Classic TV: The 40s : Radio shows they shoulda placed on TV

Radio shows they shoulda placed on TV

PAT NOVAK: Jack Webb's best pre Dragnet shamus. Yeah, I know "Joe Friday" was on the radio before he went to the telly. But, how can you top a really surly, hard boiled, down at the heels chump, who was called "Patsy"?
And those voice overs: "The sky was as dark as a bruised crow." "The street was as deserted as an empty bottle of beer." "Jocko started chasing a jigger of beer with a glass of whiskey." "I had as much chance as a pound of liver at a cat show." "When he hit me I went down like the price of winter wheat."

Novak could be more than a bit snide. To detective Hellman (Raymond Burr): "Wash your hands Hellman, the green still shows!" Then his descriptions:
"I talked to a fat waitress who looked like she should be wearing a harness instead of slacks." Obviously no Phil Marlowe sort; what a guy!

Re: Radio shows they shoulda placed on TV

Can you imagine the fat waitress comment on today's pc tv shows?

Ixnay on the athospay,P.C. A fat dame is poison around the Frisco waterfront.
Patsy likes 'em slim, hot and dangerous. "What a sap she had!"
Looks like winter wheat time again...

"Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" would have been great as well. Bob Bailey was thought too slight at 5'9" 150# to carry it off. Too bad.

There was a "Johnny Dollar" TV pilot that Blake Edwards made in 1962 (the last year of the radio series). I'd like to see it...

LIFE WITH LUIGI - althought they'd have had to get a real Italian to play Luigi.

Like, perhaps, Vito Scotti?

LWL did make it to TV in the 50s with J Carroll Naish. Even as a kid I didn't like the accent for effect humor of shows like this or the Goldbergs but we had one channel. You watched it all.

I remember that Naish played the part on radio. Didn't remember the show being on TV. Must not have lasted very long.

It appears that LWL ran for three episodes between September 1952 and January 1953. I was unlucky enough to see them. Assimilation of immigrants seemed a recurring topic of both radio and early TV. That most TV sets were located in NYC had something to do with that, I suppose.

Life with Luigi was on television ... although we did not have a TV set in 1952, when we visited some people who did have one rather than a console radio I remember seeing an episode of both Life with Luigi and My Friend Irma on their TV, and both shows used the same cast as on radio to the best of my recollection.

The cast of the TV adaptation of LIFE WITH LUIGI can be seen in character in a brief skit in the allstar CBS special STARS IN THE EYE http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1318038/#comment that is available on the inexpensive dvd set THE BEST OF JOHNNY CARSON AND FRIENDS (Carson is not on this 1952 program of course, the dvd set is merely a collection of 1950's variety shows).

I always wondered why there wasn't a Phil Harris and Alice Faye TV series or even just a Phil Harris TV series.

Alice wanted to bring their radio series to TV but Phil didn't want to because he felt that the show would get watered down by the networks to resemble Ozzie and Harriet.

Thanks for the info though that's a shame. I couldn't imagine that show playing like Ozzie and Harriet.

Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.

I'm surprised it took them so long to bring BLONDIE to television, not until 1958 and then they stupidly replaced the irreplacable Penny Singleton as Blondie. She was 50 at the time but she still could have played Blondie with teenaged kids (like the comic strip would later age them) or even just 10-12 year olds, after all there are plenty of women in their late thirties and very early forties with newborns.

Two fantastic radio anthology series that should have been brought to television are THEATRE GUILD and NBC UNIVERSITY THEATER which both did outstanding adaptations of either major plays, novels, or short stories. Perhaps though it would have been too expensive getting the tv rights to those works every week; the authors probably gave the radio shows a break since radio was basically publicity for them but tv adaptations would have possibly cut into motion picture sales rights despite the fact that several acclaimed teleplays were eventually made into motion pictures.

If nothing else, at least "NBC Opera Theatre" came to TV. That it came to TV really surprises me.....Then again late-1940s TV is full of surprises.

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Yeah, like Be-Bop. Sheesh, they say more clubs went belly up than thrived; there were only a *few really good musicians who could play that stuff.

p.s. Anyone here recall when Prez Jimmy Carter sang(?) "Salt Peanuts" with Diz?