Poldark : Season Three Short Trailer (SPOILERS)

Season Three Short Trailer (SPOILERS)

Pretty neat we have this little season three trailer even though there isn't really all that much given away. This is from Mammoth Screen's Twitter page.

https://twitter.com/mammothscreen/status/795612114882875393

Re: Season Three Short Trailer (SPOILERS)

Who are all the teenagers running around in the trailer for Season 3??

On the beach? I believe it must be Drake, Morwenna, and Geoffrey Charles in the front.

looks too old for Geoffrey Charles as it shows Liz pregnant although it could be showing clips from the later episodes, who are Drake and Morwenna??

Definitely Geoffrey Charles, Drake and Morwenna 😄

Drake is Demelza's youngest brother; Morwenna is Elizabeth's cousin - George employs her as governess to Geoffrey Charles. Her father was the late Dean Chynoweth, her mother has little or no money and three daughters to care for (Garlanda, Morwenna and Rowella). Elizabeth suggests Morwenna as governess to stave off George sending Geoffrey Charles away to school. Morwenna and Drake meet and fall in love, much to the ire of Elizabeth and George - George arranged for her to be married to the odious Reverend Osborne Whitworth ... and much happens thereafter

Were those common names back then or was WG making them up as he went? Clowance????

Even Jud doesn't understand "Clowance." He gripes that the Poldarks have named their girl Clarence.

Demelza and Warlegan are Cornish place names. I'm not sure about Morwenna, but there was a character named Morwenna on Doc Martin (set in Cornwall in this decade). Apparently a number of children have been named for Poldark characters since the 1970s.

Drake looks like a real cutie (as he should) and Sam is sweet-looking too. Looking forward to s3. Have they cast Emma Tregirls yet? (Don't Sting and Trudie have a daughter the right age?)

St Morwenna - from wikipedia

Morwenna
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the saint. For the actress, see Morwenna Banks.
Saint Morwenna
Church Window at St Morwenna and St John the Baptist's - geograph.org.uk - 413334.jpg
A stained glass window at the Church of St Morwenna (with her depicted in the bottom-left)
Died 6th century
Canonized Pre-Congregation
Feast 8 July
Patronage Morwenstow, Cornwall, England
Morwenna is the eponymous patron saint of Morwenstow, a civil parish and village in north Cornwall, UK. Her name is thought to be cognate with Welsh morwyn "maiden".[1]

Morwenna first appears in a 12th-century life of Saint Nectan that lists her alongside Endelient, Mabyn and Menfre (among many others) as a daughter of the Welsh king Brychan.[2]

She was trained in Ireland before crossing over to Cornwall. Morwenna made her home in a little hermitage at Hennacliff (the Raven’s Crag), afterwards called Morwenstow (meaning "Morwenna's holy-place"). It stands near the top of a high cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, where the sea is almost constantly stormy, and from where, in certain atmospheric conditions, the coast of Wales can be seen. She built a church there, for the local people, with her own hands. It is said that she carried the stone on her head from beneath the cliff and where she once stopped for a rest, a spring gushed forth to the west of the church. [3]

Early in the sixth century, while she lay dying, her brother, St. Nectan, came to see her, and she asked him to raise her up so that she might look once more on her native shore. She was buried at the church in Morwenstow.[3]

A painting was later found on the north wall of the Morwenstow church, thought to represent St. Morwenna. It shows a gaunt female clasping a scroll to her breast with her left hand; the right arm is raised in blessing over a kneeling monk.[3]

A local saint, she is depicted in a stained glass window of the parish church, St Morwenna and St John the Baptist's (Saint John was added as a dedication c. 1275 when the church was given to St John the Baptist's hospital in Bridgwater).[4]

Morwenna of Morwenstow is commonly misidentified with "Marwenne" of Marhamchurch and the patron of Lamorran, a saint "Moren".[2][5]

Morwenna's Well
According to Nicholas Orme, a well in the parish (at SS 198 153) is nowadays associated with her;[2] to the west of the church,' halfway down a precipice' is now alas dry.[6] The Holy Well of St. Morwenna is an English Heritage listed building.[7]

Interesting.

