Poldark : Top 5 Worst Things Ross Says to Demelza After the VBT (Book spoilers)

Top 5 Worst Things Ross Says to Demelza After the VBT (Book spoilers)

I actually compiled this material more than a year ago, but never posted it because, frankly, it was too awful. But now that the British audience has seen the VBT, and the American audience has at least heard/read about it, it's time. These are all pieces of conversations between Ross and Demelza in the latter part of Warleggan. Let's see how many make it into the final two episodes of Series 2 (hopefully none).

Top 5 Worst Things Ross Says to Demelza After the VBT

5. "'I think there is an etiquette even in adultery, and I cannot bring myself to discuss one woman with another, even when the second happens to be my wife.'"

In other words, I care less about your feelings than about my imaginary dignity and Elizabeth's privacy. But perhaps that was already obvious.

4. "Ross said: 'It is quite possible that Elizabeth's marriage to George will still take place.'
'Well, I'm sure you did your best to stop it.'
'No doubt I did.'"

No doubt at all! When Ross Poldark heads off on an adulterous mission, he doesn't hold back. You can always count on his maximum effort.

3. "'I haven't seen Elizabeth this week-end,' he said quietly enough but the muscles tight in his cheek.
'Was there some hitch at the last moment? I thought 'twas all arranged.'
'I was at Looe,' he said, 'with Tonkin and Blewett. I don't lie to you, Demelza. When I go to Elizabeth, I will tell you of it.'"

Notice the expert twirl of the knife: "when I go to Elizabeth." Yes, you probably will have another such outing to suffer through. But at least give me credit for being an honest man. I don't sneak around -- I stick it right in your face!

2. "'How did you come to feel that, Ross? What persuaded you of it? I mean, the experience itself can't hardly have been unpleasant.'
'What experience?'
'Of making love to Elizabeth.'
'No -- far from it.'"

"Far from it"?! So, did I enjoy cheating on you and sexing up Elizabeth? You bet I did! Is "Hell, yeah!" part of the Cornish vocabulary?

1. "Well, I don't think I admire your attitude, either then or now! I take no pride in my visit to Elizabeth. But the thing was the outcome of a devotion which had lasted on my side for more than ten years."

The amazingly toxic 10-year devotion! In other words, I've been yearning for Liz ever since I got back from America -- including for the entirety of our marriage! Was Elizabeth ever not between us? Was anything I ever said to you, anything I ever promised you, actually true? Who knows?

Could any cheating spouse ever confess anything more damaging? "Don't worry, honey, this wasn't a cheap one-night stand -- I've always loved her!" There seems little that Demelza could say in response to this enormity. Maybe the best thing to do would have been to say nothing, walk away, and walk out.

Re: Top 5 Worst Things Ross Says to Demelza After the VBT (Book spoilers

Post of the month.

Sorry, but I can't stop laughing, it's so well-written. Oh my God, if this hero turns out that bad...

Words fail.

*Gasps*

I'd actually put money some of these making it into the series. After all, DB already went out of her way to make Ross say hurtful comments which weren't part of the series. "Hurt pride" and "No choice" indeed....

Which weren't in the books I mean

I'd actually put money some of these making it into the series.

Tienes razón.

Amazingly, the top two worst comments on the list -- remarks so horrendous that even the dumbest, most insensitive married man on earth would know better than to utter them -- both appeared in the Christmas Eve reconciliation.

"Demelza, I must speak with you about Elizabeth. You need to know that I've been devoted to her for my entire adult life, and that I sure had a good time in bed with her six months ago. But other than that, she means nothing to me. Can't we put all this behind us?"

I have no problem with any of this being in the series. He's not a romantic hero. Let the sun shine in!!!

All the more why I had/have no problem with Demelza getting her groove on with Hugh, even if it was well over a year since May 9. No time limit for Demelza in my book.

All the more why I had/have no problem with Demelza getting her groove on with Hugh, even if it was well over a year since May 9. No time limit for Demelza in my book.

Oh, yes! All the women in my FB Poldark groups (and they number in the hundreds, with more joining every day) are clamoring for revenge sex ASAP. Some of the scenarios they've come up with have been golden, lol. I doubt many will hold Demelza's eventual dalliance with adultery against her. As one poster put it:

Ross is the one who devalued his marriage so he can hardly hold it against Demelza for treating it with the same ill regard that he has demonstrated it deserves.

God, these are the worst! Is Ross really as intelligent as portrayed? He shows very flawed logic in that last quote.

I am laughing at your comments, though. :) Thank you for compiling these.

