Sherlock : How would you like to see Sherlock continue?

How would you like to see Sherlock continue?

While everyone involved has expressed excitement and optimism that Sherlock will return at some point and in some way, we can be certain that wont be for a long while. So, when Sherlock does come back, what would you like to see?

Series 5: A three episode return like we've seen in the past.

Another special: This could be anything from another period piece, to a stand alone episode, to a holiday special.

A spinoff: While fans have been touting the unimaginable notion of a Mrs. Hudson spinoff, I think there are characters in the show who do have the potential to carry an episode or two on their own, or with the rest of the Sherlock cast as support.

Something new: Honestly, there are a lot of other directions that Sherlock could take. Remember, limited-run shows have drastically changed their format in the past, liek Luther has done twice now.

While I'd personally like to see a full series 5, I definitely hope the show takes a new direction. The show's best episodes, in my opinion, are the ones where Sherlock solves a self-contained with an interesting villain. Where the show falters is when it starts becoming political or transforming itself into some sort of espionage-spy thriller.

Re: How would you like to see Sherlock continue?

Wait people actually want a mrs Hudson spin off....why? What would it honestly be about.

The best thing would probably be the odd holiday speacial. Abominable bride was great up until they tried to fit it in with the modern show. They should just do a few one off speacials of them solving proper cases it's been ages since we've seen Sherlock Holmes actually act like Sherlock Holmes

How would I like it to continue? I would like that very much.

Okay, that's not what you meant. Here are my thoughts:

Series 5, 3-episode set: Yes, that would be great.

Standalone special: Again, great idea. Add the special theatrical event like they did for TAB. Perhaps they could do one of these every few years.

Spinoff: No way, Jose. The supporting characters are just that, supporting. They were not designed to go off into the world without Sherlock and Watson in the spotlight nearby.

Something new: As long as they feature the same main characters in the same setting, that might be interesting, but it's a bit more risky proposition.

I would like to see a series/season 5 with the three-episode format. I also wouldn't mind a standalone special. I think another period piece (that does not connect to the modern world or the modern Sherlock) would be fun, but I would enjoy anything. No spin-off please.

I like to see it's not continued.
Don't like my dreams crashed with uninteresting plots.....

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I would definitely want them to return to the types of episodes of the last 3 series. If they had run with the events of His Last Vow" (Sherlock getting pardoned after killing Magnussen, finding out that Mary is a hitter, realising that John and Mary's marriage is not happy and bringing in Mycroft to the plot more...among other things), then I think it would retain it's greatness.

I'd still want Mary gone (as she is in the books) and also the baby (is it really John's, for example?). I agree with avoiding the James Bond/Bourne-style plots, though I love the Bourne films. That isn't Sherlock. Remember how he said that London was "his place"? I agree. So no jetting off to Russia, Tunisia and so on, except to give some guy in Belarus a grammar lesson! ;P

Not bringing Moriarty back for real was a huge mistake! Bringing Mrs Hudson into more of the plots would be fine but not a spin-off. Same thing for Lestrade. He could carry a series, especially as played by Rupert Graves, but it would be too much like all the other cop shows out there, I think.

I seem to be in the minority about TAB--in my opinion, it was mostly awful. It was too self-referring, with those little in-jokes (Mrs H: "I'm not a plot device!"....*groan*!). And ultimately, they're not satisfying.

They should go back to the original formula--it wasn't broke, so why "fix" it?

-Those we should know elude us. But we can...love without complete understanding.

Post deleted

I get what you mean about the artist not wanting to keep writing (or painting) the same thing over and over. But still, most great artists have a recognizable style. For instance, you know it when you hear Mozart, whether he wrote it at age six or thirty-six; it's different but abides by certain stylistic and aesthetic "rules". The same thing for filmmakers. Scorsese, for example, strays into all sorts of "worlds", from 1980's New Jersey to 1870's New York...but there are still the same sensibilities, the same attitudes toward power, lust, ambition and violence.

What I felt lacking in this most recent series was the "voice" of the previous Sherlock series. It was like watching a different show entirely. Even Sherlock's behavior had become manic, melodramatic and off-kilter (more so than ever before). They experimented and, in my opinion, failed for the most part. It reminds me so much of the decline and fall of "The X-Files"!

but I realized that I also don't want to see the same formulaic period piece of yesterday. Obviously, different people don't share the same feeling. And that's fine.

I agree, but I also don't want something that I really like and enjoy, stylistically, to swerve violently off the rails and become something else.

