Classic TV: The 90s : What do you miss most about the 90's?

What do you miss most about the 90's?

There are several things I miss:

1. There was much more social interaction. Everyone has a smartphone these days and people are far more concerned about texting, playing games, and recording things than living live and talking to people.

2. The world wasn't so PC. Thanks to the liberals, I feel like I'm walking on eggshells trying not to offend anyone today. You can't even say "Merry Christmas" without being called intolerant/bigoted/or whatever term liberals use.

3. REAL toys that encouraged you to use your imagination and play outside.

4. Renting movies. Don't get me wrong, I love Netflix, but I do miss the experience of perusing the video rental store.

5. Music videos on MTV and VH1. The music videos back then were a big deal and weren't just put online and forgotten about the next day.

6. TV wasn't dominated with crappy reality shows. I suppose Cops and The Real World were considered reality shows, but I never heard the term until the 2000s. Unsolved Mysteries and America's Most Wanted were my idea of reality shows. Those were real stories and actually had a positive impact on the real world. Not this crap like Keeping Up with the Kardashians.

7. Like I mentioned in the other thread, there were a lot more wholesome shows in the 90's. Family sitcoms in particular seem to have suffered the most.

So what do YOU miss the most? You don't have to limit it to one thing.

Re: What do you miss most about the 90's?

The optimism and feeling that we were on the verge of solving the world's problems. The world was never a perfect place, but at least we weren't constantly bombarded with negative news stories telling us how awful everything is and spreading fear.

Well, I do a lot of film photography, and I miss being able to easily go into a shop and buy some film. Those lovely shelves with the lovely boxes of film were quite charming. These days I have to buy the film online, which is not charming at all.

Gameboy. Seriously, I have so many positive memories of the Gameboy. It was a "pure" handheld, that just played games and that was it. I like that.

The pop music. I actually prefer 1930s-1980s music over 1990s music, but I prefer 1990s pop music any day of the week over the awful autotuned pop music of today....

EDIT: I posted a thread and deleted it about the semi-revival of the anthology TV series genre in the 1990s ("Are You Afraid of the Dark" and others). I like anthologies.

Poof! There Goes Perspiration!

I love your list OP. I can agree with your list you pretty much mentioned everything I was thinking

I will say I miss the music and the music videos on BET, MTV, and VH1 24/7 or almost 24/7.

@Connect I miss seeing people take picture with regular cameras and I miss being able to buy the disposable cameras in stores took better pictures than the cell phones in my opinion. The other week when I was in Wal Mart I finally noticed they did away with the photo section they have this thing where you hook your phone to the USB cord and print your pictures off. I swear the technology is changing so fast. I'm all for a change but too much change isn't so great.

I remember the Gameboy era too me and my younger siblings each had one my brother had the black one, my sister I think had a red one, I think I had a green one. They were so 2 inches or so thick and I miss playing the games on them. I also miss the Sega days we had one of those too I loved playing Sonic, The Lion King, Aladdin, Earthworm Jim, and etc.

I miss the sitcoms days when reality TV didn't exist.

I miss the fashion from the 90s especially how women were creative with their looks and would often were baggy clothing.

The great alternative rock music of the early to mid 90's. Bands like REM, Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, Live, Pearl Jam, and Collective Soul. I know some of these bands are still around but IMO some of their best stuff came earlier in their careers.

There are certain things I miss about internet in the 90's. Not everyone was online and it was like a secret hideout for geeks. The presence of "trolls" in all internet activities these days makes me really miss the early days of the internet where such things were far more rare because that whole demographic didn't even exist. It also felt like an accomplishment when you made an "internet discovery" like mp3s, for example.

