Best and Worst : What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (23/01-29/01)CLOSED

Re: What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (23/01-29/01)

You saw some great stuff

Prisoners - 9/10, great drama, loved the writing and the acting

Gone Baby Gone - 9/10, love this film

The Town - 9/10, big fan of this as well

Bronson - need to rewatch this, been too long for me to remember

The Great Gatsby - 6/10, agreed about visually its amazing, a bit too amazing for the time it is trying to show i believe (too much special effeccts/pizazz on it)

Inherent vice - need to rewatch, don't remember it

Three Kings - 10/10, one of my favorite films of all time

FYC: Scorsese, Affleck, Negga, Ali, Davis

I think its awesome you love Three Kings so much. I use to rate it a 8/10 but this time I thought it was 'really good', not 'excellent'.

Excuse my English, I am French-Canadian

Gremlins is pretty forgettable movie, but it's cute. 7.5/10

My films:
Restraint (2008) 8/10 - This one's very good dark thriller. It's about a young couple that are on the run hole up in a country estate with a hostage in tow and then a psychological battle begins. Teresa Palmer was surprisingly superb in it and was an excellent choice for her character. She looked a lot like Kristen Stewart. I'm really surprised she did her NAKED scene which is just lovely scene and that's the best part about the film. The lights and cinematography are dark, but lovely! The three characters were interesting, and it has a fine performances. Excellent plot, and it has a creepy twist which I didn't expect. My question is that older guy crazy or just creepy? Or just one weird person?

When Dale told that she truly loves him, she realized that she is trapped in his house because she looks like his wife Gabrielle. I wonder what's going to happen next to her. Maybe she did leave him without words like Gabrielle did (which I don't think he killed her). What do you think?

The Green Mile (1999) 9/10

Deep Throat (1972) 5.5/10

Sully (2016) 4.5/10 - It isn't bad movie, but boring. I like how this movie is shot very well, but all other than that, I found the story pretty uninteresting.

The Great Wall (2016) 7.5/10 - A very solid movie with amazing action scenes. The special effects were really impressive.

Lion (2016) 10/10 - This is such a beautiful film with a sad story, but also happy. One of the most beautiful and most emotionally powerful recent films. Superb cinematography and performances. Unforgettable movie title!

Captain Fantastic (2016) 9.5/10 - Brilliant story and performance by Viggo Mortensen.

Yabu no naka no kuroneko (1968) / Black Cat 4.5/10 - Just too peaceful Japanese horror film, but it has a nice and creepy atmosphere.

North by Northwest (1959) 9/10

_
https://biggiesplace.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/enemy-2.gif

Not even heard of Restraint

The Green Mile (1999) 6.5/10

Sully (2016) 6/10 - .

Lion (2016) will check out eventually

Yabu no naka no kuroneko (1968) has its moments but far prefer Onibaba 6/10.

North by Northwest (1959) 9/10 my favourite Hitch and in my top 20

Hey Darkside

Yours:

Gremlins: 8/10

Mine:

Léon (1994)(International version): 9/10 (Rewatch, from 8/10 to 9/10) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/reference

Blade Runner (The Final Cut): 8/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/reference

Schindler’s List (1993): 7/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108052/reference

Sabotage (2014): 6/10 (Rewatch)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1742334/reference

Street Kings (2008): 6/10 (Rewatch, from 6.5/10 to 6/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421073/reference

Zoom (2016): 6/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3763866/reference

Shelley (2016): 5/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013688/reference

Attack of the Lederhosen Zombies (2016): 5/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3569970/reference

My Dead Boyfriend (2016): 4/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3285740/reference

The Disappointments Room (2016): 4/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2364897/reference

Beyond the Gates (2016): 4/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4687358/reference

Shovel Buddies (2016): 3/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416674/reference

Pitchfork (2017): 3/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4985848/reference

10/10 - One of my absolute favorite movies (0,2%)
9/10 - Great movie and a personal favorite (0,8%)
8/10 – Very good movie (6,1%)
7/10 - Good movie (20,6%)
6/10 - Pretty good movie, I liked it (31,6%)
5/10 - Average movie (17,1%)
4/10 - Below average movie (12,1%)
3/10 - Bad movie (7%)
2/10 - Very bad movie (3,2%)
1/10 - Extremely bad movie, pure s**t (1,3%)

