Arrival : Overrated by pseudo-intellects and pretentious nerds

Overrated by pseudo-intellects and pretentious nerds

Hailing a movie like this as Sci-Fi master piece is an act of total ignorance oozing out of pathetically poor IQ.

The film's premise is set on a fairy tale fantasy tale like that of Alice in Wonderland. Deciphering an alien language gives your brain cells access to some unholy dimension to retrieve information from future and flash images in your mind?!

And just when the aliens started flashing their language, the sensible set of audience thought that the best part is about to begin which would show how exactly would humans interpret & decipher alien language. But no, the movie slams on the face with 'Hey! cut it out, we didn't bother to get into it because of lack of creative thinking' and lead to the part wherein we're fed that somehow humans started to decipher their language with no details of it.

It was an utterly laughable scene when those scientists stood in front of aliens holding banners with 'Human' written on it as if those aliens would know that it means 'humans' and not anything else such as 'welcome' or 'where are you from' or 'hello' etc.

The dialogs were so atrociously bad!

Some dimwits must've been easily impressed by the Chinese phone call conversation, like 'Whoa! what a cool paradox thing, unique!'; like similar to the bunch of Nolan fantards.

And finally the pretentious nerds are the ones who got super impressed like 'Who! what a freewill concept thingy!...cool' after seeing Amy Adams' decision to give birth to her daughter despite knowing that she will be terminally ill & suffer to death, demeaning the purpose of Aliens' intended help to human race.

Looks like Transformers fanboys got something to think on and pat on their own backs.

Hope Villeneueve doesn't destroy Blade Runner 2049.

Retard... Pussy... Sinister_prig

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Overrated by pseudo-intellects and pretentious nerds

Totally agree, one of the worst films I watched in 2016 (not just my opinion - my 2 other friends I watched it with were also very disappointed. God knows how it's got so many Golden Globe nominations. Drivel

Arrival is everything Interstellar tried to be : mind blowing, smart and one of the best Sci Fi in our recent history.
so i guess it depends on who you ask :)
Movies are like that! masterpieces for you can be *beep* for me and none would own the master truth.

http://trakt.tv/users/pedro
http://mooviestats.com/

Absolutely right.

This is a movie made so that pseudo-intellects and pretentious wannabe film critics can pretend to be intelligent by praising it.

Can people not enjoy a film that isn't "intelligent"?
Maybe people just enjoyed the film for it's story?

People liked the film, no one is pretending, stop being a dick.
Cheers.

You actually liked Arrival?

You're actually surprised that a total stranger on the net liked a film that you didn't?
Just proves how up your own ass you are.

Why do you even watch mainstream films at all when you clearly think you are above them?
I looked at your ratings and they are the ratings of an insane person.
You've given 1/10 to some fantastic films and yet given Texas Chainsaw 2 and Hellraiser 3 a 10/10? You're taste is appalling.

Again, stop talking to me, you existence is depressing.

Why do you even watch mainstream films at all when you clearly think you are above them?

Did I say all mainstream films were bad? Lot's of great ones have come out: The Drop, Hell Or High Water, Wolf Of Wall Street, Revenant, Moonlight etc...

You've given 1/10 to some fantastic films

And yet you're too much of a coward to name which ones, because you know they are bad. And you will look like an idiot online for supporting them.

Texas Chainsaw 2 and Hellraiser 3 a 10/10?

TCM2 has a huge cult following, and while somewhat comedic, it was the last of the great TCM series, have you ever seen it?
Hellraiser3 is also the same thing, it got great reviews, of course not as good as the first two, but it was the last great in the series.

Look at your fav films, in your "best horror list" you have Bride Of Chucky?
In yout fav films you have: Toy Story, South Park, and Warrior??

It's funny, you actually have half a brain we like many of the same, but you have a long way to go, you've seen Goodfellas, but never Mean Streets, or Who's That Knocking, you've seen True Romance but never Badlands
I guess I'm still feuding with you after tried to burn me on bashing Hacksaw Ridge, a film which you adore.

Hell or High Water was boring and completely useless.
Seriously, one of the most unimaginative films I've seen in years that has been overrated by pretentious lunatics like you.

Moonlight was also useless. One upon a time there was a gay, black man. The End. Wow, riveting stuff....
The Revenant was fine but overrated.
The Drop was okay but completely forgettable.

I'm too much of a coward to name the films? LOL Wow you really do live in your own little world, don't you.

Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan and The Departed are 3 of em (can't be bothered to look again)
2 fantastic films that are again, highly rated FOR A REASON.
You would have to be a total, ****ing retard to rate them 1 out of 10.

I have a list of over 80 fave films and you pick 2 of them to insult?
Toy Story is a great film and the majority of people will agree with it.

Why would you assume I've never seen Mean Streets or Badlands??
Bizarre assumption! Which shows how delusional you are!
You ASSUME I've not seen these films because if I had, they would be in my list of favourite films??
I have seen them both. Badlands was good but Mean Streets was pretty poor n forgettable.

It's funny, you actually have half a brain we like many of the same, but you have a long way to go,

Oooh, I get it! So someone is only smart if they have the exact same taste in movies as you? LOL.
Get over yourself, you sad, little man. You are so up your own ass, it is unbelievable.

Toy Story is a great film and the majority of people will agree with it.

And the majority of people will agree with me that Hell Or High Water wasn't boring, and Mean Streets and The Drop weren't poor or forgettable.

I agree the ending of Moonlight was useless, I never said it was perfect.

Band Of Bros was a watered down hokey TV series trying to pretend to be realistic Infantry grunt life. Schwimmer was pathetic.
SPR was good for 15mins then turned into a comedy and sob fest, the whiney medic, useless terp, Hanks as the aloof school teacher, skinhead Wehrmacht soldiers, laughable. The film waves huge American flags in your face, pathetic.
The Departed was just a mess, and a pain to follow. One of Scorsese's worst.

The thing is you seem like an intelligent guy given you do like lot's of great films, whether I like them or not. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings on the HSR post.
But I'm really worried for you if you think Hacksaw Ridge is a "perfect film" Is everything alright in your family or home life?

LOL I actually can't be bothered to argue with you.

At the end of the day, we are 2 different people with different opinions.
You can leave insulting comments like:

But I'm really worried for you if you think Hacksaw Ridge is a "perfect film" Is everything alright in your family or home life?

But you know deep down that you are just being an ass, right?
For me, it WAS a perfect film.
You have to open up your mind to the fact that these issues you had with the film, are not going to be an issue for everyone!

The story was 10/10
The directing and acting 10/10
The actions scenes 10/10 (You may have found them corny but that is just your personal perspective!

So...Yes, for me it was a perfect film.
If you weren't a sh!tty human being, you would respect that opinion rather than trying to patronize me.

And yes, most people would agree that Hell or High Water wasn't boring....Just like most people would agree that Hacksaw Ridge was a great film.
But the difference is, I don't go around the board for HOHW insulting people who enjoyed the film.
And even though I disliked that film, I still gave it a fair 5/10 rating because it was obviously a very well made film.
Giving something like HSR or SPR a 1/10 is just you being obnoxious.
Even if you hated the films, if you were smart you would recognize the fact that they are not bad films whether you cared for them or not.

Now don't reply again unless you are going to be reasonable.

Hacksaw Ridge will win no Oscars

Oh no!
You think I give a sh!t which films win Oscars? lol
I have a life, mate.
Now piss off and stop talking to me, you sad, sad man.

Please calm down.. And why call me a "mate" and then insult me? IMDB tough guys.

Stop telling me to calm down just because you can't think of a clever response.
You sound like you suffer from Dunning Kruger effect, MATE.
You think you are intelligent because of the films you like lol.
Nah, I think you are a pseudo intellectual and really you are just a moron.

Sadly, morons don't know they are morons.
Your existence is just a total shame, man LOL.

Why?

Is it necessary to insult people who happened to like it? Can't you just say you didn't like it?

So much vitriol on this movie's board. I guess I don't know who started it though-

Also agree, can't understand why this movie gets so much praise from movies reviewers on YouTube.

Hailing a movie like this as Sci-Fi master piece is an act of total ignorance oozing out of pathetically poor IQ.

What an intelligent way to start a post.

The film's premise is set on a fairy tale fantasy tale like that of Alice in Wonderland. Deciphering an alien language gives your brain cells access to some unholy dimension to retrieve information from future and flash images in your mind?!

It is TRUE science fiction concept, new and imaginative... In other words it is great science fiction.

And just when the aliens started flashing their language, the sensible set of audience thought that the best part is about to begin which would show how exactly would humans interpret & decipher alien language.

I thought the film showed that pretty well, and included the concept of time in it... that is what made it science fiction.

