Poldark : Okay i don't typically support female violence , however

Okay i don't typically support female violence , however

I desperately need to see Demelza ride over to trenwith and slap the ever loving hell out of elizabeth.. Manners, civility all of it be damned .. I know ross was in the wrong here but that biatch befriended demelza , stood over her sick bed , and held her hand throughout alot of their struggles.. That little smirk on elizabeth's face when Ross rode off OMG !!!!! How can anyone, i mean anyone at this point sympathize with that snake? Don't give me that "she's a woman of the time" and such because so is verity and so are alot of women but elizabeth is case all of her own...

Re: Okay i don't typically support female violence , however

Elizabeth is so nice, so far as I've gotten...(episode where Ross fights George at the tavern, and Demelza goes into labour in the boat and subsequently gives birth)

obviously the very devil must have gotten into her, from the spoiler headers I'm seeing..how tragic.

Actress is Icelandic...how 'bout that.Holy Cod Wars, Batman.

Elizabeth pays. Oh, how she pays...

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

She certainly does, SG and on so many levels.

Unfortunately, the one innocent person in the whole thing pays too. Not to blame at all but how Valentine is treated as a child forms what he'll be like as an adult.

Dr Jason Bull: Don't give up on people, they're all we've got.

So in this version is Valentine 'Warleggan' actually supposed to be Ross' child (biologically)? Or is he George's son? I've only seen the end to the 1970s version, and there it was far more vague, if so. (Or I would've never guessed that would've supposed the have been the case.)

Re: Okay i don't typically support female violence , however (SPOILERS)

So it is really true..what goes around, comes around Supergran? I would assume just marrying George (and his great big house) she will pay?

No. It comes later. All because George did not let Agatha have her birthday.

'For His mercies endures forever ' - Psalms

Because George was mean to a very old lady and wanted to destroy her by devastating her.

In the book; after George leaves Aunt Agatha she calms down and begins to thing "what I have I done?" regretting what she's done to Valentine and Elizabeth by spewing her venom on George. She dies a few minutes later regretting her outburst.

Dr Jason Bull: Don't give up on people, they're all we've got.

So, George does kill Aunt Agatha after all!? He would be delighted to know how effective he is, except that her payback has set a second level of evil in motion that will cause hurt for a few more generations.

Certainly do make one stop and think about the ramifications in acting and speaking rashly. The problem is that many people living today behave with the same recklessness to those who love them as any time in the past. The Poldark Saga is one of the best fiction cautionary sagas written.

For real life competitors I would suggest the Lancasters, York, and Tudors.

A Checkered Life speaks of myriad diverse adventures being the rewards of endless curiosity.

I have not read the Poldark novels. In the beginning of the story, I just thought Elizabeth was going to be a first love mirage. She was attractive but nowhere as attractive as they make her out to be. If I were a man, I would choose Demelza who only seems to grow more beautiful as time passes. Comparatively, Elizabeth is not allowing herself to smile so she doesn't develop "laugh lines." She was going to be married off and Ross was never going to see her again. WRONG. I wanted to see Ross move on and find happiness with Demelza or just about anyone else but but Elizabeth. Elizabeth instead became a major character who literally showed up more often than necessary. She was a drag to watch. Elizabeth is a very shallow character. She had the chance to marry Ross when he returned from the war but she proceeded with the marriage to Francis. She is a very ambitious character who uses her beauty to manipulate others.

I feel exactly the same way about Elizabeth. She is beautiful but then so is demelza, so apart from that I don't really think she has any redeeming qualities.

Comparatively, Elizabeth is not allowing herself to smile so she doesn't develop "laugh lines."

It's funny that you should mention that without having read the novels. Somewhere in one of the books is a passage in which Graham describes how Elizabeth has discovered that smiling not only causes facial creases, but also conceals them. She therefore resolves to smile more in public, but less in private.

Joseph, that scene was also in the show

I couldn't agree more. Demelza's beauty seems to grow exponentially as time passes. I would much rather have her, as she is the whole package: she's shown she has the ability to adapt to any situation, she is extremely kind, humble, altruistic, passionate, loyal, nurturing, charming, warm, funny, and gorgeous. Elizabeth is beautiful, no doubt. However, it's also certain that she is conniving, ungracious, cold, dishonorable, disloyal, and selfish.

Demelza is a true heroine. She has all the qualities anyone would want. This situation between Ross and Elizabeth emphasizes how men and women deal with infidelity; generally, men can cheat and love both women at the same time, while a woman cheats when she loses respect/love for her man but would find it hard to love more than one man at the same time. For Ross and some men, the more women the merrier, regardless of the quality of their characters. I have not read the novels but the fans mention how Elizabeth lived in a gilded cage. She lived in Trenwith for years without having left the house more than a handful of times, living a life of quiet desperation. She was desperate to feel alive and Ross gave her that outlet. Ross wanted to possess Elizabeth before George Warleggan could.

Lol the men in my house disagree, Demelza a moaning, winging fruit bat to them.

^She's a "moaning, winging fruit bat" only when she says something they don't like, i.e. the truth ;-)

She's a "moaning, winging fruit bat" only when she says something they don't like, i.e. the truth

Lol!

Funny how nagging is an adjective more commonly applied to the female sex! We can't win!

I rather like these "nagging" quotes:

Nagging is the repetition of unpalatable truths.

Her nagging is a sign that she cares. Silence means she's already plotting your death.

Ladies, if a man says he will fix it, he will. There's no need to remind him every 6 months about it!

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

If it takes him 6 months to do something (or not), she should leave him

LOL! Love these, especially the unpalatable truths one.

And there's a very simple way to stop someone from nagging. Just do the things you're supposed to do when you're supposed to do them. Easy peasy.

If Demelza "nags" it's generally because Ross isn't doing what he's supposed to (making sure there is food in the house) or else he's doing what he shouldn't (risking hanging by doing illegal things). But yeah, that nagging Demelza. How dare she want to eat and not want Ross to swing from a noose. Heaven forfend!

But Ross is a man, and a very attractive one at that, so I guess he should be able to be as reckless as he wants, no matter the effect the potential consequences would have on his family (it'd be different if he was single), and Demelza should just grin and bear it like a good, submissive, little wife.