Classic TV: The 50s : What is the first TV series you remember watching

Re: What is the first TV series you remember watching

The Japanese kami-kaze attacks on the 1952 series "Victory at Sea"had a tremendous affect on my 5 year-old psyche.

Probably The Mickey Mouse Club, then Howdy Doody, then Superman, then Waterfront. That's a long time ago but I think that's about it.

I'm not sure of the order in which they happened, but my earliest memories are of:

Milton Berle
I Remember Mama
Meet Mr. McNulty with Ray Milland
The Kate Smith Afternoon Show and it's signature song, "When the Moon Comes Over
The Mountain"
Howdy Doody
Pinky Lee
Henry Aldrish
Meet Corlis Archer
The Big Story
The news with John Cameron Swayze
Pinky Lee (simulataneously doing an afternoon kids show & evening adult show)
The Hit Parade
Your Show of Shows

Hot on these programs heels were:
Winky Dink and You
Search for Tomorrow
Mighty Mouse cartoon on Sat. Mornings
I Love Lucy
I Led Three Lives
Dragnet

The Untouchables was the first series I watched. I remember as a kid being alarmed at the way Eliot Ness played by Robert Stack slapped people around. It led me to the conclusion that FBI men were just about as bad as the gangsters. The character played by Robert Stack seemed to be a heartless guy willing to do almost anything to get what he wanted. I watched the show and thought Eliot Ness was no better than Al Capone or Dutch Schultz. Later I read Eliot Ness's family said the real Ness was nothing like the cold character portrayed by Robert Stack. Nice to find that out.

"50, count 'em 50, ambassadors will definitely appear at the peace conference."

I remember plenty of kiddie shows, but the first night-time series I recall watching in its original run was THE SHIRLEY TEMPLE STORYBOOK THEATRE.

"I'm not afraid, Mother. I'm not afraid."

The first show I remember was "Ding Dong School" a daily morning show for kids hosted by "Miss Frances", a nice 60-ish lady. I think this was even before "Captain Kangaroo" started, mid-'50s.

I'm choosing more than one: Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Dress Up, I Love Lucy reruns, and The Real McCoys reruns.

Vague memories of Ben Casey and The Ghost & Mrs. Muir

The Jetsons

The Beverly Hillbillies

Hazel

The Monsters

Dragnet & Racket Squad and many more.

Not sure which was first

My earliest memories are of:
I Love Lucy
The Life of Riley
Gunsmoke
December Bride
Oh Susannah (The Gale Storms Show)
Jack Benny
The Gary Moore Show
Highway Patrol

"You can't send a kid like this up in a crate like that on a night like tonight!"

Howdy Dowdy

The first television series I remember watching in the fifties is The Mickey Mouse Club. The serials they aired each week were some of my favorites including The Hardy Boys and Spin and Marty.

Belphegor, Le fantasme du Louvre (1965).

The Howdy Doody Show.

I had the chance to work with Michael Jackson who was as brilliant as they come.
Tommy Mottola

When I was 5 years old, I used to wake up dead in the morning to watch the cartoon block that started at 6PM. The very first show was the Mighty Mouse/Heckle and Jeckle hour, followed by Scooby Doo, which I watched fanatically.

Another series I watched like crazy was The Magic Garden, a local show that featured two hippie-ish women, Paula and Carole, who sang children's songs and would tell jokes and dress up in costume. They sure don't make children's shows like they used to!

And of course, there was Sesame Street.

---
Emojis=💩 Emoticons=

Anyone remember FILES OF EDDIE DRAKE? As I <dimly> recall, he rode around L.A. in a *three wheel car; circa 1952.

A great "lost" show that is wonderful to remember. (Except it was the CASES of Eddie Drake.) Only 8 episodes were produced. Four were filmed by CBS but never broadcast there. They were sold to the DuMont network who ran them and produced four episodes of their own. All shows ran between March 6 and May 29, 1952.

The car - according to Wikipedia - was a 3-wheeled 1948 Davis D-2 Divan. Thanks for mentioning this show.

Here's a Davis D-2 Divan:

http://www.examiner.com/article/1948-davis-divan-3-wheels-4-across-seating-1-jailed-ceo

mf

Trust me. I’m The Doctor.