Poldark : Warleggan's amazingly good taste in gifts. Those candies!

Warleggan's amazingly good taste in gifts. Those candies!

Say what you want against the guy, I agree but man o man I would looooove to get a box of candies like that! The box alone was gorgeous and the candies looked like confectionary crown jewels!!! And that basket of goodies at the end!!

Of course, getting a pair of sexy silk stockings and the devoted love of Ross Poldark is in another league giftwise. 😉

🐾

Re: Warleggan's amazingly good taste in gifts. Those candies!

Say what you want against the guy, I agree but man o man I would looooove to get a box of candies like that! The box alone was gorgeous and the candies looked like confectionary crown jewels!!!

Ok, I just can't resist. Re Candies - just for laughs😉
Here's an excerpt from Rob Smedley's hilarious review of Episode 6 from cultbox

Ross isn’t the only one whose concentration is fixed on the Lady Poldark. George Warleggan’s popping around with fancy sweets like an 18th century Milk Tray man, if the Milk Tray man took the time to quietly insult your great aunt and dangle a massive bill in front of you after dropping off all nine – count ’em! – pieces of confectionary. I know sweets are a rare delicacy in the 1700s, but come on, there better be another layer below that lot George, and none of them better be nougat. No wonder he’s not getting far with Elizabeth. It’s like watching a corpse flirt.

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/reviews/episodes/poldark-bbc-s02e06-season-2-episode-6-review

I must admit I didn't think those "SIX" candies (countem SIX)looked especially appetizing either but I am sure those were a rare luxururious treat back in those times. But I think I will take a pass.

One of my fave eps this season, so didn't mind watching it again just to check this out: There were 9 candies. I counted them - 9.
For me, I'll take that beautiful box; Lizzie can have the gummy bears. 😁

One of my fave eps this season, so didn't mind watching it again just to check this out: There were 9 candies. I counted them - 9.
For me, I'll take that beautiful box; Lizzie can have the gummy bears.

Ok there were NINE...three more than I remembered. THREE! LOL! Mind84 stop making me look bad (I say that humorously "mind you".-See what I did there?). We might have to share that box..which was the only thing that looked appealing to me.

Ok there were NINE...three more than I remembered. THREE! LOL! Mind84 stop making me look bad (I say that humorously "mind you".-See what I did there?).

LOL! Catchy!👍
Well, you made me look.
I needed that, anyway - a bit of diversion, since I can't decide whether to dread or be excited about the last episode fast approaching.

I never dread an episode...always look forward to them. Sometimes I'm a bit irritated after the airing though. LOL.

Re: Warleggan's amazingly good taste in gifts. Those candies! (SPOILERS)

The previews and articles like this are the source of my dread, T. Not to mention the depression that will surely follow after viewing the last ep of this season. 😢

Article from What's on TV

Everyone is desperately unhappy as the final episode of Poldark get underway this week...

Widowed Elizabeth married banker George Warleggan in the previous episode, but she's trying toignore the fact that her heart really belongs to former fiancé Ross, and that she may be carrying his baby.

Unaware, Ross is trying to save his marriage to Demelza, who won't forgive him for his betrayal."The series builds to a terrific climax for Ross, Demelza and Elizabeth", says Aidan Turner, who plays Ross. "It's been a whirlwind of emotions and they've been through the worst of times."

Look out for some big confrontations this week between Demelza and Elizabeth, while Ross and George violently clash.

Brutal Brawl. "It's their most vicious fight yet as Ross ends up almost forcing George's head into a lit fireplace," says Aidan.

There's also trouble for George, the new master of Trenwith, whose decision to stop locals from crossing his land leads to a revolt and a baying mob.

Meanwhile, as the country goes to war in France, ex soldier, Ross considers signing up for his old regiment. Then after Demelza makes a shock confession, he decides to go to war. Is this truly the end for the pair?

"So much has gone on between Ross and Demelza, it's hard to tell where their relationship will go from one moment to the next," says Aidan, who's already started filming the third series. "We've been blown away by Poldark's success. It's been an amazing drama."

