Best and Worst : 10 out of 10 movies

Re: 10 out of 10 movies

4.x/10 and lower = crap
5.x/10 = mostly negative opinions
6.x/10 = mixed-opinions (could be slightly more negative or positive depending on which side of the 6's it's on)
7.x/10 = mostly positive opinions
high 7's on up = the more praised movies.

I think that basically sums it up.

and gave HONEST ratings of a movie i am willing to bet the average ratings of movies in general would drop from where they are at currently as i imagine there are a fair amount of people using IMDb who hand out 6-7-8's (maybe even 9's and 10's) to movies they only see once and forget about

Very true. I actually believe that I did this once...I'm not sure I can even recall which movie it was but I just remember rating it highly because I thought it was brilliant on the first viewing, but on my rewatch I decided it needed to be lower. I wanted to keep the original rating just because that is how I felt about the film when I first saw it and it was new to me, but some people definitely don't realize that a rewatchable movie is as key a factor as any when rating a film. I change nearly every rating I make because I try to rewatch every movie I rate just to make sure I've rated it fairly and accurately.

there is only one movie that has a 4.x/10 or lower average that i personally scored a 7 or higher which is Showgirls (1995) (7/10) (which has a 4.6/10 average) which that movie is better than it gets credit for around here.

I don't recall if I ever saw the whole film, so I wouldn't know... But I've given a couple of 7/10s, maybe even an 8/10 to a few movies ranging from about the 5.1-5.9 average. Some people use the term "guilty pleasure" for such movies, but I refuse to accept that term because I don't feel guilty about having rated them that way. It all comes back around to the fact that if a movie is enjoyable and rewatchable, that is how one should really rate it. Not by it's technical quality and any groundbreaking work that may have been done on it, however eye-popping it is.

Incidentally, those would be the moments when the younger, in-experienced version of me would want to rate a movie higher than what I felt it should get just to try to raise the rating. Of course it helps to realize that one rating probably isn't going to raise/lower a film's average to where you want it to go, so it's better to just be honest about it and let other audience members see that this is how you really feel about the movie and why (especially if one chooses to write a review, as I do once in a while).

"We're not too old for this sh*t!" -Riggs and Murtaugh, 'Lethal Weapon 4' (1998)

Very true. I actually believe that I did this once...I'm not sure I can even recall which movie it was but I just remember rating it highly because I thought it was brilliant on the first viewing, but on my rewatch I decided it needed to be lower. I wanted to keep the original rating just because that is how I felt about the film when I first saw it and it was new to me, but some people definitely don't realize that a rewatchable movie is as key a factor as any when rating a film.

Yeah, i have had some movies be pretty damn good for a while but eventually drop off. but then there are some i have seen like 15-20+ years ago and are still holding really strong or strong enough.

but as far as a movies dropping off but keeping the high rating given your initial experience... i basically don't do that with movies even though when it comes to a small amount of video games i rated i tend to leave their ratings high given my peak experience with them in the old days.

but even when i drop a movies score and someone brings up a topic on the movie and asks for a rating... ill post my rating but make a quick comment that it used to be really great for me etc in the past.

I change nearly every rating I make because I try to rewatch every movie I rate just to make sure I've rated it fairly and accurately.

while i re-watch movies i score a 6 or higher if i see a movie once and it only scores a 5/10 or less i won't be seeing it again (with rare exceptions(like if it's been a long time and just something about a movie that comes to mind feels like i should give it another chance but this has not happened much for me even though it does happen once in a great while.)).

basically movies cannot drop below a 6/10 for me otherwise i won't re-watch them with rare exceptions.

