Cult TV : Twin Peaks . . . . Damn fine or not your cup of coffee?

Twin Peaks . . . . Damn fine or not your cup of coffee?

'Who killed Laura Palmer?'
'Was Diane a real person or the name of Dale Cooper's dictaphone?'
'What was that about?'

I'd love to hear what you've got to say about it . .

Re: Twin Peaks . . . . Damn fine or not your cup of coffee?

In my opinion I think twin peaks was a cutting edge top notch tv series. Of course since it was Lynch's child it was hard to follow and rather weird -- but that's part of why it was so good. One of the most original series ever to see the small screen, great plots and tons of characters and sub-plots. that diane question is interesting, we never saw him send the tapes off to a steno to have typed out, so who the hell was diane? Who killed Laura Palmer we all know was Bob inside of Leyland (Laura's father and now the devil on the Reaper tv series). What has happened to Josey?

One thing I am proud to recall (when I read somewhere that Diane was the name of the Dictaphone!) is that early in the series when the Norwegians were staying at the Great Northern Hotel Cooper records:

"There's a large group of insane men staying on my floor. Diane, I'm wondering if you could overnight express to me two pair of those Ear-Pillow Silicon Ear Plugs I used the last time I had to visit New York. ...."

Josie just collapsed and died after she killed Eckhardk and her soul is trapped in the wood of the hotel?

Do you like the way the series ends?

"You're maudling and full of self-pity. You're magnificent."
- Addison DeWitt in 'All About Eve'

Re: Josie Packard Death

It's been a long time but I remember Josie being turned into a knob on a dresser by the evil "Bob". been a while though, that's why I put the tag: 'What has happened to Josey?"..... bob says it freaking out/

Damn fine! A 10/10 masterpiece and the greatest television series to date.

"How's Annie?"- Special Agent Dale Cooper/BOB

I love it, but it tails off once Leland is arrested.

I like to believe Diane is an actual person, and that's what I'm sticking to.

I've read in many places that Carol Lynley was signed on to play Diane, but nothing ever came of that.

"You know what, Stewie, if you don't like it, go on the internet and complain."

The best thing that`s ever been on TV, genuinely creepy and intriguing. There are few fairly crappy episodes but overall it`s just so effective, dark and odd, Lynch is a genius.

The key to joy is disobedience.

An absolutely amazing TV show, an in my opinion there hasn't been anything as good since. I remembered watching parts of it as a pre-teen but I really hadn't a clue what was going on, my Mom was a big fan and she bought both seasons on VHS. Watching it again a few years ago, I was almost obsessed with it that Diane thing used to drive me insane! I must re-watch the tapes, it's been ages since I saw it. It's one of those shows, the more you think about it, the less certain things make sense probably just best to enjoy it and not over-analyze.
Brilliant, Brilliant show.

Also, this just came to me after reading this thread, I've posted it on the Buffy board too, but do any of you think that the Buffy episode "Doublemeat Palace" intentionally referenced Twin Peaks when they had the weird killer old lady order a coffee and a cherry pie? Now I'm over-analyzing....

Four legs good, Two legs bad

Damn fine.

And I think in the canon Dale Cooper autobiography he states Diane is a real person.

The first season is the best show ever shown on TV. The second season sucks.

Re: No cup for me, thanks

Watched it when it was on TV back in 1990's ( I was 5) and absolutely loved it, dont think I would have understood it but I loved it :D

Watched it again at 18 a few years ago and loved it even more.

LOVE it :D

I always just assumed Diane was a real person that Coop was sending his tapes to for some reason ;o)

Havent seen season 2 since I was a kid though as it hasnt been released on DVD over here yet :(

Backside melts into the sofa
My world, my tv, and my food.

Re: No cup for me, thanks

Damn fine.

Ahhh....the log lady and cherry pie! I'm a Lynch lover so this is right up my alley.

Sherry

"rise up, little sister. turn on the light"

Loved the show. Never missed an episode. I always imagined that the show was never about what was really going on but was about the characters and the story line was secondary.

MORE COWBELL!
we are legion

it was dam fine........
so I have been re-watching my DVDs of "Northern Exposure" , and in season 1
episode 5 ( titled "The Russian Flu " -aired in 1990 ) this scene starts with
a large misty waterfall and some really eerie music and the first thing I
thought of was TwinPeaks - and sure enough the scene continues and they had
3 characters doing a "riff" on TwinPeaks - a woman is looking through a
viewing telescope and says " hey , there's a woman over there - she is
carrying something - what is she carrying ? - looks like a log .
I think it's fun when shows reference each other - whatever the intent .

I liked it... there's been nothing like it since.

Lynch is getting difficult to follow.

That's what I love about David Lynch movies. I always tell myself to stop trying to make sense of things. -.-

Anyways, damn fine.

Gypsy: Hey, Tom, I don't get you.
Tom: Nobody does - I'm the wind, baby!

Kyle MacLachlan is in the UK at the moment promoting Twin Peaks:Season 2 - just thought I'd let you know.............no other reason than that.

Damn fine theme tune.

One of my favourite TV series ever. Yes I feel it falls apart a bit after Laura's killer is found, but IMO it's only for a few episodes and then it picks up again and has a brilliant ending.