Hey Trigs

Léon (1994) 8/10

Blade Runner (The Final Cut): 9.5/10 in my top 10

Schindler’s List (1993): 7.5/10 I only saw this last year myself

Hey Buddy

Handmaiden i really want to see this

Manchester by the sea - Doesn't really need to go anywhere, i thought it was absolutely gorgeous, Casey Affleck gave the best performance of his career. - 10/10

Silence - Yeh i agree the first hour or so was a bit of a slog, but i found it more of an experience however while giving a good performance i found Garfield miscast. Scorsese has been want to make this for over 20 years and you can tell. - 7/10

Gremlins - yeh, im not a massive fan of this either i actually prefer the manic sequel. I watch it for the effects. - 5/10

for me this week, all first time views

T2: Trainspotting(Cinema) - Danny Boyle - Having seen Trainspotting numerous times and in a way grew up with it, t2 was always going to be daunting in anticipation. Trainspotting was/is more than a film it's a place in time and transcends a coolness and is(along with oasis and blur) a staple mark for defining British culture in the 90's.

The main themes that run through T2 are regret, melancholy, nostalgia and also hope. Watching this movie was a fantastic experience i laughed (one scene in a loyalist club, which i think for many outside the UK maybe even Scotland might not grasp the extremely comic value) had me in stitches, I gasped and also got a bit emotional at parts. If it wasn't for time restraints i would have walked out the screening and booked my ticket for the next time slot, that is an ultimate testament to how i felt about this film. It's maybe with biased or blinkered eyes and maybe i won't feel the same way like i do for the first film in 20 years time, but only time will tell but i had an absolute blast. - 9/10

Jackie(Cinema) - Pablo Larraín - The camera movement is haunting as it whisks around the white house as if we are witnessing a ghost story. Has a perfect running time of under 2 hours anymore i think it would have overstayed its welcome. Portman is terrific but that is a given, there is no realism here we are witnessing a well structured performance and at first i found it hard to get with (Its a really cold performance) but i really appreciated it for what it was. Also the score by Mica Levi who also scored Under the Skin is absolutely terrific and is the centerpiece of the entire movie the conductor shall we say, its so harsh and vibrant and gives a horror movie feel. - 7/10

Death and the Maiden - Roman Polanski - Polanski is a master craftsman, from opening shot until the last poetic truth of an evil soul. Death and the Maiden wracks up the tension in maybe his most emotionally charged film. Very wordy but Polanski never wastes a minute. Full of his trademark shots he makes his landscape so big although it's a three hander in a cabin somewhere in the middle of nowhere. It never quite escapes the stage-play origins, which is a shame. It covers themes of a political nature and is very dark in tone for the full length even the odd joke doesn't ease the tension. - 7/10

Young Frankenstein(Blu-Ray) - Mel Brooks - Commonly perceived as of one of the funniest films to exist. It's funny in a simplistic way, sometimes juvenile humour just works jokes come thick and fast not all work bust most gather a chuckle. It really shows off Gene Wilder's manic side. - 6.5/10

Sing(Cinema) - At best Sing is average. Unfortunately i found it as dull as dish water, another mediocre production for Illuminations... will take big at the box office though so no doubt a sequel will be green lit. - 4/10

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr Johnson

hey dude

T2: Trainspotting(Cinema) - Danny Boyle - not a fan of trainspotting so will give this a miss

Jackie(Cinema) - Pablo Larraín - yup, I didnt think about the score til now, you are right. - 7/10

Death and the Maiden - Roman Polanski - glad you liked it. - 7/10

Young Frankenstein(Blu-Ray) - Mel Brooks - love it 8/10

GonZo!!!!

You sure went to the cinema a lot this week. it's sad but I just don't go there much anymore, maybe once or twice a year.

I am also a huge Trainspotting fan (10/10) and I really liked what you wrote. It raises my hopes.