p.s. just something that came to mind that i can't recall happening much at all, if at all, is... Titanic (1997). like when i first seen it back around the time it was new on VHS in roughly 1998 i remember thinking it was alright but i never really had much desire to see it again and kinda put it off etc and eventually i gave it another chance on Dec 31st 2012 and prior to that viewing i thought it had a decent chance to improve for me and it exceeded my expectations at that time as it pretty much went up to a 7.5-8/10 for me but then on another re-watch on June 12th 2016 i could not even finish it due to boredom (i.e. 7.5-8/10 back to a 3/10 MAX) and killed it @ 2hr23min into it. that might be the only time something drastic like that's happened in terms of a solid swing back up and then drops off a cliff the following viewing. although in terms of my single biggest drop... A Fistful of Dollars (1964). that was a 9/10 for years for me and on quite a few re-watches but on Oct 10th 2014 i could not even finish it due to boredom. but the other two movies with Eastwood and that director (For a Few Dollars More (1965)/Good Bad Ugly (1966)) are still 10/10's for me.

I don't recall if I ever saw the whole film, so I wouldn't know... But I've given a couple of 7/10s, maybe even an 8/10 to a few movies ranging from about the 5.1-5.9 average. Some people use the term "guilty pleasure" for such movies, but I refuse to accept that term because I don't feel guilty about having rated them that way. It all comes back around to the fact that if a movie is enjoyable and rewatchable, that is how one should really rate it. Not by it's technical quality and any groundbreaking work that may have been done on it, however eye-popping it is.

Exactly.

i never been a fan of that 'guilty pleasure' saying because it's almost like they are saying your not supposed to like it because it's considered bad but you like it anyways. and basically like you said... if we like something, we like it. it's not bad.

Of course it helps to realize that one rating probably isn't going to raise/lower a film's average to where you want it to go, so it's better to just be honest about it and let other audience members see that this is how you really feel about the movie and why (especially if one chooses to write a review, as I do once in a while).

Yeah, but i have a feeling those obsessed with certain movies probably try to make multiple accounts etc.

but even that seems kinda pointless but i guess if you get enough people doing it, it could effect the rating a bit. unless IMDb has ways to not factor that into how high a movie scores into the IMDb Top 250.

My Top 100ish Movies = http://goo.gl/EYFYdz My Favorites = http://boxd.it/UkLa

Yeah, i have had some movies be pretty damn good for a while but eventually drop off. but then there are some i have seen like 15-20+ years ago and are still holding really strong or strong enough.

And those ones that are still holding strong for me are usually some of the best movies I'll ever watch, because I can just tell after all these years that if I'm not getting tired of them now, I likely never will.

but as far as a movies dropping off but keeping the high rating given your initial experience... i basically don't do that with movies even though when it comes to a small amount of video games i rated i tend to leave their ratings high given my peak experience with them in the old days.

I can get that. Video games are a whole different story, because there is often so much more to rate them on. I might play any of the Halo or COD campaigns once (MAYBE twice) each, and that would be the peak experience. But because there's also Multiplayer/Zombies/etc. in these games, I also have to rate them based on how much I enjoyed those. And also one thing to keep in mind that I think some people don't is that just because a new game comes out that is better than its predecessor (going from Black Ops 2 to Black Ops 3, for example), doesn't mean the rating of the predecessor has to go down. Maybe a person considers the new game to have done everything better, but that would be tossing away all of your enjoyment of the previous game.

Yeah, but i have a feeling those obsessed with certain movies probably try to make multiple accounts etc.

Yeah, I've heard of that happening sometimes, though I don't know how often it really occurs. I doubt anybody will ever be able to drastically alter a film's average by doing that, though. Not enough people would ever get behind the idea and the ones that are intent on creating multiple accounts will eventually get buried. I don't think they'll ever create enough accounts, whether they are lacking in the time or energy to do so, to significantly raise or lower a film's rating.

"We're not too old for this sh*t!" -Riggs and Murtaugh, 'Lethal Weapon 4' (1998)

And those ones that are still holding strong for me are usually some of the best movies I'll ever watch, because I can just tell after all these years that if I'm not getting tired of them now, I likely never will.