I miss the days where internet and cell phones were considered a luxury, not a necessity

It's ridiculous how I see kids walking home from school staring at their phones texting or facebooking, tweeting or snap chatting their buts off and almost get hit by cars

I'm surprised the schools even allow them to bring the phones on campus

When I was in high school (And JR High), we weren't even allowed to bring cd players or cassette walkmans because the school didn't want to be responsible for thefts. They even considered banning watches at one point citing there were clocks in the classroom

There are certain things I miss about internet in the 90's. Not everyone was online and it was like a secret hideout for geeks. The presence of "trolls" in all internet activities these days makes me really miss the early days of the internet where such things were far more rare because that whole demographic didn't even exist. It also felt like an accomplishment when you made an "internet discovery" like mp3s, for example.

So true, I hate how everyone and their momma have Facebook, I thought Facebook was something like Myspace something for us 35 to 18 maybe, I know I had my hideout places I would go on the internet like in chat rooms and in the early 00s there was sites like migente.com and blackplanet.com sites where it was parents free. I'm a big music person and I loved going to artists web page it seem like most artists don't have their own web page like they used to anymore it was fun to visit the message boards and talk about that particular artists and etc. I'm glad not to many know about IMDB, I don't hear many people talk about it...well people I know.

@Kitty I agree with you I hate how students is able to bring cell phones and other electronic items into school also. When I was going to school in the 90s, it was the same for us no music players or other electronics in class and the teachers would take them away from us and we wouldn't get it back until the end of the school year if they caught us.

Kitty I agree with you I hate how students is able to bring cell phones and other electronic items into school also. When I was going to school in the 90s, it was the same for us no music players or other electronics in class and the teachers would take them away from us and we wouldn't get it back until the end of the school year if they caught us.

It's ridiculous. Actress Alexis Fields (who played Charla on Kenan & Kel and Moesha's stuck up college roommate Alicia), she shared a video on her Instagram where she gave her 7 year old daughter an iPhone 6 case. She teased her before giving her the actual phone

But come on a 7 year old with her own cell phone? it's ridiculous how much today's world relies on technology

It's only a matter of time before Apple invents the iToilet

"Hey Siri, will you please wipe my butt?"

That is crazy, my sister is same way she claim she doesn't spoil her kids but she pretty much give the oldest whatever and he cuts up in class and want to clown around instead of paying attention in class. I know my sister gave him a phone and he had told me he had a phone and take it to school I'm sure she if he still has it, my nephew is 7 years old now. I swear sometimes I just want to go to these schools and be a spy to see what is going on in schools today. Its truly sad, lol on the Apple toilet I can see that happening people too lazy to wipe their own butts.

That is what I hate about dating life today I'm 33 and still single still trying to find a decent man but I try to meet guys over the internet on dating sites or on phone chats and then get them to meet in person its like they prefer living behind the computer or phone instead of going out there and meeting in person the old fashioned way. Then you have to send a dozen pictures to them before they decide to meet you like as if they were Tyra Banks and this is American Next Top Model or something.

That is what I hate about dating life today I'm 33 and still single still trying to find a decent man but I try to meet guys over the internet on dating sites or on phone chats and then get them to meet in person its like they prefer living behind the computer or phone instead of going out there and meeting in person the old fashioned way.

yep. that'll happen in today's world. We rely on technology so much

It's only a matter of time before I can get a flu shot via email

The bigger problem is that technology will one day replace most of our jobs.

Too much technology is exactly what Theodore Kaczinski's message was about. (unfortunately, he chose the wrong way to spread that message & everyone simply regards him as some crazy whacko named the Unabomber.) However, at the time he published his manifesto, quite a few very intelligent people went on record as saying "he's got a good point." And, intellectually, he certainly was no slouch himself.

Anyway... Let's see.... people who don't have to lift a finger to do any work...

Oh crap! The population of the Earth will be at least 10 billion by that point. Can you imagine 10 billion Paris Hilton types running around? Yikes! Quick! Pull the plugs!

My parents and most adults I knew were intimidated by computers back then. I remember when my dad first logged onto AOL, he thought he broke the computer because of that annoying sound it made. Someone also "hacked" my mom's account because she gave her password to a user who claimed to be an AOL employee (classic phishing scam).