"Demelza, I must speak with you about Elizabeth. You need to know that I've been devoted to her for my entire adult life, and that I sure had a good time in bed with her six months ago. But other than that, she means nothing to me. Can't we put all this behind us?"

Oh my goodness! So was all this in the book or in the previous Poldark? Or both or some? I mean, oh my freaking gosh! How can they keep the man the "hero" of the show when saying such incredibly in-eloquent words to his wife? My gosh, if I was watching that I might throw dishes and silverware at the tv screen!

These are all pieces of conversations between Ross and Demelza in the latter part of Warleggan.
So they are from the books.

Thanks Joseph ...

"'I think there is an etiquette even in adultery, and I cannot bring myself to discuss one woman with another, even when the second happens to be my wife.'"

Yikes! Ross's narcissism has been evident for sometime, further evidence he is bordering on sociopathy.

I say bring back Francis, the Poldark with a conscience!

I just realized something. As a total stranger to either the novels or the former series, I found the opening five minutes of "Poldark's" very first episode jarring. Poldark returns to find the love of his life married to his cousin, after never bothering to communicate his still being 1) in the land of the living; and 2) in love with her. Dropping a "true love" for years without end, and then getting an itch to look her up... Ross Poldark would have made one heck of a Facebook stalker.

In Ross' defense here I think he tried but they didn't make it to Elizabeth. He was also recovering from injuries for some time. Elizabeth wasn't married yet when he returned...only engaged when he entered the room...plus he had just learned of his father's death and Ross being a gentleman and I guess out of some respect for his cousin he didn't interfere at that point. Elizabeth had also told him she loved Francis and he should basically move on (at the urging of her mother but she still did tell him she was marrying Francis).

I'll join your defense of Ross only to the extent he appears to be a troubled man throughout what I've seen of the series and possibly continuing to the end.

His thinking/feeling world is skewed. He's inconsistent, and although he commits some acts of kindness, he does not think an action through prior to taking it.

Time for me to read the last 50 or so pages of The Angry Tide. 😉

Facebook stalker ... 😀

Before posting the thought occurred to me, RP is very much akin to Walter White, (Breaking Bad), and Tony Soprano, (The Sopranos). None are equipped with self-monitoring, insight, or responsibility for actions taken.

In deference to the writer, WG was writing for a different time/audience.

I've read little of the books, but another issue I have with the series is with some of the dialogue, e.g., answering a question with a question. RP does this frequently. I don't care for it and consider it lazy while attempting to control the narrative.

No only do I want to see Francis return,(I'm in campaign mode), 😀 but I want to see Demelza free. 😀

Delmeza should end up with Dwight and Ross with Elizabeth, those couples more suited to one another

I've read little of the books, but another issue I have with the series is with some of the dialogue, e.g., answering a question with a question. RP does this frequently. I don't care for it

Do you not?

Ha!

Only when I view poorly written series ... 😀

Yikes! Ross's narcissism has been evident for sometime, further evidence he is bordering on sociopathy.

When his character is assessed as a whole, across all the books, I don't consider Ross a sociopath by any means. But in Warleggan, I think he does come uncomfortably close. With respect to a television adaptation of that novel, my two main talking points have been (1) if the VBT were dramatized as anything close to what appears on the page, everyone would hate Ross, and (2) if the VBT aftermath were adapted faithfully as well, everyone would really hate Ross.

Point 1 was not a difficult prediction to make. Sure enough, judging from the commentary by fans all over the Web, it appears that the three camps of "looked consensual to me," "they're promoting rape myths," and "that was straight-up rape" have one common opinion: they hate Ross now.

Now we will see how far Horsfield goes in frankly depicting his post-VBT behavior. As horrible as the VBT was, it was at least confined to single berserk night, not to be repeated. The six months that follow in the novel constitute a long, deliberate pattern by Ross of failing to apologize, refusing to acknowledge his wife's feelings in any serious way, and generally treating his own ego and emotional concerns as the only things entitled to respect or solicitude. This stretch of months is where the charge of sociopathy can have some bite.

Point 1 was not a difficult prediction to make. Sure enough, judging from the commentary by fans all over the Web, it appears that the three camps of "looked consensual to me," "they're promoting rape myths," and "that was straight-up rape" have one common opinion: they hate Ross now.

First - your original post was enlightening when presented as a group and LOL for your comments.

Second - It will be interesting to see how DH rehabilitates Ross in the audience's eye, if she even can? For most of the viewers it is Demelza's show now. It will be difficult if Ross is to remain the main protagonist to have him be so universally hated. After all the genre doesn't lend itself to the anti-hero such as Walter White or Tony Soprano. The complexity and moral ambiguity of the character is one of the reasons Ross Poldark is so unique in Romantic Historical Fiction and in Period Drama. It is certainly, a main draw for my interest as I find the straight up Hero who can do no wrong boring.