Yeah, i always had a similar mindset to in that some movies will likely stay solid enough for me for my entire life but then again given how a decent chunk of movies have been taking a hit for me in the last 3-4-5 years or so i feel less confident then i used to making that claim. but still... i expect some movies to stay strong enough for me given they have for 15-20+ years now. i just wonder which ones will stay that way which ill never know for sure until time takes out course.

but since i consider the 2000's to be my favorite overall decade it's still going to need more time for those movies to age and get in more re-watches of them to see how that decade is for me in say another 10+ years from now.

I can get that. Video games are a whole different story, because there is often so much more to rate them on. I might play any of the Halo or COD campaigns once (MAYBE twice) each, and that would be the peak experience. But because there's also Multiplayer/Zombies/etc. in these games, I also have to rate them based on how much I enjoyed those. And also one thing to keep in mind that I think some people don't is that just because a new game comes out that is better than its predecessor (going from Black Ops 2 to Black Ops 3, for example), doesn't mean the rating of the predecessor has to go down. Maybe a person considers the new game to have done everything better, but that would be tossing away all of your enjoyment of the previous game.

speaking of that type of stuff...

just to compare my favorite single player video game experience with it's 8 year newer second game of the series, which is Mafia (2002) vs Mafia II (2010) (both on PC and i played em back when they where both new(and replayed Mafia quite a few times over the years since(i should probably get around to replaying Mafia and Mafia II again as it's been a bit too long since i last played em))...

while i am sure the average person playing those today would likely prefer Mafia II over Mafia it's probably mostly because of the updated graphics but i still feel in some ways the first game is better as it's a bit more challenging like, for example, it requires you to manage your ammo simply because it acts realistic unlike the second game which acts like your typical shooter game. like for example... if you got a Tommy Gun, which has a 50 round drum, in Mafia you shoot say 10 shots and then reload your gun you will lose the other 40 shots where as in Mafia II it will simply take 10 shots from your reserve ammo and refill the gun. so with Mafia i tend to conserve on ammo a bit but being i replayed the game over the years a good amount i generally can tell where you can get a little more spray happy with the Tommy Gun without having to worry about potentially running lower on ammo for it.

but even that gun reloading stuff aside... Mafia just left much more impact on me with the characters/ending etc overall which is definitely my height of single player video games especially in terms of overall experience of it.

i basically played video games most heavily from about since i can remember (late 1980's+) through my mid-to-late 20's as i would say by the time i was around 30 years old i could tell video games as a whole where fizzling out for me as there seemed to be less and less of them worth playing. i think the last video game i completed was back in 2012.

but i guess considering how old Mafia is, will be 15 years old this August, it still looks alright enough in some ways(can be tweaked with stuff online like 'unlimited draw distance' which boosts it's overall look, especially at a distance) and i still feel the characters/voice acting etc are still solid.

another thing it seems like with a lot of modern games in general... they are pretty much the same ol crap but with better graphics. it seems, at least for the most part, that bigger leaps forward are mostly done as getting those bigger leaps in the earlier days when things went from 2D to 3D and then refining the 3D with more advancement in how games are played seems to be mostly stagnant now (at least the last i knew). but i guess with newer generations of gamers coming along they will still probably like all of the modern stuff since they did not experience a lot of the same stuff over the years like you do when you have played them for many years where shooters are mostly the same ol stuff (i.e. Call of Duty series is a nice example but yet the reviews keep on praising them it seems.).

also, in terms of graphics leaps... i have not been wow'ed by many games graphically as i mainly just remember Quake and DooM3 (both PC) leaving solid impressions on me visually... like Quake was the first game i played that took advantage of a 3DFX Voodoo 4MB (Diamond Monster 3D graphics card(i still got this in my shelf for nostalgia sake :) )) which was pretty much the first good graphics card chips for the PC which i had in 1996 or so (maybe into 1997 a bit) but at first i did not realize that you could not just run the regular .exe of the game as when you do it just runs it in software mode and does not use the graphics card at all. so initially i was quite disappointed with the graphics card but eventually i stumbled into how to get it running in i think it was OpenGL mode which takes advantage of the graphics card and then i was wow'ed because back in 1996 the major consoles at the time were basically PS1/N64 and that was quite a bit ahead of those two graphically.

