Poldark : KUDOS to Jack Farthing as George Warleggan

KUDOS to Jack Farthing as George Warleggan

Of all the casting excellence, it must be noted that Jack Farthing as George Warleggan does the monster's share of heavy-lifting when it comes to providing a well-measured villain.
Farthing is such a beauty -- in most of his past roles he has been a romantic or heroic prop, but rarely a central player. His villain is complex: insecure, jealous, thin-skinned, and devious. But his quest for Elizabeth is the most knotted.
George seems to really desire her, but there's no doubt he knows it would hurt Ross intensely.
Farthing is delicious, George is despicable, and it makes for a fascinating concoction.

Re: KUDOS to Jack Farthing as George Warleggan

Hello, Vic.

I absolutely agree with you. Jack is excellent at his craft and he is quite handsome. His portrayal of George is equal to Ralph Bates who was the first George W. in 1975-1977. Both men imbued the character with layers of emotion that formed a very complex individual.

After the shipwreck, when Jack walked away from his cousin's body, it was not only the unshed tears, but the tightness in which he held himself as if he might break down in public. I wondered if his unprincipled relation - can't remember his cousin's name - might have been the last person to treat George with some semblance of warmth and affection; perhaps, even with love like a brother. It was the saddest, most poignant scene I can remember with George so far.

I have not watched any of Jack's other work yet, but can imagine that he is just as good.

A Checkered Life speaks of myriad diverse adventures being the rewards of endless curiosity.

Re: KUDOS to Jack Farthing as George Warleggan

He was a convincing John Lennon in Cilla (a terrific biographical drama about British singer Cilla Black).

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.