film is still solid enough for a once through and the actors do a good job.
6/10

The Contender (2000, Rod Lurie)

In this politically set film Joan Allen (Bourne Ultimatum) plays Senator Laine Hanson who is a contender for US Vice President, but information and disinformation about her past surfaces that threatens to de-rail her confirmation. I like political based talky films and this was pretty solid with a good cast but near the end it turned to schmaltzy for my taste. I could see the twist coming but that was ok because the duplicitous politics leading up to it was good enough.
5.5-6/10

One False Move (1992, Carl Franklin)

This nasty little B movie was written by and stars Billy Bob Thornton and plot wise is a fairly typical criminals on the lamb kind of film. However despite its low budget and shortcomings it is never boring and has a few fun moments but has a weird abrupt ending.
5/10

Black Christmas (2006, Glen Morgan)

This remake of one of the earliest slasher films Black Christmas (1974) only resembles the original in setting and a few plot points but has a very different tone and style. The story has an escaped maniac returning to his childhood home on Christmas Eve, which is now a sorority house, and beginning to murder the sorority sisters one by one. The film is not good by any stretch but it does try to throw everything at this story until it goes *beep* crazy. There is an off-kilter back story told in flashbacks that clearly roots this film in something other than the realistic, so if you just go along with that it is a fairly good time and better (but not much) that its reputation.
5/10

Resurrecting the Champ (2007, Rod Lurie)

This film takes its inspiration from an LA time article of the same name about a long forgotten boxer found living rough in the streets. It is well enough made and an interesting enough yarn, the acting was mostly passable although I did not really care for Samuel L. Jackson as the homeless man.
5/10

Murder in the First (1995, Marc Rocco)

This film is based on an interesting true story with an all star cast where Christian Bale plays an eager and idealistic young attorney who defends an Alcatraz prisoner (Kevin Bacon) accused of murdering a fellow inmate. With everything the film had going for it, it's a shame it is never more than competent and at its worse overly schmaltzy with some cringe worthy scenes and a sappy score throughout. Slater is great and Bacon has some moments but sometimes he seems to ham it up a little too much. The subject matter is of interest to me so it was worth watching but for better films based in Alcatraz check out Birdman of Alcatraz (1962) and Escape from Alcatraz (1979).
5/10

Time After Time (1979, Nicholas Meyer)

I actually thought I had seen this film before but I think I was getting it confused with Jack's Back (1988). This film has a pretty good reputation for being a fun adventure where H.G. Wells (Malcolm McDowell) pursues Jack the Ripper (David Warner) to the 20th Century when the serial murderer uses the future writer's time machine to escape his time period. I usually don't like McDowell but he is solid here and the whole film is well acted and makes great used of the fish out of water premise. Unfortunately it lacks any kind of intensity and feels rather ho hum for a lot of the running time.
4.5/10

REPEAT MOVIE VIEWING

The Dead Zone (1983, David Cronenberg)

blu-ray
This film based on the Stephen King book of the same name is one of the better adaptations of the author work. The story has a man (Christopher Walken) awaken from a coma to discover he has a psychic ability. The film is filled with great scenes and is a start film as well as being my second favourite Cronenberg film behind The Fly.
7.5/10

Heathers (1988, Michael Lehmann)

blu-ray
This cult classic has an odd dreamy tone and a lot of memorable lines. Winona Ryder (Dracula) plays and intelligent teen who in order to get out of the snobby clique that is destroying her good-girl reputation, teams up with a dark sociopath (Christian Slater) in a plot to get revenge on the cool kids. Ryder is passable but Slater steals the show and they are both surrounded by solid supports. The film has some great satire and may suffer from being a tad long for what it is but is still always re-watchable.
7/10

FIRST TIME TV VIEWING

Transparent (2016) Season Three

This award winning show about a family who's patriarch comes out as trans at a late age is still delivering and I think this is the drama/comedies best season yet.
Highly Recommended

WEEKLY MOVIE AWARDS

BEST FILM - Incendies
BEST ACTOR - Christopher Walken - The Dead Zone
BEST ACTRESS - Lubna Azabel - Incendies
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Martin Sheen - The Dead Zone
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Mélissa Désormeaux-Poulin - Incendies
BEST SCRIPT: Tom Ford - Nocturnal Animals
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Seamus McGarvey - Nosturnal Animals
BEST SCORE: Abel Korzeniowski - Nocturnal Animals
BEST DIRECTOR: Tom Ford - Nocturnal Animals

