Poldark : A Reason This Show is So Popular--

A Reason This Show is So Popular--

--Aside from Aidan Turner.

Who can't remember, female or male, being dumped or cheated on by a partner obsessed with a lesser character?

I have to relate something that happened just two nights ago. Thanks for indulging me.

In a grocery store, exhausted at the end of the business day, I listened as three young ladies, all overweight (you'll see my reason for mentioning this), two of them, sisters, had a Mansfield Park-like moment. One sister was facially flawless. Like one of Fanny Price's poor London sisters in the Austen novel, she at first tried my patience whining about an XBox gone missing. I do not know what an XBox is.

Her sister broke my heart because of her homeliness. She gamely and in a true sisterly way encouraged the beauty about the XBox loss, which (as my time spent in line would teach me) was not so much a loss as a carrying off by a boyfriend who had given it as a gift to a new girlfriend. The third young lady, a cashier, empathized and totally ignored the people waiting to be checked out as the beauty kept asking out loud why she wasn't good enough, how she could have "kept" him, etc. I started recalling how painful being young and in love could be. I finally spoke up, and said something to the effect that all three girls were very attractive, and that the beauty, who finally ran away because of her upset, should be reminded of exactly how beautiful she was. All three seemed at some level convinced weight was responsible for the cad's rejection--and they were all three just healthy-looking girls whose plumpness was not at all their distinguishing characteristic.

I left the store thinking how glad I am to no longer be vulnerable to assaults against my looks/character/worth because of some damn guy. I also thought of "Poldark." Everyone remembers those early and in some cases life-altering hurts. The show can take scissors to everything about mines, smelting, pitchforks and torches, and just concentrate on the infinitely more horrific subject of having a lover erase one's identity through faithlessness.

Re: A Reason This Show is So Popular--

the hats are pretty cool too.

The food I've liked in my time is American country cookin'-Colonel Sanders 🇺🇸

Who can't remember, female or male, being dumped or cheated on by a partner obsessed with a lesser character?

Not sure how your personal story related to the first sentence I quoted here. I can only say that I think the show is popular because aside from Aidan Turner who is indeed handsome...He has a equally compelling leading lady in Demelza (played masterfully by Eleanor Tomlinson) She is the heart and soul of the series.

Because when he betrayed her (and I the show as it aired on Twitter) the reaction was who cares about Ross, his mines if he's got money again if Demelza the person who has always had his back is hurt his cheating. In her eyes if he has fallen then the character lost all the fans support. She may not be a classic refined beauty such as Elizabeth is but Demelza's beauty is her spirit. IMO Eleanor Tomlinson is absolutely stunning but Demelza is obviously meant to be a more earthy type beauty.

what Jordie?

She may not be a classic refined beauty such as Elizabeth

Eleanor Tomlinson is so breathtakingly beautiful, she could have kept her mangy beggar hair and still be perfect. It's not nice to compare beauty or handsomeness. Heida Reed has the kind of beauty that definitely is model-quality. Maybe people disagree that personality contributes heavily to physical beauty. That's why I made this post and why "Poldark" strains belief, because by any standard of measurement, Demelza outshines Elizabeth. There's not even any contest.