Zootopia : Scary for child.. had to walk out of theater!

Scary for child.. had to walk out of theater!

Several scenes, especially where the creature scratches the seats, goes mad, etc. can be extremely scary for a sensitive child. Had to walk out of the theater the daughter still has nightmares and traumatized!

Why make a children cartoon such intense and frightening? Do you really expect every child to watch Walking Dead from 5 y.o.?
I hope your children get scared like that, insensitive producers!
MPAA should be punished for let that slide. It should have been PG-13!

Re: Scary for child.. had to walk out of theater!

Animation isn't 'just' for children, you know. You shouldn't assume that every movie is 'kid friendly.' Take a look at movies like The Plague Dogs. There is animation for every age.

P.S. I doubt anything in Zootopia is anywhere near as violent/gruesome as The Walking Dead.

but that kind of animation for "not children" has a special place and ratings and is not advertised as kid friendly.
Several scenes in Zootopia are made to terrify.

They set up how serious it will get in the very beginning not to mention parents have a ton of resources to see what is appropriate for THEIR child (from reviews, to the MPAA rating, to Common Sense Media). I highly recommend CMS because it not only provides an idea on content but also ideas on how to talk to your kid about the movies.

Many WDAS movies have such scenes (snow white's run through the enchanted, kids being turned into donkey slaves in pinocchio, night on bald mountain in fantasia), the animals hiding from & being killed by the Hunter in Bambi, mufasa's death, Hunchback of Notre Dame (just all of it)

For more recent fare, you have Flynn's stabbing in Tangled (not to mention the overarching them of kidnapping & emotional abuse), King Candy turning into the horrible monster hybrid, Hans betrayal AND Anna freezing, and Big Hero 6 pretty much anytime they're facing Kabuki.

And don't get me started on Don Bluth's early work. So yeah, this movie is eaaily for kids, just not for all kids. Know your kids and do your research.

Have you read the 'children's stories' that classic fairy tales come from?

"but that kind of animation for "not children" has a special place and ratings"

Zootopia is rated PG, but I guess you were too lazy a parent to notice. Can you even tell me the meaning of a PG rating?

Hint: The definition of PG says, among other things, that some intense scenes might frighten sensitive children.

Next time, read the rating on the poster before buying your child a ticket.

They are making environments for children of parents like the OP.

https://everydaythingsetc.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/20120510-082447.jpg

Yeah I would read reviews next time you decide to take your child to watch a movie. There are loads of reviews that state that Zootopia is not a young kids film. Im sorry your child had trouble with the movie, but you should also research the films you take your child to. Disney does not automatically equal babysitter. This movie had things to say and said them well.

Give your child time and as he or she gets older, they will appreciate this film.

And never trust how Disney advertises their movies. Read reviews first and read A LOT of them. Sorry, the internet is too useful and available to be playing games anymore with what we take our children to see.

Zootopia IS a great movie that can be enjoyed for kids, but it is also quite intense. I hope next time you can be more aware and check out reviews before you take your child to see a movie. If that comes off as condescending then forgive me.

Too many parents took their children to see Deadpool for crying out loud. Bad example since this IS a Disney film, but Disney also made The Lion King and Toy Story 3 which both had arguably the same level as intensity as this film.

I completely agree with you. There is NO excuse for parents taking younger kids to see the R rated Deadpool. I can see considering it with mid-to-late teens, but good grief, show some sense, people!

the movie should be banned

Your kid's a pussy if this film messed her up like that. Cupcake, I grew up with the darkest 80s kid's films you can imagine, all G-rated, and I turned out fine. This generation sucks.

LOL, I had the same thought. I took my Girlfriend's 3-and-a-half year old to the movie and she loved it.