10/10 - Perfection (or as close to it as possible)
09/10 - An Excellent film
08/10 - A VERY Good film
07/10 - A Good film
06/10 - A Solid film
05/10 - An Average film
04/10 - Below Average film
03/10 - A mostly bad film
02/10 - A mostly terrible film
01/10 - Awful through and through
00/10 - Not only awful but offensive too

Re: What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (14/11-20/11)

Hey! I'm watching something right now, so I'll get back to you later. Here's my thoughts on yours though:

Incendies - very well made and has some powerful moments. I felt it was too ling though. Actually my least favorite from Villeneuve. 7/10

The Shop Around the Corner - I really enjoyed this one. Jimmy Stewart is wonderful as always. 7.5/10

Arrival - saw my thoughts last week. Shame you didn't like it more. 8/10

The Dead Zone - I'm sure yoy remember I saw this one not too long ago and liked it quite a bit. Walken is great. 7.5/10

Heathers - I saw this one for the first time earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. It was darker than I expected, but works as a good satire. 7.5/10

You're lucky you got to see Nocturnal Animals already!

My updated Villeneuve

1. Incendies 8/10
2. Prisoners 7.5-8
3. Sicario 7.5
4. Enemy 7.5
5. Arrival 6/10

Nocturnal Animals is out where you are though, in limited theatres right?

1. Prisoners 8.5/10
2. Sicario 8/10
3. Arrival 8/10
4. Enemy 8/10
5. Polytechnique 7.5/10
6. Incendies 7/10

Not near me it isn't. I probably won't be able to see it until next month. :(

You interested in any others?

The Contender and Murder in the First are on my watchlist.

I think you should check Devil in a Blue Dress and even the Sicilian Clan

Yeah maybe those two as well.

YOURS

Incendies - 8/10 Powerful, powerful stuff
Arrival - 8.5/10 The difference is that I found it extremely compelling
The Contender - 7/10
One False Move - 7/10
Black Christmas - 3.5/10
Resurrecting the Champ - 6/10
Murder in the First - 7/10 - I actually nominate Bacon for this
Time After Time - 7/10
The Dead Zone - 6.5/10
Heathers - 4.5/10

Wow, this may be the biggest difference we have ever had.

MINE

Outrageous Fortune (1987 Arthur Hiller) - 5.5/10
Ruthless People (1986 Jim Abrahams & David Zucker) - 6/10
The Ladykillers (1955 Alexander Mackendrick) - 6/10
Dog Eat Dog (2016 Paul Schrader) - 5.5/10
Suddenly, Last Summer (1959 Joseph L. Mankiewicz) - 8/10
Cafe Society (2016 Woody Allen) - 7/10
Some Like It Hot (1959 Billy Wilder) - 7.5/10
All That Heaven Allows (1955 Douglas Sirk) - 7/10
The Sound of Music (1965 Robert Wise) - 7.5/10
Detour (1945 Edgar G. Ulmer) - 7/10
Dark Star (1974 John Carpenter) - 5.5/10

Ranking/rating John Carpenter

1. Halloween
2. In the Mouth of Madness
3. The Thing
4. Escape from New York
5. Escape from L.A.
6. Assault on Precinct 13
7. Vampires
8. Big Trouble in Little China
9. Starman
10. Prince of Darkness
11. They Live
12. The Fog
13. Christine
14. Memoirs of an Invisible Man
15. Dark Star
16. Ghosts of Mars
17. Village of the Damned
18. The Ward

Television

Frasier: Season 6 (1998-1999) - 7/10

Film Awards

BEST PICTURE - Suddenly, Last Summer
BEST ACTOR - Montgomery Clift (Suddenly, Last Summer)
BEST ACTRESS - Elizabeth Taylor (Suddenly, Last Summer)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Willem Dafoe (Dog Eat Dog)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Katharine Hepburn (Suddenly, Last Summer)
BEST DIRECTOR - Joseph L. Mankiewicz (Suddenly, Last Summer)
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - The Sound of Music
BEST SCORE - Suddenly, Last Summer

