Sherlock : Things I learned from Series 4 (spoilers)

Things I learned from Series 4 (spoilers)

1. International spies should always carry memory sticks with all their top secret information on them, as well as that of all of their associates. You know, put all your eggs in one place where you can keep them super safe.

2. Sherlock Holmes + drugs = face-blindness.

3. Etsy items recently favorited by Mycroft Holmes: Katanagunbrella

4. Windex: The Best Solution to the Final Problem! "Glass? What glass?"

5. Turns out Mycroft is the dumb one. Who knew.

6. The higher your IQ is, the more likely you are to spontaneously develop "hypnosis face".

7. Children definitely never drown in wells. Don't look there first or anything.

8. John Watson has enough upper body strength to cleanly sever his shackled feet as he pulls himself up a rope.

9. If you think you're about to die, make moar vids. None for your newborn baby though.

10. Mary ships it.

11. Having a baby isn't really that big a deal.

12. Toby Jones is incredibly talented and also the ugliest man on the entire planet world. But super talented though.

13. Eurus + Moriarty = ... some sort of sexy snake dance?

14. Eurus really enjoyed the Portal franchise. And the Saw franchise. And, uh... what was the one that takes place on Shutter Island?

15. Turns out imprisoning problem children for like 30 years doesn't actually fix them. I'm as surprised as you are.

16. Drink moar tea, Molly.

17. Mycroft is... straight? Ha. Ha ha. Hahahahahahahahahaha.

18. Sherlock Holmes doesn't know how planes work.

19. Eurus personally made every Moriarty gifset on the entire internet.

20. Lestrade < Molly < Mycroft < John < Sherlock < Eurus < Chuck Norris < Mrs. Effing Hudson. That Aston Martin though.

What did you learn from series four?

Re: Things I learned from Series 4 (spoilers)

I love this.. :)

Oh My GOD!no.4.5.9.10.11&17

The Game is off.....

21. If you simple plan to blow up your siblings against all odds fail, always have an insanely elaborate scheme ready! Just in case,

22. Good thing the British Government invested in grenades that can't kill three people inside a small apartment living room. The Queen's country is safe thanks to you, taxpaying English citizen!

23. Doctors can't immediately identify human bones when they see them.

24. Apparently it's possible to be so traumatized that you erase your sister from your memory and somehow turn your best friend into a dog, for whatever reason.

Lol didn't even notice that John didn't realize they were human bones until he found the skull. Lollllll

25. You can cure your allergy to dog. So Sherlock is OK with dogs now as shown in The Six Thatchers.

26. Jumping from a two-storey flat won't cause any injuries.

I love inside jokes... (Michael Scott)

To be fair he was at the bottom of a well at night. He didn't even see the walls without touching them.

If I never meet you in this life, let me feel the lack

Best post on imdb I am likely to see all day...

27. Steven Moffat really, really needs to take a long sabbatical going by the rapidly declining fortunes/quality of both Sherlock and Doctor Who.

(Yes, I know he's quit 'Who btw)

3. Etsy items recently favorited by Mycroft Holmes: Katanagunbrella

He's the head of a spy agency, it's not unfathomable he would have something Luke that.

7. Children definitely never drown in wells. Don't look there first or anything.

The well was old and somehow hidden. Otherwise Sherlock would have found John as soon as he said he was in a well.

9. If you think you're about to die, make moar vids. None for your newborn baby though.

She probably did make some for her, but the baby's not old enough to see them yet.

18. Sherlock Holmes doesn't know how planes work.

Why would he know how to pilot an aircraft? That's not exactly his area of expertise.

Lol. You don't really get the point of this exercise, do you?

But sure, let's do it your way.

"He's the head of a spy agency, it's not unfathomable he would have something Luke that."

Never said it was unfathomable. Just thought it was funny because, you know, it was meant to be funny? Obviously? If anything, I really Luked the Katanagunbrella.

"The well was old and somehow hidden. Otherwise Sherlock would have found John as soon as he said he was in a well."

If there's one thing we learned this season, it's that Sherlock isn't the only genius in his family. Little kid drowns somewhere nearby, I guarantee you that genius mom and genius big brother and maybe even regular old dad are gonna guess there might be a well somewhere.