Check out my action-packed short film, Liberation:
http://youtu.be/E4H0gJ4TwYc

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

The memorable animated movies that have stood the test of time always had intense scenes:

Little Mermaid
Secret of NIMH
Land before Time
Beauty and the Beast
Watership Down
etc
etc
etc

Don't forget the lion king

Try to ease your daughter into certain movies with The Secret of Nimnh, Rescuers Down Under, and The Great Mouse Detective

@cameron - better yet, the mom should keep the kid at home and watch the Cartoon network.

God no. All those shows suck now

The Plague Dogs is another fine example, or Watership Down to a lesser extent.

That's nothing!! My kid had to be put on suicide watch when she saw Inside Out, because Riley's crying in her parents' arms at the end depressed and traumatized her! Of course, the fact that there was nary a fart or poop joke to be found didn't help matters...

Children have been scared by Disney movies from the beginning. Bambi's mother died offscreen and people were still traumatized. I had nightmares from the dinosaur battle in "Fantasia." Other kids have been scared by the forest scene in "Snow White," evil witches and queens. And who forgets that Old Yeller is SHOT by the boy who loves him after he saves the family.

Disney is not supposed to be so bland that kids don't feel. Walt Disney himself said it was important for people to cry at his films.

You can't predict what will give a child nightmares but you CAN do some research and take responsibility for what might upset YOUR child and not argue that because it was too scary for YOUR child, the rest of us should have been short-changed and not presented with a rich, engaging film.

It's funny we both got scared by the same move but different segments. Night on Bald Mountain is what did me in as a kid.

But it certainy supports what we've been sayig, which is every kid is different & one needs to take responsbility and know theirs and the content of a movie.

Kinda agree. My 6 year old seemed fine but I felt that maybe he needs more reassurance which I gave him... still I say it depends on the kid. Not all kids are alike.

I too agree that perhaps this should be PG-9 or something... maybe have a category for that if not already.

PG-9? Isn't that what PG generally is? It's not like the movie was rated G.

Grant discovered raptor eggs in Jurassic Park

That sounds cool!

Besides, why didn't you check the parental guidance this site has for this movie? You shouldn't just take kids into movies without knowing if it's okay for them.

I hope that there is an Evangelion video game where you can beat Asuka up!

Post deleted

We have a troll her!!!!

Just take the retard out......LOL

Amanda Bynes is hot and Lindsay Lohan is not.
Profile pic: Courtney Thorne-Smith.

Sounds like it's you and your daughter's problem. I've never heard of anyone else complaining about it being too scary.

You should show your kid Hunchback of Notre Dame. Nothing scary or unsettling at all in that! It's all wholesome sunshine and rainbows.

You know they have ratings for a reason. If your kid is too young, then stick with G rated movies. It's not the movies fault parents can't figure out a simple ratings system.

Is Zootopia scary to a 5 year old?

Sure, it has moments.

As in walk out of the theater and have nightmares and borderline PTSD scary?

Uhhhhh... not for most 5 year olds...

Look, there are things that kids should find disturbing, like scenes of high impact violence and cruelty etc.

But Zootopia fits clearly in to the non-disturbing "safe fear" category. Yes the feral animals would be a scary for a young child but it's dealt with in the end, which is very important. Justice matters to a young mind.

Now look, I'm not saying that your kids wasn't utterly terrified by Zootopia. But the problem isn't with the film.

Take them to the security kitchen!

this generation is a bunch of pussies, 90's Disney films are all rated G but it has more disturbing *beep* than all PG movies nowadays.

Was it because of the furries?

Your "Walking Dead" comment makes me almost sure that you're trolling, but I have to take the bait. This movie is not even as scary as the stuff that came out nearly a century ago for children. Look at Pinocchio or Dumbo or Bambi, for gawd's sake. If you aren't trolling, I have to LOL at your PG-13 comment. The movie should have been G and just fifteen or twenty years ago, it would have been.

http://www.juicycerebellum.com/movie.htm
Movies, movies, politics and movies.

I remember Dark Crystal at 5 years old, that scared me but glad I seen it now.