Mine:
Bronson: Right after the first 5 minutes you know what kind of movie you just got yourself into. A psychedelic, violent drama. And it's a good one too. Right down my alley. When you're 40 minutes into it, you feel like you've seen enough content for two movies already. Then the mood changes a bit while still being very eerie. The movie does have a few flaws, Nothing worth mentioning. Tom Hardy delivers a 10/10 performance. The music was great. The story was crazy. The worst is that it's a biography. The rating is 8/10.

The great Gatsby: What a wonderful and colourful movie to look at, the cinematography is bright and flashy and you can tell that they put a great deal of work in the settings, costumes and effects. My problem was that I did not really care about the whole love story its centred on. I liked the confrontation between Gatsby and Tom but that's about it. Toby Maguire was all right but I was not fond of his Voice overs. I never saw a movie in which he impressed me and this is no exception. (I always saw him as a lesser Ewan McGregor.) Leo was OK too but nothing compared to his performance in The Aviator, or even Romeo and Juliet. I really liked every scene involving old cars, they were very well made. The Anachronistic music style was enjoyable, the directing was solid but this exotic cocktails, served in a shiny crested crystal glass, tasted a bit flat. 6.5/10

Inherent vice (2014 bluray): I liked the movie but around the middle of it there is a few dragging scenes with rather uninteresting dialogue that slows the story down. (Ex: when Shasta comes back and she talks forever and then they have sex for like four seconds) Some critiques said that there is nothing remotely like this movie but I found that it's like a cross between Chinatown, Vertigo and Fear and loathing in Las Vegas but just not quite as good as any of those movies. The acting was the best part the cast was great, the voice over coming from a female character worked really well and the music was good. Some tracks reminded me of The doors but I really wished they'd insert one of their songs in there too. I also wished I'd saw Benicio a little more.
6.5/10

Three Kings (bluray): although it was not as great as I remembered it to be it was still very good and it went by very fast. Some scenes are high-quality and others not so much. It's a bit strange. Another thing is there is some very gruesome and shocking scenes and then there is some light comedic ones. I guess it balanced the whole thing well. 7.5/10

hey buddy, sorry for the late reply

Yeh i enjoy the cinema experience and have a cinema card that is paid monthly so i try to go as often as i can.

I was not disappointed with T2

Inherent Vice - There were some really good moments but i just found the whole film a bit of a shambles so much so, nothing sticks out in the memory. - 4/10

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Dr Johnson

YOURS

The Handmaiden (2016, Chan-Wook Park)
8/10

Gremlins (1984, Joe Dante)
7.5/10

MINE

Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016, Mike Flanagan) 3/10

Preacher season 1 (2016) 8.5/10

not seen

Hi, Dark

I'm seeing Manchester by the Sea soon.

Yours:

Silence 10/10

It's my favourite 2016 movie, I think. It's not an easy movie, but it really blew me away, so powerful. Andrew Garfield is amazing, he was really snubbed for this at the Oscars, IMO. Although I haven't seen Hacksaw Ridge yet, maybe he's even better there.

Gremlins 8/10

I haven't seen it in ages, loved it back then, but I don't know if it would hold up.

Mine (besides Silence):

La La Land 9/10

Beautiful movie, really loved the atmosphere, visually, it's really incredible. Loved all the homages too.

Man of the West 8/10

It's a western with Gary Cooper, about a former bandit, who turned his life around, that gets stranded by a train in the middle of nothing, stumbles on his former gang, and their boss wants him to join them again. It's good, I liked it. It's kind of violent too, for the 50s. There's a scene where the lead actress is forced to strip, that must have got them some problems with the Hays Code.

Midnight Run 8.5/10

I had seen it a long time ago, I didn't remember much of it, it's really a blast. Robert De Niro is so great as Jack Walsh.
I noticed on IMDB there are actually 3 sequels, without De Niro or Charles Grodin, have you seen them?

"May Fortune favor the foolish"

Re: Hi, Dark

hey billy

La La Land 7/10 i liked the 2nd half more

Midnight Run glad you dig this! 7.5/10

Maybe, I did as well

But I thought it was brilliant overall. The scene where the whole story of the movie is played out, while Seb is playing was so great.

I really barely remembered Midnight Run, glad I caught it again.

Hey there dark. Hope you had a good week.