I know everyone is complaining about the spoilers for episode 10, but I have to say that I am very curious to see how a confrontation between Elizabeth and Demelza plays out. Maybe I will regret saying this after seeing the episode but we'all have to see. Does anyone know if such a confrontation happened in the novels?

Does anyone know if such a confrontation happened in the novels?

None that I recall.

The previews and articles like this are the source of my dread, T. Not to mention the depression that will surely follow after viewing the last ep of this season. 😢

I do so dread the season being over. That's for sure...went by soooo fast!

Everyone is desperately unhappy as the final episode of Poldark get underway this week...

Ohhhhhh...that's good to know. LOL!

Unaware, Ross is trying to save his marriage to Demelza, who won't forgive him for his betrayal."The series builds to a terrific climax for Ross, Demelza and Elizabeth", says Aidan Turner, who plays Ross. "It's been a whirlwind of emotions and they've been through the worst of times."

Well that is some good news....that Ross is trying to save his marriage. I just wish he and Demelza would just sit down and have a heart to heart...you know....he would tell her he really loved her and tell her what a horrible mistake he made and beg her forgiveness and all that jazz and that Demelza would tell him how much he hurt her and why and ask him why he did it and then eventually they would come to an understanding, stop the mud-slinging and just make up in that wonderful way! But I know that is asking too much...its my dream for them. Don't anyone laugh...I know this is Poldark and that probably won't happen but a girl can dream.

Look out for some big confrontations this week between Demelza and Elizabeth, while Ross and George violently clash.

Woo hooo! I do look forward to that!

Brutal Brawl. "It's their most vicious fight yet as Ross ends up almost forcing George's head into a lit fireplace," says Aidan.

Ruh roh! OOoh scary...the old head in the lit fireplace bit. Can-not-wait!

There's also trouble for George, the new master of Trenwith, whose decision to stop locals from crossing his land leads to a revolt and a baying mob.

George just really thinks he is somethin special doesn't he?

Meanwhile, as the country goes to war in France, ex soldier, Ross considers signing up for his old regiment. Then after Demelza makes a shock confession, he decides to go to war. Is this truly the end for the pair?

Shock confession? Whatever could that be? Seriously, anybody know? I know someone on here does. Does she tell him about her "almost cheating" on him? Oh Ross she is just kidding...don't leave us! I mean Demelza.

"So much has gone on between Ross and Demelza, it's hard to tell where their relationship will go from one moment to the next," says Aidan, who's already started filming the third series. "We've been blown away by Poldark's success. It's been an amazing drama."

Obviously he doesn't go to war..unless season three is about the war. But I have read he doesn't go. Ross.... please don't run away! Face your problems like the man we know you are (or that we hope you are under all that hair!)!

But I know that is asking too much...its my dream for them. Don't anyone laugh...I know this is Poldark and that probably won't happen but a girl can dream.

It is not. The thing is, that's basically what happens in the book, but not what the articles, pictures and clips of E10 seem to show. After a long, very emotionally charged, dark, rollercoaster of a season, your dream is this girl's dream as well, T. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Ahh thanks mind84. That's good to know and I do not think it is too much to ask either.

I guess our "great MINDs" think alike!

I guess our "great MINDs" think alike!

Ooh you're getting good at this, T! 😂

Ooh you're getting good at this, T!

Well I do try..mostly unsuccessfully. LOL!

In Oldark, Ross did go to war but caught "marsh fever" (malaria) and was sent home for good. He and Demelza had reconciled right at the end of Series 1 and he returns home right at the start of Series 2. On his way home, via Falmouth where he visited Verity, he finds out that George & Elizabeth have moved into Penrice because they needed somewhere to live after Trenwith burned down (don't know why Cardew wasn't an option LOL) and that the Warleggan Bank had foreclosed on the mortgage on Penrice. Verity told Ross Elizabeth had suggested it because it would give Agatha company (in Oldark, Agatha lived at Penrice, not Trenwith). Ross wanted to know if Agatha was happy with the arrangement, to which Verity said she didn't know because she hadn't been able to get to see her before it happened, but that (as Agatha's nearest relative) Elizabeth had asked her for her opinion and she'd agreed with the proposal. Verity asked Ross if she'd done the right thing, to which Ross replied he didn't know and that he'd have to see Agatha.