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Outrageous Fortune (1987 Arthur Hiller) - 6/10
Ruthless People (1986 Jim Abrahams & David Zucker) - 6/10
Suddenly, Last Summer (1959 Joseph L. Mankiewicz) - keen to see
Cafe Society (2016 Woody Allen) - 7/10
Some Like It Hot (1959 Billy Wilder) - 7.5/10
The Sound of Music (1965 Robert Wise) - 5/10
Detour (1945 Edgar G. Ulmer) - 7/10
Dark Star (1974 John Carpenter) - 3/10

The Ladykillers (1955 Alexander Mackendrick) - saved by a solid last act for me. I much prefer the Coen Brothers remake. 6/10

Cafe Society (2016 Woody Allen) - They captured the time period well and I liked the cast. 7/10

Some Like It Hot (1959 Billy Wilder) - One of my favorites. Lemmon and Curtis are terrific, the story is a ton of fun, and there are lots of laughs. 9/10

Detour (1945 Edgar G. Ulmer) - good short Noir with a great ending. 7.5/10

Dark Star (1974 John Carpenter) - Carpenter's worst for me because it's so goddamn boring. 4/10

The last act was my least favorite aspect. It goes on forever. I also prefer the remake.

I didn't find Dark Star THAT boring and I liked the cheesiness of it. It also had some good bits. I liked the running joke about the bomb, I liked the elevator scene and I liked the beach ball alien LOL.

I just didn't find Some Like It Hot nearly as fun as you, but it was obviously enjoyable.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

The last act was the best part for me because it finally became enjoyable.

I thought Dark Star was pretty damn boring and poorly acted. Good score though and the elevator scene was decent.

Funny how we had the opposite reaction to The Ladykillers. I found the first half more enjoyable and you found the last act more enjoyable.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

I only seen the sound of music because my father worship that movie. As for me, it's not my cup of tea. 5/10

Mine:

Savages (2012 TV): I love most movies from Oliver Stone. This particular movie's genre is among my favourite, the cinematography is great the acting is all right, Del Toro was great but something just didn't click. I still can't quite put my finger on it as to why, but I hardly cared about anything. I guess the story never hooked me up. Maybe I was not in the right set of mind. But again I usually love these types of movies. The few and short action scenes were good plus they were wearing cool masks. So there's always that. The fake ending before the real ending was really unnecessary. Could've been great but was just average. 5.5/10

Armour of God (1986 DVD): Jackie Chan is at the bar of the direction, the stunts choreography, has the leading role and sings the theme song... Just another day at work for him. It's really impressive. The movie is very funny, has some great action and a good story. Everything you can ask for from a Chan movie, it delivers. (This movie changed the way I popped my chewing gum when I first saw it. Still trying to master the art.) 7.1/10

Armour of God 2: Operation Condor (1991 DVD): Jackie toned the sequel down from a R rating to a PG-13 and it shows. Personally I think it takes a little edge away from the movie. There's a lot of funny moments, the action is great and the final fight, with the huge fan, is a sight to see. It entertains and makes you smile but not one of his best. 6.5/10

Son in law (1993DVD): Pauly Shore; you either like him or dislike him. I doubt there's a lot of people who just "don't mind him". Personally, I like him. I grew up with his movies as a teenager. I used to laugh while watching this one but so many years later it saddens me to say that it was not as funny. It's still a sweet, feel good comedy, very simple but effective. 6/10 (was a 7)

Loaded Gun 1 (1993 DVD): This National lampoon goes full throttle with a rate of 5 jokes/minute and it never stops. Everyone is bound to find his share of laughs one way or another. They had so many ideas for jokes and they certainly went all the way with them. No effort was wasted. I liked Samuel L Jackson and Emilio Estevez characters and I liked the chemistry between the two actors but the two characters made an awkward duo. Normally you have a high and a low, a positive and a negative. They are both too "serious" and "low-keyed". (which is where it fails to truly mimic lethal weapon) Thankfully there is a bunch of awesome appearances. (William Shatner, Charlie sheen ,Woopie Goldberg, Bruce Willis, the ninja turtles, John Lovitz, Tim Curry, Denis Leary)
6.5/10

Woochie The demon slayer (2009 Blu-ray): This movie was suppose to have "amazing special effects" but they actually were mediocre. The settings were well made and nice looking, the costumes too. But the monsters, the stunts and the action scenes were rather poor. As for the story, it's all over the place and quite hard to keep focus on. There's a nice touch of humour, lots of interesting characters and some cool ideas but all in all, it was a colourful and disjointed mess. What with the lost flute, magic paintings, the amulets, magic necklaces, invisible shackles, magical knife...It was too much and over 2hrs was too long. I expected more from this Korean blockbuster. 6/10

