Classic TV: The 50s : Favorite Jungle Series

Favorite Jungle Series

Ramar of the Jungle (1952). Syndicated. 1952-1953. Jon Hall was Dr. Tom Reynolds who worked in the jungles of Kenya and India. (“Ramar” was an honorary name.)

Sheena: Queen of the Jungle (1955). Syndicated. 1955. Irish McCalla donned a leopard skin (and launched many a young boy’s first actress crush) as the title character in this one-season, 26 episode series filmed in Mexico.

Jungle Jim (1955). Syndicated. 1955. After Johnny Weissmuller, the movies’ most famous Tarzan, started to get a little on the heavy side, he moved to Columbia Studios who put clothes on him and called him Jungle Jim. The result was a 16-film series of theatrical programmers between 1948 & 1956 and this one-season TV program. Weissmuller had invested in the Jungle Jim series which earned him a small fortune.

All three of these series were strictly for the kiddie set on Saturday mornings.

Any discussion, memories, or other jungle favorites of ‘50s TV is welcome.

mf

Trust me. I’m The Doctor.

Re: Favorite Jungle Series

Ramar of the Jungle

Have never seen Ramar(but I could be wrong, just don't remember).
I have 16episodes of Sheena on dvd.
Love Jungle Jim have complete tv series and also all of the movies and also all of Weissmuller's Tarzan movies.

Ramar is the only one of the three that I remember watching. I preferred the African episodes over the Indian. The only episode I still remember in any detail had 2 Bengal Tigers escape captivity in Africa and Ramar had to re-capture them.
One Tiger fought a python and the other fought a Water Buffalo in pretty good stock footage.

Have not seen them.

"Jungle Jim" I see when looking though old Australian TV schedules. It was among the first American series to be shown here. In Melbourne it was first shown 9 November 1956 at 6:30PM, preceded by The Judy Jack Show (1956) and followed by the news. I assume it was already being shown in Sydney.

"Ramar of the Jungle" began being shown in Sydney on 7 December 1956 at 6:30PM, preceded by kiddie show "Captain Fortune" (which did not debut in 1959, despite what IMDb says), and followed by At Seven on 7 (1956). It likely came to Melbourne at a slighter later date (Sydney and Melbourne were the only two cities in Australia with television prior to 1959)

"Sheena: Queen of the Jungle" began being shown here in 1958.

Also shown here were various BBC documentaries on Africa and such, and various documentaries on other "primitive" places. There was also an obsession by the public broadcasting stations (ABN-2 in Sydney and ABV-2 in Melbourne) with programming about "Malay", a place which was all over the news at the time.

The Johnny O'Keefe doll...wind it up and it makes a comeback

As a little girl, I identified with Sheena. And, yes, I wanted to wear that costume. But, I remember more about the episodes of "Jungle Jim," and "Raymar."

I don't remember all of them being on Saturday mornings. Somehow, I think of them being on during the late weekday afternoon ... the other "kiddie ghetto" ... along with "Howdy Doody," "Beany and Cecil," (hand-puppet version), and "Crusader Rabbit." That was in San Francisco. Various markets probably aired them at different times.

My favorite was a black and white syndicated wild animal documentary show called Wild Cargo, which featured Arthur Jones who later became famous for inventing the Nautilus exercise equipment.

Jones was an excellent low-key narrator and there was some striking film.

Of the fiction shows, Ramar seemed to be in syndication almost forever, so I remember it rather well. Lots of stock footage. Jon Hall and the supporting would walk past a potted plant and then Ramar would point toward the camera and they would cut to whatever animals footage they were featuring. Crude, but it was fun for us kids.

There was a Sunday morning show, I think on WNBT, New York, called Time for Adventure which showed clips of Frank "Bring 'em Back Alive" Buck movies in serial format. I asked about this show in the Need To Know category back in September. No answers yet. If you asked Ramar "Who's your Daddy?", he'd have to say "Frank Buck".

I tried to help you track down “Time for Adventure” but was not successful. The comprehensive guide to TV programs, Alex McNeil’s Total Television had no entry for the title. It had only one index entry for Buck and that was a 1982 fictional series starring Bruce Boxleitner as Frank Buck.

I took your use of the word “serial” literally. In 1937, Buck appeared as an actor (his character name was Frank Hardy) in a 15-chapter cliffhanger serial from Columbia Studio. In 1946 it was edited down to feature length and released as “Jungle Terror.” I tried to find some TV connection using those movies as search terms, but again came up empty.