Ross goes home, he and Demelza have post-war-induced-separation sex, after which Ross complains that Demelza hadn't written to him about the Agatha situation. Demelza says she didn't want to worry him while he was at the war. He says he had a right to know what was going on. She says she had a right to know he was ill, to which he replied he didn't want to worry her, her being a woman. Demelza says "that's a great observation, just out of bed" and she tells him she knew he'd be worried so she gone to see Agatha, but that George's servants wouldn't let her in and told her that they (she and Ross) should keep away.

Ross rides over to Penrice. Elizabeth sees him ride towards the house, she tells George she doesn't want to see him 'after that night when we almost died' (Trenwith fire) and she goes upstairs. Elizabeth is about 6 months pregnant at this time and George won't let her even lift a vase, chastising her like a child and saying she's putting his son's life at risk. George allows Ross into the house, but tells him he doesn't need to see Agatha, that's she's well looked after, calls his thugs to eject Ross from the house and Ross tells him he'll go quietly this time, but he'll be back as he has the right to see his aunt. George isn't a happy camper.

Remember - all this was in Oldark, so I'm not saying that's what'll happen in this new series.

Article from What's on TV

If this summary is accurate, there will be lots of potential problems with the finale:

1. Elizabeth's heart does not belong to Ross at this stage. She has written him off. She may not love George, but she loves his creature comforts. This adaptation has gone overboard in trying to present Liz as a lovelorn heroine. To repeat: It was a bad idea to delete the crucial "Elizabeth loves no one but herself" line from the final pep talk between Francis and Demelza.

2. Leave the Warleggan baby intrigue in Series 3 where it belongs! Why must additional melodrama be imported into the story prematurely? We have enough unfinished business with Ross vs. Demelza and Dwight vs. Caroline. Moreover, the audience will have no breathing room if a Ross-Demelza reconciliation (assuming there even is one) is tainted by the fear of a rogue infant.

3. Demelza won't forgive? That should never be how the problem is presented. The real issue is whether Ross can repair the damage to the relationship. In one of Winston Graham's most famous passages, this is all made clear: "It was not that she could not forgive. She did not know that he cared about her forgiveness, or in any case that that was of importance. You can forgive someone for cutting down a tree, for smashing a precious vase, for burning a picture; it makes no difference to the thing destroyed."

If Ross simply asks sincerely for forgiveness, he will be forgiven. But that does not mean that the marriage will be healed. Restoring the love is a separate and more ambitious project.

4. I recall that after their last meeting at a family gathering in Warleggan, before the VBT, Demelza and Elizabeth literally do not encounter each other again for years. Why must there be a personal "confrontation" between the two of them? This smacks of Lifetime network TV movie screenplays.

5. I've already given grief to the notion of the "baying mob." Why replicate Oldark at its worst? Double points for stupidity will be awarded if Demelza and Jud Paynter are among the marchers, as spoiler photos appear to indicate.

6. Ross decides to join the army because he's angry about McNeil? Sure, going to war will keep all the louts and lechers away from his lonely wife at Nampara! Great plan.

4. I recall that after their last meeting at a family gathering in Warleggan, before the VBT, Demelza and Elizabeth literally do not encounter each other again for years. Why must there be a personal "confrontation" between the two of them? This smacks of Lifetime network TV movie screenplays.

Having not read the books, I cannot answer to your other points, but for this one, as per one of those interviews on Youtube, Debbie Horsfield decided to write expanded roles for her two lead female characters. So we saw Elizabeth at Ross' trial, and eavesdropping when he and Francis decided to open Wheal Grace together, and we saw more of Demelza in Season 2 than she featured in the books, etc.

6. Ross decides to join the army because he's angry about McNeil? Sure, going to war will keep all the louts and lechers away from his lonely wife at Nampara! Great plan.

