Poldark : After all Demelza's done for them??!!! The gall

After all Demelza's done for them??!!! The gall

The disgusting rutting between Ross and Elizabeth that took place in S2E8 was disappointing and surprising; though Ross' selfish nature had shone itself before, I thought this level of cruelty to be beyond even him. And Elizabeth, forever priding herself on decorum, to sink so low as to render herself not only a jezebel, but an ingrate after Demelza's altruism during the fever outbreak cost her health and the life of her daughter! How utterly odious!!

"What can I say? It was something I cannot explain... You must see I had no choice."!!!!!! Really??? Did someone stick a pistol in your face and order you to drop trough??? Or is this like the excuse some rapists have given in court "I tripped and fell", the act being not a choice, but an accident simply due to a loss of balance and clothing??? What bad luck! More seriously, that line, and in the context it was delivered, was probably the most offensive line Ross has ever delivered. Having freshly slaked his snake with another woman, he had nothing better to offer?? No apology at all!!!! Incredible.

If the show continues in this pattern, I don't think I can bare watching it... it would be a show championing egotistical, self-serving, jack*sses. I used to desperately desire a happy ending for Ross and Demelza, but Ross no longer deserve such a fortuitous future; I am of the mind, like others have mentioned on here, that Demelza and son end up happily ever after with Dwight -- both being honorable, passionate, and attractive would make a good couple.

Re: After all Demelza's done for them??!!! The gall

that line, and in the context it was delivered, was probably the most offensive line Ross has ever delivered

Ha ha! Wait till you hear his excuses in ep 9. :-D
But the show does not "champion... egotistical, self-serving, jack*sses". Ep 9 is Demelza's episode throughout and I think you'll like it. They do get a happy ending, but Ross won't be let off so easily and so soon.

I'm glad to hear it... I'm just about to watch it... I will update later

Just watched ep9, and honestly it just made me even more despondent. Sure, Demelza's words with Ross were eloquent throughout the episode, but I guess the way you described the episode as

Ep 9 is Demelza's episode throughout and I think you'll like it. They do get a happy ending, but Ross won't be let off so easily and so soon.

gave me hope that Ross becomes, rightfully, outwardly repentant for his actions. Not in this episode. It's difficult for me to see if he ever will. The longer he goes on refusing to display an ounce of contrition, the more he'll have to be repentant for, and the more difficult it will become to right his wrongs to Demelza. For such a seemingly good-natured, and educated chap, Ross sure is an idiot.

Yes, not in ep 9.
In the book, their reconciliation comes six months later, at the end of Warleggan. So I'm guessing in the show it will be towards the end of ep 10.

Oh you wait for episode 9! Watch your blood pressure rise ...

I just started a rant post about Ross and his selfish egotistical behavior! Demelza has sacrificed a lot for him and this is how she is repaid.

Elizabeth is also such a hypocrite - oh thanks for almost dying and having your daughter dying to save me and my family but please now stand aside while I wait for your husband to leave you for me!

If he does not make it up to Delemza and she takes him back she will loose all of my respect as well.

Demelza needs to start shooting practice ... at his head!

Just finished ep9, my blood is boiling!

Ross: 'It is quite possible that Elizabeth's marriage to George will still take place.'
Demelza: 'Well, I'm sure you did your best to stop it.'
Ross: 'No doubt I did.'

!!!!!!!

Who is this uncaring jerk?! A whole episode passes without one single real apology??? My god, his -- unjust -- righteousness knows no bounds! This is honestly painful to watch, such a good person being shat on so profusely by most everyone who claims to care for her. Not sure I can muster watching more of this...

Worst for me was him telling her to just wait until he got over it. Like she should put her life on hold while he waits to see what he wants to do!

Him not going after Elizabeth then not doing anything to sort out the situation with Demelza shows his real colours. I don't think he loves Demelza in any sense!

Elizabeth is also such a hypocrite - oh thanks for almost dying and having your daughter dying to save me and my family but please now stand aside while I wait for your husband to leave you for me!

You know, everyone is dissing Ross and Elizabeth, but I was also shocked by Aunt Agatha's attitude on the show. She also showed no compassion for the predicament of Ross' "scullery maid". Just a very matter-of-fact advice to "let Ross set his house to order first"! Huh?! Since this is probably not from the books, it is from DH's head. Why did she give Aunt Agatha such an attitude. And is Aunt Agatha to be celebrated as a strong feminist or not?