Initially, AOL was a "walled garden" and you were limited to what their channels offered. In addition, you were charged by the hour and disconnected anytime someone called the house. So it was more of a hassle than a convenience.

You're so right, nowadays all I see is the top of my kids head, she can't hear cz damn ear buds are always in, I'm a stroke survivor, thank God I'm not dead, she's never hear me hit the floor. In the 90s the music was magical, real..nobody today comes close, and people didn't need websites to get dates. The internet is great 4 info, shopping, keeping in touch, but I believe kids today are getting jipped, go outside, meet real live people n dont invite pple you just met online and dont even know, to your home! Scary times.

1. Elementary school- I miss the kids, teachers, field trips, books, recess, etc, but I think I just miss the simplicity in the atmosphere most of all. The insides really hit home for me because the school was small and welcoming, and I live close to it. Every time I drive around it, I just wanna go back in after so many years, but unfortunately, the place closed down now.

2. Daycare- The biggest reminder of the tolerance I used to have of being around others. I was younger, less aware of my surroundings, and I just wanted to play. I was relieved when I left, but now I regret the feeling, knowing I was better at getting around.

3. Collectibles- I remember they had such high value to them, from the biggest and the smallest of items. The most popular kids possessions were Pogs, Giga Pets, Beanie Babies, Furbies, Pokemon cards, Yo-Yos, Hacky Sacks, Supersized pencils, water guns, video games, etc. They were all fun, and they really caught on at elementary school and daycare.

1. Elementary school- I miss the kids, teachers, field trips, books, recess, etc, but I think I just miss the simplicity in the atmosphere most of all. The insides really hit home for me because the school was small and welcoming, and I live close to it. Every time I drive around it, I just wanna go back in after so many years, but unfortunately, the place closed down now.

This sounds like me. I also miss my elementary school days terribly. I would honestly say it's the only school where I had the most fun and I was at my most happiest. I miss the awesome class parties, thanksgiving dinners, summer camps, computer class, my best friend, playing House and "M.A.S.H.", Christmas shows, and the fundraising Christmas catalogs ( I miss the one I had from 1st grade). 2nd grade was my most favorite one.
There are also times where I feel like visiting on the grounds where my old school used to be and see what the inside looks like right now. I can still remember what the classrooms would look like like it was just yesterday.

I also miss watching shows like America's Most Wanted, Rescue 911, and Unsolved Mysteries. I miss the Saturday morning cartoons and the anticipation you would feel when those Friday and Saturday nights would rolled in where there were TGIF and Snick House.

I miss the days when Christmas used to feel so special to me. I remember I would make up my own list on the things that I had wanted for Christmas. I remember when mom would bake cake around this time. In Jamaica, we called it "black cake" or "Christmas cake".

I actually miss the times when mom and I would shop for school supplies and school uniforms. I also miss shopping at stores like Waldenbooks, Kay Bee Toy stores, and McCorys.

I miss my old church and going to Sunday school.

You dodge a question like a character dodges a punch on Mortal Kombat.-IceJJFish

This sounds like me. I also miss my elementary school days terribly. I would honestly say it's the only school where I had the most fun and I was at my most happiest. I miss the awesome class parties, thanksgiving dinners, summer camps, computer class, my best friend, playing House and "M.A.S.H.", Christmas shows, and the fundraising Christmas catalogs ( I miss the one I had from 1st grade). 2nd grade was my most favorite one.
There are also times where I feel like visiting on the grounds where my old school used to be and see what the inside looks like right now. I can still remember what the classrooms would look like like it was just yesterday.

Cool. I'm glad to see some support for elementary school online. I went on facebook to see if anyone else felt the same way, but unfortunately, no one else seems to care. The "good old days" for them was High School, which for me, sucked more than anything. I'll take Kindergardern-3rd grade over grades 10-12 any day.

