Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life : Was Rory's career situation realistic?

Was Rory's career situation realistic?

So, I understand that Millennials are the first generation for whom a college degree isn't a guarantee of a nice career. Moving back in with parents after college has become a normal and necessary step for many. I had to do it for a year and a half myself after undergrad. But for Rory to be in this position 10 years after getting an Ivy League education seems like kind of a stretch. Is there any scenario where that's a realistic outcome for reasons other than her being a screw-up? She was clearly shown to be snobby and bratty with that website interview and the Chilton offer, then kind of inept with the spec "lines of New York" storybut I guess I'm looking for some redeeming qualities or reasons why her professional life went the way it did.

Re: Was Rory's career situation realistic?

Its realistic when you have a journalism degree and no real journalistic talent.

Trolls Need Not Apply

I agree. I don't know what it's like in the US, but here, if you want to be a journalist, you study political sciences or economics SOMETHING. After that, you can get a second master in journalism. That's how it works. You don't get a bachelor degree in journalism and expect to get a job in it.

With the degree Rory has, you might end up working as a secretary for a newspaper, in payroll or something. You need a master in something (a field, your journalistic field if you wish) and than you learn how to tell a story (that only takes a year, it's an additional master degree). But you need thorough knowledge in a specific field, master level. She doesn't have that. She's not that bright either.

I remember Richard saying she memorized the periodic table at the age of 5. That SO did not happen!

You said it perfectly. When I first started watching this series a few weeks ago, I literally laughed out loud when she said she was majoring in Journalism. If only the writers knew how much the times would change.

Theres a lot you can do with a journalism degree (PR, digital marketing, communications, etc.). The problem was Rory was stuck in I have to be a print journalist and didnt have the talent to compete.

Trolls Need Not Apply

Actually, her major was in English and Political Sciences, right? At least that's what she says in her interview at Chilton, and her classes indicate this.

In the revival she said she had a degree in journalism. I always assumed it was English Lit, but there we go.

Ill be waiting, with a gun and a pack of sandwiches.

Yeah, but since they ignored a lot of things from the original show:D Anyway, I'm not from US, but I looked it up and apparently one can't get a undergraduate degree in Journalism on Yale University http://catalog.yale.edu/ycps/majors-in-yale-college/
So, I'm just wondering, if anyone from USA could explain

ASP didn't do her research and didn't care. But, I think her replacement in season 7 changed Rory's major to English for that reason.

Anyway Journalism. Terrible choice for a major. Everyone's a journalist today. BTW read my blog please.

I think ASP also changed her major to English so that her conversion from journalist to author was a little more believable.

The last Edward I read about had a crazy wife locked in the attic

Yeah, but originally (not just on S7) she would major in English and Political Sciences, not in Journalism. I don't think headmaster Charleston would offer her a job in teaching English or History if she had a Journalism degree, even if she went to grad school. It is just weird that they just ignore the original plan of the show just for the sake of the story that they wanted

Well, if Rory had at least majored in journalism, but as far as the original show goes, she always majored in English literature.

With English Literature, Rory chose a pretty easy major for her reading all the time. But Rory always chose the easy solution and did only the most basic requirements. Paris had to push all the extra activities on her, like student presidency, Chilton paper, and also some other extra activities mentioned in Yale.

She was studious, but not that smart, but you can see that in small notion throughout the series.

I can see her learning things by heart, but thinking for herself was always an issue - Remember when she was supposed to write her own story and present Doyle with 3 ideas - one lamer than the other. Just by chance, she stumbled over the life and death brigade.

I knew that she is not journalism material, even before Mitchum told her that - and even back then I hoped that we would see some growth and maybe more realistic career ideas after she came back to Yale - But nothing changed.

And now, after 8-10 more or less unsuccessful years (there was one this one big success mention and nothing else) and being 32 she still does not realized that she is not made for journalism.

Yup. She was never a journalist type. She is an editor, assistant, well Mitcham was right after all.

Also, she did not want proper jobs, like teaching or working for online magazine. She acted like a spoiled brat at puberty

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I think she always romanticized journalism. She thought she was going to be the next big freelance writer like back in the hayday of newspapers and never really considered how technology would change how news is reported.