then i remember in Nov 2002, when the DooM 3 alpha demo leaked, i was wowed even though it ran really crappy on my computer. it was well ahead of other games at the time. but the funny thing is by the time the game was actually released in 2004, while it's graphics where still high end, the other games on the market closed the gap and, while it was still impressive, it lost a good portion of it's wow effect by then.

so it's mainly those two times i remember being wow'ed by graphics in the past, maybe a bit more but mainly those two occasions.

just some thoughts ;)

p.s. that PC that had the 3DFX Voodoo 4MB card in it (in 1996/1997) only had a 133mhz Pentium chip if i recall correctly with i think 16MB of RAM along with a 1.2GB hard drive. that's ANCIENT by today's standards. but then again 20 years in computer tech is massive. for comparison my current computer, in terms of RAM, has basically 8000MB and my storage space is also massive amount more @ 8250GB and that's just my internal hard drives. counting external i got another 3050GB. so as you can see it's literally hundreds of times more at the very least.

but i thought i read somewhere (i don't know if it's still true or not etc) that computers generally double in speed every 18months or so or something like this. but taking a quick look online it appears it's 'Moores Law' is what i was referring to and it's starting to break down as of a article i found in 2012... http://techland.time.com/2012/05/01/the-collapse-of-moores-law-physicist-says-its-already-happening/ ; but then again i hear stuff about quantum computing and if that ever takes off things will go immensely faster than they are now from what they say. but who knows that could still be many years away etc. it's hard to say.

Yeah, I've heard of that happening sometimes, though I don't know how often it really occurs. I doubt anybody will ever be able to drastically alter a film's average by doing that, though. Not enough people would ever get behind the idea and the ones that are intent on creating multiple accounts will eventually get buried. I don't think they'll ever create enough accounts, whether they are lacking in the time or energy to do so, to significantly raise or lower a film's rating.

Agreed. i would imagine that's most likely correct in my estimations especially given when you got millions(?) (at least hundreds of thousands i would imagine) of people using IMDb i can't see the supposedly small amount of those making multiple accounts making enough of a difference to skew ratings TOO much. plus, hopefully whatever measures IMDb takes to stop people messing with ratings etc of a movie is fairly effective.

but i just wonder how many people use the rating scale decently like say your or i or a good amount of other people do around here. but i guess ill never know for sure. but i guess main thing is... assuming a person has seen many movies they likely should not have TOO much of their total ratings too high especially if they are 8's/9's/10's as 7's would be bad enough.

My Top 100ish Movies = http://goo.gl/EYFYdz My Favorites = http://boxd.it/UkLa

i expect some movies to stay strong enough for me given they have for 15-20+ years now. i just wonder which ones will stay that way which ill never know for sure until time takes out course.

Yeah, only time will tell.

but since i consider the 2000's to be my favorite overall decade

Interesting. Its the 1980s for me.

while i am sure the average person playing those today would likely prefer Mafia II over Mafia it's probably mostly because of the updated graphics but i still feel in some ways the first game is better as it's a bit more challenging

Definitely, I think that updated graphics will help a game, even if it's the same old thing everyone has played before. That's what everyone is about these days, is the next thing, and the next thing, and the thing after that... When it comes to video games, I think people especially expect it to "look" better with each progression.

Mafia just left much more impact on me with the characters/ending etc overall which is definitely my height of single player video games especially in terms of overall experience of it.

i think the last video game i completed was back in 2012.

Makes complete sense. I don't really finish video games anymore, because I don't really get any new ones anymore. My buddies and I are perfectly content with playing the same games we've played since forever ago (again, Black Ops 2 comes to mind), because even though we all finished the campaign long ago, it's still a ton of fun to play zombies or multiplayer on that game than it is to play the campaign on one of the newer games.

i can't see the supposedly small amount of those making multiple accounts making enough of a difference to skew ratings TOO much. plus, hopefully whatever measures IMDb takes to stop people messing with ratings etc of a movie is fairly effective.