Ha ha! I agree, it seems counterproductive. Maybe they will have him sign up and then withdraw at the last minute? :)

But don't you think George is the type to ask the clerk to pick something out? Or he'd just gravitate to the most expensive thing.

I believe that George could truly have won Elizabeth's heart if her had not been so stingy with his warmth and kindness when she was first experiencing the trials of widowhood. He is always "penny wise and pound foolish!"

Stupid man! George ought to have been the one to take her and Geoffrey Charles for long rides on cold days: he could have whipped out some beautiful furry covering to ensure her warmth. Such a surprise would appeal to her romantic day dreaming. The ridiculous idea of allowing a pampered woman to suffer so that she will be grateful when he shows up is ignorance at its worst.

So much money and learned class, with zero practical wisdom.

His last overtures of friendship to her before Francis died were the basest threats for which I would have shoved him off his horse and/or out of his chair. It was straight blackmail and the director caused it to happen. She had Elizabeth smile meekly and say that she would think of how to have Francis return his friendship again (in order for George to visit Trenwith and be friends again with Liz). Drivel!! Blech!!

If George had acted with a small portion of genuine passion from the beginning of Elizabeth donning her beautiful black dress, things would have been different!

And the stories would not have been so frustratingly irritating and addictive.

A Checkered Life speaks of myriad diverse adventures being the rewards of endless curiosity.

He has good taste in decor. Every object in his house is to die for! Love his wallpaper. And his cups. Stockings.

I quite fance his high heel shoes, lol

Evil has its perks

Am I detecting a theme here? Art thou suggesting George is a bit of a dandy? 😉

Dandy?? explain that one, lol

You don't know what a dandy is?
http://tinyurl.com/hhvmskk

Oh yes, thought it may have been that he 'bats for the other side' lol

Nope.

It's interesting because many of us noted during s1 that the costume designer had clothed most of the male characters and all of the female characters in 1780s style -- except for George and Francis. Puzzling. Yet George still wore a powdered wig on occasion. Now that we're in the 1790s his clothing hasn't altered much and IIRC he still wore a wig on occasion.

Have you seen the images of Osborne Whitworth (s3)? Another character who is overly concerned with his clothes (in the novels). He was very foppish/dandified in the 77 series (that flowery coat!), and still punctilious about clothing (it seems) in this one (s3).

Oh yes, thought it may have been that he 'bats for the other side' lol

It's never crossed my mind that George would 'bat for the other side' although I do think that sometimes Ross' comments to him have gone straight through to the keeper 😉

Jack Farthing's interpretation has a homoerotic tone to it... I mean, he seemed genuinely hurt when Ross rejected him. His sole obsession is destroying Ross when he couldn't have him, going so far as to marry Elizabeth who is not the most socially advantageous woman for him to marry.

As for being a dandy, Aunt Agatha sure had a lot to say about his penchant for lace! Oh my, I would do anything to go shopping with George, provided I can match his spending ability

going so far as to marry Elizabeth who is not the most socially advantageous woman for him to marry

Definitely not the most socially advantageous when it comes to bringing money to the marriage, but she does have an ancient name and could trace her family back aeons, something George, as the grandson of a blacksmith, couldn't do. Maybe a bit of reflected glory, in George's mind? I do feel he loved her, or the idea of her; shoving it in Ross' face was at least a bonus.

Agreed... I do think he loved the idea of a woman like Elizabeth who represents everything he is not and has always been out of reach. He felt like "he made it" to the top. On the other hand, his uncle thought he could do better with 17 year-old heiresses in London. Some fans have mentioned that his desire for conquering the woman Ross desires and ruling in the seat of the Poldark dynasty Trenwith was an even bigger turn-on for George. Elizabeth was a means to an end - revenge against Ross.

In Cornwall society, marrying Elizabeth was pinnacle to George, but what little to did him in London society where titles and money meant everything. What I read Elizabeth was really a nobody in London here warm, sensuous women ruled London society.