Best and Worst : What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (23/01-29/01)CLOSED

What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (23/01-29/01)CLOSED

Welcome back to another week of the BEST & WORST edition of 'what movies did you see last week?' thread. For those who haven't been part of it before, basically your hosts (us) posts our weekly movies and you can comment on those and list your movie for the same time frame. We will get back to you on yours and you can talk to other users here about their films. It's a great place to talk about film.

UPDATED 2016 LIST IS BELOW THE REGUAR WEEKLY REPORT.

FIRST TIME MOVIE VIEWING

The Handmaiden (2016, Chan-Wook Park)

This tale of a woman who is hired as a handmaiden to a Japanese heiress, but is secretly involved in a plot to defraud her is scripted like a puzzle that is directed to perfectly come together as a while picture. The sex scenes are the most intense I have seen since Blue is the Warmest Colour and the costume design is immense also.
7/10

Manchester by the Sea (2016, Kenneth Lonergan)

In this rather somber film Casey Affleck plays an uncle who is made guardian of his teenage nephew after the boy's father dies. The film is well acted and the scenes are all well done but it doesn't really fell like it goes anywhere in the end.
7/10

Silence (2016, Martin Scorsese)

This film is the long gestating passion project of famed director Martin Scorsese that follows two priests (Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver) as they travel to Japan in an attempt to locate their mentor (Liam Neeson) and propagate Catholicism. It is a well made and acted somber film in which i found most of the first 90 minutes to be a bit of a chore to get through. The second half however was a lot more engaging with some powerful scenes between Garfield and Neeson.
6.5/10

American Pastoral (2016, Ewan McGregor)

This is actor Ewan McGregor's (Trainspotting) feature directorial debut and it is certainly a good effort. The story follows an All-American college star (McGregor) and his beauty queen wife (Jennifer Connolly) who watch their seemingly perfect life fall apart, as their daughter (Dakota Fanning) joins the turmoil of '60s America. I was never bored throughout the film and found it all quite interesting but it never felt like the real world to me despite some scenes being quite gripping.
6.5/10

REPEAT MOVIE VIEWING

Gremlins (1984, Joe Dante)

netflix
This story about a boy who inadvertently breaks three important rules concerning his new pet that unleashes a horde of malevolently mischievous monsters on a small town is certainly a product of its time. The tone is all over the place with this one which is one of the biggest problems. I do however love the puppet and stop animation effects which are still more effective than cg effects if not for the visible strings on the puppets (how I missed that when i saw this on the big screen i'll never know).
5/10

FIRST TIME DOCUMENTARY VIEWING

Welcome to Leith (2015, Michael Beach Nichols, Christopher K. Walker)

This is a feature documentary chronicling the attempted takeover of a small town in North Dakota by notorious white supremacist Craig Cobb. It follows the events which seem to just fizzle out but it is still interesting throughout.
Recommended

WEEKLY MOVIE AWARDS

BEST FILM: The Handmaiden
BEST ACTOR: Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea
BEST ACTRESS: Tae-ri Kim - The Handmaiden
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Adam Driver - Silence
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Dakota Fanning - American Pastoral
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Chung-hoon Chung - The Handmaiden
BEST SCRIPT: Jay Cocks & Martin Scorsese - Silence
BEST DIRECTOR: Chan Wook Park - The Handmaiden

2016 UPDATED

1. Nocturnal Animals
2. The Nice Guys
3. Green Room
4. The Witch
5. Deadpool
6. Captain America: Civil War
7. Julieta
8. Rogue One
9. At the End of the Tunnel
10. Midnight Special

11. La La Land
12. Zootopia
13. Finding Dory
14. Eye in the Sky
15. Moonlight
16. The Handmaiden
17. David Brent: Life on the Road
18. Cafe Society
19. X-Men Apocalypse
20. Star Trek Beyond

21. Manchester by the sea
22. Snowden
23. Jackie
24. Fences
25. Silence
26. American Pastoral
27. Hidden Figures
28. The Eyes of My Mother
29. Train to Busan
30. Jason Bourne

31. The Accountant
32. Doctor Strange
33. Loving
34. Arrival
35. Operation Avalanche
36. I Am Not a Serial Killer
37. Too Late
38. Hell or High Water
39. Sully
40. The Neon Demon