I have no problem with Aunt Agatha.

Sure, her 'scullery maid' comment was cutthroat, but she is a family matriarch trying to keep Trenwith in the family. She doesn't want it falling into the hands of George Warleggen under any circumstances. She knows what a snake he is. No matter how she may feel about Demelza personally, her first loyalty is to the Poldark name and estate.

she is a family matriarch trying to keep Trenwith in the family. She doesn't want it falling into the hands of George Warleggen under any circumstances.

The problem is that having Ross dump Demelza for Elizabeth will prevent the marriage to George, but it won't save Trenwith. The Warleggans have financial control over the estate. In fact, ousting George will only cause the bank to call in all the loans immediately -- no more mercy.

I used to desperately desire a happy ending for Ross and Demelza, but Ross no longer deserve such a fortuitous future;

Not an uncommon sentiment based on what I've seen around the internet and social media. Many are saying that the true heroes of the show are Demelza and Dr. Enys.

Indeed!

Having seen the same behavior in the 1975-1977 episodes and being promised that it would be better this time so that Poldark would continue to act noble, this production has become increasingly challenging to watch. It has nothing to do with the actors, but with the director, the writers, and some choices that are repeating the failures of the original series.

I admire the actors very much; there is no doubt about the entire cast being committed to giving their best. It has been unfortunate that a couple collaborations between director and actors have weakened lead portrayals; however, there is not much audience members can do accept watch what has been offer, swallow bitter pills, and enjoy what is sweet.

Sometimes a series will provide us with sublime moments or even hours of stories that life our spirits and provide great pleasure. And sometimes there will be portions of bitter substance.

Recently, someone said that Demelza was no saint, which is true. While she is often hesitant and even meek around strangers, she can be as frank and difficult with Ross as he is with her because she treats him as her bona fide partner. She has shown herself to be dogged in finding ways to help Ross that where total failures in understanding. Still, she is completely transparent for him when he takes time to observe her.

My basic problem has nothing to do with the acting and everything to do with what the director has chosen to focus upon from the books. I only read the first four books - forty years ago - and remember thinking that the director had made some bizarre choices and ignored many interesting possibilities. Plus, we never know how much producers or the BBC might influence the directions taken.

So much is done that truly satisfies in demonstrating the 1790s, the reality of the situation in Cornwall, that brings that fierce Atlantic spray across the screen to freshen the air and entice us back to the adventure, if we have been drifting away. Viewing the stories will continue to be challenging the next few years.

Evidently, Aiden signed a five year contract in 2015. At least, that is what was reported in one article that I read online.

So, here we are. And he, poor man, has to act out his character's daily and nightly passion/love/lust of an additional beautiful woman. And ultimately, to have to play a successful, wealthy leader in the community. Hmmmm . . . .

A Checkered Life speaks of myriad diverse adventures being the rewards of endless curiosity.

Sometimes a series will provide us with sublime moments or even hours of stories that life our spirits and provide great pleasure. And sometimes there will be portions of bitter substance.

So true and overall I think this has been a wonderful adaptation in production, and performance.

Recently, someone said that Demelza was no saint, which is true

I agree, but from what I have read and heard she certainly is being referred to as Saint, Queen, Angel, Too good for Ross Demelza almost universally.

Still, she is completely transparent for him when he takes time to observe her

I don't particularly think of Demelza as completely transparent. In fact, secrecy and keeping her thoughts to herself is one of her very few faults. Think back to season 1 and her hiding and outright lying to Ross regarding Verity and Blamey. In this season, which was shown better in the books, Delmelza misinterpreted Ross's wish for no children in a way that Ross would never have intended, became somewhat distant and by making faulty assumptions (which she does in other instances as well)as well as not talking about it helped push Ross a little further to Elizabeth. Before everyone jumps all over me, I'm NOT saying that is an excuse for Ross' infidelity but that Demelza's choices on what and how to communicate her feelings did contribute to the situation. Ross is an emotional inarticulate man and one who has lived in is household for about a decade (book verse, vs 5-7 years show)she could hardly failed to learn that about him.

My basic problem has nothing to do with the acting and everything to do with what the director has chosen to focus upon from the books. I only read the first four books - forty years ago - and remember thinking that the director had made some bizarre choices and ignored many interesting possibilities. Plus, we never know how much producers or the BBC might influence the directions taken.

