Poldark : The Cult Box Review of Ep 9 (SPOILERS)

The Cult Box Review of Ep 9 (SPOILERS)

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/reviews/episodes/poldark-s02e09-season-2-episode-9-review

I particularly liked these two paragraphs:

But Captain McNeil – sorry, Malcolm – does reveal himself as a dodgy wretch. Demelza plans on a revenge bedding, and he and his moustache are well up for it. It’s all rather embarrassing and cringey at how eager he is to have sex, then even more embarrassing and cringey watching him turn into a moustachioed man-baby when Demelza comes to her senses and pushes him away.

Thank goodness she does and we’re spared another scene that would have Twitter all a-flutter. Demelza knows her own mind and knows that she’s better than Ross. No argument here. Unlike her husband she’s strong enough to resist urges, and presumably strong enough to shimmy herself out of a first story window too, given how she makes her exit.

LOL.

Re: The Cult Box Review of Ep 9 (SPOILERS)

Hi, Tleefent!

Thanks so much for sharing the link. Great review! The entire article is hilarious and the author creatively skewers all of the men with fitting anagrams of their names, particularly Ross.

It is very funny and I thoroughly admire the wit involved. The worst it gets, the more that we want to watch it. Yelp! Unfortunately too true. It is disgusting too true.

So; how long until Season Three begins? I've read that they plan to hold it in Spring next year, which is how it started for the first season, rather than in the Fall.

Such a long wait . . . what will we do. Of course, Sherlock begins in January 2017. That might help relieve a bit if the stress.

A Checkered Life speaks of myriad diverse adventures being the rewards of endless curiosity.

Hello Ms. "Checkered"! You're welcome! Ive posted the reviews for almost all the eps and some were even funnier than this one was. I love them so have to share them.

They are still filming season three I beleve but Radio Times posted an article that they "might" be trying to air it in the Spring (fingers crossed). I posted it in a new thread somewhere on here. I would imagine if they do it will be very late Spring...gotta allow time for editing. As long as we don't have to wait another long year and whatever weeks it was, I will be happier.

I watch another series on Hallmark that is a period show so I will watching that starting in February.

I'm afraid I have never watched the Sherlock shows...they do air here but never have watched them. I have watched the movies though and loved them.

Thanks for the update, Tleefent.

Once we are past this VBT and the Poldarks' reconciliation, life improves more evenly for them over the years. However, being the strong, passionate people we love, there are always going to be challenges and sparks to keep their relationship from ever being boring.

Time goes by rather faster than I desire, so later Spring is still closer than next Fall.

Please check out Sherlock because it is a wonderful take on Conan Doyle's most amazing buddy story as it began in their early years. All of the rest of the films and TV shows start off from when they are truly in their middle years and continue until the Great Detective retires to the Sussex coast to raise bees.

The other slice of pleasure is that Sherlock was a runaway triumph from the initial show the first night in 2010, making Benedict Cumberbatch a huge star overnight. Well, so what if he had been working professionally for six+ years. Only Brits were aware of him and with Sherlock, several thousand Americans became followers. On this side of the Pond, we wore the label of members in the CumberCollective, rather than using the anti-feminist moniker.

In addition to being extremely clever, the show often has some hilarious moments as Sherlock proves it impossible to be the smartest man in the room while playing well with others. At times, the smartest man is extremely dense, but it isn't played as if he is stupid; simply stunted because of his life choices. His arc over three seasons has to become less alien to emotion and the feelings of others.

He is kind of like Mr. Spock in the early years and Dr. Watson is similar to Bones. They get along almost as well. You can find the first season streaming on both Netflix and Amazon Prime. Each episode is a 90 minute movie. I would enjoy hearing what you think about it.

What is the Hallmark show that you want to watch in February?

A Checkered Life speaks of myriad diverse adventures being the rewards of endless curiosity.

I look forward to these Cult Box Reviews every week and Poldark Dish on youtube. Hilarious! Thanks to tleefent's generosity for sharing it (among other things besides) with us.

I watch Sherlock too! Backtracked it after watching and loving Parade's End on amazon only to find what cult following it had - has! Do they have an airdate in January yet?

Hi, Mind-84!

Sherlock is constantly engaging; however, there is one huge failing that we all have had to deal with since 2010: it made Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman each so famous that they have become busier over the years. The series are now spread out further in completion. Yet, I am very grateful that they are still committed to returning to the show for more stories, even if it is now going to be three years since the last series instead of two.