My Facebook is blowing up with parents talking about how they walked out of the theater. It was the same reaction that I saw with Frozen, the new Spongebob movie, and The Good Dinosaur. My son saw all 3 and loved them. My favorite was the mom saying that she couldn't believe how different it was from the cute little story portrayed in the trailer. Really? Did you see the same trailer that everyone else did? The movie is about a cop investigating disappearances. They clearly go to some sort of nudist colony and they are clearly captured by a mob boss. What was so surprising? Oh, and Tommy Chong is in it, so obviously there will be some sort of drug reference.

And the movies I grew up on were way worse.

The Little Mermaid wanted to pursue an older man she thought she loved (even though the only time she ever interacted with him was when he was unconscious), so she sold her soul to the devil. And don't even get me started on The Lion King. Fantasia? Alice in Wonderland? Both of those could have just been called "LSD: The Movie"

As parents, you should be allowed to raise your kids however you want. The problem is that this generation is bringing up kids to be special little snowflakes, sheltered in their little bubbles, clinging to their participation trophies, and they will never survive in the real world.

After seeing the reaction to Zootopia, I will definitely be taking my son to see it, and he's going to love it.

------
Revenge is...underrated, that felt awesome.

Art, including movies, represents a safe, arms-length way to introduce children to life's complexities, some of which are admittedly disturbing. You cannot shield your child from all mention of violence, prejudice or offense -- nor is it healthy to do so. Furthermore, a reasonably healthy child should be able to recover from being upset by a movie without being permanently traumatized by it. Human existence is full of negative things, including disturbing images, and having to deal with them -- sometimes learn from them -- exercises character and helps us learn to function in the real world. I know stress isn't fashionable these days, but it's mostly normal and healthy people, including children, can deal with it quite well.

If your child's reaction to a mere fight scene in an animated movie is so extreme that (s)he cannot function or shows personality changes, I strongly suggest you consult a mental health care professional. Because if that's the case, the movie likely isn't the real culprit.

I was never much of a Disney kid, I for some reason saw more Don Bluth films. you wanna scare your kid, THAT is the way to go. Disney is for pansies.

Different strokes for different folks. My 11 year kid's pretty tough, but she DID get startled during the scene when the 14 missing animals were discovered and one of them kinda LEAPS into the glass. Good jump scare...lol.

I imagine a small child might even find it BORING, there's a LOT of dialogue in this film...its pretty "talky". But again, different strokes for different folks.

----
Im gonna punch you in the cooter, I swear to God!

When Finding Nemo came out, we were blessed to live on an overseas military Base in a tropical area... outdoor movie theatre, bring your own snacks. Movies were free... and we had first run movies within a month of their release, usually playing several times in the following weeks. Bruce's first appearance got me every time. I mean EVERY. TIME. I was in my 40s. Even when I remembered that he was coming - I would jump and squeal. My (then) young kids thought it was a stitch. None of the kids living on the Base were the least bit afraid to go swimming, snorkeling, or SCUBA-ing after that... and many of them had shark steak on the grill regularly, so it's not like they thought there weren't really sharks out there.

It is also scary for those who are suffering from ovinophobia, lutraphobia or leporiphobia and stuff like that.

Well. Too bad for your kid. I watched plenty of cartoons that were a bit "scary" when I was little. Recalling an exact movie similar to Zootopia would be We're Back when a bunch of fun loving dinos "go savage."

But...I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you're just trolling.

Be glad you weren't screening Grave of the Fireflies. That is animated too...and that might actually traumatize a child. One of the most brilliant movies I have seen, but NOT for young children

Wow. Sounds like your child is not prepared for life if this movie TRAUMATIZED her and gave her PTSD like symptoms.

Honestly if your kid is so 'sensitive' then all the more reason to really research what movie you take them to.
I was in a kid-packed theatre and apart from some gasping I didn't really hear any trouble