If the film would have been only about learning the language then it would have been more like fantasy fiction instead of science fiction, an 'Independence Day' of sorts.

If you want a film purely focused on learning the language I recommend The Miracle Worker (1962), which is hard to top in that category, and is based on real case as well. The acting is simply brilliant.

Arrival, however, is not only about the sci-fi concept and story. It is also about the cinematography, pacing, and Adams' performance which were all pretty flawless. This is a very well directed film by Villeneuve no matter what you wanted the script to be.

If the film would have been only about learning the language then it would have been more like fantasy fiction instead of science fiction, an 'Independence Day' of sorts.

Oh really? So does that make 'Contact' a fantasy film? Contact was intriguing because of the part of interpreting an alien message. They start analysing the message and then one clue leads to another and then another and all within the paradigm of scientific possibilities.

Arrival did nothing. It straight away fed you with some fair tale fantasy logic of foreseeing future and ending with a nonsensical decision made by a character.

Oh really? So does that make 'Contact' a fantasy film? Contact was intriguing because of the part of interpreting an alien message. They start analysing the message and then one clue leads to another and then another and all within the paradigm of scientific possibilities.

You missed the point, regardless of your superior IQ...

The point is that if a film is only about linguistic problems then it lacks the true science fiction element - it would be a film about linguistics in fantasy environment.

Both Contact and Arrival have more than that though. Arrival has 'time travel' and Contact has travel through wormholes. Those are science fiction concepts while linguistics is not.

Aliens landing is the fiction part, a magical language that rewires our brain is the fantasy part, see the diffrence? The key thing here being science, which Contact did well and this did not.

You don't understand the difference between science fiction and fiction.

Science fiction consists of what can be -however unlikely it is to exist with current knowledge.
Fantasy is what can't logically exist.
The alien language giving the ability to transcend time and see future, past and present as one is fantasy. There is no basis in reality for such a thing.
Whereas the aliens landing is sci-fi. Cause odds are there are aliens out there and as unlikely as it they will visit us due to the size of space, it is something that could happen.
If ya just got to combine both elements in the movie, the. It would be fantasy, since the language was such a big part of it.
Back in the day, when there was a sci-fi story with lots of impossible stuff in it. It was referred to a science fantasy.
Reckin that is as good a description as any.

Villeneueve has a talent for making emotionally complicated films, I think Blade Runner is a great fit. I didn't like this movie, but the problem was the story and writer, not the director.

Also, You don't need to be rude about it.

At least its not unrealistic comedy crap like The Martian was. Honesty, any movie that tries to be serious and thoughtful like Arrival or Interstellar always gets labelled pretentious. Its actually laughable that people have forgotten the meaning of the word.

I agree, I watched it with a group of people and two of them have actually been in movies , one of them fell asleep and the other one decided to become our bartender LOL He thought it best we get a little drunker to finish the movie.

We had a screener copy of the film because they are in SAG? I think? Don't know that much about it.

I love a good thought provoking movie, I like it when they leave some of it up to the individual to ponder what it means. But this whole movie was that.

I loved Interstellar, one of my favorite films ever. This movie should not be compared to Interstellar.

unrealistic comedy crap like The Martian

Unrealistic? Are you in your sense? Do you know who wrote 'The Martian'? It was closest possible realistic Sc-Fi movie with smart comic reliefs to have the audience relaxed from the continuous science concepts the movie dealt with.

Your statement about The Martian alone proves your natural inability to acknowledge intelligent fact like how Arrival was a fairy tale fantasy tale drivel with no backing on scientific possibilities.

The Martian was completely corny and unrealistic.

People like you make me laugh, because you come to places like this to rant about "pseudo-intellect" and "pretentiousness", yet usually you're obviously the ones who think that you possess some sort of genius that elevates you above the rest of us, all while ranting like a person who doesn't have two brain cells to rub together.

Why don't you take your arrogant, superior attitude and your deluded self-image somewhere else.

Unrealistic? Are you in your sense? Do you know who wrote 'The Martian'? It was closest possible realistic Sc-Fi movie with smart comic reliefs to have the audience relaxed from the continuous science concepts the movie dealt with.

The Martian won the Golden Globes for Best Comedy or Musical, so.

The Martian won the Golden Globes for Best Comedy or Musical, so.

Another display of lousy IQ.

So in order to be nominated for Golden Globes, the movie has to be solely a comedy and comedy only, right? Despite knowing that The Martian was relying heavily on Science (assuming you saw the movie), your argument shows how desperate & foolish you are.