Parade's End is a beautiful miniseries and everyone in it was excellent in filling their rolls, with Benedict being outstanding in a heartbreaking part. I was not sure that his character would ever have a secure measure of happiness. Ford Maddox Ford was not the most cheerful or hopeful author writing at that time. Or, if he was, I missed that book. IMO, if the actors were less skilled, most of those rolls could have been caricatures, instead of being serious portrayals of diverse personalities. Tom Stoppard's screenplay of FMF's novel and Susanna White as director elicited the best from the cast, don't you think? The costumes and locations where wonderful, and the war scenes were devastating.

BBC's "Sherlock" season 4 will premier on January 1st, 2017.

This was printed in a US article in September, but it was not clear if that is the British start date or ours.

ACL, Susanna White directed Jane Eyre 2006 as well. And check out Cumberbatch's performance with Ruth Wilson in 2009's Small Island. He was known in Britain at that time, but it was before Sherlock propelled him into the stratosphere!

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

Thanks for this information, SG!

She is an amazing director with such a powerfully gentle touch. I had not looked at her filmography but loved Small Island, which I bought.

Even though everything is shown for us, Small Island is a subtle and thought provoking film. Watching it unfold, there is no expectation that bringing together two women of disparate experience and values will enrich each and to save the life of the baby, to give him a positive future because of his two resilient mothers. Surprises happened, yet naturally. It is a film that is memorable simply from the title and scenes begin to play in my mind.

This beautiful film reminds me of the very bittersweet irony in "what goes around, comes around" being both for good or for ill.

Benedict was accepting smaller roles in ensemble films for a while and he was always excellent. His part in Small Island was vital to developing the wretched pathos that occurs later when he learns of the baby. Each action lead to a tragic and sensitive rendering with this viewer feeling a grievous loss of potential; millions of men returning from war had those same ironclad emotions. Some were able to "get on", whatever that meant, and others were shattered.

Ben's work directly counterbalanced Ruth Wilson's and brought her need for love to a clearer place, especially given that time in history. He had many pivotal roles that brightened or clarified the films he accepted from Starter for Ten to Twelve Years a Slave.

I have most of his work on DVD. I truly wish his Frankenstein and Hamlet were on disk, but realize the intelligence behind continually renting seats in a theater for viewing these treasures. Sigh . . .

IMO, if the actors were less skilled, most of those rolls could have been caricatures, instead of being serious portrayals of diverse personalities. Tom Stoppard's screenplay of FMF's novel and Susanna White as director elicited the best from the cast, don't you think? The costumes and locations where wonderful, and the war scenes were devastating.

Absolutely! Adelaide Clemens surprised me the most as a very young Australian newcomer going toe to toe with heavyweights like BC and Rebecca Hall. I read how persistent she was in trying to get that role even after being turned down more than once!

I also loved the humor in scenes like the Duchemin's Breakfast and even in the war scenes with Roger Alam reminding me so much of Stephen Fry's General Melchett from Blackadder. lol

I was not sure that his character would ever have a secure measure of happiness.

Made it in the end and only just, but left me wanting, so I slogged through all 900+ pages of the tetralogy unfulfilled. It was a hard read both in style and content for me; I'm not very clever

Thanks for the headsup on Sherlock. I wonder if PBS will air it the same date here as they did the Abominable Bride - my least favorite Sherlock episode BTW...I believe BC is currently stateside promoting Doctor Strange and is making the chat show rounds. Saturday he'll be hosting SNL. He seems to play all these genius type roles in all shapes, sizes, time and space. I'd love to see him in another period romance drama.

Saturday he'll be hosting SNL.

I was super excited when I saw that. It should be good, esp as it's the last ep before the election. I can't wait to watch it!

Ford Maddox Ford was not the most cheerful or hopeful author writing at that time.

Well, that's Modernism for you: post-war (ww1), life sucks, the future is bleak and might never happen.

Faulkner, Conrad, Fitzgerald, Woolf, Hemingway, Eliot, Miller, Joyce

Exactly, Magpieskye!

My most favorite Holmes portrayal has been the often incandescent Jeremy Brett. He will always be the quintessence of the Great Detective in Victorian England. Wonderful actor and gifted with comedic timing: Jeremy☆Brett An Ideal Husband 1969 on YouTube.

He was an exceedingly morose hero/villain in Ford Maddox Ford's The Good Soldier. The actors were excellent, the locations were beautiful, the costumes were gorgeous, Brett was handsome, and the story became grimer by the minute. It was increasingly dark and ended with a thud.

What a cheery lot: Faulkner, Conrad, Fitzgerald, Woolf, Hemingway, Eliot, Miller, and Joyce! Their books and stories engrave their time in words that cause many tears.

World War I had to have been the ugliest, most tragic war to that time and then, as it was concluding, over 18 million people around the world died in a short timeframe from influenza.

I love these reviews and this one is especially witty and on point. The anagrams were LOL.

I love them too!