So much is done that truly satisfies in demonstrating the 1790s, the reality of the situation in Cornwall, that brings that fierce Atlantic spray across the screen to freshen the air and entice us back to the adventure, if we have been drifting away. Viewing the stories will continue to be challenging the next few years

So, here we are. And he, poor man, has to act out his character's daily and nightly passion/love/lust of an additional beautiful woman. And ultimately, to have to play a successful, wealthy leader in the community. Hmmmm . . . .

Another series of valid remarks, thanks. As others have said before, the source material dictates the major plot points in an adaptation that wishes to remain largely faithful to the novels. However, where the controversy arises and the debate is endless is the process of adaptation, what material is lost/gained, what is updated for modern sensibilities or left true to the period, and how the events are interpreted or emphasized.

Much of the praise has been heaped on Luke Norris and Eleanor Tomlinson, which is deserved, but they also have the luxury of portraying wholly sympathetic characters that everyone likes. Jack Farthing is also getting deserved praise for the nuanced villain, which again lies squarely in one character category. Aidan Turner and to a lesser extent Heida Reed are in the unenviable position of portraying characters that are neither villains nor heroes/heroines. Aidan, in particular, I think has the very difficult task of playing Ross Poldark. Ross is a unconventional period drama protagonist and he is doing a d*** fine job walking on the edge of audience alienation by showing the inner confusion, angst, guilt, arrogance, earnestness, genuine befuddlement and underlying love for Demelza in his facial expressions and body language. It may be only this audience member judging by some of the social media posts and articles written but it seems as people are judging AT, the actor and his performance, as if he Ross Poldark himself. Is this a good thing that audiences are having trouble separating the actor from the character? Does it mean that the audience is invested in the drama in a great degree? AT reaped the benefit from season 1 and now the backlash from season 2. Eleanor has deservedly lucked out with Demelza and has really grown into the role beautifully. I will miss Kyle Soller as Francis, he did an outstanding job with Francis' fall and redemption. And I'm really liking with each new episode Gabriella Wilde's Caroline and can't wait for season 3 when we will see more of her.

Delmelza misinterpreted Ross's wish for no children in a way that Ross would never have intended, became somewhat distant and by making faulty assumptions (which she does in other instances as well)as well as not talking about it helped push Ross a little further to Elizabeth.

Mmmm, I'm not sure. I think the night with E would've happened regardless of how well the lines of communication between D and R were maintained. That was just a train wreck that was going to happen because it had everything to do with Ross' obsession with E and his hatred of George, neither of which had anything to do with Demelza.

I agree that communicating in a marriage is always best though.

"What can I say? It was something I cannot explain... You must see I had no choice."!!!!!! Really??? Did someone stick a pistol in your face and order you to drop trough??? Or is this like the excuse some rapists have given in court "I tripped and fell", the act being not a choice, but an accident simply due to a loss of balance and clothing??? What bad luck! More seriously, that line, and in the context it was delivered, was probably the most offensive line Ross has ever delivered. Having freshly slaked his snake with another woman, he had nothing better to offer?? No apology at all!!!! Incredible.

Let me say the B work has come off my lips more than a few times in viewing season two in regards to Ross's treatment of Demelza.

In a lot of ways I think Ross still sees Demelza as his scullery maid. Either that or a devoted dog he can treat anyway he likes and she'll always be there when he wants deigns to pet her. I think in his mind he thought he could cheat on her and come home the next morning as if nothing happened and she'd be fine with it. That's what his whole attitude said.

Look at how he tells Elizabeth she could never be the scullery maid.

And then when Prudie pointed out all the Demelza does, he says he doesn't notice that and lately he hasn't noticed her, either. No, he's too busy spending time with her precious Elizabeth.

His attitude towards Demelza is the same as Caroline's when she tells Dwight what's the death of one of the peasants. He doesn't view her as his equal worthy of respect. He acted like she should be grateful he came back to her. Like he was doing her a big favor and she should just get over it.

I just finished watching episodes 8 and 9 of the second season and am also disappointed with the situation and character portrayal. I have been binge-watching the series and loving every minute...until I got to this mess. There are so many ridiculous situations that took place between these two episodes, I can't even fathom them.

