Poldark : Does Demelza know - spoilers in book

Does Demelza know - spoilers in book

Does anyone know when / if Demelza finds out about the love child and if so what her reaction is? I can imagine that after accepting her husband back (which is what happens in the books) she would not be happy knowing he is the father of Elizabeth's child??

Re: Does Demelza know - spoilers in book

Demelza is informed by Verity in a letter that it is rumoured that Elizabeth is pregnant around the end of September. Ross and Demelza do not reconcile until Christmas. Demelza suspects that Elizabeth might be pregnant with Ross child but it is never clearly stated if Valentine is Ross' son. Elizabeth was the only one that knew who's son Valentine was and she never divulged that information. I will say one thing, there is 40 weeks between May 9th and February 14th, if he was Ross' son then he would have been at least a two weeks late baby. The parentage of Valentine is a bone of contention until the very end of the books.

there is 40 weeks between May 9th and February 14th, if he was Ross' son then he would have been at least a two weeks late baby.

When I was pregnant, my obstetrician told me pregnancies are 'normally' of 40 weeks' duration (10 lunar months) - of course, some deliver a bit early and some a bit late. I recall in Oldark that Aunt Agatha commented to Elizabeth that she was low and ye be early (meaning to be so low - it is usual for the baby to drop close to delivery) and that's when Elizabeth went upstairs and managed to trip (accidentally-on purpose maybe?) and she went into labour and gave birth to Valentine. Later (much later, after Agatha had put the seeds of doubt into his head) George spoke to Dr Behenna about whether Valentine was early and remarked on the usual signs of prematurity, none of which he (George) observed in Valentine. I wonder if Elizabeth fudged her dates so that there'd be no gossip? As Valentine grows, he looks more and more like Ross and as Ross and George are polar opposites in build, I can't see how George could be his father - Ross was tall, long limbed and lean, George shorter, stocky and with a bull neck. Poor Ursula though - she did take after the Warleggan side 😞. I recall that in later years (in the books, not Oldark), George comments that none of Elizabeth's children looked like her and that Geoffrey Charles was like Frances, Valentine like Ross and Ursula like him.

Your due date is calculated by adding 280 days (40 weeks) to the first day of your last menstrual period (assuming a 28 day cycle). Note that your menstrual period and ovulation are counted as the first two weeks of pregnancy. If you deliver on your due date, your baby is actually only 38 weeks old, not 40.

Due date calculator

Congratulations on your pregnancy, so the next big question is when’s the baby due? Our calculator can give you an estimated date if you fill in the details below.

Enter the date of the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP):

Enter the date of the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP):

Open Calendar
Enter your average cycle duration:

Enter your average cycle duration:
Get my due date
The average pregnancy is calculated at 40 weeks (or 280 days) from the start of your last menstrual period (LMP).
Remember, babies rarely keep to an exact timetable, so a full-term pregnancy can be anywhere between 37 and 42 weeks.

Aunt Agatha commented to Elizabeth that she was low and ye be early (meaning to be so low - it is usual for the baby to drop close to delivery) and that's when Elizabeth went upstairs and managed to trip (accidentally-on purpose maybe?) and she went into labour and gave birth to Valentine.

This is confusing. Why would she want to induce labour early? Wasn't it in her interest to delay the birth as long as possible?

Elizabeth does confirm that Valentine was a full-term child. In "The Angry Tide" after she hesitates for a second, she tells the quack (Dr Anslem) "Yes" when he asks if her other 2 pregnancies were full-term.

In "Bella Poldark" we hear Ross' thoughts after Valentine's death that he's lost another son.

I'd have loved it if WG had found a way to clear it up so that Val was George's son - mainly because I loathe George and want him to suffer for his years of harshness to that guiltless child.

(I got pretty mad at Ross too when Val comes right out and asks Ross "are you my father?". His answer also put Val at the bottom of the list of importance.)

Dr Jason Bull: Don't give up on people, they're all we've got.

How exactly did Ross respond when Valentine asked him he was his really his father?

I've actually heard that the villagers continue to gossip about Valentine's paternity for decades. Apparently when Valentine names his first born son George, someone asks him why he didn't name the child "Ross".

How exactly did Ross respond when Valentine asked him he was his really his father?

Ross told Val if he ever tried to lay claim to Ross as his father there'd be 2 men wanting to kill him - Ross himself and George.

One more slap-down for Valentine. He was the child (and later an adult) that no one really wanted and they all let him know it.

Valentine was Ross's son.

'For His mercies endures forever ' - Psalms

Valentine was Ross's son.

As far as I'm aware (because I only have the first four books), Valentine's paternity was never stated unequivocally. It was left to speculation.

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

Valentine's paternity is in no doubt in the Angry Tide. Valentine is Ross' son and in the later books Ross goes after his grandchild by Valentine so George can have no claims on him.

"Though Elizabeth had been constitutionally strong enough, perhaps some exhaustion in the ancient Chynoweth strain was to be the cause of this virtual obliteration of her personal appearance in any of her children, and the dominance of the three fathers. Geoffrey Charles was already like Francis. Valentine would grow ever more like the man who had just left the house. And little Ursula would become sturdy and strong and thick-necked and as determined as a blacksmith."

Ross is the man the left the house after seeing Elizabeth's dead body.

Graham, Winston. The Angry Tide: A Novel of Cornwall 1798-1799 (Poldark Book 7) (p. 602). Pan Macmillan. Kindle Edition.

I stand corrected! Thanks, rfrf.

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

that he's lost another son?

Not another child? Did he lose any other of his sons?

Did he lose any other of his sons?

Jeremy, sadly.

Was he an adult though?

Yes. An adult. And the circumstances are heartbreaking. I cried like a baby.
On the other side, I cheered at the death of another "2nd generation books" character.

Sorry gang, I've been involved in this universe; 1970s series and all the books, for so long I forget there are those with no involvement with the books or, as it's being referred to here, "Oldark".

Who was the other death you applauded? I can't do spoilers on my phone but I also hated one character in particular and was so glad when he died.

Ok now i'm on my desktop. I'm glad Stephen died. HATED HIM!