No wonder, Arrival must have pampered your feeble little mind.

I'll agree with you. This movie has a lot of really silly things in it that people are giving a pass on. And it tries to go for a kind of self-importance that it just doesn't earn. That ending in particular in really contrived.

Trying to create a channel based on interpreting, reviewing, and even giving you something to laugh about film. Hope you enjoy what you see. Thanks in advance.

Review of the film here-https://youtu.be/pOjLw_fK6pU

Funnily enough, you sound "pretentious" making stupid posts like that.

We get it you hate for the sake of hating. Its what fuels your existence. Hate less, live longer. Isnt that the whole point.

You're a cancerous *beep* stain.

Post deleted

Agree.

This film is not good as an intelligent sci-fi but i see it as durable as a feel good film for people who think its intelligent,had it went into the language part with the..ya know,linguist it focuses on i probably would've liked it.

After Oscars this will be forgotten soon.He will destroy Blade Runner

In find it funny that people who loved Interstellar say that Arrival is a bad movie and everyone who liked Arrival is pretentious.

Now I enjoyed a good chunk of Interstellar, but it's an incredibly uneven movie which did not really know what it wanted to be. Had they stuck with the original screenplay, the movie would have played as a straight 70s-80s Trek-like sci-fi story and it would be great. But Nolan decided to infuse fantasy-like ending there with the bookshelves and dimensions...

Now Arrival also is more like science fantasy movie than what I call Trek-like science fiction. Meaning it relies on mind games and "premonitions" more than gadgets and more or less successful technobabble. But that does not immediately means that the movie sucks or it is not science fiction. Maybe it's not your type of science fiction, but at least it is consistent in what it wants to be and executes from 1st to last minute. I also did not find it Earth shattering, but AS A MOVIE, MAYBE NOT AS YOUR EXPERIENCE OF THE MOVIE it is much more solid than Interstellar which solidly executed its old school (in the best sense of the word) sci-fi plot when suddenly it decided to go all profound and deal in some atrocious dialogue and fantasy bookshelves... I mean, you can't possibly defend the "love" monologue starting from 0:21 in the video below, in a *beep* sci-fi movie which until that had played as a straight good old-timey gadget sci-fi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Brm4g4HPU

Martian was amazing also because it too knew what it wanted to be, nothing more, nothing less. If the main character would have cracked jokes for half a movie and then started to have monologues about God and universe and have visions of bookshelves before pissing on his "potato field" to have some moisture reclaimed, I would not enjoy it as much too. I mean- you need to understand what kind of a movie it will be. The first few minutes should set the tone. Arrival did that, while Interstellar showed us chasing a drone and dealing in gravitational anomaly... - so I did not expect that the endgame would be main character wandering around bookshelves after getting sucked into black hole. It would be perfect ending for a movie like Arrival, not Interstellar.

Post deleted

CockCatcher, we know you consider Prawnetheus a MASTERPIECE. No wonder you have a deficient brain to understand the vastly superiority of a movie such as this one.

It's just way too much for your lonely brain cell to take.

"I see you try, I see you fail
Some things will never change"

Post deleted

Post deleted

Agree Arrival is cliche and boring.

Overrated by pseudo-intellects and pretentious nerds

Or people who just love science fiction and enjoy different things than you do when it comes to the films they see. Basically, the very essence of subjectivity.

Still Shooting With Film!

Frankly, I don't think humans would even TRY to talk to anything that looks like that.

If humans think trying to talk to dolphins, apes, or other non-human citizens of Earth is a waste of time just because humans don't think they look smart enough (ie, too hairy, not primatey enough), why would they deign to talk to space octopi? Unless those space octopi were threatening, and they HAD TO. But humans are just too stupid to think outside their own human mental box. Humans would NEVER be able to talk to aliens.

Noam Chomsky would be the first one denying them language, too, just like he knee-jerk denies apes language. He loves turd whirdlers, but hates apes. I hate Chomsky.

So you think humans would be like "Hey look, intelligent space octopi, with science and technology way more advanced than ours, who can build huge, hovering, teleporting craft, control gravity and experience non-linear time! Yeah, let's not talk to THEM."

Seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/gallifreyeantrailers

I agree that the film is stupid and overrated.
And so are comments from imdb users who bash other people's "IQs", as if suggesting they possess some kind of superior intelligence.
Really, no one cares.

Post deleted

Post deleted