I went on facebook to see if anyone else felt the same way, but unfortunately, no one else seems to care. The "good old days" for them was High School, which for me, sucked more than anything. I'll take Kindergardern-3rd grade over grades 10-12 any day.

Oh my god!!! Same here! It seems like the people on my Facebook did find high school more enjoyable than I ever did. I do sometimes feel like I'm the only who dreaded high school and don't want anything to do with it. My high school is already planning this 10 yr class reunion this summer in which I'm very reluctant to go. I definitely choose Kindergarten-3rd grade over high school!!! It's really interesting how you chose those specific class grades tho because Kindergarten-3rd grade was when I enjoyed school the most and was at my happiest, especially when my best friend was around during those grades. My high school years were the WORST thing that had ever happened to me in my life. It brought out the worst in me and I came across the most despicable person I have ever met in my lifetime. I often wonder what my life would have turned out if I had never went to that particular school. That school was like a curse to me. Nothing ever went right for me when I was there. High school feels so overrated. At least with elementary school, it felt more homely and I didn't have to worry about ugly guys lusting after me.

You dodge a question like a character dodges a punch on Mortal Kombat.-IceJJFish

t seems like the people on my Facebook did find high school more enjoyable than I ever did. i definitely choose Kindergarten-3rd grade over high school!!

I's rather forget any school existed. LMAO

i got bullied in elementary and jr. high for being the weird kid

I had to attend a different jr. high for my 8th grade year due to the part of the city i lived in

the summer between 7th and 8th grade was when i started to gain weight to the point i was past 350 by high school graduation

And just when I expect those same bullies from grade 7 to bully me for being the fat kid, they're nice to me in high school because they wanted to copy off of me. I was in special education when I shouldn't have been

Farts are like children. I'm proud of mine and disgusted by yours.

got bullied in elementary and jr. high for being the weird kid

I know how you feel. I was once bullied in 3rd grade for no apparent reason and I wasn't so fond of my 3rd grade teacher either, but luckily I had my best friend by my side to sick with me thru the best and the worst of times.

I know how you feel. I was once bullied in 3rd grade for no apparent reason and I wasn't so fond of my 3rd grade teacher either, but luckily I had my best friend by my side to sick with me thru the best and the worst of times.

Haha. I had no friends. and I was primarily bullied at recess by kids in other grades in elementary. and it was bad in jr high

In my 2nd year of Jr. High, I got bullied by Matthew, who was an elementary school classmate

He sat next to me on the bus and woodshop class just to use me as a punching bag. I changed to the handicapped bus over him

I recently got even. I found his facebook. This idiot sets every status to public. Including the one where he gave out his new phone number. and the one where he was crying about his ex girlfriend

So I looked it up, he's on verizion. You can use email to send a text by entering (Phone number)@vzwpix.com

So, I troll-lololed him and he thought i was his ex. it was so hilarious

Farts are like children. I'm proud of mine and disgusted by yours.

I chose Kindergarden-third grade because I went through them in the 90s, and they were in fact the school years i'm most fond of too. The second half of my elementary school days(4-6) happened in the early 2000s, so I left them out. Although, I look back on them almost as vividly as the grades prior.

I guess childhood was just better for us than most, at least as far as school goes. Nobody ever really reminisces about pre- High School, unless they went to Junior High. As kids, people tend to favor outdoor activities, or pop culture over school, until they get older and get even more action in their later school years. They date, play sports, graduate, etc. They've had more freedom ever since then, and more to look back on, even if they didn't really like going at all. School from scratch doesn't really seem to sink in until later in life, after having settled down again.

The second half of my elementary school days(4-6) happened in the early 2000s, so I left them out. Although, I look back on them almost as vividly as the grades prior.

Oh ok. My entire elementary school years took place in the 90s, and I started junior high in the early 2000s.

4th grade was okay. Some of it was good and some of it was not so great.