**Spoiler alert**

First, Ross waltzes home at the crack of dawn, calm and collected. No panic, no shock, no remorse as to what happened the night before. And then he tells Demelza he had no choice but to do what he did. Oh, OK, no big deal. And she, instead of castrating him right then and there, simply punches him in the face. Not that I don't applaud said punching, but I would have been livid.

Ross' appalling attitude continues throughout episode 9. He's done nothing wrong, he doesn't understand why Demelza is acting cold toward him. And again, he shows no remorse for the serious betrayal he's inflicted on her after years of what seemed like a committed marriage. He just expects her to get over it and go on as if nothing's happened.

Demelza, instead of being devastated and in grief herself, is acting like some pissy, pouty teenager. And spouting immature remarks about Ross getting cozy with Elizabeth, Elizabeth being so perfect, etc. And then she goes to a party to flirt with other men and nearly gets herself in trouble. When Demelza comes back home, Ross doesn't bother to ask why she's disheveled and in a worn-out evening gown. But he does bother to tell her that he can't make up his mind about being with Elizabeth. Again, not sure what's happening here.

The fact that Demelza and Ross are still in the same house is also beyond me. Ross should have either gotten kicked out, or Demelza should have taken Jeremy and left to stay with a friend. I realize that divorce was not an option at that time, but I find it hard to believe that a spouse who had been cheated on so casually and so openly could stand to be around her partner.

And WTH is up with Aunt Agatha's comments about getting Ross back? After all that happened, he should just dump his family and get together with Elizabeth? I realize that Agatha hates George, but for someone over 90 years old, her thinking is not very wise.

All the previous build-up of Elizabeth and Demelza helping each other, of Ross telling Elizabeth to pray for the love of his life (when Demelza is sick), of Ross's deep and complicated feelings have been thrown out the window with two very bad episodes.

I really, really hope that episode 10 puts an end to this immature, confusing and emotionless disaster. Or that the characters can return to acting like adults and resume normal behavior.

I didn't have a problem with how Demelza behaved, although I would have love it if after the punch she would have give him a swift kick in his jewels.

I almost did a new post asking, "What exactly did Ross expect from Demelza."

I got to see the uncut version with him ordering Demelza to get out of his way as he stormed off to go screw his precious Elizabeth. Then he comes back and thinks she should be fine with it. That he had no choice but to cheat on her.

Some of the stuff he said to Demelza makes you want to smack the living crap out of him.

"I know your pride is hurt..." Seriously, he thinks she's upset because her pride is hurt he screwed another woman.

Only to be topped by, "Knowing you as I do, I would expect some understanding...that you would see it from my side." Oh, dude, you don't have a side. You cheated, never expressed any kind of regret for what you did and never even promised you wouldn't do it again.

Spoilers from episode 10:
I read some posts where people didn't seem to care for Demelza making him think she cheated on him, but I actually loved his reaction. He's so sure she would never do what he did and when he thinks she did he has a fit at someone other than himself touching his wife. He didn't like it when the shoe was on the other foot one little bit.

I also liked Demelza telling Elizabeth she was welcome to him. I felt that she just had enough. She knew he wasn't going to leave and she just wanted to be done with what he'd done and would probably do, again.

And how obtuse is he? She's packing her things right in front of him and he doesn't even notice until he sees all her bags by the door and she spells it out to him that she's leaving him. He thought all he had to do was come back and not go off to war and everything would be all settled.

I have to say my biggest complaint about this version of Poldark is the way the writer has tried to redeem the Elizabeth character and make her better than she is. In the books she never came to care for Demelza when she was sick and she certainly never tried to save Ross when he was arrested, only Demelza did. And she was never at the trial. And I absolutely hated they had Demelza tell her she was pregnant. I just read Jeremy Poldark and thank god Demelza doesn't do that in the book. It seems the writer is constantly making up stuff so Elizabeth can have a bigger part in the show.

I would have loved it if Demelza had packed all his things [since he wouldn't leave] and sent Jud with them over to Elizabeth and tell him he made his choice, so he could go live with it. I doubt he'd last a week before his infatuation with that twit died a quick death and he'd be wanting his wife back. Unfortunately, because of the future storylines in the book that wasn't possible, But it would make a great fan fiction.

In regards to Agatha, she's a very selfish old woman. First, she expected Verity to abandon her husband and stay and take care of her. Then when she sees what's up with George, she figures Ross should be the next sacrificial lamb to make life easy for her.

You are spot on, IveGotASecret!

