La La Land : Ryan and Emma do not deserve Oscar nominations for this

Ryan and Emma do not deserve Oscar nominations for this

What was so special about their performance? Emma plays exactly the same character as she did in her rom-com movies, except her performance here was maybe a bit more subtle. As for Ryan Gosling, this has to be one of his worst performances by far. He had one facial expression the entire movie, he showed zero range. What the hell happened to the guy who was so incredible in Half-Nelson and Blue Valentine? Usually he brings a lot of charisma and subtle humor to his roles, well not here.

The entire movie was underwhelming. The story was lacking serious character development, as someone here already said the ending was most definitely not earned. Their relationship felt rushed, their reason for breaking up was silly and they did not go through enough for me to care about the ending, let alone feel emotional about it.

That being said, i think Damien Chazelle is incredibly talented and should have been nominated for Whiplash, which is by far a way better movie than La La Land.

Re: Ryan and Emma do not deserve Oscar nominations for this

yes, whiplash is a better film but that film is good too

The only good thing in Whiplash was J.K Simons as Fletcher in his very house like teacher. When i saw the beginning of season 4 in House where making his new team i thought Fletcher goes to PPTH.

That's how great Simons he was but other than that i prefer La La Land by a long shot, much more audience friendly and mainstream.

Could you elaborate?

About Whiplash?

It was too much of a downer a very pessimistic film , maybe i watched it in the wrong mood when i was already pissed off with nominated films that non of them had the wooow factor and found all of them lackluster that this one was which made say enough i don't like oscar movies anymore and made me give up on them.

and Whiplash paid for all the others and still J. K Simmons made an impact i remembered his performance very much but it really stayed with me.
Maybe its because he did a great job playing an SOB and made me hate Fletcher with all my heart

Completely Agree, They weren't anything special. Just lucky

Agree on Gosling, disagree on Stone. I was actually rather impressed by her emotional range, and how she managed to convey a lot of emotion with just her eyes. I do feel like her spot could've been occupied by Amy Adams, who has been totally snubbed for both Arrival AND Nocturnal Animals, but if Stone does win, I won't be annoyed or upset or anything.

I'll be really dissapointed if Gosling wins Best Actor though. Adore the film, and him in it, but he just doesn't deserve it.

I agree, Amy Adams was totally snubbed. This was her year.

I think Emma Stone was wonderful in La La Land, gave an amazing performance. And yes how she can convey emotion through her eyes - like in the break-up scene - just amazing. She very much deserves her Oscar nom.

When she was doing her audition in the beginning of the movie, the one with the phone call, I was utterly mesmerised. She actually managed to bring across that added level of emotion to it, which is something I don't think many other actresses could do even half as well. She really was the perfect choice for Mia, so glad we didn't get the Emma Watson / Miles Teller combo that was originally planned.

I believe Gosling and Stone deserved their nominations, especially Stone. Her acting was on a different level than her rom-coms. She was awesome. Hope she wins.

I didn't see Arrival, so I can't speak about Adams' performance in that, but I saw Nocturnal Animals and the one Oscar nomination it got might have been one too many. That movie was horrible on every one of its pretentious levels.

Sorry you didn't like La La Land. In my opinion, it was the best movie I saw all year.

Acting was not outstanding. Singing was poor and their dancing was not even up to par. So why exactly are the nominated for doing the absolute least? I tell you, standards have dropped in Hollywood. Also, La La Land was nothing special, I watched it and cannot tell you how bored I was.

The sound at the start was so low, the "performance" was laughable, I love musicals but what they tried doing here was not even worthy of shutting down any highway. The story was contrived, seemed something like a grade 10 student handed in after pulling an all-nighter. Overall, this movie should not hold against so many others that were nominated, could be nominated.

The academy is so out of touch.

At least this movie is highly appreciated than a movie that is called Les Miserables. Many people who don't like musical stick with this and found this enjoyable.Les Miserables which I personally enjoyed and did cry towards the climax scene but a lot of people went out of the cinemas earlier than expected. They found it boring having to hear 165 minutes of non-stop emotional to death songs.

I very much disagree about both Gosling and Stone. I thought both were outstanding in La La Land, Stone especially.

I'm wondering if perhaps your second paragraph might explain the first? In which case I'm wondering if your objections to the script might be influencing your concerns about the actors' performances? How scripts and performances are related is really complex but as a general rule, I think a really good performance delivers the script; and if you don't like the script, you might well dislike the execution of the script.

My own take is that they delivered and delivered with above-and-beyond skill, especially Stone, but I'd say both deserved their Oscar noms big time.

From all of the movies I have watched with Emma Stone acting in it, this is no doubt, the best acting performance she has delivered in her life. She uses her eyes to suggest meanings and give impacts to us. She's brilliant in this and I have seen this movie 5 times. The way the she moves her elegant body, the charisma and the cat walk that she does are so powerful in depth that in my opinion, I'm surprised if she didn't win an Oscar for this. The last 20 minutes shows the best of the best performance, I never thought she could pull her acting to that level.

As of Ryan Gosling, I don't really find him to be that excellent as Emma. He's great but not magnificent. Well, I pondered around and I came to think, that character that Ryan played as Seb was indeed a very challenging person. It's hard for someone to play piano, to whistle (There are some people who just can't do that), to dance, to be a comedian, to sing, to be emotional at times, and to have that I-do-not-leave-my-charisma-behind, He actually deserves it!

I don't think their relationship felt rushed, I felt it smooth and along the way. And no, their reason for breaking up wasn't silly. This is a movie where you should realize that couples don't use media social to contact with each other. From the movie, we can see only a scene that happens for a couple to be using medium based-technology, that is when Mia misses Seb so much, she couldn't bear it that she has to call Seb without noticing that Seb has came home. Seb had that 'long haul' years ago before Mia became an actress. That scene justifies that they had learned their lessons that long distance relationship couldn't work for them. So, why make the same mistake twice? One is travelling over a long haul and the other is stuck at a place.

They deserve their nominations and wins at the Golden Globe and the upcoming Oscars.

They are both good actors and gave good acting performances, so I do think that they deserve their nominations. Where they were lacking is in the singing and dancing. And I don't think that the movie deserved to be nominated. But the acting was good.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I think you're the only person that has said that their relationship felt rushed. But that is exactly what I thought too. The beginning of the film felt so disjointed.

I agree. Mediocre acting at best.

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar and doesn't.

Agree only about Gosling. anyway, the award would and should go to Casey Affleck

even equiped with a shovel and you couldn't dig this