-Those we should know elude us. But we can...love without complete understanding.

Post deleted

I get that feeling as well. I can understand it as a writer myself; sticking to the same subject or even the same "formula" can get boring, especially if it you start feeling like it's run its course. That could be how Moffat feels, which is too bad! He and Gatiss created something really unique and compelling--remember how it felt, watching those first three episodes in 2010, especially ASiP and TGG? It was a rush!

I agree also that he has taken it into more of a relationship-based drama. I wouldn't know about DW (tried it many times but it never clicked for me)...but yes, that's how Sherlock is now

Like you, I'd rather have some Sherlock than none. I just hope things don't get any sillier than a secret sibling imprisoned on an island behind imaginary glass who can control people's minds! I just started watching "Stranger Things" and the psychic girl reminded me of Euros--not good!

Post deleted

It actually reminds me of The X-Files in that way. Mulder and Scully started out actually solving cases. By the end of the show, Mulder was getting all his info from the dead spirits of his sister and the Lone Gunmen :-).

True! I was thinking about our intrepid FBI agents while writing about this. That was a once-great show that devolved, especially after Duchovny left and people were all hung up on either the Monster of the Week, Scully's alien baby or whatever it was that Doggett and Reyes had going on (I never got the appeal of those two). As you said, the more it strayed into the supernatural and flogging the alien theme, the worse it got. I missed the older, government conspiracy themes, which could be tapped into for plots even now...especially now!

I was kind of hoping that "Sherlock" would go there, what with Mycroft being "the British government" and suddenly opening up and. Instead, we get a long lost sibling who's a real camera hog and a soft-pedaled version of that hokey film, "The Rock"! They should have sent Sean Connery after Eurus!

I would like to see it continue, with either another 3 episode set down the line, or one off specials here and there.

No real clamoring for a spin off. Moffat and Gatiss had joked at one point about how Lestrade actually could have been the lead character in his own show (typical police procedural) But I think the heart and soul of the show is really Sherlock and John and their adventures.

And as far as the direction the show might take, now that they've completed Moriarty's arc and brought Eurus out of the shadows, I think stand-alone episodes without a looming big-bad would be the way to go. Fine if they want to have little threads about life at 221b or the Holmes siblings and other characters continuing throughout the episodes, but self-contained mysteries would work better at this point.

Also, I would love it if the mysteries were smaller scale crime/interpersonal type things, as opposed to international espionage/fate of England and the free world scale cases.

Have a lovely day - John Finnemore

Not at all.

It needs to continue as Sherlock Holmes solves crimes stories without every single thing being Moriarty or a long lost relative or a woman from the past or something that has to "tie in". It's almost getting as bad as Scandal on ABC.

As far as how often...maybe just a few episodes a year or a Sherlock special once a year.

It needs to continue as Sherlock Holmes solves crimes stories without every single thing being Moriarty or a long lost relative or a woman from the past or something that has to "tie in".
THIS.

All this bvllsh!t about the show having to evolve is not an excuse for poor writing and it certainly doesn't necessitate abandoning what Sherlock Holmes is supposed to be about.

All shows evolve over time without needing to make every single episode into a family melodrama!

The character development and progression should occur naturally in the background.
GoT does this well. It plays the long game by gradually building each season carefully to a satisfying climax while also developing each of the many characters in it's cast.

Maybe they could wedge in some 5 minute shorts like Doctor Who does from time to time. They could branch out to some of the "alternative" Sherlock Holmes items out there. I remember a great Gahan Wilson cartoon with Watson wearing a lobster bib and exclaiming "Good Lord, Holmes! How did you come to know I'd seafood for lunch?" (and Sherlock with a "what a moron" sneer). I think they could expand something like that to a 5 minute short :-).

Sherlock 2049: Sherlock goes into suspended animation to be awoken some thirty years later by Mycroft Chen-Holmes III, his Afrasian-English grand-niece and Watz-N, the A/.I interface powered by his best friend's brain, housed in the body of a talking robot dog. He has been awoken to fight the Moriarty wars, a series of clones left behind by his greatest nemesis.

Or....just leave it as it is, actually. I'm fine with it ending right here.

I give f*@k zero. It's like giving no f*@ks, only without the calories.

I would not.

Sherlock has had two good seasons (1 & 2), and two suck seasons (3 & 4).

Time to stop now--it's at even money. Walk away from the table before you embarrass yourself any further.

"I was cured all right!"