Poldark : Aunt Agatha and Elizabeth (SPOILER)

Aunt Agatha and Elizabeth (SPOILER)

So after Lizzie and Georgie get married, does Aunt Agatha go to live in the big big house with them? Her and George hate each other and I wondered.

Re: Aunt Agatha and Elizabeth

I think in the book they all continue to live at Trenwith (along with Elizabeth's parents).
I suppose George feels that living in tiny Trenwith is more prestigious than living in his big house. ;-)

Really? Hmm very interesting especially after he told her of his big house being four times the size of hers to woo her further into the marriage.

Really?

Of course, they may change things in the show. Not really sure (because Trenwith burns down later), but I think where Elizabeth continues to live is a fairly minor plot point.

The event you mention in the spoiler occurred only in Oldark, not in the novels. It's very unlikely to be repeated in the current program.

IIRC from the book, George and Elizabeth do live at his big house for a while, but his parents are still there (despite plans to have moved out into a house of their own by then). I can't recall how long before they moved into Trenwith.

His big house is not only his but I believe the Warleggen's family. But the real reason IMO is another twisting of the knife in Ross. Trenwith is the Poldark family estate and Ross would have spend a lot of time there growing up. Ross is very comfortable in Trenwith, it contains part of his heritage. Now George not only has Elizabeth but as stepfather to Geoffrey Charlse (who Trenwith now belongs to) has control of the Poldark Family estate.

Re: Aunt Agatha and Elizabeth (SPOILER)

I binged the version from the 1970s about a year ago, just after this version started to air, and if I remember correctly, in the version from the 70s, I think Aunt Agatha dies close to when George & Elizabeth marry, or sometime somewhat soon afterward.

In Oldark, Aunt Agatha dies about two and a half years after George & Elizabeth marry - Valentine gets rickets when he's about 18 months old and he's very ill when Aunt Agatha is planning her 100th birthday party. George puts a spanner in the works, says he can't condone her celebrating her 100th birthday when she's only 98 (according to the family Bible), there's an intense argument between them, she says she hopes George is very proud to be the father of an "eight month brat" (ie born at 8 months gestation) but then says maybe he wasn't early and that either he and Elizabeth anticipated their vows or that George isn't Valentine's father and that "someone else was riding her afore ye". George is enraged at the suggestions and he shakes her violently, all the time yelling at her until she falls off the perch.

LOL Okay now I remember part of that about Agatha's 100th birthday on Oldark, though I hadn't realized Agatha's insinuations meant she'd thought Elizabeth had slept with someone else, not just that she'd guessed Elizabeth & George may have had premarital sex or something. lol Although perhaps that does explain a little better what ended up being the final scene of Oldark lol

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

George is enraged at the suggestions and he shakes her violently, all the time yelling at her until she falls off the perch

Wow if some of this is included in the next season, sounds like an exciting one. Did George have anything to do with her death?

In Oldark George was mighty damned angry, almost spluttering spit in his rage (because of Agatha's assertions about Valentine's conception), but I don't think he intended to cause her death. She was 98/100 (depending on whose maths we go by LOL) and very frail, so she could have left this mortal coil at any time - it may well have just been coincidence that she did so when having this confrontation with George, whom she hated with a passion (and delighted in vexing him regularly LOL).

At one time, when George and Elizabeth were in London, they left Agatha relatively alone (with just a very slovenly maid to 'care' for her) and Ross went with Caroline to Penrice to see his aunt (remember, in Oldark Trenwith had burned down - Penrice was Agatha's family home, which Charles Poldark had mortgaged to another bank but the Warleggan Bank had bought that bank and acquired the mortgage. Elizabeth had suggested to George they could live at Penrice and care for Agatha). Agatha was extremely pleased to see Ross, wondered if he was 'whoring again' (like his father) as she didn't know Caroline. Ross suggested she come to live at Nampara, but she preferred to stay at Penrice and taunt George saying "I hate him and he hate me" and that she liked to 'get him riled up just like a ram's cat'. One of her great pleasures was to annoy George as much as she could (and she did LOL)

At one time, when George and Elizabeth were in London, they left Agatha relatively alone (with just a very slovenly maid to 'care' for her) and Ross went with Caroline to Penrice to see his aunt (remember, in Oldark Trenwith had burned down - Penrice was Agatha's family home, which Charles Poldark had mortgaged to another bank but the Warleggan Bank had bought that bank and acquired the mortgage. Elizabeth had suggested to George they could live at Penrice and care for Agatha). Agatha was extremely pleased to see Ross, wondered if he was 'whoring again' (like his father) as she didn't know Caroline. Ross suggested she come to live at Nampara, but she preferred to stay at Penrice and taunt George saying "I hate him and he hate me" and that she liked to 'get him riled up just like a ram's cat'. One of her great pleasures was to annoy George as much as she could (and she did LOL)

Thanks for all of that Poldark education. One thing stood out, why was Ross going with Caroline to see Aunt Agatha? I look forward to the sparring between Agatha and George...just wish she was a little younger and stronger so it would be fair fights.

Ross was going to go to see Agatha on his own, but Demelza was worried about George's thugs (Sid Rowse and Tom & Harry Harry) so Caroline said she'd go with him as she was welcome at the Warleggan home and they wouldn't dare challenge her. Caroline was a great friend to Ross & Demelza (along with Dwight - they were their best friends).

Have to say me and my daughter in law both shed tears last night in the scenes with Agatha and Elizabeth, where as the Aunt started out teasing Elizabeth rather cruely about her attraction with Ross it was apparent by the end that she was hoping Ross would join them, the scene when they both think he has arrived and the look on their faces when he did'nt really set me off, lol

Agatha was much more likeable in the original series. I loved watching her get George's goat.

The Fabio Principle: Puffy shirts look best on men who look even better without them.

As I recall, Aunt Agatha liked Demelza in the original series (and the books). She never once even gave the appearance that she wanted Ross to walk out on his wife and child (only Geoffery Charles at the time of Frances' death) and move in with Elizabeth as his mistress.

Her vindictiveness toward George was well warranted. He was horrible to her right from the get-go. Unfortunately her hatred for George overrode her better sense and affected Elizabeth & Valentine and ultimately Ursula as well. In the books, just before she dies after her "win" against George, she appears to regret her words to him asking herself "what have I done?".

Dr Jason Bull: Don't give up on people, they're all we've got.

She never once even gave the appearance that she wanted Ross to walk out on his wife and child

Then again, in the book, she doesn't know of Ross' visit, does she? When she taunts George, she is only speculating.

(only Geoffery Charles at the time of Frances' death)

What does this mean? Did you mean only Jeremy?

Yes reading back I think thats what she means