41. Under the Shadow
42. Hacksaw Ridge
43. Suicide Squad
44. 10 Cloverfield Lane
45. The Jungle Book
46. Poster: Never Stop Never Stopping
47. The Invitation
48. Paterson
49. The Shallows
50. The Edge of Seventeen

51. Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
52. Warcraft
53. Don’t Breathe
54 The Good Neighbour
55. Tallulah
56. Keanu
57 The Autopsy of Jane Doe
58. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
59. Elle
60. Special Correspondents

61. Lights Out
62 Central Intelligence
63. Blood Father
64. The Hunt for the Wilderpeople
65. Wiener-dog
66. Zoolander 2
67. Yoga Hosers
68. Ghostbusters
69. Hush
70. Knight of Cups

71. Cell

2016 DOCUMENTARY VIEWING

1. Gimme Danger
2. Audrie & Daisy
3. Amanda Knox
4. Into the Inferno

10/10 - Perfection (or as close to it as possible)
09/10 - An Excellent film
08/10 - A VERY Good film
07/10 - A Good film
06/10 - A Solid film
05/10 - An Average film
04/10 - Below Average film
03/10 - A mostly bad film
02/10 - A mostly terrible film
01/10 - Awful through and through
00/10 - Not only awful but offensive too

Re: What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (23/01-29/01)

Yours:

The Handmaiden (2016, Chan-wook Park)
9/10

Gremlins (1984, Joe Dante)
5/10

Mine:

Boogie Nights (1997, Paul Thomas Anderson) 10/10

On The Waterfront (1954, Elia Kazan)
9/10

Ménilmontant (1926, Dimitri Kirsanoff)
8.5/10

Thief (1981, Michael Mann)
8/10

Sisters of The Gion (1936, Kenji Mizoguchi) 7/10

Gymnopédies (1965, Larry Jordan)
6/10

Showgirls (1995, Paul Verhoeven)
4.5/10

Boogie Nights (1997, Paul Thomas Anderson)
8/10

On The Waterfront (1954, Elia Kazan)
7/10

Thief (1981, Michael Mann)
9.5/10

Showgirls (1995, Paul Verhoeven)
3/10

My friend actually told me to watch Showgirls. He thinks it's some kinda of brilliant satire of Vegas. I didn't see that at all.

Yeah its not at all.. its something that people labelled it much later.. incorrectly

Guess they needed some excuse to watch a movie that's basically just tna.

hey Ricardo

Con Air (1997) - 4
The Mechanic (2011) - 5
The Expendables 2 (2012) - 6.5

YOURS
_________

GREMLINS
Still good fun : everything still jives : the in jokes, Xmas spirit, old school fx, Phoebe Cates, and Gizmo, still one of the cutest movie creatures ever.
8/10

MINE

MIKE AND DAVE NEED WEDDING DATES ( 2016 )
Amusing fare. Title brothers need dates for their sisters wedding in Hawaii. Desperate party girls, Aubrey Plaza and Anna Kendrick respond to their ad, concealing their low class identities. Hyper hi jinks ensue. The MVP here is Aubrey Plaza. Truly funny and charming.
6/10

----------------------------

not seen

YOURS

Manchester By the Sea - 5/10
Silence - 9/10
Gremlins - 7/10

MINE

The Party (1968 Blake Edwards) - 6.5/10
Criminal (2016 Ariel Vromen) - 6/10
Mechanic: Resurrection (2016 Dennis Gansel) - 4.5/10
The Brothers Grimsby (2016 Louis Leterrier) - 6/10
I Am Wrath (2016 Chuck Russell) - 5.5/10
Live By Night (2016 Ben Affleck) - 4.5/10
Frances (1982 Greame Clifford) - 7/10
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942 Michael Curtiz) - 7/10
Pretty Baby (1978 Louis Malle) - 5.5/10
Doctor Strange (2016 Scott Derrickson) - 7/10
Pete's Dragon (2016 David Lowery) - 7/10
The Family Fang (2015 Jason Bateman) - 6/10
The Late Show (1977 Robert Benton) - 7/10
The Man Without a Face (1993 Mel Gibson) - 7/10

Film Awards

BEST PICTURE - Frances
BEST ACTOR - James Cagney (Yankee Doodle Dandy)
BEST ACTRESS - Jessica Lange (Frances)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Mel Gibson (The Man Without a Face)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Kim Stanley (Frances)
BEST DIRECTOR - Michael Curtiz (Yankee Doodle Dandy)
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - Yankee Doodle Dandy
BEST SCORE - Pete's Dragon

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

The Party (1968 Blake Edwards) - 4/10
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942 Michael Curtiz) - 6/10
Doctor Strange (2016 Scott Derrickson) - 6/10

Wow, we are not on the same page this week.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

No sir... any interest in The Handmaiden?

any interest in The Handmaiden?

