Star Wars: The Force Awakens : If Luke was Rey (a.k.a. The ANH "Mary Sue" Rewrite)

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: If Luke was Rey (a.k.a. The ANH "Mary Sue" Rewrite)

And why does this girl who's supposedly been scavenging out a rugged existence alone her entire life on a backwater planet speak in a perfectly posh accent?
But couldn't that be attributed to extensive contact with Max Von Sydow's character? O, wait. Right, it wasn't established in the movie that he and Rey ever actually even met. Very interesting. O, well.

Bravo sir.

This post should be IMDB's first stickied topic.

THE MOST ORIGINAL YOUTUBE CHANNEL YOU'RE NOT WATCHING:
http://bit.ly/1pPzoBc

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

Well done! Love it!!!

Great post, I give it 👍👍

Indeed.

---
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing .

I hate this word but that was....EPIC.

I hate this word but that was....EPIC.
I know, right?

My compliments

Great critique... except that most of what you are taking issue with is plot and not character.

The singular element of character most of your criticism runs to is her degree of power with the Force.

If you approach the story believing that her backstory will eventually be revealed to have included extensive Jedi training - not just paling around with Uncle Ben, but actual formal training - then that singular issue goes away.

So, while I agree with you wholeheartedly that a lot of what happens plotwise in the film is pretty thin, bordering on stupid, I don't agree that Rey's character was a Mary Sue.

Mary Sue deals with the character and character interaction. The fact that everyone in the movie loves her is a big part of her Mary Sue-ness. You also can't ignore the polished skill set in other areas, droid language, alien language, fixing ships, piloting, climbing. Pretty good for a "nobody."

Colonel Miles Quaritch is like some sort of...non...giving-up...army guy!

---

well said

this thread should be pinned to this board

Giving another bump. I suggest we each check in daily.

THE MOST ORIGINAL YOUTUBE CHANNEL YOU'RE NOT WATCHING:
http://bit.ly/1pPzoBc

This Luke actually sounds far more interesting and compelling than Rey. That's not a sexist thing either.

I'm not sure why. Isn't he pretty much the same as Rey here?

True. Maybe it is a sexist thing. My desire is not win another man over by saving his life. My desire is to be knight in shining armor for a girl. If a girl like Rey doesn't need saving....

Perhaps the thing with Rey that makes it a bit more unbearable is the fact there is a blatantly deliberate real life ideological propaganda behind it.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
#NotmyStarWars
http://y2u.be/23IcvTasvLo

Excellent . I will save this.

Nice.

---

awesome

Great post Jedi Jones!

Affirmative!

---

This needs to be kept alive forever.

DISNEY can't be trusted!

Post deleted

Great post

Fine emotion.

---

bump

Ha hs

Bump for great justice!

Till the very end.

---

AAaaand .... bump!

This the greatest post ever on IMDB, and probably the greatest thing that will be posted here.

---

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

That's a good summary of TFA.

It's my signature. I've found it to be quite apt in describing any number of situations.

---

Post deleted

Post deleted

This the greatest post ever on IMDB, and probably the greatest thing that will be posted here.
You realize you're only driven to express that because no other topic addresses as widespread of misconceived praising/loving of a deeply flawed work of art or system, right? There have probably been a few greater posts on more important topics in the past.

And another bump.

This seems to makes some good points, but I'd have to rewatch the movie to see if I think Rey was a "mary sue" as so many swear she was (I disagree, but her characterization could have used work.)

Offhand:

"*Luke steals R2-D2 from a Tusken Raider on a Bantha who has captured R2-D2. The Tusken just watches and rides away. "

Yeah, aside from how there was an armed group way out in a canyon, the character Rey took BB8 from was a child-sized character on a slow, lumbering beast. He wasn't really threatening.

"*Luke can understand everything R2-D2 says. C-3PO is written out since he's not needed to translate."

Knowing droid language isn't uncommon in Star Wars. Or alien languages. Many different beings lived at the camp and passed through.

"*They sneak into the back door of the Death Star unnoticed and somehow instantly find Leia's cell."

Didn't they find her crawling on a wall on her own and in a vulnerable position? I mean she escaped on her own, but...

"*Luke attacks Darth Vader and holds his own. He drops his saber but he is able to Force grab it before Vader can. (First time Force grab is seen in the movie.) Vader offers to train Luke. Luke lands several blows on Vader and cuts off his hand while remaining unscathed and Vader collapses in a heap. But there is an explosion that ruptures the platform between them and Luke must join Leia, Chewie and R2 back on the Falcon. "

Well ignoring how Kylo Ren isn't as powerful as Vader and was seriously injured and had just murdered his father and was highly unstable throughout the movie, and when Luke grabbed his lightsaber (and it possibly wasn't even the first time) he was upside down in a freezing cave and seriously injured (and was able to lop off the wampa's arm with no issue), and uhh... Rey never decapitated Kylo.

"*Luke officially joins the Rebellion at the end of the movie and is instantly selected to pilot a ship on a vital mission they've been waiting years to do. Their best pilot who just blew up the Death Star, Wedge, is passed over."

She was selected because she was shown to be a force sensitive. And her connection to Luke. Why would Poe be chosen?

And really, from the outset, you kind of explain why Rey is so adept in ways:

"*Luke is an expert survivalist living on his own in Tatooine. He isn't subservient to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. He loyally waits for a lost companion to return. "

Rey wasn't really survivalist living on her own, since she relied on handouts at the camp. But don't you think this harsher, more demanding existence lent her towards some of her prowess? Nevermind what's to be revealed in sequels and how her past likely has further explanation?

Keep circlejerking over this is as the ultimate takedown though.

Didn't the little guy on the big beast have any weapons to protect his stash? I think he had a big stick. Jawas are tiny but there's no way they would've let someone steal a droid from them. They'd blast their ass.

Humans talking to Astromech droids is almost non-existent before TFA. I think someone had an example from the PT but I don't remember. Luke was around droids his whole life on the farm it looked like and still couldn't speak Astromech language.

They find Rey and Phasma instantly on this Death Star that is 10 times as big as the original. It screams coincidences, bad writing, weak screenplay, poor plot, etc.

Vader lost his Mustafar duel to Obi-Wan, suffered huge injuries, and probably hadn't had a lightsaber fight in decades since all the Jedi were dead. Yet he defeats Obi-Wan and Luke in battle. Whatever weak points Kylo Ren had, doesn't Rey have them exponentially more, having never used a lightsaber before?

Luke Force grabbing the lightsaber is a logical extension of how he moved the proton torpedoes into the exhaust port in ANH. He was about to die and had no other option but to try to reach for the saber so he was desperate. And Obi-Wan could've easily mentioned some of these potential abilities to Luke offscreen in ANH.

What connection to Luke are you talking about? Rey has no connection to Luke. The movie AFAIK doesn't even show her telling anyone in the Resistance she's Force-sensitive. One of the things you Team Rey guys tell us Team Mary Sue people is that she was not a great pilot and almost wrecked the Falcon in her first flight. So why the Hell would she lead this mission instead of Poe? Especially when Poe was the one who was sent to get the last piece of the map on Jakku AND did what Luke did in ANH to blow up Starkiller base. Why is this punk Rey taking the job that should be rightfully Poe's or any other number of experienced pilots? At least throw in a scene to explain why Poe can't go, have him get injured in the Starkiller fight or something.

No, Rey's living alone on Jakku doesn't explain her mastery of the Force, beating the big bad villain, being liked by everybody and promoted up the ranks of the Resistance at top speed. In fact her poverty seems to make it less likely than Luke that she'd have access to practice piloting ships or interact with droids.