The campaign (2012 TV): Two actors that I think are really funny are both in one of their least funny movie. The story is a very simple political satire, the acting was so-so, there was some funny moments but overall it was nothing impressive and far from a game changer. 5.6/10

Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban (2004 DVD): FACTOID
-this is the only Potter movie which I have read the book (loved it)
- I first saw this movie when it came out in the cinema. Enjoyed it a lot. (It held up pretty good in my living room.)
-only other Potter movie I watched is The Chamber of secrets and I did not like it. (5.4/10)
- I also own The order of the Phoenix which I plan to watch next.
-I went to see my grandma this week and when I got in she got scared while lying on her couch and she said:" I thought there was a monkey on the wall."I said "No, it's me grandma."
- I have no interest in The goblet of fire and The philosopher's stone
-I am interested in all the other movies
- I rate this movie 7.5 as in "very good".
- I lent the movie Once upon a Time in Mexico to a friend and he hasn't contacted me in more than six months. Not even a text message. Should I worry?

10 000 BC (2008 TV): I watched almost an hour before I had enough and started doing some stuff but I let it play on the TV. It's a pretty bad movie. 4/10

Workaholics Season 3 (DVD): It took me a little more than a month to finish it but it was a blast. Ah yeah! Funny stuff right there. 8/10

Excuse my English, I am French-Canadian

Savages - 6.5/10 - The first 20 min. were crap but after that I started to get into it and the ending is nuts. Hayek and Del Toro were terrific. Oliver Stone is one of my favorite directors and the lowest I rate any of his films is 6.5/10. Savages is his 4th worst imo.
Son in Law - been too long
Loaded Weapon 1 - 5/10 - not very funny or entertaining but I dislike spoof movies in general
The Campaign - 4.5/10
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 7/10
10,000 B.C. - 4.5/10

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Hanyo (1960) (The Housemaid) / Ki-young Kim

Hanyo (2010) (The Housemaid) / Sang-soo Im

Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks (2016)

mf

Trust me. I’m The Doctor.

Ive liked the other animated lost episodes I have seen so will probably see this one eventually. Plus thats my favourite era doctor.

First Time Viewings:

Leaving Las Vegas (1995, Mike Figgis)
Nicolas Cage stars as an alcoholic screenwriter who is fired from his job and goes to Las Vegas to drink himself to death, where he makes an unlikely friendship with a prostitute. The film is well made and has some great scenes, some of which are quite powerful. It's the performances from Cage and Elisabeth Shue that really makes it work though.
7.5/10

Sling Blade (1996, Billy Bob Thornton)
This one is about a simple man who has been hospitalized since his childhood murder of his mother and her lover, but it now being released. Billy Bob Thornton is brilliant in the lead role and the supporting cast chips in nicely as well. There are some standout scenes and overall I liked it despute some slower patches.
7/10

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011, Tomas Alfredson)
Set during the Cold War, this one is about an espionage veteran who is forced from retirement to uncover a Soviet agent within MI6. It's well shot and has a great ensemvle cast, but I just couldn't get into the story.
6/10

U Turn (1997, Oliver Stone)
This Neo-Noir is about a man (Sean Penn) who is heading to Vegas to payoff his gambling debt before the Mafia kills him. His car breaks down in a small Arizona town and he finds it increasingly difficult to leave the down due to a number of circumstances. I really liked the story and the places it went and the cast here is superb. It also has a good score from Ennio Morricone, as well as some nice pre-existing tracks as well. Stone's crazy editing works well here and overall I really liked this one.
7.5/10

Adaptation. (2002, Spike Jonze)
A lovelorn screenwriter becomes desperate as he tries and fails to adapt a novel for the screen. Nicolas Cage is terrific in his double role and Chris Cooper and Meryl Streep are also great. The film has an interesting structure to it and the story went in some interesting directions that I liked.
7.5/10

The Hand (1981, Oliver Stone)
This early effort from Oliver Stone is about a comic book artist who loses his hand in an accident, only for his hand to start going after those who anger him. The film doesn't have the best reputation, but I really didn't think it was that bad. Michael Caine is good, I liked the score, and there were some really good scenes scattered throughout. It does have pacing issues though and it often lacks tension.
6/10