I have been emotionally invested in Demelza's character ever since we began witnessing her transformation from a miner's daughter to a kitchen maid to a gentleman's (reconsidering now) wife. She has been the kindest, most understanding and selfless person on the show, not to mention beautiful on the inside and out.

Ross, untraditional in every sense of the word, has also been an incredible character with much depth and growth. He always fought for what he believed in, was fiercely intelligent, believed in justice, defied convention and was a pillar of unwavering strength in the most difficult situations. And several times throughout the series, he has shown Demelza how much he loved her. The scene where Demelza was sick, and he referred to her as the 'love of his life' with the outmost of griefs, is one great example. The two Christmas episodes are good examples as well.

So what the @#%* happened in episode 8? **Spoiler**

Well, first Ross told Demelza to get out of his way so he could go and cheat on her with Elizabeth. Just like that, no questions asked. Then, he actually cheated with Elizabeth and didn't hesitate or have second thoughts during the act. And (it seemed like) he was sober the entire time! Ross' intention to convince Elizabeth against marrying George was one thing, but sleeping with her? Out of revenge? What was his plan afterward? To have her so smitten with him and his passionate self that she would forget all other men exist (or pine away while waiting for him to make a move)? Use her like some whore and then move on? He had married Demelza after sleeping with her once out of what I'm assuming was honor, and yet he didn't think of the same honorable practices after being with Elizabeth, as well as the potential consequence of her getting pregnant? That is the cheapest, lowest, most unforgivable behavior from someone who, up to this point, seemed like an intelligent and pretty dignified human being. Demelza aside, I feel cheated on myself by this behavior.

Ross' non-chalant and clueless actions toward Demelza in episode 9, which I touched upon in my earlier post, is just appalling. I am trying to understand what the hell happened to his character to make him so disrespectful and ignorant. So far, I believe that his brain was damaged in a mine accident or that this is some sort of an evil clone.

I understand that infidelity was more acceptable back in those days, but I cannot understand Ross' selfish bastard reasoning here.

I really think what Ross did with Elizabeth is the exact same thing he did with the Queen Charlotte. It's like he goes out of his head with anything regarding George. Dwight said when he lead the villagers to pillage the sinking Queen Charlotte he wasn't in his right mind and I don't think he was in his right mind when he did what he did with Elizabeth.

I think like the night of the pillaging of the ship, he didn't think what would happen after he did this thing. A couple of times he reminded me of a child whose done a bad thing and thinks if he does a drawing for you that'll make it all go away. He really seemed to think because the mine had finally paid off and they had money that would make everything okay when that had nothing to do with what he did. He really didn't seem to understand why Demelza was mad at him.

I think Demelza even told Verity he wouldn't acknowledge what he did or accept the consequences for his actions. It's like he didn't understand he cheated on his wife. The first thing he says to Demelza is that she must see he had no choice by what he did. Then he thinks her pride is hurt. Then he thinks she should show him some understanding and see it from his side of things. Of course, my personal favorite was telling her she just needed to wait this thing out until he no longer wants Elizabeth. He just didn't get it. It's why I had no problem with how Demelza was acting, because how can you act mature in the face of stuff like that. If it had been me I'd probably have been screaming, "Why are you still here! Why don't you just leave."

But Ross kind of exhibited a very cavalier attitude towards Demelza most of the season, and this was after she almost died and he'd almost lost her. Like him telling Demelza how he'd given 600 pounds to Elizabeth and her son, while leaving Demelza and their son in poverty because Demelza could handle it better than Elizabeth. Demelza got mad but she let it go, so I think that's part of the reason he thought it would be the same thing with this. He was constantly shoving Demelza aside for Elizabeth and she put up with it. That's why he seemed to have a hard time understanding he'd gone too far this time and pushed Demelza too far, this time.

While the silk stocking scene is very hot and steamy what lead to that was because Prudie basically shoved in his nose all that Demelza does that he doesn't even notice. he even says that most of the time he doesn't even notice she's there. He didn't give her anything for Christmas and didn't even notice her. Demelza tells him in that scene she didn't think he loved or wanted her anymore.

He was just so used to Demelza putting up with the crappy way he was treating her he thought she'd put up with this, as well.

I never thought that Ross equated his one-night stand with Elizabeth to all the other times he did things for her, and that he would expect Demelza to accept this act the same way she did the others. Although inexcusable, his stupidly makes more sense.