I think people should truly educate themselves on what narcissism and sociopathy means from the DSM-5 before they start using the words freely. Ross is not even close to either...SMH.

I am well educated and informed on the topic, and familiar with the DSM.

I believe Imdb posters need to be well informed on the power of bots and Amazon's marketing influence with the use thereof.

Good grief. I'd have thrown the jackass out and set all his clothes and personal belongings on fire.

Uh...No.

Just no

No. 4 can be checked off the list: "No doubt I did." He said it! Thank you YouTube excerpts.

Ross also said some absurd things that are unique to the adaptation, such as, "Have a little patience. This thing will play itself out ... sooner or later." LOL. I actually think these remarks are good representations of what Ross in the novel was probably thinking, but they certainly sound terrible when muttered aloud.

I also like the fact that TV Demelza has zeroed in on what what I've always believed was her state of mind after it became clear that Ross would not be leaving her (or at least not immediately): "Because Elizabeth does not want you? Because she knows George is the better bet." Exactly. This conclusion on her part is the logical consequence of "No doubt I did" + "Ross still at Nampara."

After watching episode 9, I'm just having trouble figuring out why Ross says the line in #4, "No doubt I did." Not sure how it was meant in the book but Aidan didn't say it in a way that could be construed as bragging or self-satisfied but I can't figure out what he means by it. What is his intention in saying it at all?

Of course, I sat there stunned through most of that episode, simply stunned at the stupid and insensitive things that kept coming out of his mouth. If he wasn't going to say "I'm sorry" or "Forgive me" he would've been better off keeping his mouth shut, lol.

After watching episode 9, I'm just having trouble figuring out why Ross says the line in #4, "No doubt I did." Not sure how it was meant in the book but Aidan didn't say it in a way that could be construed as bragging or self-satisfied but I can't figure out what he means by it. What is his intention in saying it at all?

Ross is finally able to be at peace with Elizabeth's nuptials because he knows that he left no stone nor bedsheet unturned in his crusade of sabotage! :)

Maybe I'm just being dense today but I still don't get it. Is he sad, for himself, that he failed? Is he making a subtle dig at himself - "leave it to me to do the most bone-headed thing a person could do"?

I got the impression from the books (which I read years ago) and from the original series that he realized he had been chasing an illusion. That Elizabeth was selfish and vacuous compared to Demelza and that there is very little soul to touch in anything as intimate as sex.

The Fabio Principle: Puffy shirts look best on men who look even better without them.

I got the impression from the books (which I read years ago) and from the original series that he realized he had been chasing an illusion. That Elizabeth was selfish and vacuous compared to Demelza

Of course, in this series, Ross doesn't believe this Elizabeth is selfish or vacuous. (She takes an interest in mining, she tightens her belt after Grambler closes, etc.) Here, I got the impression that from the moment he returns to Nampara the next morning, he realizes that he still loves Demelza, he is sorry that he has hurt her, and he doesn't want to lose her - which is why he still sticks around and hopes to get things with her back to normal. Of course, it is another matter that he doesn't say and do the right things that will get things back to normal.

"No doubt I did." Not sure how it was meant in the book but Aidan didn't say it in a way that could be construed as bragging or self-satisfied but I can't figure out what he means by it. What is his intention in saying it at all?

The way Aidan delivered the line "No doubt I did", I detected a combination of ruefullness and self-disparaging. Ross finally realizes that Demelza is the woman his heart desires as his wife; isn't it the always the way that one never truly appreciates what one has until one loses it. Elizabeth was correct, though, in a way, there will be a part of Elizabeth in Ross' heart and he in hers forever but the obsession has lost it's hold.

Ross is absolutely rubbish at apologies; the guy has little or no emotional intelligence.He knows he has to say something but has no idea on what to say. He should have asked his best friend, Dwight, to write something out for him to memorize.

I detected a combination of ruefullness and self-disparaging.

Those are the words I was looking for. Thanks,nmadura.

isn't it the always the way that one never truly appreciates what one has until one loses it.

So true.
Do you recall, in season 1 ep 3, he says to Demelza, "Sometimes I don't see what's right in front of me."?

Well, Ross said No. 1 as well: boasting of the hideous the 10-year devotion! So far, TV Ross has earned 7 out of a possible 15 malediction points (I haven't seen the whole episode yet).

And 7 points is the final score, because items 5, 3, and 2 did not show up on-screen. But Ross should consider himself lucky that I did not assign any points for any of the new maledictions that Horsfield put into his mouth.