Loving (2016, Jeff Nichols)
The latest effort from writer/director Jeff Nichols is based on the true story of an interracial couple that were arrested in 1958 for getting married. Of course the film is very well made and Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga are really good in the lead roles. I felt their relationship didn't get enough development though and the time jumps were rushed. The film never really kicks into high gear and what we're left with is a well crafted, but disappointing film. It's not bad, but I wouldn't quite say that I liked it.
6.5/10

Repeat Viewings:

War of the Worlds (2005, Steven Spielberg)
Steven Spielberg's adaptation of H.G. Wells' novel about an alien invasion on earth is a film I hadn't seen since the theaters 11 years ago when I was a kid. At the time I remember thinking it was just okay, but I've been meaning to give it another shot. Turns out I actually like it quite a bit now. Tom Cruise is really good as he usually is and the film is loaded with tension. John Williams' score is really good, the sound design is great, and the special effects hold up pretty well. The first alien attack is truly terrifying and there are many great scenes throughout. I definitely won't be waiting 11 years to watch this one again.
7.5/10

The Apartment (1960, Billy Wilder)
This classic is about a man who tries to rise in his company by letting his superiors use his apartment for trysts, but complications and a romance of his own ensue. The script tells a great story and lots of memorable dialogue, as well as a great set of characters. Jack Lemmon is incredible and Shirley MacLaine is excellent as well and their chemistry is wonderful. The supporting players are great as well and the film is well paced and engaging throughout. One of my favorites.
9/10

Wall Street (1987, Oliver Stone)
This one's about a young stockbroker who trades on illegal inside information taken through a ruthless and greedy corporate raider who takes him under his wing. A lot of the stock market talk goes right over my head and Charlie Sheen isn't quite good enough for the lead role. The pacing can be a bit slow at times too. Michael Douglas and Martin Sheen are great though and there are enough great scenes to make this one worthwhile.
7/10

Tombstone (1993, George P. Cosmatos)
One of many telling of the Wyatt Earp story, this one stars Kurt Russell as Earp and he is surrounded by an all star cast. It's well made and features lots of great scenes. The sets, costumes, and Cinematography are great and Val Kilmer is brilliant as Doc Holiday.
8/10

Movie Awards:

BEST FILM - The Apartment
BEST ACTOR - Jack Lemmon (The Apartment)
BEST ACTRESS - Shirley MacLaine (The Apartment)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Val Kilmer (Tombstone)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Meryl Streep (Adaptation.)
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - William A. Fraker (Tombstone)
BEST SCORE - John Williams (War of the Worlds)
BEST SCRIPT - Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond (The Apartment)
BEST DIRECTOR - Billy Wilder (The Apartment)

Leaving Las Vegas - 8/10 My favorite Nicolas Cage movie and performance
Sling Blade - 9/10
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - 8/10
U-Turn - 6.5/10
Adaptation - 7/10
The Hand - 6.5/10
War of the Worlds - 7.5/10
The Apartment - 7.5/10
Wall Street - 7/10
Tombstone - 8/10

Here are my awards

Picture - Sling Blade
Actor - Thornton, Sling Blade
Actress - MacLaine, The Apartment
Supporting Actor - Douglas, Wall Street
Supporting Actress - Streep, Adaptation
Director - Thornton, Sling Blade
Cinematography - Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Score - War of the Worlds

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

I had no idea you liked Tinker Tailor that much. It was my runner up for Cinematography this week.

I was wondering if you'd pick Thornton or Cage. I knew it wouldn't be Lemmon for you. Douglas is great in Wall Street, but I think Kilmer is brilliant in Tombstone.

It is very close between Kilmer and Douglas, but Douglas is slightly more memorable for me.

I was captivated by TTSS every step of the way due to the pitch perfect directing, interesting story and memorable performances. I nominate it for Actor, Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing and Art Direction.

It has one of the best endings of the decade imo.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

It did have a great ending.

If not for the ending it would have been a 7/10. It is beautifully executed (no pun intended).

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

My top 10 of 2011. My most artsy line-up since the 1070s LOL.

1. Drive
2. Melancholia
3. Shame
4. The Skin I Live In
5. Take Shelter
6. The Tree of Life
7. The Turin Horse
8. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
9. Margaret
10. A Separation/The Snowtown Murders

X-Men: First Class and Warrior are my #12 and #13 btw.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

1. Drive
2. Warrior
3. Shame
4. X-Men: First Class
5. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
6. Midnight in Paris
7. The Artist
8. Another Earth
9. Sound of my Voice
10. Crazy, Stupid, Love.

