Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life : Therapy Scenes

Therapy Scenes

That therapist was the worst! I am a therapist myself and there is no way I would sit there for an hour and not ask my patients at least one question to try get them talking. The only thing she said in two sessions with Lorelei and Emily was "our time is up." Really?! Just terrible and I am pretty sure Emily was paying her a pretty penny to sit there and take notes while doing nothing to establish rapport or offer support. Ugh, I can't stand when therapists are presented in a bad light like this.

Re: Therapy Scenes

We only viewed 1 or 2 minutes of each 50-minute session, you don't know what she might have done when we were not allowed to view.

Besides what they chose to show was for demonstrating the difficulty Emily and Lorelai had communicating, not what kind of therapist they were seeing.

Look up the word "pedant."

..*.. TxMike ..*..

But it wouldn't take much to just hint at the therapist being helpful: just two or three scattered lines to show her moving the conversation along or suggesting something constructive. As it is, she looks like a helpless bystander who's totally out of her depth with Lorelai and Emily (when in reality, therapists have to deal with people way more screwed up than Lorelai and Emily).

When you show a professional at work in a TV show, you have to create at least a veneer of professionalism: the doctor has to use his stethoscope or shock paddles, not stand around twiddling his thumbs.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Thank you, Nameless! My point exactly. She looked totally uncomfortable and anxious, as if she did not know how to deal with people who won't talk. I am pretty sure both Emily and Lorelai would have started talking, with just a few probing questions from the therapist. Really she looked like a rookie, although her office surroundings suggested that she made a good living at what she did.
I agree that when showing a professional at work on TV, there is an obligation, and I feel that therapists are given a "bad rap" in general when it comes to how they are presented on TV shows.

I did not have to look it up, and I respectfully disagree. This is a message board in which we discuss, even dissect, whatever we want about a show on TV. This was an aspect of this particular show that bothered me, and therefore, I brought it up for discussion.

I guess it depends on the level of interventionism to the therapeutic approach she's practicing? I, too, am a therapist (albeit a brand new one) - and I, too, wouldn't sit back and wait and hope for an eventual breakthrough. But in college I did take a lot of different therapy courses, some of which did preach that sit-back attitude.

So I don't think it's wholly unrealistic, depending on the sort of therapist she is. But I do wish the whole therapy arc would have been entirely left out (we've had seven seasons' worth of communication troubles between Lorelai and Emily that didn't require a therapist to illustrate), or that they'd chosen someone who practiced a far more involved approach. (CBT or the like.)

As it was, it was rather dull most of the time. At least for me. Not to mention it raised some questions - like Lorelai's supposed letter - which were never answered. And that's on top of the whole therapy arc once again regressing Lorelai and Luke's dynamic to that miscommunication-and-lying-for-the-sake-of-miscommunication-and-lying gimmick. You'd think they'd have learned their lessons there already.

This is true, and not wholly unrealistic, as Psychotherapy tends to use the approach of "listening" and letting the patient "come to own conclusions." But if that was the approach being used, she still should have asked some questions throughout, instead of just sitting there.
I agree that it was super-dull, and annoying to watch.

I thought the same thing! It was so odd that she just sat there looking overwhelmed or annoyed all the time!

She was hot, though.

I was bothered by the scene where she come running up to Loralei in Stars Hollow. So unprofessional.
I did get the impression that she was meant to be a little itimidated by Emily, she was more involved when it was just Loralei there.

Running up to Lorelei was a breach of ethics.

Any therapist, social worker, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, etc. are not supposed to approach patients (or former patients) outside of their office. The patient has to be the first to acknowledge the other.

This is a pretty iron-clad principle of ethics.

Yeah, that struck me too. I get the impression that ASP doesn't know much about therapy.

As a therapist, how do you feel about her "there's a lot being said in the silences" comment? Is that just TV psychology talk?

I found it confusing that the therapist kept writing in her notebook. When I was in therapy, my psychologist took notes, but only while I was talking. She spent a lot of time listening and making eye contact with me. I would have felt as uneasy as Lorelai and Emily, if my therapist had just sat there writing.