The good: I had a nice, caring teacher. I met a really nice guy. He was the one that got me into giga pets. The teacher would do fun things with us like take us on nature walks and we had a fish aquarium in the classroom.

The Bad: The guy I had really liked didn't stick around very long. His parents split up and he had to move to Chicago with his mom. My best friend had went to a different school after 3rd grade so things weren't quite the same for me. I began to change in personality. Her leaving me didn't really had an effect on me because I had our other friend around, but other people had warned me not to stay friends with her, but I didnt listen and kept on the friendship being the naive person that I was. I later realized that my friendship with her was NOTHING like what I had with my best friend, but rather a poor man's version. My so called friend began to act weird in 5th grade and distanced herself away from me which ultimately led to ditching me for someone else.

Plus, I completely disliked the P.E. teachers in 4th grade. I wasn't having any fun in P.E. like before because they made us play games like kickball which I was never really good at. I didn't like the competitive nature of it where kids started to care more about winning and only picking the good players for their team. I was missing the times when I would be on the playground and on the swings and playing house with my friends. All of that ended in 4th grade.

5Th grade, I wasn't very fond of because I was a total loner but I had the nicest teacher there ever was.

6th grade was BY far the worst I had went thru and experienced at my first school. The three teachers I had were by far the meanest and were nothing but miserable old hags. Same thing with the P.E. teacher. 6th grade was the FINAL straw for me and the main reason why I left that school. I couldn't take any more of it and couldnt envision myself spending my 7th and 8th grade years there. I went to another private school after 6th grade.

Some others:

The sheer novelty of finding a special video game at a used game shop (I was into retro gaming before almost everyone else). Now it is all done via eBay, and there's nothing special about that.

Seeing boxes of 126 film and APS film for sale (both discontinued...126 was discontinued in 1999, APS was discontinued a few years ago).

The relative lack of terrorism (OK, there were some terrorist attacks during the 1990s, but they were freak occurrences back then).

The film industry produced less sequels during the 1990s.

My youth.

Definitely agree about reality TV.
Don't really agree about PC.
Both of these were around in the 90s too although reality TV was much less prevalent than it is now.
The decline of racism/homophobia is a good thing though and it was declining in the 90s too.

The world wasn't so PC. Thanks to the liberals, I feel like I'm walking on eggshells trying not to offend anyone today. You can't even say "Merry Christmas" without being called intolerant/bigoted/or whatever term liberals use.
Actually I think this problem started in the 90s. We had Tony Blair and the Spice Girls, and laughed at old values.

Funnily enough the minorities never asked us to change... it was white atheists or agnostics who led the de-Christianisation of British culture.

The music ..pearl jam, soundgarden, nirvana AIC, temple of the dog, faith no more..great white, snoop and Dre, tupac, Michael and Janet. Old Gwen Stefani, she sucks now. Candle box, George Michael. I miss having $. Working night clubs, I miss my size 5 dancers body, I loved Vegas night life..of i could find a magic lamp, I'd go back, and never would have married my daughter's father.

Michael Jackson was still alive back then.

and can't forget Prince too.

Not to mention David Bowie (though he's more 1970s/1980s than 1990s. I bet many people still listened to him in the 1990s, though).

Have you played Atari today?

I liked the general obscurity of the early internet. No social networking in those days. Webpages were simple, low-budget, virtually homemade.

Here is a rare surviving website from those early days, if you want to see what I mean (I know from memory that the URL has changed, though):
http://www.computercloset.org/

The Space Jam website hasn't changed at all since '96. :p

http://www.warnerbros.com/archive/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

Being a little kid.

1. MY CHILDHOOD AND INNOCENCE ABOUT THE WORLD!
This was a golden feeling and will probably never come back.

2. All the amazing films, Tv Series, animes, toys, etc that I grew up with.
Also the feeling that the 90s, as decades before them, had a special charisma about all things entertainment that you very rarely see anymore. For example, watch Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park followed by their latest sequels and you'll get what I mean instantly!