"She probably did make some for her, but the baby's not old enough to see them yet."

Notice how you are having to write the show yourself in order to fill in gaps left by crappy writing? Okay, let's say you're right, she made a few vids for her newborn baby... but never mentions her in the videos to John or Sherlock? Come on.

"Why would he know how to pilot an aircraft? That's not exactly his area of expertise."

Everything is Sherlock Holmes' area of expertise. That's kind of the point of him. But for realsies though, unmanned plane still in the air and reasonably still on route after "hours and hours"? Is this the new Plane by Google? For realsingtons? Honestly, the whole little-girl-on-the-plane-jk-it's-just-Eurus thing was a bit craptastic. The first five minutes of the The Final Problem aren't a case or a mystery - they're not even the "final problem"; none of it happened, none of it was real at all. And what's with the metaphor? She's flying higher than everyone, all alone? Then why were there people on the plane at all? What was the necessity of them being there but dead, particularly when we know that she puts no value whatsoever on human life?

To reiterate, the point of this topic was to be amusing, not seriously critical, but looks like that kinda went over your head. I was going to say that I actually really like the new season, even with little plot holes here and there and a lot of suspending my disbelief, but now that you've made me think so hard about it, I kind of don't any more. So... thanks?

I actually agreed with most of what you said, the writing was pretty... odd. The whole "The plane is not real" was maddening. I'm also on the same boat that I really liked the episode at first, but the more I think about it the more I find myself shaking my head. I was just nitpicking some of your nitpicks.

"Okay, let's say you're right, she made a few vids for her newborn baby... but never mentions her in the videos to John or Sherlock? Come on."
She never mentioned her other videos either. She somehow can posthumously deliver these videos, that to me is weirder.

"Everything is Sherlock Holmes' area of expertise. That's kind of the point of him."

No it isn't. Sherlock remains ignorant in any subjects that he considers irrelevant to his line of work. His extremely focused specializations allow him to become the best of what he wants to be- in his case, a detective. But the fact that he is very specialized means that while he knows everything his field of choice demands of him, he knows next to nothing about topics that may come up in his cases.

This is why he needs Doctor Watson. This is why he needs Lestrade. Why he needs his brother, Mycroft, and his other sources of information. He needs their more well rounded output, because despite how good he is on cases, without their help he would have difficulty. At least this is how he is classically depicted. In the novel "A Study in Scarlet" Sherlock admits he has virtually no knowledge of astronomy. He tells Watson that the movement of the planets, and even their names, aren't of any assistance to him in the solving of crime, which is his only passion. He feels that any astronomical information he retains would be taking up room in the finite recesses of his brain, therefore he discards it.

Agreed.

You're right, not everything is Sherlock's area of expertise, I was wrong there. Just, ya know, his expertise is significantly broader than most people's. I guess my point with the plane thing was that it seems like common knowledge that, even with our new-fangled autopilot technology, the thing can't keep itself in the air and on course to London with no one piloting it for like... a lot of hours. Plus, he and Mycroft discussed teaching the girl how to land the plane in the water, so I assumed one or both of them knew how to do it.

And just to clarify, I loved the crap out of those last two episodes. The first one was kind of disappointing to me, which was surprising because all I really wanted was for Mary to die, and somehow she did that and I still didn't like it? I dunno. But the last two episodes were awesome - even the nonsensical bits, I was riveted and had a fantastic time watching.

But yeah, posthumously delivering vids? And on a timer no less, so they come at precisely the right moment (ey-yo). And the girl-who-isn't-really-on-the-plane thing only really bothered me because essentially the hook at the very beginning is not something anyone could ever guess at because it didn't actually happen at all. I dunno, I guess I felt kinda lied to, ya know?

But still, overall, it was highly watchable television for me, so well done Moftiss.

To be honest, Sherlock is really emotionally messed up. Why would he recognize a sister he hasn't seen since he was a child and in fact, has subconsciously blocked?

John is in a well, at night. Despite what you see on TV, there is no lighting in a well, at night. He couldn't even tell where he was or what the walls were like. He had to touch the walls. He can pick up bones, but he can't see them very well. He does know what a skull feels like though.