Clowance is also a Cornish place name.

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

I think Clowance is a lovely name 😃

I think it sounds like the name of someone's cow.

Ha ha! Too funny.
It is an odd name.

Ha ha! Too funny.
It is an odd name

I can honestly say Helen, of NOT Troy (I love that by the way), I have never heard of the name Clowance in my entire life seriously. If they had a twin, they should name it Allowance (I mean Ross will be rich in tin so he could provide a good one at least). I know....soooooo bad. I just simply could not resist. Please tell me Clowance is a boy. LOL!

Clowance is most definitely a girl's name 😄

Clowance is most definitely a girl's name

Really? Poor girl. Maybe I am pronouncing it wrong.

So how is it pronounced? Is it a long "o" sound? Like "Clow" sounds like "glow" or is it pronounced similar to cow?

On Oldark, "Clow" rhymed with "cow."

On Oldark, "Clow" rhymed with "cow."

Thank you! That's what I thought. UGH! Poor girl.

Me too.

Whilst it is a bit later than our period, I did look up the censuses for England and Wales for 1841 - 1911 (which are not totally reliable and I didn't cross check them) to see if they would give any indication whether any of Winston Graham's more unusual names might have been around at the end of the 18th century.

Neither Clowance or Demelza appear at all.

Drake - ranges from 5 (1841) up to 9 (1911) but are evenly spread with no one county dominating. None were in Cornwall.

Morwenna - only appears to became more popular in the 19th century - 1841 (0), 1851 (2), 1861 (0), 1871 (1), 1881 (4), 1891 (3), 1901 (10), 1911 (29). Perhaps not surprisingly most are in the west of England and Wales, although by 1911 there were some as far away as Yorkshire and Northumberland. Cornwall was the dominant county - 9 were actually born in Morwenstow.

There were no Warleggans, despite it being a Cornish place name.

There were no Poldarks. However I am sure I read somewhere that Winston Graham had a friend called Polgreen and he was going to name his main protangonist after him but then changed it to Poldark to better reflect his character and appearance. From 1841 to 1861 the Polgreen/Polgreans were almost exclusive to Cornwall and Devon (except one family in Staffordshire) but by 1911 had spread further out across England and Wales although their stronghold remained Cornwall.

I know, I'm sad, but I like doing this stuff.

Neither Clowance or Demelza appear at all.

Other sources indicate that "Demelza" was never used as a woman's name until after Graham's first set of Poldark novels appeared. When the name did finally show up, it first did so in Britain. Graham literally invented its use as a person's name. This means that every person in the world today named Demelza can trace a piece of her heritage back to Winston Graham.

The name Demelza is a hamlet in the parish of St Wenn, Cornwall and Warleggan is a civil parish on the southern edge of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall.

Right, both were place names originally. Graham brilliantly repurposed them.

I can't wait already for series 3 even though it's going to be another year before it comes out. One thing about series 2 was that the first five episodes were great but then the last five episodes dragged except for the VBT. The reason is because Jeremy Poldark was a great book but for me at least Warleggan was the most boring book out of the first seven books. I liked The Black Moon, The Four Swans and The Angry Tide so I think that series 3 will be more exciting.

I thought the season had more low points than high points but lots of drama (and sadness-hated losing Francis)...which I like. However, I probably liked season one much better than season two...partly because of the VBT and Ross' behavior although Demelza's was kind of wearing on me too. I thought there were several standout episodes though. By the way, there is quite a bit of talk that season three may possibly air in late Spring so we may not be waiting a whole year this time. I sure hope not.

Be cheered, people!!

Since we are already in nearing mid-November, if "late spring" means May,
that is only six months, not a bloomin' year!

A Checkered Life speaks of myriad diverse adventures being the rewards of endless curiosity.