Best and Worst : Worst movie in the Top 250

Worst movie in the Top 250

In your opinion, what is the worst movie currently in the top 250.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6

Re: Worst movie in the Top 250

For me it would be Up.

Yeah, Up or Wall-E.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

7/10=good()5/10=mediocre

There are a few very average and below average movies in the list that are merely popular.

Pulp Fiction.
The Matrix.
Any Star Wars movie.
It's A Wonderful Life. There's a reason it flopped on release.
The Usual Suspects.
Once Upon A Time In The West. Probably the most overrated of all.
Raiders Of The Lost Ark.
The Departed.
Back To The Future. Seriously???
Gladiator.
The Lion King. Oh come on!
Django Unchained. Yeah right!
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises. Come on kiddies - they're Batman movies.
Citizen Kane.
Vertigo. The worst of Hitchcock.
Taxi Driver. No one knows why this is here.
Double Indemnity. Laughable nonsense.
2001 A Space Odyssey. Wow - slo mo spaceships set to music. Rivetting.

Bored now. :)

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

a little bit agree,but Matrix is awesome,really good movie.don't agree with that Matrix
is overrated or a one of the worst in the top 250.

merely popular.

Really? So how else would a top 250 be compiled?

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations" Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

By the quality of the movies rather than their popularity. As is done elsewhere other than IMDB.
As an example the AFI 100 Greatest American movies. Note "greatest" not "most popular".

Now that wasn't really a Mensa problem was it? A little thought preceding a little typing is always wise.

Now that wasn't really a Mensa problem was it? A little thought preceding a little typing is always wise.

How is "greatness" determined? Who determines "greatness"?

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations" Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

How is "greatness" determined? Who determines "greatness"?

I would never presume to say how different people define "great" when judging a movie.
And I made no indication that I was questioning anybody's judgement, or trying to determine what constitutes "greatness". I really don't care.

My comments were quite clearly directed at a specific question that I was asked. Namely:

"Merely popular"

And if you care to read again my response, it is all very clear and concise and answers the question more than adequately.

Looking back I could have done without the sarcasm, for which I apologise.

I would never presume to say how different people define "great" when judging a movie.

You cant even define it let alone see the criteria they used? Thats because there is none. So "great" means anything the person wants and its worthless.

My pee tastes like toast

That may well be the case but i am sure films you have dismissed as merely popular in your post will feature rather high in the afi poll.Kane would be in the top 5 for instance and i am sure 2001 would feature high along with some others.

Basically i think you need to have some idea of what a quality film is and perhaps a little thought before typing would be wise.

That may well be the case but i am sure films you have dismissed as merely popular in your post will feature rather high in the afi poll.

No "may" about it. There are many.
But I have never considered another persons opinion or rating of a movie of any consequence before reaching an opinion of my own.

If others do, and I'm sure they do, that's fine too. Though it takes away somewhat from one's individual assessments.

Having re read my post I find that I made no suggestion that either of the films you mentioned were "merely popular". What I did say was:

There are a few very average and below average movies in the list that are merely popular.

Seeing as I made no indication as to what those movies were, I fail to see how you could infer which I was referring to.

My list was in answer to the original question:

In your opinion, what is the worst movie currently in the top 250.

And that list contains my suggestions, according to MY opinion. Which is, quite plainly, the only one I can honestly give.

Basically i think you need to have some idea of what a quality film is

I am quite confident in my ability to judge quality with regard to movies. What I can't do is use someone else's criteria to make those judgements.
If your assessment of quality differs from mine, that's as it should be.

But your arrogance in implying that yours is better than mine because you rate films differently is presumptuous to say the least.

You are quite right of course but not once have i inferred that my idea of a quality film is better than yours.
I implied that the Afi might have a better idea! If i remember correctly!

Truce please!

You are quite right of course but not once have i inferred that my idea of a quality film is better than yours.

If I mistakenly gleaned an implication that was not there, then I humbly apologise.

An exchange of intelligent ideas is always welcome, so no truce necessary as there was no animosity intended.

