Classic TV: The 00s : TVs condition after the 00s

TVs condition after the 00s

So, 10 years after the 90s, are we better off now or has the quality of television declined? We saw the rise of premium tv masterpieces, but also the overflow of reality tv. What say you?

Re: TVs condition after the 00s

I'd say it sucks big time now. I had to get extra channels to find quality television again, and the shows aren't even from this decade. Reality tv, has gotta go, or at least tone the f!ck down, because it's glorified television. Then there are shows that come off as if they're nothing but MTV junk, with their over the top bubblegum feel.

I watch quite a lot of shows on cable because I'm sick of reality tv shows. Some of these are shows that I'd either missed or were before my time and they are a damn sight better than a lot of the things they make now!
I don't watch a lot of tv,if any,apart from the odd clip on youtube on my computer as I prefer a big screen but if they come up with bigger monitors I think I'd be tempted.

the swoon factor: THAT voice!
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=KqrUnafoR30

you can watch youtube on TV through appleTV, and some smart bluray players, etc.... some of the TVs now... you can even port your laptop straight to the TV

I'd say it sucks big time now. I had to get extra channels to find quality television again, and the shows aren't even from this decade. Reality tv, has gotta go, or at least tone the f!ck down, because it's glorified television. Then there are shows that come off as if they're nothing but MTV junk, with their over the top bubblegum feel.

You forgot about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3_1JzZ4CeI

I'm not gonna write-off the new decade completely since TV is always gonna have a few gems as long as it exists, but this "reality TV" craze has gotten out of control. I don't mind "American Idol"-type shows though I don't watch them, but these MTV-type shows make me go YIKES!

"It's Bucket 'o Nothing! Surprise your friends, amaze your family, annoy perfect strangers!"

I agree with annoying. A good 10 years or 11 years ago I didn't think I would find myself in front of a computer going on youtube.com just to watch some of my favorite TV shows. TV has gotten ridiculous I hope the ratings go down on all the networks and maybe they will wake up and be like we need to change we losing our viewers. The only time I turn on my TV is when I want to watch a VHS movie or DVD. Or maybe if I want to watch some Nick at Nite reruns or Living Single rerun marathon on Oxygen channel other than that I don't really care no more about TV. I used to love the music networks like crazy MTV, VH1, and BET now they just disappoint me by playing the same damn TV shows and reality shows constantly no music at all just reality shows. VH1 is ok sometimes I like when they do stuff like "100 greatest hip hop songs" or "behind the music". I mostly watch the videos on youtube. All I can say is thank God for youtube.

hnh##

k,

I'm watching fewer and fewer entertainment programs, so I'd say the quality has declined.

TV has declined a lot in the 00s. I don't have cable yet so only have 5 channels to pick from - and rarely watch them. There's Outnumbered (which only has about nine episodes in a series), Have I Got News For You (once a week), Match Of The Day (twice a week) and Home And Away. Crimewatch once a month and when Paul Merton In.... starts a new series. And that's all.

I hate all reality shows as I see nothing in them entertaining at all and they are more about the judges (and what talent does Amanda Holden have anyway). Then there's the hidden camera garbage and You've Been Framed which shows about twelve clips all of which are identical as the rest and the same ones every week.

Welcome to prime time, bitch

I have to disagree here. Yes reality tv is really annoying and should die a horrible death, overall I would however say that the quality of the past decades dramas and comedies have been extremely high.

Just listing a few:
The Wire
Friday Night Lights
Life on Mars (UK)
The big bang theory
The Office (Both versions)
Arrested Development
How I Met Your Mother
Six Feet Under
The Sopranos
Battlestar Galactica
30 Rock
The Smoking Room(BBC)
Torchwood (BBC)
Skins(UK)
Extras(UK)
Dead Like Me
Everwood
Eli Stone
Glee
Gilmore Girls
Once and Again
Veronica Mars
Supernatural
White Collar
NCIS
CSI
Southland
Lost
Jeremiah
Modern Family

I'll say, quality wise, that's a strong list, and there are dozens of other shows I could add as well...

Also Breaking Bad. It's def. the best thing on TV right now.

Re: Snippie-I beg to disagree

Supernatural was never canceled.

Don't forget Fringe!! (watch it tonight at 9/8c)

One of the best series ever to grace network TV, although you probably need to watch it from the beginning to get a real grasp at it.

Sure, there are a lot of bad TV shows (MTV-like reality shows are embarrasing) but good TV shows are way better than they used to be. Quality TV shows from the past decade are as good (or even better) as cinema. You can't say TV is bad if you look at how good TV shows you can find in cable TV (Rome, Carnival, Battlestar Galactica, Dexter, the upcoming Game of Thrones). This is also true from the main networks (Lost, 24).

I can remember at time when I used to watch TV like crazy now I don't even care to watch TV at all. If I watch TV I'll watch re-runs there is just to many and I mean too many reality shows on TV nowadays. I don't mind watching some but every channel I turn to a reality show is on.

There's more crappy shows available but for the most part I'd strongly disagree with anyone who says the overall quality of TV is declining. It's exactly the opposite. Nearly every network that has original programming has at least ONE fantastic comedy/drama and dramas are now allowed to be more serialized than they used to be. Even on broadcast TV - FOX, ABC, NBC, etc I feel like more risks are being taken resulting in better programming than the early 00's

--

"Betty's voice brought darkness to the land." - Amanda Tanen

There are a lot of well written strong shows on tv. The major networks seem to have toned down the reality shows as well. There is still America Idol etc but the aren't airing them 5 days a week. Cable channels have forced the networks to compete with them, with shows like the Walking Dead, Game of the Thrones.

What the major networks failed to see in the early 00's was the amount of money available with a hit show. DVD/digital sales, merchandising etc. People don't buy seasons of American Idol, or rarely watch reruns. The walking dead and Game of thrones are events and bring in big dollars.

I think if anything the biggest decline has been in the specialty channels , History, Discovery and TLC. All used to have good programming that's now been reduced to reality shows.

Lots of education. In all I think it's a lot better and more real.
Food
History
Disc
ect.
Some pretty good stuff on cable
Gold rush
The Americans
The Voice
Revolution.