I finished episode 10 and am a lot happier with the developments. First, we got to see Elizabeth for who she really is - a cold, heartless and indifferent b*tch. Her expression when she met Demelza, first on the trail and then during the impending attack on Trenwith, gave me chills. And it showed what a much better human being Demelza was.

Next, I have to absolutely praise Aidan. He is a phenomenal actor and killed every scene. I could feel Ross' feelings gripping him as he watched Caroline and Dwight reunite. And like many other viewers, his final, raw speech moved me. First, his surprise at seeing Demelza's bags. Then, his worry and fear - almost that of a scared child. And then his regretful, dawning realization and confession. Although Ross still hasn't fully redeemed himself, he did acknowledge his "spectacular" behavior. Now, he needs to show Demelza that he meant what he said through actions.

I have not read the books but am curious how Ross behaves for the rest of the series. I wouldn't mind spoilers if someone is willing to share. :)

I never thought that Ross equated his one-night stand with Elizabeth to all the other times he did things for her, and that he would expect Demelza to accept this act the same way she did the others. Although inexcusable, his stupidly makes more sense.

I think he did initially with his line to Demelza when he comes home that he had no choice. In his mind I think he thought he did what he did to save Elizabeth. Hence the "I had no choice" line. I think Demelza battering him with the truth slowly started getting through to him.

I know some book spoilers. I'm going to be starting Warleggan, but I know some book spoilers from having watched the original Poldark.

1. Before Agatha dies she tells George that Elizabeth's son Valentine is really Ross's son.

2. Elizabeth dies.

3. Demelza cheats on Ross. [Not looking forward to that one.]

Depending on how many books the show adapts next season [They've been adapting two per season] we'll be seeing most of that next season. Those events happen in the next three books: The Dark Moon [which is supposed to be a happy Ross/Demelza book], the Man from the Sea and the Four Swans.

The next three books are The Black Moon, The Four Swans, and The Angry Tide. These are the three novels that will be adapted in Series 3 and (presumably) Series 4. After that, there's a 10-year gap in the story until the events of the next book, The Stranger From the Sea.

I'm the person who said that The Black Moon is a happy book from the R-D perspective, so I can confirm that.

One correction to the spoilers: Aunt Agatha doesn't explicitly state that Valentine was fathered by Ross. She just says that he was not a premature baby, and that therefore Elizabeth must have been up to something before she and George were married. It's George who begins to worry that Ross might have been involved.

I haven't gotten up to those books, yet. I'm starting Warleggan, tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how the book differs from the show. For one thing, I hope that dirty miners on the lawn scene isn't in the book. I know it's not supposed to be funny and Elizabeth's mother had a stroke over that, but it is funny. "Oh, my God! There's dirty miners digging up the lawn."

I haven't gotten up to those books, yet. I'm starting Warleggan, tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how the book differs from the show. For one thing, I hope that dirty miners on the lawn scene isn't in the book. I know it's not supposed to be funny and Elizabeth's mother had a stroke over that, but it is funny. "Oh, my God! There's dirty miners digging up the lawn."

It's not. George in the show is much more manipulative of Elizabeth than he is in the book. He really doesn't have to do much to get her to marry him. She wants the money, comfort and to get back into society to be appreciated while she is still young. He never clwims to make GC his heir, just pay for his education.

I really hate the way they've white-washed the Elizabeth character in this version. I really got pissed off when they even wrote that she was trying to help Ross when he was arrested, when Demelza was the only one who did that. She never came to the trial. She never went to take care of Demelza when she was sick. And she never helped Francis in the field, either.

I really hate the way they've white-washed the Elizabeth character in this version. I really got pissed off when they even wrote that she was trying to help Ross when he was arrested, when Demelza was the only one who did that. She never came to the trial. She never went to take care of Demelza when she was sick. And she never helped Francis in the field, either.

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

Bravo! My thoughts exactly!!!! Nor does she come to see Demelza after Julia is born... She wears a flamboyant crimson dress to Julias christening party, for Ross's benefit. Then years later when everyone is broke she wears the same dress (and happens to be the only one dressed up) for Christmas when Ross and Demelza are coming, because she knows he "admires" it. She also doesn't repair her relationship with Francis before he dies.