I think Rory was hunting for a job that didn't exist anymore. Those jobs kind of disappeared when she graduated so I guess she's been restless searching for her passion but I find it kind of hard to believe she didn't have more doors open to her. Valedictorian from Chilton? Graduated from Yale? Was on the Obama campaign trail? If anyone was getting in the door, it was probably her.

And she did have some bites- she kind of blew her internet job interview, and she could've worked at Chilton. I mean, summers off? Probably a good salary considering it's a top school and she could still write her book.

-Who is it?
-It's Grandpa. And it sounds like he's gotten into the horseradish again.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Huh. Your friend's story is kind of sad, unless she's happier now. I feel Rory's outcome is sad because she's still directionless. So she wrote a book that we can assume will have the same success that the show did in real life. But the idea for it had to be dropped in her lap, and what is she supposed to do after the book runs its course? Does she have other stories to tell? She had so much going for her and it's a little hard to accept that it didn't amount to much of anything.

It's realistic because it's real somewhere for someone in the real world

honestly, I think the part that's always been unrealistic is how many opportunities are handed to her on a silver platter. Seriously: who has a meeting with Conde Nast, which is a publishing kingdom? (Note: this doesn't happen. You meet with the editors of individual publications. The empire of Conde Nast doesn't care about writers.) Who gets offered the opportunity to teach *Any subject* at a prestigious school, so long as she gets a master's degree? And who just decides to write a book with no source of income?

She doesn't have career problems, she has wealthy white girl problems. She is not relatable as a writer.

I think Rory's situation was extremely realistic. I don't think anyone goes to college and just gets the job the think they will have and that it is easy and they are successful and it is just that simple. I think there are a lot of people that went to college and are working at Mcdonalds or doing something completely out of their field.

Yes, but RORY will never work at a McDonald's. She's way too privileged, there are rich people in her family/friends, and they're all willing to throw money at her. She can crash at anyone's house for free.

I think with privilege and education like Rory's, there are only two reasons she would be in this situation. One is a big life change (a baby, a serious disease). Another is that she's too entitled and keeps turning jobs down, which is exactly what she's doing.

She never has to do something she doesn't want to do, and that has made her entitled and lazy. It's also possible that she's just no good at what she does, but I don't think it's the only reason. Mediocre writers can have moderate success (or more if they're a Youtube/Twitter phenomenon as well). Sandee is probably not a brilliant writer, but she has gotten far in her career.

Rory is looking for a job that would be her ultimate passion, and that hasn't come along, so she's not even trying. She could have at least finished her article on lines; it might have led somewhere. But instead she has a one night stand with a Wookie (har har) and quits because it's "stupid". This is how a 12-year-old would behave. Rory needs to grow up and be more humble.

If you're someone like Rory.

Rory waits around for things to be handed to her and that didn't happen. Rory had a chance with that company but she thought she was better than that job. Rory had her heart set on Conde Nast but she wasn't willing to compromise.

She wanted to have this great career that she always believed she should.

Rory waits around for things to be handed to her and that didn't happen. Rory had a chance with that company but she thought she was better than that job. Rory had her heart set on Conde Nast but she wasn't willing to compromise.

Spot on. I don't think her situation is all that realistic at all. These replies seem like we're comparing someone that has just graduated college (albeit an Ivy League one), vs a character who has graduated almost 10 years earlier. My groomsman, (got started on this show w/ my wife in the Spring) graduated from Yale with not Journalistm, but a similar generic less specific degree type. Ended up working with a major consulting firm out of college, then continued with additional education later.

What get's me is she wasn't able to have some timeline after working with President Obama's campaign, and the pristine education track? Very hard to believe. There is nothing really going on except a New York Times piece?

However, Rory's character showed that she felt that certain things were beneath her. (Practically offered a job at a great school as long as she would complete a Masters program.) Didn't prepare for the job that she didn't want, (Why even go if you had that attitude?) Always set on a major company (Conde Nast), but has what appears to be a somewhat limited employment history and no reason for it, (I.e. Out of workforce due to obtaining more education.)

I honestly felt like laughing when it turned out that Rory didn't have anything going on. She covered Obama's 2008 campaign, she had no student loans and her grandparents built a building in Yale in her name but yet this woman has nothing happening?