3. I was a kid in the 90s, but whenever I look back, people seemed more authentic and relaxed, rather than living connected to our freaking phones and social networks all day and now even ... waking around catching Pokemon! Hello? Is the real world not enough for some?

1. The lack of sequels and remakes. When they did make sequels, they retained the charm of the original movie and didn't change the cast completely... Home Alone 2, Homeward Bound 2, My Girl 2, Free Willy 2, Beethoven's 2nd, Addams Family Values, Scream 2, etc.

2. Classic 2D animation. 3D animated films have always seemed soulless to me.

3. Great live action kid films like The Sandlot. You don't see many films centered around regular, everyday kids these days.

3. TV blocks -- TGIF, SNICK, TNBC, One Saturday Morning, Fox Kids, and Kids' WB. There was always something to look forward to every week.

4. Early Disney Channel Original Movies. Brink, Smart House, Johnny Tsunami, Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century, Susie Q, etc. They started to go downhill in 2001.

5. The female singer-songwriters of the 90's. Alanis Morisette, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Paula Cole, Sarah McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, Jewel, Lisa Loeb, Natalie Merchant, Tracy Chapman, Joan Osbourne, and Melissa Etheridge. They seemed more authentic and didn't try to sell sex.

6. The lack of technology. No smartphones, limited internet access, and computers were relatively esoteric.

I miss being 20 years younger and having hair on my head.

- Crazy. All crazy but I'm.

The thing I miss the most is that back then everything was not readily available. OP mentioned that music videos on MTV where a thing back then and I agree. But there was no YouTube so if you wanted to see that special music video that everyone at school was talking about, you had to watch MTV for hours and hope they would show it!
Nowadays EVERYTHING is available online with a snap of your fingers, ready to view, listen or buy. Music, movies, games, food, clothing, porn; you name it. In the 90's I had to save money to go and buy the latest Beastie Boys album and when I finally got it, I played the album over and over. Nowadays when there is a new album out, you search it in Spotify and bam: it's there.
There is no saving money, no trip to the record store, no you just have it instantly. It concerns me that the new generation will grow up without waiting for things, but expecting everything to be on demand.

The cars looked nicer than todays cars. Ugh. Today's cars with their bulky raised rear ends and their aggressive grills at the front....ugh.

My front teeth (I lost them in the 2000s).

Windows 95. We (me, my sisters, my parents) had a Packard Bell with Navigator. People mock it now, but for a kid like me it was cool.

There was a show on the morning television on weekends which showed music videos. I forget the name (anyone on here live in Melbourne, Australia in the late-1990s? I believe it was called "Video Hits", but I might be wrong). If I recall correctly, for the number 1 hit they showed the complete video (meaning one got to see the bits before and after the song played).

JNCO Jeans. They looked ridiculous, but they were comfortable and obviated the need for backpacks. You could literally fit textbooks in those pockets.

MTV as it used to be

This is off-topic, but I have too many threads going as it is, but let's make a comparison.

$499 1997 digital camera, Vivitar ViviCam 3000:
http://imgur.com/a/7d5rZ

$20 1991 35mm film camera, Vivitar ECO35H:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/79157069@N03/30542973876/

Now, admittedly, the film camera is not up to the standards of a modern digital camera. Hell, it isn't even up to the standards of some phones these days. But I do feel it is better than the 1990s digital camera which cost so much more.

One note: The digital photo is from 1997 or so. I don't know who took it. The film photo was taken this year, by me.

I just thought it'd be interesting to make the comparison.

BTW, in the mood for some 1990s websites?
https://web.archive.org/web/19961026164733/http://www.sony.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/19961225003653/http://www.jazz.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/19961222145127/http://www.nintendo.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/19961219232819/http://www.sega.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/19961228091502/http://www.internet.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/19980112121417/http://vivitar.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/19971013030840/http://www.chevrolet.com/