Cult TV : Favorite TV shows that never made it passed Season 1?

Re: Favorite TV shows that never made it passed Season 1?

The Secret Circle

There are several recent series which were cancelled early. I will restrict the list to three.

'Firefly', 'Journeyman' & 'John Doe'.

You can't palm off a second-rater on me. You gotta remember I was in the pink!

Book of Daniel, Aidan Quinn and Ellen Burstyn

Over There, Erik Palladino and Sticky Fingaz

Head Cases, Adam Goldberg and Chris O'Donnell

My vote echoes several others... FlashForward. It started off with so much promise, then came the mid-season break (uh-oh) and the plot never recovered. We watched it to the bitter end, and were gutted when it just vanished without trace.

Does anybody remember the 1980's BBC show "The Tripods"? They made two seasons of the three - it was a trilogy, obviously. Then... nothing. I had to track down a copy of the book just to find out how it ended!!

And what about "Danger Theater"? Wickedly funny, only shown once here in the UK and that was very late night BBC2.

Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery

I remember Danger Theatre. I was going to post it as my answer to the thread but then I found you had already placed it on here. I was only about 9 when it was shown on BBC 2. I had to record it. I only have two on tape and both are now to delicate to play. I was allowed to record it because it had Robert Vaughn in it and BBC 2 were showing The Man From Unlce in the family slot at the time, so that's why I was allowed to record Danger Theatre. I wish they would bring put a DVD of that.

Hi!
Thanks for the comment.
I definitely agree that Danger Theater should be on DVD.

Filby: Which three books would you have taken?

Firefly, The Cape, Blade The Series & Clerks the animated series.

Goth for LIFE!

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., Wolflake, Firefly, The Fades.

Good catch on Brisco County. I loved that show. I'll nominate The Tick as another favourite.

An oldie but goodie would be the Western-era sitcom Best of the West.

The River

Hellcats

Caprica! Was a really good prospect but was never really given a chance!

Dresden Files

Wonderfalls
Firefly
Freaks & Geeks
Earth 2
Adventures of Brisco County, Jr
Police Squad
My So-Called Life
The Prisoner (1967)
Battlestar Galactica (1978)
Jack and Bobby
Gidget
He & She
Square Pegs
The Jetsons

And I know technically it had two seasons, but I'm gonna say Pushing Daisies, too. Its first season was shortened to just 9 episodes by the writer's strike, then its second was shortened to 13 by ABC who kept bouncing it all around the schedule and putting it on long hiatuses still expecting it to find an audience when no one could find it. It ended up with 22 episodes altogether which is equal to one whole season.

(knock,knock,knock) Penny (knock,knock,knock) Penny (knock,knock,knock) Penny

My Brother and Me

Volker Flenske: (While torturing David) I don't know why you're doing this to yourself!

"The Powers That Be"

"Commander In Chief" (but only when Rod Lurie was in charge of the production).

Yes, technically it did, but "TPTB" started as a mid-season replacement that ran for 8 episodes, and, factoring in season 2, it added up to about 21 episodes which is the average for 1 entire year of a series.

Firefly
Freaks and geeks
Gareth marenghis darkplace

Point Pleasant and The Inside were two shows that did not go beyond Season 1. I was so disappointed.

Firefly definitely :(
Intelligence too.

Agent Mulder believes we are not alone.

Favorite TV shows that never made it passed Season 1? - wallacesawyer

Four pages of replies as I post this, so these have probably been mentioned already. Two that come right to mind:

Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Maximum Bob

------------------
"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously." - Noam Chomsky

My Little Pony Tales
Two Of A Kind
Maybe It's Me
The Babysitters Club
Trollz

You dodge a question like a character dodges a punch on Mortal Kombat.-IceJJFish

The Nine Lives of Chloe King
Studio 60 in the Sunset Strip

Oh, and Surface. Really liked it and would have liked to see where they took it in season 2.

Now And Again
Star Cops
Fish (with Paul McGann
Lillies
Plotlands
Danger Theatre (LMAO now just thinking about it)
Heist
The Michael Essany Show (I can only remember the episode where Jerry O'Connell flirts with Michael's Mum and she is blushing and amused)
The original Battlestar Galactica
Bucky O'Hare
Rude Dog And The Tweebs
The House Of Grissle
Dark Season (1992)
Petrocelli.