Yes.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Just Live by Night and Doctor Strange from yours, both of which get a 6/10 for me.

The Party: Frickin' hilarious this movie. Also, I once showed it at the senior citizen residence's cinema where I work. They liked it... I loved it! 8.5/10

The brothers Grimsby: We all have certain preferences when it comes to humour and personally, The Tom Green show is The perfect example of what I used to love the most and Sacha Baron Cohen brought back this kind of humour with his show and movies. So he's among my favorite comedians. The Grimbsy Brothers is different and more along the lines of a mix between a Will Ferrell movie and Hardcore Henry and the result is a full on blast of action and absurdities. They do bring the jokes really far, maybe too much for some, but I laughed a lot. 7.5/10

I found the Live by night trailer to look really good. You and Cush just planted the seed of doubt.

Mine:
Bronson: Right after the first 5 minutes you know what kind of movie you just got yourself into. A psychedelic, violent drama. And it's a good one too. Right down my alley. When you're 40 minutes into it, you feel like you've seen enough content for two movies already. Then the mood changes a bit while still being very eerie. The movie does have a few flaws, Nothing worth mentioning. Tom Hardy delivers a 10/10 performance. The music was great. The story was crazy. The worst is that it's a biography. The rating is 8/10.

The great Gatsby: What a wonderful and colourful movie to look at, the cinematography is bright and flashy and you can tell that they put a great deal of work in the settings, costumes and effects. My problem was that I did not really care about the whole love story its centred on. I liked the confrontation between Gatsby and Tom but that's about it. Toby Maguire was all right but I was not fond of his Voice overs. I never saw a movie in which he impressed me and this is no exception. (I always saw him as a lesser Ewan McGregor.) Leo was OK too but nothing compared to his performance in The Aviator, or even Romeo and Juliet. I really liked every scene involving old cars, they were very well made. The Anachronistic music style was enjoyable, the directing was solid but this exotic cocktails, served in a shiny crested crystal glass, tasted a bit flat. 6.5/10

Inherent vice (2014 bluray): I liked the movie but around the middle of it there is a few dragging scenes with rather uninteresting dialogue that slows the story down. (Ex: when Shasta comes back and she talks forever and then they have sex for like four seconds) Some critiques said that there is nothing remotely like this movie but I found that it's like a cross between Chinatown, Vertigo and Fear and loathing in Las Vegas but just not quite as good as any of those movies. The acting was the best part the cast was great, the voice over coming from a female character worked really well and the music was good. Some tracks reminded me of The doors but I really wished they'd insert one of their songs in there too. I also wished I'd saw Benicio a little more.
6.5/10

Three Kings (bluray): although it was not as great as I remembered it to be it was still very good and it went by very fast. Some scenes are high-quality and others not so much. It's a bit strange. Another thing is there is some very gruesome and shocking scenes and then there is some light comedic ones. I guess it balanced the whole thing well. 7.5/10

Excuse my English, I am French-Canadian

FILM

Walk of Shame (2014)
7/10

Snowden (2016)
5/10

TV

American Horror Story (2011): Roanoke [Chapter 2-10]
7/10

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013): Broken Promises
6/10

WEEKLY MOVIE AWARDS

~ ~

A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.
http://ow.ly/buqc302drQZ

Snowden 6.5/10

Yours:

Manchester by the Sea - I also saw it this week. I pretty much agree. 7/10

Silence - shame you didn't like it more. I found it completely engaging throughout. 8/10

Gremlins - I didn't really care for the human characters, but the gremlins are fun and the score from Jerry Goldsmith is great. 7/10

First Time Viewings:

Manchester by the Sea (2016, Kenneth Lonergan)
An uncle is asked to care for his teenage nephew after the boy's father dies. The film has problems in the script department and the film never reaches its full potential due to these issues. Casey Affleck is very good though and carries it.
7/10

