Poldark : Wonder how Newdark season 3 will compare to Oldark season 2 SPOILERS

Wonder how Newdark season 3 will compare to Oldark season 2 SPOILERS

I just read "Black Moon," "Four Swans" and "the Angry Tide" then I watched Oldark Season 2 and they did a closer adaption of the books than season one of Newdark did with "Ross Poldark" and "Demelza".

Why that was so shocking was in season 1 Oldark played pretty fast and loose with the material in the books. It makes me wonder if Winston Graham played hardball and refused to give them the rights to the books unless they stuck to the books.

There a few minor changes, but pretty much what happened in the books happens in the series. Some were done because the changes they made in the story for season one didn't jive with books 3-5. Ross was returning from the war [which Ross never went off to in the books, but that's how season one ended]. Then he talks to George about how he threatened to have the miners riot against him which is something he didn't say in season one, but which was something Ross threatened George with near the end of "Warleggan".

And there was certain stuff that couldn't be undone, like burning down Trenwith. Also, in the first season Aunt Agatha wasn't even a character, but she plays a pivotal role in making George realize Valentine isn't his son. And in season one, Caroline decides to rescue Rosina from poverty and makes her her personal maid, so they had to create a new girl for Drake to ask to marry when he's about to finally give up on Morweena.

Then also took some dialogue from the book out that helped to make Ross much more sympathetic in the series than he was in the books. Ross is also way more jealous in the series than he was in the books. They also changed the cemetery scene where Ross runs into Elizabeth. Ross doesn't tell her she was the love of his life, like he did in the books, which kind of made me not feel sorry for him in the least and then grab Elizabeth and start kissing her all over her face. Instead Elizabeth kisses him. And they toned down the scene with Ross letting Caroline give him all these kisses on the mouth, but kept the essence of the Ross/Caroline sexual attraction. All that helped to make me feel really bad for Ross.

They also kind of made Demelza worse in regards to Hugh Armitage than she does in the books. Even after she has sex with him she's still all cozy with him and when he's dying Ross sees her kissing all over his hand which didn't happen in the books. Demelza's relationship with him comes off as being attracted to him because he makes her feel young and she can act young with him like she never got a chance to do when she was young. You definitely don't feel any sympathy for her and she comes off as pretty selfish.

Interesting enough, I didn't hate Ross in season one when he did what he did and didn't hate Demelza for what she did in season 2. They both came off as acts of extreme selfishness on both their parts, but they also still loved each other very much and found their way back to each other.

As I said, I'll be curious to see how Newdark adapts these books, because I did dislike Ross with all those cringe-worthy scenes of Ross just not getting why Demelza was so mad the show made up. I think "Oldark" really set the bar high with their adaption of the three books. It'll be interesting if they continue to play Elizabeth as this simpering little victim looking for love in all the wrong places.

And it's really going to be interesting after this season when Aidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson are going to have to play middle-aged Ross and Demelza with grown children.

Re: Wonder how Newdark season 3 will compare to Oldark season 2 SPOILERS

I just read "Black Moon," "Four Swans" and "the Angry Tide" then I watched Oldark Season 2 and they did a closer adaption of the books than season one of Newdark did with "Ross Poldark" and "Demelza".

Why that was so shocking was in season 1 Oldark played pretty fast and loose with the material in the books. It makes me wonder if Winston Graham played hardball and refused to give them the rights to the books unless they stuck to the books.

That's basically what transpired. I don't have the details on the exact negotiations between author and producers, but it's well-established that Graham was irate about the deviations from his story in Oldark 75, particularly the early depiction of Demelza. When the show became a big international hit, Graham was in the driver's set regarding the manner of additional adaptations of his books.

The two awkward changes that occurred in Oldark 77 episode 1 -- the return of Ross from the army due to illness, and the residence of Aunt Agatha and the Warleggans at "Penrice" -- were corrective measures required by the plot detours of Oldark 75 episode 16.

Series 3 of Newdark covers Black Moon and half of Four Swans, I guess they hope for a commission from the BBC to complete S4 and comlpete the series up to the end of Angry Tide.

So S3 will need to find a climax, maybe they will be make more drama between Demelza and Ross regarding the Hugh situation, as in the books this doesn't really get highlighted until the end of Four Swans when Demelza is just distraught and Ross finally realises that there was something deep between her and Hugh. In a recent interview Eleanor was quick to suggest that Demelza isn't all good, as we will see in S3.

And it's really going to be interesting after this season when Aidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson are going to have to play middle-aged Ross and Demelza with grown children.

The jury is out about that one. We don't know if the series will continue past book 7. Also Ross and Demelza don't really age in a very realistic way. Ross gets a little bit grey around the temples and limps with his ankle injury. Demelza dyes her hair and gets migraines. She looks so young, people start to think that she's Ross' second wife. Also Ross continues to act like a much younger man, like running off to war and impregnating Demelza. I personally think that Winston Graham was hoping that the BBC would do a third series in the mid 80s, and wrote the characters in a way that the original cast could return to play the characters like they'd aged around 10 years from the beginning of the series rather than 25 years. IMO, if Newdark gets that far, I think they'll be fine to do what other dramas are doing with big time skips, like Outlander and Vikings, minimal aging and hiring actors in their late teens or early 20s to play their children.

IMO, if Newdark gets that far, I think they'll be fine to do what other dramas are doing with big time skips, like Outlander and Vikings, minimal aging and hiring actors in their late teens or early 20s to play their children.

Henry VIII was king from 1509 to 1547. The series The Tudors covered his reign starting in about 1520. Henry (played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers) hardly appeared to age at all from that time until his death. He didn't even get fat. He just complained more and more often about aches and ailments.

The jury is out about that one. We don't know if the series will continue past book 7.

It doesn't make sense to me that the BBC would commission a new adaption of Poldark but then stop with the end of The Angry Tide. I realize that series 2 of the new adaptation wasn't the best but then again for me at least I didn't much care for the book Warleggan. The books The Black Moon, The Four Swans and The Angry Tide were a lot better and I am looking forward to series 3 and I think that we will get series 4. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will be well received and people will want to see what happens to John Conan Osborne Whitworth and Drake and Morwenna's marriage.