YOURS

Gremlins (1984) 8 - A lot of fun for me. Haven't seen in a while

MINE

First Time Viewing:

Central Intelligence (2016) 6 - A somewhat solid buddy cop flick with some good moments between Hart and Johnson that barely make the movie enjoyable for me.

Doctor Strange (2016) 7.5 - Yet another solid entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I feel like the sequel could really expand on what was set up here and make for an even better film. Given this was my start to my Oscar movies watchlist, gotta say the visual effects were splendid.

Finding Dory (2016) 8 - With Finding Nemo being one of my all time favorite movies, I had some high hopes for this one. Found it to be quite entertaining with Dory's story really captivating me. Overall I was not disappointed.

Hey Tiago :)
Central Intelligence (2016) 5/10 i expected it to be worse.

Doctor Strange (2016) 6/10 it was solid enough

Finding Dory (2016) 7.5/10 unexpectedly good belated sequel.

This week I saw -

The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (1974) - 8

Volcano (2015) - 7

Paterson (2016) - 7

Little Feet (2013) - 6

Paterson - 6/10

First Viewings...

-Near Dark (1987) (Jan 24th 2017) - 5/10

-Silence (2016-2017) (Jan 24th-25th 2017(mostly 24th)) - 5/10 (alright enough for a viewing but ultimately forgettable)

-The Lost Boys (1987) (Jan 26th-27th 2017(mostly 26th)) - 4.5-5/10 (average, but borderline below average as i think it fizzles later/late into the movie)

Re-watches...

-Dom Hemingway (2013-2014) (Jan 23rd 2017) - 6-6.5/10 (my second viewing. was a 6/10 on initial viewing.)

-Let the Right One In (2008) (Jan 25th 2017) - 2-3/10 (i think this is my second viewing but i could not even finish it due to boredom. killed it @ 50min)

p.s. in general for me... 5/10 or less = Thumbs Down. 6/10 or higher = Thumbs Up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

OP's...

-The Handmaiden (2016) - NS (who knows, i may give it a shot but then again i have seen two of the directors past movies and it ain't looking good with one being a 5/10(Oldboy) and the other being a 4/10(Stoker). "The sex scenes are the most intense I have seen since Blue is the Warmest Colour" ; with that info... ill just assume intense means "intense" ;))

-Manchester by the Sea (2016) - NS (but i might give it a shot eventually)

-Silence (2016) - 5/10 (alright enough for a viewing but ultimately forgettable)

-Gremlins (1984) - 5/10 (i remember liking this back in the day when i was a kid or so. but i have no desire to see it now (i might have caught bits and pieces of it on TV within the last 5-10 years or something and i can't see this movie working all that well for me today). who knows, maybe i will eventually re-watch it at some point for potential nostalgia sake or something.)

My Top 100ish Movies = http://goo.gl/EYFYdz My Favorites = http://boxd.it/UkLa

-Near Dark (1987) (Jan 24th 2017) - 8/10

-Silence (2016) you saw my thoughts

-The Lost Boys (1987) love it, very rewatchable and quotable 8/10

-Let the Right One In (2008) 6.5/10

Ratings of Yours + My films of the week

Yours:

Manchester By the Sea - 9/10

Silence - 10/10

Mine:

First-Time Viewing:

Hands of Stone (2016) - . A solid biopic in my eyes, cool performances from DeNiro & Edgar Ramirez. Enjoyable. 8/10

(#506 on my Favorite of All-Time list)

Incendies (France) (2010) -. A really well-directed film, cast does a great job too. I enjoy this brand of French cinema, interesting story, and very stellar direction. 9/10

(#210 on my Favorite of All-Time list)

Wednesday (Chaharshanbeh) (2016) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER - One of the most powerful films I have seen in awhile. First-time director Soroush Mohammadzadeh crafts an amazing film with real characters conveying some of Iranian culture's biggest flaws in a very natural manner. The storyline is extremely interesting and realistic, with great performances from the actors, especially Shahab Hosseini (Winner of Best Actor at Cannes this past year with The Salesman).

10/10

Actors Anonymous (2017) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER - An interesting film written by James Franco which chronicles the story of two struggling actors who befriend one another. With a witty screenplay and solid performances, i could see this indie doing well outside of the festival circuit.

