Classic TV: The 50s : Make Room For Daddy the first long running sitcom with a step family?

Make Room For Daddy the first long running sitcom with a step family?

This is one of my very favorite shows of the 50s/60s. And I know it didn't start out as a blended family but by S5 it was, and I was wondering if "Make Room for Daddy"/"The Danny Thomas Show" was the first sitcom that lasted more than 100 eps with a blended family?

(I realize that by the time the series ended it was almost never mentioned by then that they were a blended family.)

If it's not, does anyone know what other sitcoms there were prior to this (the 1957/1958 TV season)? And were there any other short-lived sitcoms before "Make Room For Daddy" that had a blended family?

Re: Make Room For Daddy the first long running sitcom with a blended family?

It's certainly the first one that I recall. And, they did it gradually, with a realistic sequence of circumstance. The other shows (at least the ones I recall), had the set-up of families brought together from the beginning, and explained the history in the script.

In the early seasons Jean Hagen played Danny's wife, Margaret. She was written out of the script, her character dying. (I've heard that she wanted more money than they were willing to pay, and she quit...also, that she developed a drinking problem. I don't know if either of those is the case.)

"Danny Williams," was a single father for a time, then he married Marjorie Lord to achieve the blended family.

Re: Make Room For Daddy the first long running sitcom with a blended family?

step family