Jackie (2016, Pablo Larraín)
Natalie Portman stars as Jackie Kennedy in this biopic showing how she dealt with her husbands death. It took me a little to get used to Portman's accent, but by the end I was conpletely sold on her performance. The film also has excellent cinematography and a great score. It's also pretty short and interesting throughout.
7.5/10

Hidden Figures (2016, Theodore Melfi)
Based on a true story about a team of African American women that provided NASA with important mathematical data needed to launch the program's space missions. I'd never heard this story before and it was pretty interesting. It did feel longer than it needed to be, but it has a good cast and plenty of great moments.
7/10

Kubo and the Two Strings (2016, Travis Knight)
A young boy must locate a magical suit of armor in order to defeat a vengeful spirit. The animation is great, I liked the story, it has a good score, the voice cast is good (especially McConaughey) and overall it's a fun little film.
7/10

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953, Howard Hawks)
Two showgirls travel to Paris pursued by a private detective hired by the suspicious father of one of their fiancée's. The cast is good, there are some great lines here and there, as well as some good laughs, but overall I couldn't ever really get into it.
6/10

The Assassination of Richard Nixon (2004, Niels Mueller)
Inspired by true events, this one is about a businessman who decides to take extreme measures to achieve his American dream. Sean Penn is great in the lead role, which reminded me of Travis Bickle and the film itself reminded me of Taxi Driver at times. The story was interesting, I liked the soundtrack, and it has some great moments.
7.5/10

The Long, Hot Summer (1958, Martin Ritt)
An accused barn burner arrives in a small Mississippi town and quickly ingratiates himself with the richest family. The story is solid enough, but it's the cast that really makes it, with strong performances from Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, and a show stealing Orson Welles.
7/10

The Last King of Scotland (2006, Kevin Macdonald)
Thias one is based on the events of Ugandan dictator Idi Amin's regime as seen by his personal physician. The story was very engaging, with some great tension throughout. James McAvoy is good in the lead role and Forest Whitaker is brilliant in his Oscar winning role.
7.5/10

Live by Night (2016, Ben Affleck)
Ben Affleck's latest directorial effort hasn't been getting the best reviews, but given how much I like his first three films I still had some hope I'd like it. Unfortunately the film never really had me fully invested in what was going on. It's well shot, has good costumes and sets, and the cast is strong, but the script needed work.
6/10

The Ruling Class (1972, Peter Medak)
In thia one a memeber of the House of Lords dies, leaving the estate to his eldest son, who thinks he is Jesus Christ. The other members of the family plot to steal the estate from him. At over 2 ½ hours the film could've done with some trimming, but it has an amussing story, plenty of laughs, and a terrific turn from Peter O'Toole as the crazy son.
7/10

Repeat Viewings:

Prisoners (2013, Denis Villeneuve)
When a man's daughter and her friend go missing, he takes matters into his own hands as the police pursue multiple leads. The film features incredible cinematography, a terrific lowkey score, and masterful direction. The story is great and Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal are excellent as the two leads. He's made some damn good films since, but this is still Villeneuve's best in my book.
8.5/10

Candy (2006, Neil Armfield)
This Australian drama centers around a young couple who struggle with heroin addiction. The film can be hard to watch at times, but has many powerful moments and terrific performances from Heath Ledger and Abbie Cornish.
7.5/10

The Verdict (1982, Sidney Lumet)
In this classic, an alcoholic lawyer sees a chance to salvage his career by taking a medical malpractice case to trial rather than settling. I always enjoy a good Courtroom Drama and this one has an interesting main case and assured direction from Sidney Lumet. Paul Newman turns in one of his finest performances and James Mason is great in his supporting role. I liked this one even more this time around.
8/10

Gone Baby Gone (2007, Ben Affleck)
Ben Affleck's directorial debut is about two Boston area detectives investigating a little girl's kidnapping. The film has some interesting twists along the way, a very good cast, and some great tension. I love the moral dilemma that is presented at the end.
8/10

The Town (2010, Ben Affleck)
It's been several years since I last saw this one, but back when I last saw it I was a huge fan. I can still say that I am. The story isn't the most original, but it has good characters, a great cast, and thrilling action scenes.
8.5/10

