The Walking Dead : Are the trolls to blame?

Are the trolls to blame?

We need a reasoned and calm discussion of this. It is no use just pointing the finger and cursing. Please make your arguments in a coherent and polite way. I am completely neutral in this matter, so I am willing to be the moderator. If we establish that the trolls are to blame, we shall ask them to leave this site in.two weeks? If, on the other hand, it turns out they are completely innocent, we should apologize to them and ask them to stay for.two weeks?

Re: Are the trolls to blame?

LOL. No, seriously..I have no argument. It's never JUST one reason. IMDB shutting down the Boards is IMO partially the moderators not being able to keep up with the threads, the trolls giving them too much to contend with, and in some way losing money for them or whomever.

Nevertheless, I see it as IMDB's throwing the baby out with the bath water.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within." W. Durant

A cogent and incisive statement. As one of the babies that faces imminent throwing out, I feel we should band together: hold on to the bathtub, perhaps.

Surely, you can't be serious.

Several posters posted something they found on the site here regarding cost/benefit analysis pointing IMDb towards removing the boards.

I saw this on the Westworld board it sounds like it could be a contributory factor, but my guess is that theories involving many reasons are more correct:

I have heard the WW board was the tipping point for Amazon. WW was to be HBO's gem, their long term money maker, therefore, Amazon's money maker. But there was so much negative feedback on the WW board, Amazon finally decided to factor the negativity into future losses on VOD rentals. In addition, WW just started, it may have many seasons to play out. Therefore, HBO and Amazon (IMDB) decided it was a good idea to shut down the boards, nip it in the bud, shut down the opposing opinion, and hedge future earnings on future seasons.

Think about it, if you spent a fortune on a website that directly promotes your product, would you really want an open forum on said website that denigrated your sometimes inferior product? It's amazing they didn't think of doing this sooner.

_______
Apparently, stupid people don't know they're stupid.

Excellent analysis! The trolls are clearly the victims here, not the culprits.

Newspapers are also struggling with the value-added of their online comments section where they are a pain to monitor and add little value to their site, in the end.

That sounds as if the trolls are to blame, in a circuitous way. They add to administrative costs, while simultaneously destroying syntax with every post!

In general, I would say: maybe.

For everyone of you and me there are probably 5 or 10 who left the first time they got harassed, or ignored for asking 'who will Negan kill'. That's not a great overall user experience, from the company's perspective.

The anonymity, while hilarious and fun, allows for bad behaviour from our more extreme brethrenThe only real policing done here is by ourselves, and that's half-assed.

Hmmm. I feel the first stirrings of remorse.

O Corwin, speak no more:
Thou turn'st mine eyes into my very soul;
And there I see such black and grained spots
As will not leave their tinct.

You shouldn't feel remorse! You are not Mange (I think), nor are you the company that set up this situation. If the boards had been a bit more closely monitored on the hate speech and bullying stuff then I suspect that the overall customer experience would have been better and the company more reluctant to kill it.

there have always been trolls. i think the problem is that we are getting more sensitive to trolling over the years. where people used to just put trolls on ignore, now they are crying to the mods.

So it's the whiners who are to blame! If they just manned up a bit, we'd be fine.

That might not be too far off. Col mentioned in one of his posts that people often complained about the trolls. Many of the so-called trolls the whiners complained about probably weren't even trolls. Some people just can't handle seeing a few off-topic threads.

yup, exactly. it's easier to make something a "no space" than a "safe space"

I hope so

First, we'd all have to agree on what a "troll" is, and that's probably impossible, since some people are under the impression that anyone who posts off-topic threads is a troll. Not only do I disagree with that assumption, but if you look at the options to report a post, there is no, "This poster is posting off-topic threads" option; therefore, off-topic threads do not violate any rules.

However, most boards I've read are 99% on topic, and most people are cordial to each other. So, based on my experience, I would conclude that the number of "trolls" is probably very small compared to the non-troublemakers. I don't believe the trolls made a significant impact to most boards - at least not enough for the people "at the top" at IMDb to want to just get rid of the entire message board system. If trolls were the cause, IMDb could just hire moderators. Many people would moderate the boards voluntarily, so IMDb wouldn't have to spend any money paying the mods. So there is no excuse not to just hire mods if trolls are truly to blame.

People are frustrated and angry, so they want someone to blame. That's why some of them are coming here and blaming the posters, but I'm positive that the small number of off-topic posters here were not the cause of the decision to destroy message boards that have been here almost 20 years.

Col Needham (IMDb's founder/CEO) basically said in one of his posts that since most people who visit the site don't go to the boards, it's not worth upgrading the message board system. (He tried to blame the trolls for this, by saying that a lot of people stopped going to boards because of the trolls. But most boards I've read don't seem to have many trolls, so I don't see how there could be enough trolls to cause much of a decline in traffic to the boards. Also, if there are really that many trolls, wouldn't traffic increase? Or are we to assume that a small number of trolls ruined several message boards?)

He also said something about there not being enough users who click the ads on the message boards. I think that's partly their fault, for allowing so many annoying and invasive ads on the site. If they didn't have ads like that on the site, maybe more people wouldn't have used ad-blocking programs when visiting the site.

It seems like each user on this site is just a dollar sign to IMDb, and since they're not making enough money from the boards, they're closing them. In other words, they care more about money than they do about people.