Children fall in wells all the time. Why? Because people have forgotten that they are there. Most of the time, the wells get covered up, then forgotten. Kids discover them while playing, uncover them and trouble invariably ensues.

I didn't think John pulled himself out, I think he pulled himself up to keep from drowning until they could get to him.

You don't cure sociopaths. There is no 'fixing' them. Murderous sociopaths need to be locked up forever. I don't care how old they are.

Yes, the world of Sherlock likes stick drives. One guy in The Great Game even carried the Bruce Partington missile defense plans on a stick around his neck. Even John though that was stupid.

"Can you keep a secret? Can you know something and never speak of it again?"

Love the defensiveness. This is just for fun, buddy. I didn't say the show was *beep* I'm just pointing out some obvious little bits of silliness. But if you reeeeeeally wanna do this...

"To be honest, Sherlock is really emotionally messed up. Why would he recognize a sister he hasn't seen since he was a child and in fact, has subconsciously blocked?"

Yeah, that's not the bit I was talking about. Stoned Sherlock can't tell Eurus from Faith - even when he has a photo of her on hand, and then he can't tell Eurus pretending to be Faith from Eurus pretending to be John's psychiatrist. Seems like most people identified that it was the same actress immediately. So Sherlock can deduce all kinds of crap from a piece of paper, can see the tiniest bits of debris on a person and determine worlds of information from it, but can't tell when he's looking at the same woman wearing two different wigs? Yeah, pull the other one.

I'll give you the "Watson can't see in a well at night" thing. Still thought it was a little funny though.

"Children fall in wells all the time."

Yeah. I know. But you're not going to convince me that a family of geniuses who know a boy has drowned nearby aren't going to guess there might be a well somewhere, even if it's been "covered up, then forgotten". That's a crock, and I think you know it.

"I didn't think John pulled himself out, I think he pulled himself up to keep from drowning until they could get to him."

The fact that you have to make up in your head what happened at all is pretty bad. Particularly when all they had to do was show light overhead and get a close up of John sighing in relief. Didn't need a silly rope to come down at all, did we? But since it did, the least the writers could do is put in a bit of effort and not make me guess at how that helped him at all when his feet are chained to the bottom. One of the many examples this season of writers making you do work, but not the fun kind that actually matters.

"You don't cure sociopaths. There is no 'fixing' them. Murderous sociopaths need to be locked up forever. I don't care how old they are."

Yeah okay. I'm sure you would feel the same way if it was your kid. Oh wait, no you wouldn't, because you're tryhard defending some tv show that I'm just having a bit of lighthearted fun with. Calm down.

"Yes, the world of Sherlock likes stick drives. One guy in The Great Game even carried the Bruce Partington missile defense plans on a stick around his neck. Even John though that was stupid."

K. It's still really stupid and a pretty obvious example of lazy, self-indulgent, mildly craptastic writing.

All that being said, I very much enjoyed the recent season, and I've loved the whole series so far. Sherlock has always had inconsistencies, it's always been a little camp, and we've always had to suspend our disbelief to get through it. Nevertheless, I've always considered myself a big fan. This whole post is for the sake of amusement; I had no intention of crapping on the show. Well, not until you made me defend all my silly little observations. Kind of on you, then, isn't it?

Love the defensiveness. This is just for fun, buddy. I didn't say the show was *beep* I'm just pointing out some obvious little bits of silliness. But if you reeeeeeally wanna do this...

Yes, I know how this works, just giving you some hints that some things are logical and explainable and maybe some of your points are not very good ones.

"To be honest, Sherlock is really emotionally messed up. Why would he recognize a sister he hasn't seen since he was a child and in fact, has subconsciously blocked?"

Yeah, that's not the bit I was talking about. Stoned Sherlock can't tell Eurus from Faith - even when he has a photo of her on hand, and then he can't tell Eurus pretending to be Faith from Eurus pretending to be John's psychiatrist. Seems like most people identified that it was the same actress immediately. So Sherlock can deduce all kinds of crap from a piece of paper, can see the tiniest bits of debris on a person and determine worlds of information from it, but can't tell when he's looking at the same woman wearing two different wigs? Yeah, pull the other one.

You answered your own question. Sherlock was really stoned. He also doesn't always pay attention to someone just under his nose if he doesn't consider them important.

"Children fall in wells all the time."