7/10

Laura Gets a Cat (2016) -CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER. - An interesting premise, and good performance from lead actress, however Michael Ferrell's latest film didn't impress me as much as his previous effort i caught at cinequest a few years back (Film was called Twenty Million People). This one had some great moments, and definitely a lot of the ingredients of a good film, but the pace was a bit off to me and at times the script moved a little too slow for me. 6/10

For Grace (2016) - CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER. An interesting premise, a film about a man who is about to have a kid but needs to find his real birth parents before, but this fell flat for me, neither visually interesting nor the script, it just felt very slow and for a premise with high stakes, there didn't seem to be much about the characters that made me care much . 5/10

Hysteria (Histeria) (Mexico) (2016) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER - An interesting tale of a timid architecht who is living in a dangerous, rough neighborhood, and deals with corruption at his new job. Storyline reminiscent of Straw Dogs, wonder if it was inspired by that film, but Carlos Melendez's film is well shot, well-written and directed, could have used a bit more editing, but overall very enjoyable, glad this is playing this year at Cinequest.

8/10 (#532 on my list of All-Time)

The Nurse (Hemsire) (Turkey) (2016) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER - An interesting film about an overweight nurse with domestic issues who sparks a unique relationship with a political prisoner on hunger strike that she is caring for. Some very great moments, the lead actor is phenomenal, but overall something was lacking in the script, and it perhaps could use some more editing.

7/10

Imitation Girl (2017) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER - one of the best indie flicks I have seen in a minute. The sci-fi/drama about an alien who lands on earth and assumes the identity of the first human face it sees which is a magazine cover of a popular pornstar. The film follows earth's new guest as well as the pornstar's lives in a brilliant manner. Very impressed with the production values and the director's ability to make a thought-provoking and unique film. Budget is listed as 240k on IMDB, which they did a great job with that amount of funding!

8/10 (#350 on my Favorite of All-Time list)

Live By Night (2016) - All the ingredients of an amazing film, but something was lacking. Not sure if its in the script or manner in which Affleck directed/presented us with this story. But these are fascinating characters and occurrences, i just didn't feel there was anything special about this, although it had some great moments, cinematography, editing and score is great, but it didn't really grab me or move me like a good gangster/crime flick is supposed to do.

7/10

The Citizen (Az Allampolgar) (2017) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER- An amazing Hungarian film about an African refugee studying for a citizenship exam who takes in a pregnant illegal Iranian immigrant who appears on his doorstep. Their relationship is beautifully shown in this amazing film from Roland Vranik.

9/10 (#220 on my Favorite of All-Time List)

Allied (2016) - Enjoyed Robert Zemeckis's latest effort starring Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard. Really good chemistry from them in this World War II era spy flick. I thought the aesthetics of this film (Cinematography, editing, set design, costume, etc.) was absolutely terrific, and it has some really good moments.

8/10 (#356 on my Favorite of All-Time list)

Shut Up Anthony CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER (2017) - An interesting comedy about Anthony, a young neurotic ad executive who is suddenly laid off and chooses to take a vacation to his family's time-shared villa where he runs into an old friend from the past. The film has some very funny and interesting moments, is very well-written. There are some portions which drag on a bit too long, could benefit from better/more editing perhaps. Overall enjoyable and glad i saw it

7/10

Repeat Viewing:

Cast Away (2000) - Love Tom Hanks in this film. Zemeckis's portrayal of a man who is stranded on an island and faced with the ultimate test of survival. There are some of my favorite cinematic moments in this film. All i gotta say is "WILSON!!!!!"

9/10 (#215 on my Favorite of All-Time list)

The Big Lebowski (1998) - one of my favorite comedies of all-time, Bridges and Goodman in rare form, one of my favorite Coen Bros films (probably 2nd to only Barton Fink). THE DUDE!

