Best and Worst : What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (06/02-12/02)

Re: What Movies Did You Watch Last Week? (06/02-12/02)

Hey there Dark :)

YOURS

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010) 8 - Love it. Great fun all around

Fading Gigolo (2013) 7 - Certainly enjoyable with great chemistry between Allen and Turturro.

Chariots Of Fire (1981) 7 - Decent enough for me, but definitely not worthy of Best Picture that year. Score is brilliant though.

MINE

First Time Viewing:

Star Trek Beyond (2016) 7 - A somewhat good action blockbuster but not a great Trek film. Weakest of the trilogy for me.

Suicide Squad (2016) 6.5 - Like Batman v Superman, I loved what some characters offered (mainly Harley Quinn and Deadshot) but the movie as a whole ends up a mess.

Silence (2016) 8.5 - I am shocked this hasn't been a big awards contender. Quite simply a masterpiece from Scorsese in my book.

Hail, Caesar! (2016) 6.5 - Once again a collection of good things (Brolin and Alden Ehrenreich performances, good musical numbers) but fails to produce a complete and fulfilling package.

Sully (2016) 6 - Have been somewhat disappointed in some Eastwood films these last few years. Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart offer great sympathetic performances and the spirit of human unity is a welcome quality of the film, but it ultimately feels bland most of the time.

Trolls (2016) 6.5 - Perhaps a little too cookie cutter at times, but the good visuals and vibrant music make for a great little film for kids with some parts for adults to like.

John Wick (2014) 8 - A straightforward kickass action film that delivers in what it sets out to do. Can't wait to see the sequel.

Repeat Viewing:

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi (2016) 7.5 - Liked it even more the second time. Bay at his best.

MOVIE AWARDS
Best Film: Silence
Best Actor: Andrew Garfield (Silence)
Best Actress: Margot Robbie (Suicide Squad)
Best Supporting Actor: Liam Neeson (Silence)
Best Supporting Actress: Sofia Boutella (Star Trek Beyond)
Best Director: Martin Scorsese (Silence)
Best Screenplay: Jay Cocks & Martin Scorsese (Silence)

Hey there Tiago

YOURS

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010) 8 - Love it. Great fun all

Star Trek Beyond (2016) 6.5 easily the best of the trilogy fir me and most like old Trek

Suicide Squad (2016) a mess with some good characters 6

Sully (2016) 6 yeah I agree

John Wick (2014) 4.5

FIRST TIME MOVIE VIEWING

The Little Bear Movie (2001) 6/10
tv

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2016) 5/10
cinemas

Superhero Movie (2008) 2/10
e-streaming

Rings (2017) 4/10
cinemas

WEEKLY MOVIE AWARDS

BEST FILM: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
BEST ACTOR: ----
BEST ACTRESS: Milla Jovovich, Resident Evil 6
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Iain Glen, Resident Evil 6
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Ever Anderson, Resident Evil 6
BEST SCORE: Resident Evil 6
BEST SCRIPT: ----
BEST DIRECTOR: Raymond Jafelice, The Little Bear Movie

The might of Elrond is in wisdom not in weapons, it is said.

not seen any of these

First Viewings...

-The Lair of the White Worm (1988) (Feb 8th 2017) - 6/10 (it's carried by Amanda Donohoe (who plays the villain) as the movie is at it's best when she's on screen. when she's not on screen, it does have it's duller stretches. but at this point it's a movie ill see again at some point in the future.)

-Hacksaw Ridge (2016) (Feb 8th 2017) - 6/10 (it turned out about how i expected it would. i like it but it's nothing amazing like it's made out to be. but i think people are a sucker for these kinds of movies and then overpraise them accordingly. with that said... it does have it's moments here and there but overall it's nothing special.)

-Bad Santa 2 (2016) UNRATED (Feb 9th 2017) - 6/10 (not as good as the first movie but it's still a movie i would see again at this point)

-Antonia's Line (1995) (Feb 10th 2017) - 2/10 (killed it @ 44min due to boredom)

Re-watches...

-After the Sunset (2004) (Feb 6th 2017) - 6/10 (was a 8/10. i used to think this was the best Brosnan/Hayek movie but that's now changed over to... Some Kind of Beautiful(6.5-7/10))

-What Women Want (2000) (Feb 7th 2017) - 6/10 (this might be my second viewing of the movie. either way, it's been ages since i last viewed it. it takes a while to get up to speed as before that happens it's somewhat so-so, but overall i like the movie.)

p.s. in general for me... 5/10 or less = Thumbs Down. 6/10 or higher = Thumbs Up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP's...

-Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) - 4/10

My Top 100ish Movies = http://goo.gl/EYFYdz My Favorites = http://boxd.it/UkLa

-The Lair of the White Worm (1988) - not seen for a long time but i agree Amanda carried the film 5.5/10

-Hacksaw Ridge (2016) - 5.5-6/10

-What Women Want (2000) passable 5/10

Gone Tokyo Nazis Chile

Gone with the Wind (1939) / Victor Fleming. “The Moviest Movie Of Them All.” Just about everything that can be said about GWTW has been said, I think, but it showed up on TCM’s 31 Days Of Oscar festival so I DVR'd it. I hadn’t seen it for decades. Thinking back, it must have been 40 or more years ago that I last watched it all the way through. This time I focused as best I could on the Good Parts – it’s picture of slavery and of the Old South as a world of gentility filled with dashing Cavaliers and delicate damsels has been chewed over extensively. I wanted to look at it as an example of movie storytelling. From that aspect, this is indeed a deathless classic. The main ingredient is the audacious casting of an English stage and film actress as the (for the late 1930s) beloved heroine, Scarlett O’Hara. Vivien Leigh carries this huge film with her astonishing performance. Clark Gable may not have thought himself to have been right for Rhett Butler, but he lights up the screen whenever he is on it, even, at times, overshadowing Leigh. Most of us can recite the rest of the cast by heart. Music, cinematography, Technicolor – everything goes toward making this the classic it is. Yet, in the back of all our minds, no matter how we try to ignore it and think of other things, we know, as Pres. Lincoln wrote in a letter to a Kentucky newspaper editor, “If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong.” This is a sentiment found nowhere in “Gone With The Wind.”

Destination Tokyo (1943) / Delmer Daves. Suspenseful but padded WWII submarine adventure. Ace U.S. submarine commander Capt. Cassidy (Cary Grant) is given a dangerous secret mission to sneak his ship into heavily mined Tokyo harbor to prepare the way for Doolittle’s Raid on that city, the first American bombs to fall on Japan. If you are thinking that Cary Grant is an unlikely candidate as a navy captain of a submarine, you would be misled. He gives one of his best dramatic performances. Consider also, that Grant had turned down the role, eventually given to Humphry Bogart, as a desert tank commander in “Sahara” to take the “Tokyo” assignment which had been turned down by Clark Gable. He is given some good support from some up-and-coming young actors. John Garfield is the most prominent of the names at the time of the film. Dane Clark, John Forsythe, Warner Anderson, and William Prince make the most of their chances in very early movie appearances. In the naïve, gee-whiz, country boy from Kansas role is Robert Hutton in his first credited movie. Instead of the usual stereotype, Hutton finds a real character to play and transcends the script he has been handed. More gossip: Cary Grant and Hutton’s cousin, heiress Barbara Hutton, were practically newlyweds when the film was shot. Whether that influenced Hutton’s casting is unknown. However he got on board, he came through impressively. The padding I mentioned earlier takes the form of way too much male bonding, joking around, and crew members pranking each other. It was, I guess, supposed to be heartwarming and funny, but I wanted them to just get on with the story – which is a terrific one and keeps one biting one’s nails.

Anthropoid (2016) / Sean Ellis. On the Eastern European front of the Big War, some Czech ex-pats led by Josef Gabcík (Cillian Murphy) parachute into Nazi occupied Czechoslovakia with a very serious mission: assassinate Reinhard Heydrich, the Nazi architect of the Holocaust who is currently in Prague to direct the pacification of the population. While remaining undetected they must find a way to get close to Heydrich and to convince the Resistance fighters to help them which they are reluctant to do, knowing the horrific reprisals that will result. In spite of some good scenes and some serious acting, this film is something of a lost opportunity. There is a lack of urgency at the center of the script and direction plus some pretty routine staging of the war action and resulting gun battles. I expected to be moved by the sacrifices of these dedicated people, but watched most of the movie feeling uninvolved. Too bad.

Neruda (2016) / Pablo Larrain. I am happy that for my last review on the last weekly thread is of one of the best movies I have seen in a long, long time. While grounded in the life and history of the Chilean poet Pablo Neruda (1904-1973), this is a poetic fantasy (a poem in movie form about a poet) that counters Neruda’s flight from Chile in the late 1940s when his country’s fascist government outlawed the Communist Party with a young police inspector who pursues him. Inspector Peluchonneau (Gael García Bernal), who narrates, is given the job of finding Neruda and arresting him. Neruda, himself (Luis Gnecco), doesn’t want to be caught but enjoys the thrill of the chase. As the cat-and-mouse game goes on, the events, the thoughts, the motivations get more dreamlike. Music (as in Larrain’s “Jackie”) plays an enormous part in setting the mood. To repeat my previous metaphor, I felt like I was experiencing a poem on the movie screen. It is not easy to describe; most of the professional reviews I have looked at describe the movie in realistic terms of a police manhunt. Nothing could be further from what I experienced in the theater. This may take some time to digest but my first impression is that this is a fine and great film.