So I turned to Frank Buck’s contemporary in the Wild Animal Capture Game, Clyde Beatty. Beatty acted in two cliffhangers: “The Lost Jungle” (1934, Mascot) and “Darkest Africa” (1936, Republic). I ran the same searches for these films as well. There are no entries for Beatty in Total Television.

So unless you can dredge some other memory up from your subconscious, it seems like a dead end.

mf

Trust me. I’m The Doctor.

@MikeF-6, Thanks for your efforts, and the name Clyde Beatty. He was also on TV in the early 50s, possibly even on Time for Adventure. Lost Jungle complete is available here at imdb and on youtube.

Time for Adventure

Could you be thinking of I Search for Adventure? It was a documentary series in the mid-50s. I haven't been able to find a complete episode guide, but it ran the kind of stuff that Frank Buck would have made and I wouldn't be surprised if he was in a few episodes.

http://ctva.biz/US/Documentary/JackDouglasDocumentaries_01_ISearchForA dventure.htm

I can't forget the opening of the show every week: An off-camera announcer took a megaphone and a microphone into the men's room and intoned slowly "Time for Adventure!"

It took some doing, but I found it on a TV listing page. No info about the show, just the listing. Sunday, March 16, 1952, was my guess of about the time it would have been on. Good guess. Here is the entire list of morning programs on TV in NY on that date:
9:45 (4) Children's Theatre
10:00 (4) Time for Adventure
10:30 (4) Children's Hour
10:45 (11)Let's Go Places
10:55 (11)TV Chapel
11:45 (4) John Gnagy

The good news is that I should be able to quickly get back to that page which has the complete TV listings for the week of March 16th in case anybody is curious about what else was on.

If you do post the schedule, please post it on my schedule thread:
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000157/nest/215114156

The trouble is I can't print the page or save it. Maybe eventually I'll figure something out but, in the meantime, I'll have to handwrite what I see on the screen and type that as a post. If you have a particular date or time you're interested in, let me know, but transcribing a page of small print is a bit much.

Fair enough. It takes me quite a while to type out a TV listing. If you can give me a link to the page, I could type it out myself.

American TV listings are the hardest because of the longer broadcasting hours (compared to UK and Australia during the 1950s) and the large amount of short-hand used by the newspapers.

UK listings are the easiest...few programming hours during the 1950s (and even 1960s), and fewer stations compared to a place like New York City.

EDIT: I will type out the listing myself. I have nothing better to do. I don't feel like playing video games at the moment, I have already watched a TV episode ("The Jane Froman Show", Bonnie Scotland episode).

The page is available gratis to subscribers to the NY Times. You can buy individual articles if you're not a subscriber. So far, I've been able to print the page, but it's so tiny it's illegible and, if you magnify it, it gets too blurry to read. I'll try to further refine the process tomorrow.

Clicking on your link gets a 404 Error page.

Unfortunately, long links create a lot of trouble on IMDb. IMDb adds spaces and such to them that muck them up. Getting them to work takes a lot of effort.

If you want to see the page, try here:
http://tinyurl.com/ng226wl

A different page on the site mentions that "Uncle Bob" Callan was the emcee of the series you are interested about:
http://tinyurl.com/phge3p2
See section "Talk of the Town on TV seen living up to its name", towards the bottom of the article.

From the sound of it, it seems that it was a local series. For example, an article in one other newspaper mentions that "Uncle Bob Callan, host of the WNBT television program, "Time For Adventure," will be on hand to greet youngsters at Playland":
http://tinyurl.com/mq7jsxw
See article "Steve Allen and Bride at Playland Monday"

However, a TV listing from 1951 mentions Bob Shepard as the "story teller" (see http://tinyurl.com/qdlszaz

<i>Have you played Atari today?[/i]

I actually remember Time for Adventure. I believe the host was Bob Callan. The show ran until 1955 or 1956. Each week there was a serial chapter and a drawing from a drum for a Schwinn Bicycle and two other prizes. The show also had a live kids studio audience.

Smilin' Ed's Gang used to have a segment of Sabu the Elephant Boy. Sabu wore a turban and a loin cloth (or loin clawt, as we called it).

The show you are thinking of was on ABC and called Popcorn Theater. They serialized a Jungle Adventure, a Tom Keene historical western and a couple of other things.

Time for Adventure did show the 12 chapter Lost Jungle serial with Clyde Beatty.

For documentaries: Wild Kingdom.

My sister and I loved Sheena Queen of the Jungle and Jungle Jim.