I think it would have been interesting to see this Elizabeth in the show. The manipulative one, sweet and perfect when Ross is around, but cold and distant with Francis. Almost a split personality. They made her seem a victim of Francis in season 1, whereas imo it was her treatment of him that killed his already somewhat low self esteem and leads to his excessive gambling and relationship with Margaret. It isn't until season 2 after nearly commiting suicide that he is just over her. Later on he goes back to the mine late and drowns, because "the thought of Elizabeth at Trenwith depressed him". Lovely wife.

I think it would have been interesting to see this Elizabeth in the show. The manipulative one, sweet and perfect when Ross is around, but cold and distant with Francis. Almost a split personality. They made her seem a victim of Francis in season 1, whereas imo it was her treatment of him that killed his already somewhat low self esteem and leads to his excessive gambling and relationship with Margaret. It isn't until season 2 after nearly commiting suicide that he is just over her. Later on he goes back to the mine late and drowns, because "the thought of Elizabeth at Trenwith depressed him". Lovely wife.

Definitely. They just always seem to want to make her look good to explain Ross's fascination with her. To justify it.

Once Saint Elzabeth did her duty and produced an heir she wouldn't even have sex with Francis. Is it no wonder he turned to Margaret. And it must have been hard [like it was for Demelza] having to put up with the continued flirtation between Ross and Elizabeth. The worst thing to happen to Francis was marrying her.

In the book, when she makes her little whispered confession to Ross at the dinner table of how she realized she loved him and not Francis she admits she never thought Ross was dead. Right there should have been enough to see what she is. She wasn't true to Ross cause she thought she loved Francis more. If Ross had a brain in his head, he would have started seeing her for what she is then. But, no.

I loved the last scene between Demelza and Francis where he said he could easily love her, himself. He also gave Ross more credit for seeing what he had and cherishing it instead of wanting the ice queen. My guess, since he seemed to finally get over his beloved Elizabeth after having sex with her is she's as cold in bed as she is out of it. Nothing like bad sex to turn a man off a woman.

I really hated when they had Demelza tell her she was pregnant. She should have told her real friend, Verity, and not the viper trying to vamp her husband every chance she got.

Making Elizabeth this weak frail little darling who needs a man to lean on does this character no favors. She's not the least bit interesting and even without seeing the first version of Poldark or reading the books, I still wouldn't buy the little act she's putting on. It just doesn't ring true.

If Elizabeth was the innocent little saint the show tries to portray her as, she would have never told Ross that she realized she loved him and not Francis. She would have kept that to herself, but even then she was laying a net for the idiot.

Definitely. They just always seem to want to make her look good to explain Ross's fascination with her. To justify it.

But if it was acted right, where she was always sweet in front of Ross, that would have made for some entertainment. He is never in his life aware of who the true Elizabeth is. In the book everyone knows except for Ross!

If Elizabeth was the innocent little saint the show tries to portray her as, she would have never told Ross that use realized she loved him and not Francis. She would have kept that to herself, but even then she was laying a net for the idiot.

And she says it at a dinner table with many guests and their spouses! With Francis watching, thinking he could care less. So past jealousy at that point. But what an entirely innapropriate thing to say at a time like that.

But if it was acted right, where she was always sweet in front of Ross, that would have made for some entertainment. He is never in his life aware of who the true Elizabeth is. In the book everyone knows except for Ross!

That's my other problem with the role; I think the part is terribly miscast. The point is Elizabeth is supposed to be the polar opposite of Demelza in looks and personality. Demelza is the fire and Elizbeth is the ice. She's supposed to be this fragile blonde beauty all men can't help but adore. Their hypnotized by her exterior not really seeing the cold creature that exists inside all the blonde perfection. The actress cast as Caroline fits the description better than Heida Reed does, but she doesn't really have that fragile quality you need to play Elizabeth. The highlight of the physical difference between these two women is supposed to show Ross torn between these two very different women.

And like you said in the hands of the right actress, you could put more into the part. A lot of actors take what they're given and put more into it.

And she says it at a dinner table with many guests and their spouses! With Francis watching, thinking he could care less. So past jealousy at that point. But what an entirely innapropriate thing to say at a time like that.

I know. Who does something like that? Someone who has no respect for either marriage or any common decency. And what makes it really worse is when you think about the fact Demelza took care of her when she was sick and saved her child's life, while she almost died and her child did die. That alone should have kept her little love confession to herself out of gratitude for what the other woman had done for her. Instead she's trying to stir up Demelza's husband and get him panting after her, again.