Hopefully so. Though, admittedly I would like to know what it is IMDb does do to try to put a stop to this. I'm just curious if they could be doing something better.

but i just wonder how many people use the rating scale decently like say your or i

Probably the majority of people are pretty sensible about it. It just seems like more people screw with the rating scale than really do because it's those jerkoffs one always comes across when reading reviews or talking on message boards.

I commented on that thread and I said that I gave a movie a 10 if it was nearly perfect. Every movie is going to have some problems with it, so I can't say a 10/10 is perfect. By near perfect I mean that the problems it has are very superficial or inconsequential.

Some movies I would give a 10 to include James Cameron's "The Abyss" (whose only major flaws are a couple of lines that are somewhat awkward) and Star Trek II (it's a bit convenient that Khan starts his scheme of revenge when Kirk is out testing the new Enterprise, but it's done for story flow as opposed to plot convenience). Those are at least the two where I can remember the problems I noticed.

-Ondskan (Evil)
-Intouchables
-Jagten (The Hunt)
-The Normal Heart
-Django Unchained
-Leon
-American History X
-Fight Club
-Se7en
-Drive
-V for Vendetta
-Youth
-City of God
-Victoria (2015)
-The Best Offer (La migliori offerta)

I have given a higher % of 10s (around 6%) although my rating system is slightly different. I start by going out of 100 and then converting to out of 10 and everything gets rounded up ie 9.2 becomes 10, 6.9 becomes 7. This is as a result of there being no zero on IMDb so 1, 2 out of 100 would have to be rounded up to 1 out of 10. I just follow suit with everything else, 10-20=2, 20-30=3 etc. At the moment I have 110 10 ratings out of 1845 (including two shorts) but most of them would be below 9.5 and therefore 9s in a more conventional scoring system. Here is a list of my 10s (excluding shorts, it would also exclude documentaries except I have yet to give a documentary 10 anyway) http://www.imdb.com/list/ls057656659/
Anyway my ratings are public so anyone curious is welcome to browse them just don't be an a$$hole if you object to any of them. I have also made genre lists (Action, Comedy, Drama, Family, Horror, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Thriller) of films that are 9/10 in each genre, feel free to comment. Also more than half of my films are 8+ and around 80% are at least 7. This is more to do with being selective about what I watch (only watching things I expect to be good, with rare exceptions) than being an easy scorer. I'm sure if I watched more of a cross section (good and bad) my scoring distribution would become more normal but life's too short to waste on bad movies.

everything gets rounded up

I usually round things down, for the same reason you round things up. I simply don't like giving a 10 to something that would be belove 9.8 at least.

Also more than half of my films are 8+ and around 80% are at least 7. This is more to do with being selective about what I watch (only watching things I expect to be good, with rare exceptions) than being an easy scorer. I'm sure if I watched more of a cross section (good and bad) my scoring distribution would become more normal but life's too short to waste on bad movies.

I too have quite a few 7+, but I can enjoy the occational 5+. As you said, life too short for bad movies.

Its a wonderful life
2001 a space oddyssey
The matrix
Jaws
Raiders of the lost ark
Star wars
Empire strikes back
ET
Sound of music

Where there is hatred, let me sow love

I don't give a movie a 10/10, as there is no such thing as a perfect movie.

I myself is still looking and longing for that perfect 10. I'm going to watch the goodfather one day and might give it my fist 10. I see 10 as close to perfection as possible, not pure perfection. That is, as you said, impossible.

Very interesting thread. A good and sometimes frustrating read. I rate movies I guess a little differently. I agree that there is no such thing as a perfect movie. A perfect movie I might rate as an 11. There are some that come pretty darn close. But that's not really how I rate.

For me, every movie starts out as a 6. If you're trying to make a good movie and fall short, you mostly deserve a 6. If you're trying to make schlock, but it's really entertaining, transcendent schlock, you mostly deserve a 6. Any movement above or below represents additional effort or the lack thereof.