Writing for the Atlantic, Slate and Salon is great but she seems kind of silly. And you know what? That lines editiorial piece could have totally worked. There's a piece there about young adults feeling cast adrift and wanting to find meaning by looking outward instead of inward but she didn't want to do it. It wouldn't have been an amazing piece but it could have been something.

Yeah, it's the 10 year thing that's throwing me as well and making me feel this is not realistic. With her background and the sheer amount of time she's had to find her footing, it just doesn't make sense. That's even accounting for the changes in her chosen field and her snooty, entitled personality. At the very least, how has she been supporting herself for the last decade if she's only written a handful of articles?

My initial reading of the revival was that Rory had moderate success, but wasn't able to sustain it or build on it. And we're seeing the period in her life when the balance has finally tipped and she's no longer able to make journalism work, even though she'd previously been managing it. Now I'm not sure, and it seems like the only reasonable explanation is she's one hell of a brat and caused her own stagnation.

Excelling at school is no guarantee of excelling at life.
Rory struggled once she hit college. Loralei was a great friend to Rory but honestly not a great mother. Rory is a writer which isn't the same thing as a journalist.
Also we don't know exactly what Rory has been doing the past 10 years. She may have had a job with a magazine/newspaper and got fired or left.
I think she also wanted a reason to go back to London frequently to see Logan.

Well here is where we can tell it is just a television show. Someone who is a valedvictorian at their high school and goes on to get a Yale degree is usually smarter than we see of Rory. They will make sure they are employable and build a good foundation for a career so that by 32 they are in a good spot. Rory was being a brat and didn't want to work writing a blog or as a teacher. So what the hell does she want to do? Typical liberal arts major millennial then she had the audacity to look down on the other 30-somethings. Also I get that Lorelai is a "cool mom" but she should have said at some point GET A JOB WITH PROSPECTS GIRL, YOU ARE 32 AND YOUR EDUCATION COST US AN ARM AND A LEG.

It's possible.

She's an entitled character that lives in an echo chamber (notice how the only character that talked down to her in 7 seasons was Logan's dad) so isn't ever willing to compromise and doesn't accept her character flaws/weaknesses because she only surrounds herself with people that think she sh!ts gold and everyone that doesn't agree is just a big meanie who her echo chamber network discredits. She's also largely an unfocused drifterI mean look at her opportunities, when has she caused when rather than someone pushed the on her or use their influence to benefit her.

I think it would have been a better plot if they did the revival sooner after the original series had ended (like 3-5 years, maybe). Rory graduated college right when the economy crashed and the field of journalism was shifting, so it's understandable that her career didn't pan out exactly the way she wanted (especially with only an undergrad degree); it's a relatable situation that a lot of post-recession college grads go through, and it's actually refreshing to see Rory go through real struggles whereas in the original series everything always fell right into her lap (the internship at Mitchum's Stamford paper, becoming the editor of the Yale Daily News, the Obama campaign job, etc.). Again, I think it would have been more understandable for a recent-ish grad, but after 10 years she should really have her sh*t together a bit better.

That being said, I agree with the assessments on this thread that Rory's attitude is a big part of the problem. She has a goal in mind but isn't willing to do what it takes to realistically get to a certain level in her career. She won't take any job that she feels is beneath her (even though said jobs could eventually help her to get where she wants to go), she showed up for an interview completely unprepared, she didn't want to get a master's degree, etc. Rory has a romanticized vision of what she wants her career to look like and she doesn't seem to think that she should have to settle for anything less, despite the fact that it's extremely unlikely in this day and age to land your dream job within the first decade of your career. She was in for a rude awakening sooner or later, but this sort of thing happens to most people at age 22, not 32.

Yes, I agree with you. That would happened to her when she was 25, not 32. I think it is realistic that the she is not the next Christiane Amanpour, but is not realistic that her accomplishments are just a few articles for some magazines. I mean, she just wander for 10 years writing some articles and everyone (including her) thought it was OK, that she was on the right path? I don't think so. I think they could go on a different path, maybe something like not working on her field, or working on a little newspaper but not super successful, or discovering other things to do and to work with media without being a journalist

I mean, she just wander for 10 years writing some articles and everyone (including her) thought it was OK, that she was on the right path? I don't think so.

Do you think that's really all she's been up to? What about all the traveling she supposedly had been doing and never staying in her New York apartment? Was that made up or just code for being Logan's mistress? I don't get how she could've floundered for *so* long and never thought about re-adjusting. And I also don't get how taking the free job at the Stars Hollow Gazette fits into that, if she was too good for actual jobs that would've paid well and given her opportunities to grow.