I notice with delight that you rate Night Of The Hunter as highly as I do. A film that doesn't make the IMDB top 250 list.

A movie that, disgracefully, doesn't rate in the AFI's list either.

An opinion, when regarding movie tastes, is merely that. An opinion. And it matters not who that opinion belongs to. It holds no more weight than mine or yours.

Buona vision Luigi.

I really really like Night of the Hunter. For me it is a masterpiece.

I wouldnt expect it to be on the IMDB top 250 as it is very rarely shown anywhere these days-well in England anyway!
I also love One Eyed Jacks and i wonder what it is about one time directors! At least they can never say they made a bad film. Kotch also comes to mind.

Apparently i have rated 132 films on IMDb-not sure how seriously i took it as there are a lot of tens in there!

But Hunter is definetly a ten.

So glad you like it also.

A domani forse!

Its popularity thats why we have retarded bat man movies, cause retarded bat man viewers like to vote 10 for it

My pee tastes like toast

You're trying way too hard to be cool and edgy. And failing.

Or you have terrible taste.

You're trying way too hard to be cool and edgy. And failing.
Or you have terrible taste.

Wrong on both counts.

You just think I'm trying to be cool and edgy because you can't fathom that anybody would genuinely disagree with the consensus on IMDB regarding the top 250 movie list.

And you obviously regard your taste as better than mine because yours coincides with the majority, therefore you must be right.

If you wish to take comfort in the opinions of others to justify your own, that is fine. But it is arrogant to assume that the rest of us have to.

And if you genuinely think that all 250 movies in the IMDB list are there because of their outstanding quality, then you are naïve to say the least.

Anatole France said:
"If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

I have to agree.

I don't come on here to try and impress a bunch of total strangers I care nothing about, by trying to be cool, edgy or anything else.

I just stated something I honestly believe. IE: my opinion.
What I didn't do was indicate in anyway that mine was the right or only opinion.

I leave that to your good self and others like you.

PS: I've just noticed from your forum history that you very rarely, if ever, make any posts of your own. You've merely spent 11 years telling everybody else that they are wrong in their posts. Which can only lead me to believe you carry the delusion that you know everything and are therefore always right!!

Be happy with that thought. :)

Anatole France said:
"If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."

Socrates said:
"All men say the moon is a god. Who am I to disagree with all men?"

Socrates said:
"All men say the moon is a god. Who am I to disagree with all men?"

But they don't all say that.
And they didn't all say that in Socrates day either. It was the Greek senate that insisted on it. By no means was it "mankind" as Socrates stated.
Even the Greeks had different ideas about the Moon 400 years before Socrates.

It's better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
- Anatole France

Bored now. :)

Ditto.

Once Upon A Time In The West. Probably the most overrated of all.

How exactly do you consider this the most overrated, let alone 'average/below average' while you seemingly have no objection to Good Bad Ugly being #9?

2001 A Space Odyssey. Wow - slo mo spaceships set to music. Rivetting.

Ooops... never mind, didn't realize I was writing to a troll...

The films on the list which I rate 3/10 or less:

The Green Mile
Amelie
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Interstellar
A Beautiful Mind

The Green Mile
Interstellar

May I ask why on these two? Especially The Green Mile?

The Green Mile - dull, simple-minded and patronising.
Interstellar - ridiculous and pompous.

I found both films dreary as anything, and way overlong.

The current Top 250, I've seen 127 of the movies in full, excluding movies I've only watched partly, or movies I've not seen at all.

The questionable movies for me are:

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
I can understand TDK and Batman Begins, but seeing TDKR in the Top 250 shows Nolanites in full force giving perfect 10s. It's not bad, but imo certainly not worthy of the Top 250 and questions the whole Top 250 altogether.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Maybe I watched this too late (only last year), but I don't see the greatness of this movie.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Not that great.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
Did not find this funny, jokes are dated. Life of Brian and even Meaning of Life is better. In fact movies like The Naked Gun and Airplane are more worthy of the Top 250 for their impact on movie parodies.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
I can understand TDK and Batman Begins, but seeing TDKR in the Top 250 shows Nolanites in full force giving perfect 10s. It's not bad, but imo certainly not worthy of the Top 250 and questions the whole Top 250 altogether.