There are movies where they are as good or as great as they could possibly be, and I give those a 9. To get a 10, you have to also be transcendent as an artform either as a movie experience or as an artistic statement -- there has to be some kind of magic that happens in that movie that goes beyond the sum of its parts. This is unreasonably subjective, but there you go. I crunched the numbers, and here's how it works out for me.

Out of ~2400 movies rated, I have 28 rated as 10 (1.2%), and 170 rated as 9 (7.1%).
Here's my list of 10s

The Apartment
The Best Years of Our Lives
Key Largo
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Roman Holiday
The Conversation
All About Eve
The Remains of the Day
The Lion in Winter
It Happened One Night
Last Life in the Universe
Blade Runner
Goodfellas
The Princess Bride
Apocalypse Now
City of God
2001: A Space Odyssey
Amadeus
Lost in Translation
Unforgiven
Dr. Strangelove
Little Miss Sunshine
Citizen Kane
Annie Hall
Young Frankenstein
The Red Badge of Courage
The French Lieutenant's Woman
Paper Moon

The instrument has yet to be invented that can measure my indifference to that remark.

I've Given 5 movies a 10/10 out of 49 a 10

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past

For me i find The Hunger Games Franchise to be extremely entertaining, has very good messages in them, are extremely well made, directed and acted, and have minimal flaws. X-Men: DOFP was my favourite in the X-Men Franchise and is my favourite comic book movie as-well as being very well made, directed, acted ect.

I'm not too picky when it comes to give a 10/10. For me, the movie must capture me with a good story (a good screenplay is the world to me) , its acting and directing, but also make me feel that joy of movie magic.

My system would be like:

1-5: Avoid.
6-7: Worth watching.
8-10: Watch it!

I've rated 514 movies to this moment and I've given 127 10/10 (27%) and 72% of my ratings are 8-10 mostly because I avoid most movies that have even "mixed" reception.

On that note, I can say I've given the perfect score to masterpieces like The Godfather or The Wizard of Oz but also to Toy Story 3 or Everybody Wants Some!!.

For me, out of 1,017 ratings, I've given out 43 10/10 ratings, two of which went to tv shows. Personally, when I rate a film a 10 I try to find the perfect mix of subjectivity and objectivity, so when I give a film a 10, it means that I am emotionally invested in it, just as I deem it to be expertly made.

Anyways, my 10's look like this -

Citizen Kane
It's a Wonderful Life
Ikiru
Seven Samurai
Night and Fog
The Seventh Seal
12 Angry Men
La Dolce Vita
L'Avventura
Lawrence of Arabia
8 1/2
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Andrei Rublev
2001: A Space Odyssey
Once Upon a Time in the West
Patton
The Godfather
The Godfather: Part 2
The Mirror
Taxi Driver
Apocalypse Now
Stalker
Raging Bull
Fanny and Alexander
Once Upon a Time in America
Back to the Future
The Princess Bride
Grave of the Fireflies
The Shawshank Redemption
Requiem for a Dream
Y Tu Mama Tambien
The Lord of the Rings (all three)
There Will Be Blood
The Dark Knight
Inception
Incendies
Boyhood
Interstellar
Silence

As for television -

Breaking Bad

I have rated alot of movies, ratings are given at first viewing and alot would be graded differently these days. I have given 10s to 20 movies out of 2800 (.7% get 10)

My Top 10 10s
Gattaca
Dances with Wolves
stand by me
resoviour dogs
the thing (82)
The evil dead
Fight Club
Meaning of life
Life of Brian
Monty and the holy grail

Jurassic Park
The Mist
Ben Hur
movie 43
And Now for Something Completely Different
Meet the Feebles
Borat/Bruno
The League of Gentlemen (movie)

My pee tastes like toast

My rating system is a variation of one I saw years ago here on these message boards.

10 - classic/masterpiece
9 - excellent
8 - very good
7 - good/above average
6 - average
5 - below average
4 - watchable
3 - poor
2 - awful
1 - total failure
0 - unwatchable