P.S. I Love You : Why was Gerard cast as the lead male?

Why was Gerard cast as the lead male?

Gerard's accent wasn't even Irish and his acting meh. I guess since after the success of 300 he was cast as the lead. I just think Jeffrey Dean Morgan would have been a better fit IMO, but I might be biased though as I am a fan of his. What are your opinions?

Edited to add: Also, Gerard and Hilary didn't have any chemistry, whereas Hilary and JDM did. I think JDM has chemistry with everyone though lol ;)

R. e: Why was Gerard cast as the lead male?

Spending much of his early life in Scotland has left him with a Scottish accent, but he has an Irish family heritage. I think his accent was very believable and he was well cast as Gerry. The guy clearly likes to engage in a wide variety of roles (action, dramatic, rom-coms, musicals…even Shakespeare!)
I think he had plenty of chemistry with co-star Hilary.

I thought JDM was really quite good in his role too, though of course he was faking his accent being American.

Re: Why was Gerard cast as the lead male?

I think he had great chemistry with Hilary. And i think he was perfect for the role.

Agree completely, Gerard looks good in this, sings and has chemistry with Hilary. I also think it's the first movie of his I saw!

I loved both of the men (Gerard and Jeffrey) in this movie.
They were perfect and underrated imo.

Agreed, I didn't find Gerry very likeable in this and his accent was poor. Jeffery Dean Morgan was way more appealing all round - I think he would have been a great leading man (and his Irish accent was better)

I think Butler can do a better Irish accent than Dean Morgan.

It's that man again!!