Yeah. I know. But you're not going to convince me that a family of geniuses who know a boy has drowned nearby aren't going to guess there might be a well somewhere, even if it's been "covered up, then forgotten". That's a crock, and I think you know it.

How did they know he drowned? No one knew he drowned. They got the feeling he did from Eurus' singing, but is that enough to make a deduction on?

"I didn't think John pulled himself out, I think he pulled himself up to keep from drowning until they could get to him."

The fact that you have to make up in your head what happened at all is pretty bad.

Why? There are several possibilities. They could have thrown a rope down to John to hold himself up. They could have thrown a rope down to John because someone ELSE was coming down to him. Having several options for a scene isn't "bad" at all.

"You don't cure sociopaths. There is no 'fixing' them. Murderous sociopaths need to be locked up forever. I don't care how old they are."

Yeah okay. I'm sure you would feel the same way if it was your kid. Oh wait, no you wouldn't, because you're tryhard defending some tv show that I'm just having a bit of lighthearted fun with. Calm down.

Like you said, they are a family of geniuses. They know there is no fixing some people. Do you see them at the end demanding Eurus be 'helped'?

"Can you keep a secret? Can you know something and never speak of it again?"

Okay, delulluvia. Let's talk.

"Yes, I know how this works, just giving you some hints that some things are logical and explainable and maybe some of your points are not very good ones."

I realize that the dickishness of this comment is just fighting fire with fire because I got snarky with you. That's on me, and I'm sorry.

However, I'm going to repeat myself a bit here because you didn't seem to pick up on it the first time: I very, very much love BBC Sherlock - always have. Even their worst episodes are better than most other tv. I've been writing Sherlock fanfiction for years, not because I want to change or fix anything inherently wrong with the BBC canon, but because I love it and wish there were more of it.

However, yes, I got snarky with you, and that's because, honestly, you are my least favorite type of fan. Literally every single response in your above post is just contrary. None of them have any hard evidence supporting them whatsoever; in fact, half of your responses are just you asking your own rhetorical questions instead of answering mine. Just arguing for the sake of arguing, defending the show for the sake of defending the show, even though I am the least likely person from whom it would ever need defending.

I get it. You love the show. Of course, I get it, I love the show, too. But if this most recent season has shown us anything, it's that you can love something even knowing that it's imperfect or even bad. Moreover, things that one person (for example, I) might consider "bad" are to another person (for example, you) just misunderstood. And that's fine. At no point was I attempting to watch the show through your eyes, and at no point was I expecting you to watch it through mine.

This whole topic was meant to be silly fun, not to be taken seriously (read: you were very much not the target audience, no offense). I'm glad you have your opinions and that things that seemed silly and nonsensical to me are "logical and explainable" to you, through your own little head canon you've got going there. That's a good thing. That's how it should be. But I'm really, really, reeeeally not trying to prove anything with any of this. I'm just trying to give people a little laugh. That's all.

So... can we, you and I, maybe cool it?

Oh dear I think you've upset the fanboys

Big LOL at #10. So true!

What I learned from ep. 4.03:

28. Sherlock's parents are the worst parents on the planet.

29. Mycroft really enjoyed the "Fort Boyard" franchise. Even to the point of disguising as (a slightly younger version of) Père Fouras.

30. John and Mycroft have read "The Importance of Being Earnest" (by Oscar Wilde), but not "The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether" (by Edgar Allan Poe).

31. When a drone with a motion-detecting grenade enters your apartment, you don't run but instead stand still before the drone has landed and the grenade has been activated.

32. Mrs. Hudson enjoys the sound of Iron Maiden while vacuum-cleaning.

33. Jim Moriarty enjoys the sound of Freddie Mercury while vacuum-cleaning.

______

34. To erase the memory of a jumped-shark and maintain your fan base, resume wall shooting with a large calibre handgun.
All will be f̶o̶r̶g̶i̶v̶e̶n̶ ridiculed.

35. Having a lonely childhood means the audience should sympathize with you even though you're a murderous monster.

36. The show managed to avoid the problems I thought it WOULD have while making an episode that was worse than whatever I'd imagined for it.

Why Sherlock is Stupid and Dumb (SPOILERS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpSGZw1nmSM