Poldark : Will Poldark turn into Oldark? (Spoilers)

Will Poldark turn into Oldark? (Spoilers)

I've often criticized/mocked Oldark for its melodramatic, wildly nontextual climax in which Trenwith is torched by a mob and Ross rejoins the army. But the 30-second preview for Poldark episode 10 appears to show a similar army of enraged miners marching on the mansion (egged on by Jud Paynter??), with Ross and George fighting among the flames. And there's a shot of Ross in his redcoat uniform as well, although I suppose that could be a flashback.

If this is how episode 10 goes, I'll never believe that Horsfield came up with these (bad) ideas independently.

Re: Will Poldark turn into Oldark? (Spoilers)

Yes that preview was eerily familiar with Oldark and I am pissed or shall I say "this has cooked my grits." I can understand creativity to a point, but I have no interest in seeing Trenwith turned into Penrice. Although I do not mind George getting his face burned in the fire by George. Speaking of that, they are expanding George's lawyer role too much and since they killed George's parents off early (they should have budgeted to write those characters in and for that matter, a Joshua flashback talking to Charles before the actor's death) they should end Tom Harry early and Carey since he does not die until book 12 I believe.

Yes, "Penrice" was an awkward bit of silliness: an estate exactly like Trenwith in terms of location, history, and the presence of someone named Agatha, only not burned to the ground. I suppose that's what happens when you write yourself into a corner with too bold a departure from the established story. Ross's stint in the army also had to be quickly curtailed in the 1977 Oldark, or else there would have been no story at all.

Ross conveniently got the Ague (malaria) and was released from his commission - hence his return to Nampara - with bloody George mocking him to Elizabeth, saying Ross couldn't stand being under fire in France - but George certainly didn't enlist, so he was the coward, not Ross (all this was in Oldark).

Oldark?? What's that?

The 1970's series. The first season of the series was so over the top and off-base that WG spoke out on it publicly. In Oldark Trenwith is burnt to the grown, Elizabeth encourages George to kill Ross (which NEVER happens in the books), Ross prevents George from getting killed by the villagers/miners, and aids in Elizabeth's and George's escape. Then they rebuild Trenwith and call it Penrice.

Wow that is crazy considering how the newer series is going! I've never read the books but plan to one day! The author is passed right?

Oldark is my nickname for the original Poldark television series that ran in 1975 and 1977. Some other contributors here also have adopted the term because it's a quick, easy way to distinguish between the two different adaptations. (Also, the original program is pretty old, since it premiered 40 years before the new one!)

I personally think that Ross flirtation with the army is going to be very brief. I strongly suspect that it's a plot device that will enable him to actually "choose" Demelza rather than just defaulting to her. I've never seen the 70s series, or read the novels, but I've read how the reconciliation plays out. Seeing how this is playing out on screen, it seems like Ross' decision over whether he wants Elizabeth or Demelza doesn't even matter anymore because Elizabeth choose George. There's a finality in that choice. She faces a much greater risk of scandal if she had a an affair with Ross while being married than if she were widowed. She isn't going to cross that bridge…. I think he reconciliation will have more meaning if Ross actually picked a life with Demelza over an alternative. IMO the army option would be the start to making the separation from Demelza permanent. At a time when the marriage was under such strain, if he decided on a lifetime career in the army, in all but name the marriage would be over, and the pair could live separate lives.

And there's a shot of Ross in his redcoat uniform as well, although I suppose that could be a flashback.

From your lips to God's ears. I'd much rather see his 2-week absence from Demelza as him going to London to see Caroline and bring her and Dwight back together as written in the book.

I think the entire episode 9 dedicated to Demelza's anger and animosity between herself and Ross was sufficient enough and I must add - ALL I CAN TAKE! 😓, yet no sign of letting up from Demelza from this preview.

-Seeking perfection in life is dangerous because it makes the less perfect less than enough-VPBlamey

yet no sign of letting up from Demelza from this preview

From my experience, previews are so cleverly edited and strung together, that they don't always give a true picture of what's to come.

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

So true, SG. I need to remind myself that. 😀
S02E10 preview does look so much like Oldark, as Joseph said, although I think R&Ds reconciliation will probably not come as easy - if at all(?). The strain in their marriage is draining me! 😓 I fear DH might have opted to deviate to a more dramatic cliffhanger than how it ends in book 4. Guess We'll just have to wait and see.

-Seeking perfection in life is dangerous because it makes the less perfect less than enough-VPBlamey

Forgive me, but I haven't read beyond Warleggan (need to buy the next books soon). I know that the original book saga ended with George enclosing the land around Trenwith, and Demelza almost getting shot for trespass. The events that we see in last night's preview, ie. the angry miners marching on Trenwith, is that inspired by events in the next book, The Black Moon? (I know what happened in Oldark.)

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

Toward the end of The Black Moon, in a completely different context, Ross threatens George by suggesting that he could rouse the miners in the land if he wanted to. But it does not happen. There is never a mob attack on Trenwith.

Surely Elizabeths pregnancy would be obvious in Episode 10??

Joeseph, you have probably seen this preview as well, but I'll repost the link mind84 has given us:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04dqjqz

If this is how episode 10 goes, I'll never believe that Horsfield came up with these (bad) ideas independently.

LOL! True, but then didn't DH first introduce Dwight as Ross's buddy from the army? Guess Dwight was forced to change armed service branches right quick, lol.
This is the same woman who must have not read that far in advance when she wrote Series 1.

Edited to add these youtube comments from someone who probably does not know of Oldark:

Kathryn Leal18 hours ago
How frustrating this trailer is! I went back into my book and can find nothing where Ross even hinted at going back to war. This final episode is where Demelza and Ross finally reconcile. I sincerely hope that the writers have not changed the story so drastically!

Kathryn Leal53 minutes ago (edited)
Yes, but nothing I've seen in the new trailer is from the book. Ross does not go to war either for England or against George. He confronts George on his terms, not with an angry group of men with pitchforks, and if this stuff is going on, then how do we reconcile it to what happens in the book. There is so very much that happens before Book 4 ends; I'm afraid all these extra details added by the scriptwriters will push the true story to the side.

Kathryn Leal18 hours ago
How frustrating this trailer is! I went back into my book and can find nothing where Ross even hinted at going back to war.

You can tell your friend that actually, there is a very brief reference in Warleggan, during the conversation on the beach. Ross tells Demelza that after his meeting with Tonkin and Blewitt, he's now in a position to reopen Wheal Grace again. "If I did not do that, I should go to the war, and at the moment I have no special wish for that again." Of course, Wheal Grace started producing richly, so the army option did not need a second glance.