Brilliant...I have no idea what is going on

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

Funny how people love it so much now, because when it was on people hated the second season and drove it off the air. I really loved the ending. The weirdest thing you'll probably ever see on television. Too bad that all we care about now are reality shows and American Idol.

Started off good, but when they tried to stretch it beyond the one season, it fell apart.

I agree with the above. It was definitely a great, groundbreaking show but once Laura Palmer's murder was solved, the show started to unravel. The second season, with the whole Windam Earle (sp??) thing was weak after a tremendous first season. I still love it, though, and I'll watch it when they show the reruns on Chiller.

I don't really like talking about my flair.

I DIG WIERD, BUT COME ON REALLY?

The only thing that prevents me proclaiming it as my favourite TV Show of all time is that, and it hurts to admit it, but it does slighlty lose some of its strength after we find out who killed Laura. Theres a quick lull for a few episodes then it gets good again, but the Windham Earl plot just doesn't live up to the Laura Palmer plot, its great, but not amazing like the 1 season and 1st half of the second!

The ending tho is an ABSOLUTE BLINDER!!! It couldn't have ended better if you ask me, without going to a third series.

"Fellas, don't drink that coffee! There was a fish....... IN the percolator!"

Not my cup of anything. I admit to not watching the series all the way through, but then I don't usually watch T V series that bore me.

Damn fine... as I have already written in another thread on this board:

"This show is really great!
It isn´t just my favorite TV-show of all time, but it´s also the show with the greatest influence on TV ever.
The TV-landscape chanced after this brilliant masterpiece was aired at the beginning of the 90s.
And beside the awesome mixture of pretty many elements and genres, it was able to show, what television could really achieve.
After "Twin Peaks" creative people, which were influenced by this show, created some of the best, famous and extraordinary shows of all time.
Suddenly tv-shows were filled with wired supernatural elements, crime/murder/mystery plots so complex they needed more than one episode to solve them and very eccentric but loveable characters.
Sometimes in combination.

So many really different shows from "Northern Exposure", "The X-Files", "Picket Fences" over "Murder One", "Ally McBeal", "The Sopranos", "The Wire", "Veronica Mars", "Carnivale", "Lost" and "24" till today´s shows like "Breaking Bad", "Dexter", "True Blood" and "Desperate Housewives" were all partly inspired by the pioneer work of "Twin Peaks".
It´s a pity, that many people don´t seem to know that.
This show will for me always be a piece of art that had an impact on modern television.
And I´m thankful for both."

I loved most of it when it was on, except for that stupid soap opera, show-within-a-show beep that seemed to take up so much time and was boring as hell. The mythology and the dark side of things was great. I hated most of the characters, though. Doubt I'll watch it again.

"Worthington, we're being attacked by giant bats!"

Best TV show ever!

Damn fine!

One day I would love to visit the double R diner in Washington state, and sample a piece of cherry pie.

I remember reading that if it had not been cancelled, Diane was going to be brought in, and she would've been played by Carol Lynley.

As for the show, I would frequently start to doze off during dialogue heavy scenes until something shocking would suddenly occur (like what's-her-name with the eye patch crushing that glass in her bare hand). I liked the whole "who killed Laura Palmer" mystery that was the centre piece of the show. However, once that mystery was solved, for me that's where the series should've ended.

One of my favorite series ever. Still ahead of its time today. Stoked about new episodes

Because she has a great ass! and you've got your head all the way up it!

It's the grandaddy of, and far superior to, the genre of programs it spawned, none of whom are anywhere nearly as inventive, eerie, witty or clever (the recent Wayward Pines is a good example of the sort of Twin Peaks wannabe that gets it all wrong).

Agreed. Often imitated, never duplicated

Because she has a great ass! and you've got your head all the way up it!

When it first aired, Twin Peaks was revolutionary and a masterpiece compared to the all the other crap that was also airing.

And the show still holds up today. In fact, you can find it's influence in countless current shows that wouldn't exist if it wasn't for TP: True Detective, Fargo, Rectify, etc...

Can you dig it? I knew that you could!

Used to be a damn fine slice of pie.

I used to go out on Saturday nights( I mean I WAS 21!)and the bar I hung out at had a TV in the bands dressing room backstage and they always let me and my friend go backstage to watch an hour of tv.
Dorks! no wonder right

But Remember this was before TV on demand or the internet was in every home, so if I missed it, that was that I thought I would never see it again.
Sounds dumb now i was addicted to its dreaminess.

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

I loved it's strange humour and the odd style by David Lynch but I only got through the first season. Not because I lost interest but more due to being busy haha.. I should get back to it though, it's the only Lynch work iv'e seen so far!

twin peaks was/is awsome. the show was originally intended to be 5 seasons but abc wanted laura palmer's murder resolved quickly. along with lara Flynn boyle killing the dale cooper/Audrey horne relationship because lara Flynn boyle was dating kyle McLachlan and apparently jealous of the cooper/Audrey storyline, she had it nixed which really ticked off sherilyn fenn.

First season was great. Second not so great.

You could actually see the quality decline. The first season was filmed like a movie, the second was "filmed" on videotape.

If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do...you are misinformed---Mark Twain