There are also theories that they're worried about lawsuits, but I don't think that has anything to do with the "trolls." For instance, if a troll urged another poster to kill him/herself and the person actually followed through, I don't see how IMDb would be held accountable. (I could be wrong. But if they could be held accountable and they're worried about that, I think they would've closed the boards a long time ago.) It's possible that the creators and/or cast members of various TV shows and movies have threatened lawsuits because they didn't like the negative posts they saw about them on the boards.

Whatever the reason for this decision, I think it's suspicious that they only gave users a two-week notice about the boards closing.

This looks like some judicious cut-and-paste. Fess up, sista!

You're kidding, right? Did you even read the post?

I did. I read very fast.

How about replying to the content? Yes, I wrote it myself, but I'm starting to regret it.

Wow! It's quite brilliant! Marry me! Our children will be Vera, Chuck and Dave.

Thanks, but I'm still too offended that you think I lack the ability to write an opinion piece. Maybe after some coddling.

It's not a question of ability. It's so serious! I imagine us living happily together (perhaps in the South of France) and then I pick up a magazine after tea and what do I see "A socio-political analysis of the origins and growth of ISIS" by Dr. Crystal Bentley! It's enough to make a chap quite depressed!

I'm keeping my last name.

Okay. As long as you don't work as a weather forecaster you should be fine.

I think meteorology involves math, so I'm not equipped to follow that career path.

It was a good post. Not yours, though.

She can be "wordy" at times. I've seen it.

Like most women. Am I right? (nudge nudge)

Kidding, Crystal!

I demand a reply to the some of the actual content of my post.

Okay.

I agree with your observations that most IMDb boards are not full of trolls.

I also agree that concerns about lawsuits doesn't make sense at this point. However, there's been some rumors that Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act might change, taking away the protections from lawsuits that internet forum owners currently enjoy in your scenario. On the other hand, even if that happens, why wouldn't Amazon simply wait for it to happen? Thus, it's an idea that no longer appeals to me.

Thanks.

I think it's a possibility. If they think the law might change, then that explains why they'd remove the boards now, after leaving them up for so many years.

Bottom line is: the message boards aren't worth it to them. They don't draw enough revenue, you have to have IT people monitor and fix them, there are servers and storage issues, and yes there will the occasional complaints about the unpleasant postets. So they are getting out of the business.

That goes hand in hand with, "they care more about money than people." IMDb definitely has enough money to keep the boards going. If they didn't, they could take donations, offer paid board membership options (perhaps paid accounts could have advantages over free accounts), and/or sell the message board system to another company.

They definitely do care more about money than people. They are taking g a hard-nosed look at an odd section of their business and they are taking a calculated risk that the savings from cutting this outweigh the pissed off posters going elsewhere.

I have no reason to visit this site after the boards close, since there are other sites I can go to if I just want to know who played a role in a movie/show.

I know some people who don't post on any boards here, but they still enjoy reading comments about shows/movies they watch, and they're disappointed about the boards closing too. Hopefully everyone who's disappointed will stop coming to this site.

If Needham is honest about most visitors not using the message boards, it makes sense that they'd give up on them.

I don't believe that most users don't visit the boards, but even if that's true, that wouldn't be an issue if IMDb really cared about all the people who visit their site. Without the boards, this site is a dime a dozen; the information they provide can be found on several other websites. The boards are what made this site unique.

I can't believe this turned into a serious discussion about etiology! That's what I love about this board.

I re-read it slowly. It's good. It seems to boil down to two things: ad revenues, and the inconvenience/costs of administering the boards (if we're staying in the realm of the economic). If this is so, then we don't have a hope in hell. If they decide they're losing money, they will close the site. It really looks as if troll-behaviour isn't the major factor here, then. In fact, it's an excuse for a cop out.

Thanks. I think they're trying to blame the trolls, but they're only fooling gullible people with that excuse.

If they do lose traffic to the site after the boards close, I think there's a chance they'll reopen, but all the existing threads probably won't be restored.

It's not the primary thing but they can't be crazy about the trolls and hate speech either!

Last summer, I once scrolled through three full pages and halfway through a fourth before finding a topic that was related to this show. Alerting others to spoilers - i.e., common courtesy - has become a thing of the past. Someone who'd asked a question about Preacher on its message board, and mildly complained about the resulting (major) spoiler in a reply, was very rudely told that as *the comic* ended 16 years ago, "spoilers" no longer apply. (Really?!)

Trolls and jerks were the downfall of these
boards.

We live in a world that is descending into savagery.

This could be to blame: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/new-california-imdb-age-law-932808

IMDb is probably worried about being sued if ages are revealed on the message boards.

On the other hand, according to another article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/legalentertainment/2017/01/11/amazon-owned-imdb-in-age-discrimination-battle-with-state-of-california/#3462b8e131e4), IMDb refused to comply, so maybe they're not afraid of lawsuits?

Still, it can't be a coincidence that the boards are closing so soon after this law went into effect.

I don't know, but message boards have a special place in my heart. Yeah, I switched to using groups on Facebook, but I didn't last long, mainly because most everyone in the groups I was in were pretty dumb. Like, too dumb to bother talking to about anything. So once IMDb is over, I plan to just pace back in forth in the kitchen of my apartment and talk to myself.

No need to go through all that!
This place is just like, IMDb except our streets are cleaner!

Of course they are. They shut down the comments on our News site in SA a while ago. They are every where.