Argo (2012, Ben Affleck)
This Best Picture winner is based on a true story about a CIA agent that pretends to be a Hollywood producer scouting filming locations in order to reacue 6 American's in Iran. The story is fascinating and it has a nice balance of humor and nailbiting tension. The cast ia strong, it's well shot, has a good score, and is very satisfying overall.
8/10

Movie Awards:

BEST FILM - Prisoners
BEST ACTOR - Peter O'Toole (The Ruling Class)
BEST ACTRESS - Natalie Portman (Jackie)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR - Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS - Abbie Cornish (Candy)
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY - Roger Deakins (Prisoners)
BEST SCORE - Jóhann Jóhannsson (Prisoners)
BEST SCRIPT - Aaron Guzikowski (Prisoners)
BEST DIRECTOR - Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners)

hey :)
any interest in the handmaiden/ american pastoral?

Manchester by the Sea (2016, Kenneth Lonergan) yup 7/10

Jackie (2016, Pablo Larraín) we have similar thoughts on this 7/10

Hidden Figures (2016, Theodore Melfi) nice little movie, feels like a throwback 6.5/10

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953, Howard Hawks) been too long

The Assassination of Richard Nixon (2004, Niels Mueller) I imagineill see this eventually

The Long, Hot Summer (1958, Martin Ritt) sounds interesting

The Last King of Scotland (2006, Kevin Macdonald) has never appealed but ill get to it

Live by Night (2016, Ben Affleck) ill get to it eventually

Prisoners (2013, Denis Villeneuve)
8/10

The Verdict (1982, Sidney Lumet)
6.5/10

Gone Baby Gone (2007, Ben Affleck)
6/10

The Town (2010, Ben Affleck)
7/10

Argo (2012, Ben Affleck)
it was fibe, i dont imagine ill rewatch though 6.5

Yes I'd like to check out The Handmaiden sometime.

I definitely think you should give Assassination of Richard Nixon a shot. As I said in my review, it reminded me a bit of Taxi Driver.

Interested in any of the others?

I'm surprised you didn't give best score to Goldsmith for Gremlins.

No score excited me this week so there was no award given.

Nah I commented on all the ones I will get to.

Im surprised Otoole topped jackman in prisoners, i cant imagine him being better in anything

Prisoners is probably Jackman's best, but I actually prefer Gyllenhaal's performance and I consider them co-leads.

Peter O'Toole playing a guy who thinks he's Jesus is a sight to behold.

0'Toole is better than Jackman in Prisoners and Prisoners is Jackman at his best. Sean Penn in The Assassination of Richard Nixon is better than both imo.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Penn was up there too.

I figured.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

I know you have Gyllenhaal supporting (I did before, but after this viewing it became quite clear that it's just as much about his character as Jackman's), but which performance do you prefer between the two?

Gyllenhaal

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

I think Gyllenhaal is supporting role but I prefer Jackman regardless in this case

It's very close for me but Jake gives the more interesting performance.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

I disagree. It's equally about both characters.

In your opinion.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

He wouldn't make my lead line-up though. It is borderline for me but I consider it more Jackman's story regardless of screentime.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

He does make my lineup. I actually nominate Gyllenhaal for Best Actor the last four years now.

Cool.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Manchester By the Sea - 5/10 You know my thoughts on this LOL
Jackie - 8/10 Glad you like it
Hidden Figures - 7.5/10 Glad you like it
Kubo and the Two Strings - 6/10 creative looking and good characters but the story is pretty boring and the themes are same old same old.
The Assassination of Richard Nixon - 9/10 Great stuff. My #3 of 2004
The Long Hot Summer - 6.5/10
The Last King of Scotland - 8/10 My #6 of 2006
Live By Night - 4.5/10
The Ruling Class - 7.5/10 Interesting movie and Peter O'Toole is awesome in it. It's my #7 favorite movie of 1972.
Prisoners - 8/10 My #3 of 2013
Candy - 6/10 Good performances but the story is pretty dull
The Versict - 7.5/10 My #6 of 1982
Gone Baby Gone - 8/10 My #6 of 2007
The Town - 6.5/10
Argo - 7.5/10 My #8 of 2012

What are you new nominations this week?

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

I wish The Ruling Class was shorter and that it focused more on O'Toole's character. Some of the parts without him kind of dragged. Overall I did enjoy it though.

I thought you would have liked Candy more.

