Classic TV: The 50s : The Twilight Zone

The Twilight Zone

I saw two episodes of "The Twilight Zone" last week and one of them really freaked me out. I thought that I was going to have nightmares from watching it, but I didn't. The show was really well done, from what I could see.

~~
Jim Hutton: talented gorgeous hot hunk; adorable as ElleryQueen; SEXIEST ACTOR EVER

Re: The Twilight Zone

And so what?

Sacred bats don't leave dead ibises under the portrait of the Cabbage of Celestial Increase.

What were the episodes?

The one with Jim Hutton was the one with the three astronauts. This is the one that I found very spooky.

The one with David Wayne is the one that's kind of similar to "The Picture of Dorian Gray": he sells his soul for immortality.

~~
Jim Hutton: talented gorgeous hot hunk; adorable as ElleryQueen; SEXIEST ACTOR EVER

Just a coincidence those are the two actors from Ellery Queen? LOL

Another good episode is "The Midnight Sun" from the third season and that features a bit with Tom Reese who played Sgt. Velie on Ellery Queen.

Not a coincidence. I wanted to see both of them in the Twilight Zone episodes.

Thanks for the heads up on "The Midnight Sun".

~~

I don't remember the name of the episode or details of the TWILIGHT ZONE that gave me nightmares as a kid, but it was something about a guy(?) who has his eyes bandaged. At the end, when he takes the bandage off, all the nice people around him he has been talking to (doctors and nurses?) have PIG FACES!! That scared the living ---- out of me! What episode was it?

<<<I don't remember the name of the episode or details of the TWILIGHT ZONE that gave me nightmares as a kid, but it was something about a guy(?) who has his eyes bandaged.

a girl.

<<< At the end, when he takes the bandage off, all the nice people around him he has been talking to (doctors and nurses?) have PIG FACES!! That scared the living ---- out of me! What episode was it?

"Eye of the Beholder"

or ssomething like that.

That was Donna Douglas from The Beverly Hillbillies. It was believed that this gorgeous lady was hideous and that she should have plastic surgery so as to not be an outsider.

That was indeed a TZ episode, entitled A Most Unusual Camera. The one that freaked me out as a child was The After Hours with Anne Francis.

But throughout it all, my motto was "Dignity! Always dignity!".

I loved that episode! The camera had a picture of the lady who had been thrown out of the high-rise window, while the lady was still in the apartment. Her expression was priceless. The same actress played one of the 2 floosies that dated Andy and Barney on The Andy Griffith Show.

A number of stars appeared on “The Twilight Zone” before they were famous. Robert Redford (“Nothing In The Dark,” Jan 5, 1962), Lee Marvin, Inger Stevens (“The Hitchhiker,” Aug 12, 1960, scared the life outta me), Jack Klugman and Cliff Robertson (“The Dummy,” May 4, 1962) among them.

William Shatner appeared in one of the show’s most remembered stories, “Nightmare At 20,000 Feet” (Oct 11, 1963), teleplay by Richard Matheson from his short story.

A few other of my favorites

“The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street”
“What You Need”
“Time Enough At Last”
“I Shot An Arrow Into The Air”
“Long Distance Call” (another that scared me-as-a-child silly)
“Eye Of The Beholder”
“It’s A Good Life”

I never cared for most of the season of one-hour episodes.

Rod Serling came back in the early ‘70s with “Night Gallery” – a one-hour series that might have two to three stories during each time slot. It’s pilot has three great stories. “The Cemetery” – with a knockout chill-bump ending, “The Eyes” – Joan Crawford starring and, in his very first major assignment as a director, Steven Spielberg, and “The Escape Route” starring Richard Kiley. Very worthwhile for anyone who wants more Twilight Zone.

BTW, for those to whom detailed points of law are important, “The Twilight Zone” premiered on October 2, 1959, meaning that it only existed as Classic TV-The 50s for just three months. But it is such a good – and important! – series, that I am going to let you go with a not-so-stern warning.

mf

If a legitimate thought occurs, a RepublicanÂ’s mind is able to shut the whole thing down.

A number of stars appeared on “The Twilight Zone” before they were famous. Robert Redford (“Nothing In The Dark,” Jan 5, 1962), Lee Marvin, Inger Stevens (“The Hitchhiker,” Aug 12, 1960, scared the life outta me), Jack Klugman and Cliff Robertson (“The Dummy,” May 4, 1962) among them.

That can be said of pretty much for any tv show, including soap operas. A few years ago, I started to spot now famous stars on the original Law & Order. One day I was watching a L&O episode and almost missed Philip Seymour Hoffman.

You mentioned Robert Redford - Encore Suspense "The Alfred Hitchcock Show" has an episode with Gig Young and RR (1962).

While the majority of the TZ 1/2 hour shows were awesome, my favs are the one with the woman on the horse chasing after herself, the actress who comes home and saves the towns people from being killed by a plane crash at a community event, both Billy Mumy's (cornfield and the phone) and the mannequins with Anne Francis.

I still can't watch them without getting spooked.