I don't know, but they don't mention anything elseI don't remember if they say for how long she was living on her New York apartment, but if it was only for the last year, that would explain, since she was writing her article for The New Yorker. I believe she was a freelance journalist, but her attitude towards the lines articles and SandeeSays shows that she was not a really good professional.

It really is even if she has an Ivy League education, a career especially in something like journalism is very hard especially in this internet day and age, and major journalism jobs can be considered a pipe dream. Most journalism majors actually end up doing something else. I had an English teacher who was a journalism major back in high school. Not many majors nowadays have guarantee long careers except something medical like nursing, education and maybe (just maybe) accounting.

"Who lives, who dies, who tells your story"

I don't find it that unrealistic. I'm 32, and most of my peers are either just settling down or are becoming restless because they felt they settled too soon. I know after college I pretty much had a new job every year or so and moved many times too. I even moved out of state for two years (had four "jobs" there), then wound up moving back into my parents at 28.

Now I've been with the same job for almost five years and bought my own house, but I still have a few peers still meandering through life. Then there are my peers who got the perfect careers straight out of college, got married, went back to school to further their career, had a kid, aaaaannnnd now they're suddenly no longer happy. They're going to the bars like in college, contemplating quitting their jobs or switching careers altogether, getting divorced, etc.

Seems like being a 30 something today, you're either just getting your life together or are at least really trying to seeing as you sucked at life through your 20s, wandering through life kind of waiting to see what happens next instead of really tryingOR the life you so carefully put together is totally starting to fall apart.

The type of career that Rory envisioned was from a 40s or 60s movie she watched with her mom. That's why it was funny/ironic when she's at the ancient dusty newsroom at Stars Hollow.

I am surprised that after Yale and the Obama campaign she didn't get her a steady job though. Plus, between the connections of the grandparents, Christopher, everyone at Chilton, and Yale alumni, I feel there isn't an excuse. At 26 maybe, but yeah, after 10 years, I think its sad they made Rory so pathetic.

They should have at least had her history be having a nice job at one point, but then deciding to quit or being let go which sends her spiraling; that would have made more sense.

As far as we know, she was freelancing during the last years. Yet, we dont know if that was voluntarily or because nobody offered her something steady.

Maybe she got a job offer or two from smaller newspapers after the campaign or continued to write for Hugos magazine as a freelancer and turned down smaller newspapers offers, because she thought they were beneath her and she is better than them. From what we know, she had a very successful piece in the Times.

The problem with working freelance is that you need a lot of ambition, thrive, intuition (for stories), independence and competitiveness - All of which Rory lacks, therefore I can see her struggles to be real. These lacks are accompanied by her mediocre writing, her egoistic, arrogant view that she is better than some papers, magazines, and is much more worth, just because she had this one successful piece in the Times.

She only went to Sassy, who was after her for nearly a year, after all her other options went through the window, but she still was to arrogant and self-centered that she didnt even prepare for the interview and wasnt able to think of at least 3,4 interesting stories she could write about.

As a freelance journalist you have to go out and look for stories of you own, so if she would have been successful, she could do that after 8 years of freelancing. But Rory was never good at finding stories, either they were handed to her and then she did ok with writing, but Rory lacks creativity and she couldnt even think of what to write her own book about - Jess had to tell her and again it is the easy way out - Writing about your own life.

Rory build her life on a dream, she wasnt made for. She had the academic success to build this career, but she doesnt have what it takes to be successful in real life. Yet, she still thinks she is a good journalist and faults others for not having success.

Plus, she impulsively asks for the lines articles from Conde Nast, talks a big game about having this exciting take on it (hopes and dreams of the people lining up), and falls asleep while interviewing the guy who agreed to talk to her?

Very unprofessional and incompetent.

Even if you think you are being given a job, to go in an not be able to pitch even one story idea shows a level of incompetence.

Rory is going for very high level jobs without a masters and without much experience. In real life, free-lance writers hustle for work and aggressively seize opportunities. What was very realistic in the show was that Rory did not try very hard to get work and so she did not get it.

It was a nice change from the original where she just had to sneeze to get opportunities thrown at her.