Here's someone who gets it.

It's an average movie with a unique fan base. Unique=psycho.

I actually know people first hand who have multiple accounts so they can vote up on all Nolan films and vote down on everything else on the top 250 that is in the same range as TDKR. They're obsessed with its spot on the list. It's really quite pathetic.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

About as boring as watching paint dry or grass grow.

The Help

Highest ranked movie that i think is below average at best... Fight Club (1999)

but just to list the movies in the Top 250 that i consider failure level (i.e. 3/10 tops)...

Inception (2010)
Star Wars (1977)
City of God (2002)
Interstellar (2014)
Memento (2000)
Amelie (2001)
Full Metal Jacket (1987) (it's not bad until not long after R Lee Ermey's character dies and then it's completely boring)

p.s. i have seen 149/250. or basically 49% of the movies in the Top 250.

My Top 100ish Movies = http://goo.gl/EYFYdz My Favorites = http://boxd.it/UkLa

That math

For Winners, Losing Inspires Them. For Losers, Losing Defeats Them

Full Metal Jacket wasn't that bad. THe first half was brilliant. Gave a 7.

Amelie is a funny and touching film. It has a unique style though which not everyone likes.

City of God was quite good, gave an 8.

I can get how people hate popular films such as Inception and Interstellar, but Memento? I think you should give it a second try, it's a brilliant mystery thriller.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Batman Begins
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Prisoners
The Grapes Of Wrath
Chak de! India (and not because I'm blindly bashing Bollywood films like most of you)

Forrest Gump

The instrument has yet to be invented that can measure my indifference to that remark.

The movies I saw that I rate the lowest are:

Finding Nemo - Not funny AT ALL. Total boring tale of neuroticism void of any real humor.
Terminator 2 - Awful, poorly written/acted sequel. Only a nostalgia nerd, or knuckle draggin action junkie can ignore all the eye rolling dialog/scenes.
Monsters Inc. - Seriously? Better than Boogie Nights, Twelve Monkeys, Jaws, and a bunch of movies that could be in the top 250? Give me a break.
12 Years a Slave - More like 12 weeks a slave, and is pure plagiarism of better movies that covered the topic of slavery. Inferior to those in every way.
Gran Torino - No business with that rating or being anywhere near the top 250. The movie is a joke.

I also hated Interstellar, which I gave the same the same rating as I did Heat, which I felt was just Meh. I guess Interstellar got some technical points, but storywise...wow, what a heap of a flaming dog shyt.

Any of the Star Wars movies
Mad Max: Fury Road
Interstellar
Batman Begins
Dark Knight Rises
Citizen Kane

Inception (2010).

I'm a Leo fan, but definitely not a fan of this film.

I've rated about 100 although I've seen several more. I'll list the films I've rated less than 5/10 stars...

The Dark Knight (2008)
Alien (1979)
Blade Runner (1982)
Aliens (1986)

Wow--that's some seriously @#$% taste.

I'd go with either Inside Out or Taxi Driver.

Mary and Max

Annie Hall and La Vita e Bella (Life is Beautiful)

There are many movies on the list I don't like much, but those two are the only ones out of the 151 I've seen that I consider bad movies.

In case anyone want to see movies I've rated 5/10:

Pulp Fiction
Interstellar
Inception
Incendies
To Kill a Mockingbird
Gone Girl
It Happened One Night
The Help

Usual Suspects and Big Lebowski are both 4/10 for me.

Dark night bores everyone....

My pee tastes like toast

Both monty python movies imo

Forrest Gump
Interstellar
Dark Knight Rises
Gladiator

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
Good Will Hunting
The Silence of the Lambs
The Maltese Falcon
Memento
Scarface
Twelve Monkeys

Donald Trump is the weak man's vision of a strong man.

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.