10/10 (#78 on my Favorite of All-Time list)

Best of the Week:
Best Actor: Shahab Hosseini For Wednesday (Chaharshanbe), Jeff Brigdes for The Big Lebowski, Tom hank for Cast Away, Hector Kotsifakis for Hysteria (Histeria), Dr. Cake-Baly Marcelo for The Citizen (Az Allampolgar).
Best Actress: Lauren Ashley Carter for Imitation Girl,
Best Supporting Actor: Arman Darvish for Wednesday (Chaharshanbe), Michael Shannon for Midnight Special, John Goodman for THe Big Lebowski,
Best Supporting Actress:
Best Director: Coen Bros for The Big Lebowski, Robert Zemeckis for Cast Away, Soroush Mohammadzadeh for Wednesday (Chaharshanbe), Dennis Villeneuve for Incendies.
Best Screenplay: Natasha Kermani for Imitation Girl, Ivan Szabo & Roland Vranik for The The Citizen (Az Allampolgar), Coen Bros for The Big Lebowski.
Best Cinematography: Travis Tips for Imitation Girl, Morteza Ghafouri for Wednesday (chaharshanbeh), Iwao Kawasaki for Hysteria (Histeria). Don Burgess for Allied & Cast Away,
Best Editing: Arthur Schmidt for Cast Away, Lili Makk for The Citizen (Az Allampolgar)

Re: Ratings of Yours + My films of the week

Incendies (Canada/France) (2010) yeah this canadian director is really great 8/10

Cast Away (2000) - its a pretty good flick a little broad at times but I liked it 6.5/10

The Big Lebowski (1998) not a fan of this as much as most 5/10

Re: Ratings of Yours + My films of the week

Since you gave your ratings for mine, I'll return the favor:

Incendies - I liked it, but it's actually my least favorite of the 6 I've seen from Villeneuve. 7/10

Live by Night - you saw my thoughts. It seems we largely agree, but I give it a point lower. 6/10

Cast Away - I enjoyed this one. Hanks carries it with a great performance. 7.5/10

The Big Lebowski - My favorite Coen Brothers film and one of my favorites in general. So much fun. 9/10

Reservoir Dogs (1992) - 10/10 One of my favorite movies.

Pulp Fiction (1994) - 10/10 Another one of my favorite films.

Sins Expiation (2012) - 1/10 One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

The Bleeding (2009) - 2/10

2 Bedroom 1 Bath (2014) - 1/10

Dying of the Light (2014) - 6/10

Smosh: The Movie (2015) - 1/10 Has to be one of the worst comedies ever made.

Army of One (1993) - 4/10

Skin Traffik (2015) - 3/10

Nowhere to Run (1993) - 6/10

The Numbers Station (2013) - 2/10

Reservoir Dogs (1992) - 8/10

Pulp Fiction (1994) - 9/10

Nowhere to Run (1993) - 5/10

First Time Movie Viewing

1. A Patch of Blue (1965) 7/10
2. French Silk (1994) (TV)
3. Marilyn: The Untold Story (1980) (TV) 5/10
4. A Tale of Two Cities (1935)
5. The New Edition Story (2017) (mini) 4/10

Repeat Movie Viewing

1. Lady of Burlesque (1943) 7/10

First Time TV Viewing

Intimate Portrait

"Linda Blair" 6/10

Nightmare Classics

Season 1, Episode 3 "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" 5/10

The Nine Lives of Chloe King

Season 1, Episode 6 "Nothing Compares to Us" 7/10

Gotham

Season 3, Episode 13 "Smile Like You Mean It" 7/10

Legends of Tomorrow

Season 2, Episode 9 "Raiders of the Lost Ark" 7/10

Justice League Action

Season 1, Episode 5 "Follow That Space Cab!" 5/10

Shadowhunters

Season 2, Episode 4 "Day of Wrath" 7/10

Star Wars Rebels

Season 3, Episode 11 "Ghosts of Genosis-Part I" 7/10
Season 3, Episode 13 "Warhead" 6/10

Liv & Maddie

Season 4, Episode 10 "Ex-A-Rooney" 5/10

Not seen any of your films this week bud

Speed 2: Cruise Control (1997) 3/10 (After twenty years, this sequel remains as bad as it was back then with so many problems. The finale is the only tolerable aspect, as neither Bullock nor Patric add any life to their parts while the dialogue is cringe worthy and the overall premise lacks much life. Not even Dafoe can add anything to his villainous role, and this one justifiably is perhaps one of the worst sequels of all time.)