New acting noms for the week:

Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea
Natalie Portman - Jackie
Forest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland
Sean Penn - The Assassination of Richard Nixon
Peter O'Toole - The Ruling Class
Joanne Woodward - The Long, Hot Summer

I would have nominated Orson Welles for The Long, Hot Summer as well if he wasn't already my win that year for Touch of Evil.

I agree about Orson Welles.

Candy just feels way too familiar and I am not really a big fan of the drug addict sub-genre.

I enjoyed every moment of The Ruling Class but I can understand how some people could be bored in spots and find the film too long. I didn't though.

I wasn't sure if you would nominate Casey Affleck or not.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Affleck is my #5.

Mine too.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

What do you think about Octavia Spencer's nomination?

It ruined a good line-up.

She is perfectly fine in the film but she doesn't do anything special in it. I actually preferred the other actress.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

Agreed. I also liked Monáe better (I assume that's who you mean).

That is who I mean.

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

I find it superfulous

you saw some great stuff this week J-Cush. here's what ive seen of yours (some this week as well, check out my stuff if you like i replied to darkside with my films seen too):

Manchester By the Sea - 9/10

Hidden Figures - 8/10

The Assassination of Richard Nixon - 8/10

Last king of Scotland - 8/10

Live by Night - 7/10

Prisoners - 9/10

Gone Baby Gone - 9/10

The Town - 9/10

Argo - 9/10

Prisoners: Oh I agree with all you said! It's a great, well made movie. 8.5/10

Gone baby gone: I should give this one another try someday, but maybe my friends had hyped it up a little too much before I saw it but I was disappointed. Thought it was average at best. 6/10

The Town: Not a fan of this one neither but not bad. 6.5/10

Bronson: Right after the first 5 minutes you know what kind of movie you just got yourself into. A psychedelic, violent drama. And it's a good one too. Right down my alley. When you're 40 minutes into it, you feel like you've seen enough content for two movies already. Then the mood changes a bit while still being very eerie. The movie does have a few flaws, Nothing worth mentioning. Tom Hardy delivers a 10/10 performance. The music was great. The story was crazy. The worst is that it's a biography. The rating is 8/10.

The great Gatsby: What a wonderful and colourful movie to look at, the cinematography is bright and flashy and you can tell that they put a great deal of work in the settings, costumes and effects. My problem was that I did not really care about the whole love story its centred on. I liked the confrontation between Gatsby and Tom but that's about it. Toby Maguire was all right but I was not fond of his Voice overs. I never saw a movie in which he impressed me and this is no exception. (I always saw him as a lesser Ewan McGregor.) Leo was OK too but nothing compared to his performance in The Aviator, or even Romeo and Juliet. I really liked every scene involving old cars, they were very well made. The Anachronistic music style was enjoyable, the directing was solid but this exotic cocktails, served in a shiny crested crystal glass, tasted a bit flat. 6.5/10

Inherent vice (2014 bluray): I liked the movie but around the middle of it there is a few dragging scenes with rather uninteresting dialogue that slows the story down. (Ex: when Shasta comes back and she talks forever and then they have sex for like four seconds) Some critiques said that there is nothing remotely like this movie but I found that it's like a cross between Chinatown, Vertigo and Fear and loathing in Las Vegas but just not quite as good as any of those movies. The acting was the best part the cast was great, the voice over coming from a female character worked really well and the music was good. Some tracks reminded me of The doors but I really wished they'd insert one of their songs in there too. I also wished I'd saw Benicio a little more.
6.5/10

Three Kings (bluray): although it was not as great as I remembered it to be it was still very good and it went by very fast. Some scenes are high-quality and others not so much. It's a bit strange. Another thing is there is some very gruesome and shocking scenes and then there is some light comedic ones. I guess it balanced the whole thing well. 7.5/10

Excuse my English, I am French-Canadian

Shame you're not a fan of the The Town for Gone Baby Gone.

Yours:

Bronson - it's an odd little film, but I like it. Hardy is brilliant, maybe his best performance. 7.5/10

The Great Gatsby - needs a rewatch, but I enjoyed it. Probably a 7/10

Inherent Vice - I'm a big fan of Paul Thomas Anderson and I like this one a lot. It can be hard to follow at times, but I find it very entertaining and it's got a great cast and a great soundtrack. 8/10