The Beaver,Take Shelter, The Debt and Tree of Life would be my 11, 12, 13 and 14 :)

The Beaver is in my top 20.

Midnight in Paris is one of my least favorite Woody Allen movies actually. I like Another Earth but I hate Sound of My Voice. I think Marling is awful and the ending is ridiculous.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

A Separation would be be in my top 15 also. Forgot about that one.

Something like this:

1. Drive
2. Shame
3. X-Men: First Class
4. Carnage
5. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
6. Warrior
7. Crazy, Stupid, Love.
8. Source Code
9. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
10. Midnight in Paris

Well.. I did not expect to see Horrible Bosses :)

I replaced it with Midnight in Paris, which I forgot about, but I think Horrible Bosses is a ton of fun.

Change it back to Horrible Bosses LOL.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Are you a fan?

I like it a lot more than Midnight in Paris.

6.5/10

I prefer the sequel, which is one of the funniest movies of the last 15 years.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

I enjoyed the sequel as well (Chris Pine was hilarious), but I prefer the first.

I almost pissed my pants during the sex addicts meeting scene. That is one of the funniest scenes of all time as far as I'm concerned. Pine makes my top 15 in supporting for that film btw.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Hmm, I think I ended up preferring the sequel too

Source Code and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are my in my top 20.

Carnage was entertaining and well made but felt a bit aimless. 6.9/10

My problems with Midnight in Paris.

1. Owen Wilson was mediocre
2. The scenes in the present are just plain boring
3. I didn't buy the love story nor did I care becasue I disliked Wilson

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Carnage is actually one of my favorites from Polanski. Christoph Waltz is awesome in it.

I like Wilson in it.

I liked the acting in Carnage. It is lower Polanski for me.

What is your ranking/ratings for Polanski?

Here is mine.

1. Chinatown - 9/10
2. Rosemary's Baby - 8.5/10
3. The Pianist - 8/10
4. Tess - 7.5/10
5. The Ghost Writer - 7.5/10
6. Death and the Maiden - 7/10
7. Venus in Fur - 7/10
8. Macbeth - 7/10
9. Bitter Moon - 7/10
10. The Tenant - 7/10
11. Knife in the Water - 7/10
12. Repulsion - 6.5/10 I know, I know. It just didn't fully engage me.
13. Carnage - 6.5/10
14. The Ninth Gate - 6.5/10
15. Cul-De-Sac - 6.5/10
16. Oliver Twist - 6.5/10
17. Frantic - 5.5/10 Found this boring and poorly made
18. Pirates - 4.5/10
19. The Fearless Vampire Killers - 4/10

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

1. Chinatown 9/10
2. Rosemary's Baby 8.5/10
3. Carnage 8/10
4. The Pianist 7.5/10
5. The Tenant 7.5/10
6. The Fearless Vampire Killers 7/10
7. Frantic 7/10 - Ford's best performance in my book
8. Repulsion 7/10 - I felt the same way when I first watched it. Bumped it up to a 7 on rewatch.
9. Knife in the Water 7/10
10. Cul-de-sac 6.5/10

It is one of Ford's worst performances imo.

His best is The Fugitive imo.

You like Fearless Vampire Killers? Gross.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Well if it makes you feel any better Darky hates Fearless vampire Killers and thinks Frantic is one of Ford's worst performances. So *beep* both of you!

Yay.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Fearless Vampire Killers has great costumes and sets, a terrific score, and a fantastic ending.

1. Chinatown - 9
2. Repulsion - 8
3. The Tenant - 8
4. The Ninth Gate - 7.5
5. Bitter Moon - 7.5
6. The Pianist - 7.5
7. Rosemary's Baby - 7.5
8. Carnage - 7
9. Death and the Maiden - 7
10. The Ghost Writer - 6.5
11. Venus in Furs - 6.5
12. The Knife in the Water - 6.5
13. Tess - 6
14. Frantic - 5 (Ford sucks)
15. Cul-de-sac - 4
16. Fearless Vampire Killers - 2

😀😀😀

14. Frantic - 5 (Ford sucks)

.. I dunno if I am gonna make it through Tombstone

Screams!!!!

Tombstone is my 4th favorite western of all time.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Well I just saw a good scene between Kurt Russell and Billy Bob Thornton that will keep me watching.. for now :)