And I know it got to season 4 but The Cleveland Show got taken off just when it got into gear.

Easily my so called life

Firefly
Happy Town
Invasion
Dresden Files
Terra Nova
EndGame
Surface
Persons Unknown
Threshold
The Event
Flashforward

We are the rejected,the humiliated,we are the outcasts.We are the monsters that you created#TheFinal

Irwin Allen's Time Tunnel 1966

1991 remake of Dark Shadows on NBC

2005's Invasion on ABC

- - - - - - -
I am not a fan. I just happen to enjoy movies. Fans are embarrassing.

Voyagers! (1982)

Late To The Party

I'm late to the party, but better late than never. Favorite shows that didn't last more than a season: Mr. Lucky, Frontier Circus, G.E. True, I'm Dickens, He's Fenster, The Everglades, The Gallant Men, Ripcord, East Side, West Side, The Rogues, The Trials Of O'Brien, Hawk (1966 Burt Reynolds series filmed in NYC, lasted about half a season), and from much later, James At 15/16, which I believed ran for just one full season, changed its title in mid-season when James had a birthday. Excellent show, the brainchild of novelist Dan Wakefield.

Re: Late To The Party

James was one of those groundbreaking shows, like the longer-lived Family, that are almost completely forgotten today but which were instrumental in setting the tone for more 'adult' intelligent television drama content in the modern era.

Because the series has remained so hugely popular in syndication, people often forget that The Honeymooners lasted just one season as a stand-alone show (not counting the segments produced for the old Jackie Gleason variety show).

50 Is The New Cutoff Age.

The Honeymooners

Yes, Amyghost: The Honeymooners (1955-56 season) wasn't a success when it was first broadcast despite the skit itself being hugely popular on Jackie Gleason's variety show a few years earlier. One curious thing about that show is that it was based on something already fondly remembered by TV viewers, thus the syndicated hit it became was based on some kind of (what to call it?...) collective memory, which in turn became part of a much larger collective memory, which then, the mid-60s went on to become an hour long musical show in color that also enjoyed great success at the time, seems nearly forgotten now. The Honeymooners "canonical" season is that one from 1955-56 despite its having been around much earlier, then again, revived much later. I can't resist a comment that much of the appeal of the show seemed to be (less so now, I would imagine) its capturing of a great Depression era mood, putting it on film, with an astonishing exactitude, serving it up to the viewer in the form of comedy, romance and more than a touch of nostalgia that retains its charm even today.

Re: The Honeymooners

That wonderfully bleak set, with the awful kitchen, and the never-seen bedroom. Norton must have been far more affluent as a sewer worker, since the occasions when he and Trixie's apartment were shown, they certainly appeared to live in far less dire circumstances than the Kramdens .

Interesting how the series had already been a popular audience favorite via The Jackie Gleason show, but failed to win over that same audience as a stand-alone. The only other two series I can think of which were spun off from skits on pre-existing variety shows are The Simpsons and the syndicated Mama's Family, both of which have enjoyed great success and gone on to far outlive their parent productions (The Tracy Ullman Show and The Carol Burnett Show, respectively). That could be a topic for a thread in itself: series which were spun off from skits on variety shows. Can anyone think of any others?

50 Is The New Cutoff Age.

Brimstone

I didn't see much of it, I can't even find on Youtube, but Cupid with Jeremy Piven was really good from what I saw. It gets a 7.8 overall rating. It would be somewhat dark for most of the show and then resolve well. To me, Jeremy Piven gave it a sort of Bruce Wills from Moonlighting feel.

The Prisoner from the 1960s is must viewing, though it was pushed to being 17 episodes by TV executives, so could have made an even better mini-series.

I didn't know The Jetsons or The Honeymooners were only one season, that is surprising.

Firefly was amazing, it took me a few episodes to warm up to, as I watched it after Battle Star Galactica, which is one my favorites and darker, but it and Serendipity are Sci-Fi classics. Mentioning BSG does make me note that I wish Caprica could of had another season.

Rome was really good, and even though 2 seasons, I wish HBO had given them more time and not rushed to put it all into 2nd season.