Heaven & Earth (1993) 5/10 (The final film in Oliver Stone's Vietnam War Trilogy has some dramatic depth and moments, but Stone tries too hard to make this one a sweeping thriller instead of a simple drama about survival and hope. The lead lacks much polish, especially when compared to the supporting cast. The narrative is rather uneven, and the religious imagery gets a little old despite some intense scenes.)

Singin' in the Rain (1952) 8/10

Serenity (2005) 6/10

Straight to Video/Limited Release:

Batman: The Killing Joke (2016) 4/10 (Based on the graphic novel, this adaptation lacks the edge needed to justify its R rating and makes for a limp animated showdown between Batman and Joker. The first half is a lame prologue that has no real relevance to the plot, and it is made worse when it treats Batgirl in a pretty poor manner. The animation looks generic, and the voiceovers lack the same kind of energy Batman: The Animated Series had so much of. The flashback scenes of Joker's past offer some intrigue and sympathy, but the ending is such a letdown that the negatives outweigh the positives here.)

Patrick R Sam

Speed 2: Cruise Control (1997) not seen this since it first aired on tv, I cant remember if i thought it was as bad as its rep or not but it certainly was not a good film 4/10

Heaven & Earth (1993) 5/10 yeah did not really work for me either

Singin' in the Rain (1952) 7/10 a classic musical to be sure

Serenity (2005) 7-7.5

Yo!

The Gremlins is good, it's a classic too. 7/10

Mine:
Bronson: Right after the first 5 minutes you know what kind of movie you just got yourself into. A psychedelic, violent drama. And it's a good one too. Right down my alley. When you're 40 minutes into it, you feel like you've seen enough content for two movies already. Then the mood changes a bit while still being very eerie. The movie does have a few flaws, Nothing worth mentioning. Tom Hardy delivers a 10/10 performance. The music was great. The story was crazy. The worst is that it's a biography. The rating is 8/10.

The great Gatsby: What a wonderful and colourful movie to look at, the cinematography is bright and flashy and you can tell that they put a great deal of work in the settings, costumes and effects. My problem was that I did not really care about the whole love story its centred on. I liked the confrontation between Gatsby and Tom but that's about it. Toby Maguire was all right but I was not fond of his Voice overs. I never saw a movie in which he impressed me and this is no exception. (I always saw him as a lesser Ewan McGregor.) Leo was OK too but nothing compared to his performance in The Aviator, or even Romeo and Juliet. I really liked every scene involving old cars, they were very well made. The Anachronistic music style was enjoyable, the directing was solid but this exotic cocktails, served in a shiny crested crystal glass, tasted a bit flat. 6.5/10

Inherent vice (2014 bluray): I liked the movie but around the middle of it there is a few dragging scenes with rather uninteresting dialogue that slows the story down. (Ex: when Shasta comes back and she talks forever and then they have sex for like four seconds) Some critiques said that there is nothing remotely like this movie but I found that it's like a cross between Chinatown, Vertigo and Fear and loathing in Las Vegas but just not quite as good as any of those movies. The acting was the best part the cast was great, the voice over coming from a female character worked really well and the music was good. Some tracks reminded me of The doors but I really wished they'd insert one of their songs in there too. I also wished I'd saw Benicio a little more.
6.5/10

Three Kings (bluray): although it was not as great as I remembered it to be it was still very good and it went by very fast. Some scenes are high-quality and others not so much. It's a bit strange. Another thing is there is some very gruesome and shocking scenes and then there is some light comedic ones. I guess it balanced the whole thing well. 7.5/10

Hey Stoney

Bronson - it's a lot of fun, shot on grimey 16 mm adds to the atmosphere, hardy is superb 7/10

Inherent Vice - kind of an annoying Altman rip off of the much better The Long Goodbye. 3.5/10

Three Kings - not seen since it came out but I wasn't really moved by it 5/10

The long goodbye does look better and I did not hear about it before so thanks for that.

What happens to this if the forum really does close?

I have another forum ready to take over from this if there is enough interest from the weekly posters to this thread.. more on next thread

Interested.