mf

“I know that, in spite of the poets, youth is not the happiest season"

Re: Gone Tokyo Nazis Chile

First Time Movie Viewing

1. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974) 5/10
2. When Time Expires (1997) (TV)
3. Justice League Dark (2017) (V) 7/10

Repeat Movie Viewing

1. The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) 6/10
2. Lord Love a Duck (1966) 5/10
3. Ghostbusters (2016) 8/10

First Time TV Viewing

The Nine Lives of Chloe King

Season 1, Episode 9 "Responsible" 5/10
Season 1, Episode 10 "Beautiful Day" 6/10

Justice League Action

Season 1, Episode 7 "Zombie King" 6/10

Legends of Tomorrow

Season 2, Episode 11 "Turncoat" 6/10

Ghostbusters 2016 2/10

I've not seen gone with the wind in decades either, I remember it being colorful and very long and perhaps a little condescending to black peoples.

Yours:

haven't seen any

Mine (2 weeks worth since i wasn't able to reply last week) :

First-Time Viewing:

Painless (2016) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER- 8/10 - interesting premise, great acting from lead, overall impressive indie film about a man with a rare disease which makes him not feel any kind of physical pain.

(#468 on my all-time favorite film list)

Paterson (2016) - 8//10 - amazing characters, Adam Driver is really good in this, thought this was well-done and evokes a lot of emotion.

(#328 on my list of all-time favoritte films)

Forgotten Man (2017) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER - 8/10 - interesting story about a young homeless actor part of a theatre company which all the actors are homeless. When he meets a upscale girl that he falls for he struggles between concealing the truth about his occupation/life and impressing her.

(#535 on my list of All-Time Favorite films)

The Valley (2017) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER - 8/10 - a serious drama about an entrepreneur who struggles to unveil what were the reasons for his daughter's sudden suicide.

(#415 on my list of All-Time Favorite Films)

Jackie (2016) - 8/10 - interesting biopic about a pivotal time in american history seen through the eyes of jacklyn kennedy

(#456 on my list of All-Time Favorite Films)

Quality Problems (2016) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER - 6/10 - interesting premise and characters, however dull delivery/acting failed to make me really care about characters too much, despite some great moments and some good writing.

Neighborhood Food Drive (2017) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER - 6/10 -

This is Meg (2017) CINEQUEST PRESS SCREENER - 6/10 - struggled to care much about plot or characters despite some well-written scenes and solid production values.

The Salesman (2016) - 10/10 - Amazing direction/writing from farhadi, shahab hosseini shines in the leading role that earned him a Cannes prize. This is one of the best films of 2016 (my 2nd favorite behind Silence), very effective and spellbinding approach to unveiling plot.

(#68 on myst list of All-Time Favorite films)

Lion (2016) - 8/10 - well-written drama, with a fantastic performance from dev patel.

(#456 on my List of All-Time favorite films)

Lazybones (2016) - 7/10 - wasn't a big fan of the cinematography/editing on this, lead actor plays role very well, its well-written, overall just stellar, but not spectacular indie film about a uber driver who is an aspiring standup comedian and struggles with notions of what he wants to do in life.

American Pastoral (2016) - 6/10 - interesting premise, but had some very outrageous and unbelievable aspects i just couldn't get behind. Some very good performances, but overall ewan mcgregor should have took a step back and thought to himself, are people going to buy this *beep* (buy as in believe).

Repeat Viewing:

The Nice Guys (2016) - 9/10 - very enjoyable.

(#275 on my list of All-Time favorite films)

25th Hour (2002) - 10/10 - one of my favorite films of all-time, some of the best writing (my favorite monologue ever), and ed norton in rare form. not to mention great performances from phillip seymour hoffman, rosario dawson, anna paquin & barry pepper.

(#5 on my list of All-Time favorite films. )

Ghost World (2001) - 9/10 - solid film, Thora Birch & Scarlett johansson both shine. good follow up for thora after shining in american beauty.

(#287 on my list of all-time favorite films)

Scent of a Woman (1992) - 6/10 one of the most overrated oscar films, good message but cheesy acting and writing. HOO-WAH

FYC: Silence, Scorsese, Affleck, Negga, Ali, Davis

Jackie (2016) - 7/10

American Pastoral (2016) - 6.5/10

The Nice Guys (2016) - 8/10 one of the best of last year

25th Hour (2002) - 7/10 one of spike lees best.

Ghost World (2001) - 6.5/10 due a rewatch

Scent of a Woman (1992) - 6.5/10 yeah its fine and memorable but not great