Poldark : Preview S02E09 + 1

Preview S02E09 + 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04cqcy1

Ross looks good in black and blue.😉

Here's another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRycv0i2l58

-Seeking perfection in life is dangerous because it makes the less perfect less than enough-VPBlamey

Re: Preview S02E09

Thank you very much!

Wow.

I love how he thinks she will just take him back like he did nothing wrong! I hope she decides to keep to her guns !!!!

Ross looks good in black and blue.

Ha ha!

I like how Demelza is finally having tea in bed like a Victorian lady.

"Forfeit" - loved that she said it, but we know that is not true.

That he does. Never was a shiner better deserved!

I didn't know they had preview clips for the show.

I like how cool Demelza is in this one, not letting Ross off the hook. I also hope she sticks to her guns.

I like to think Francis would be proud of her after everything he said the last time they were together.

Initially, I thought Francis and then Demelza were making too much of what was once between Ross and Elizabeth, but then, I tend to forget what was at stake socially and financially in the 18th century for both men and women when it came to infidelity. I also had too much faith in both of them to overcome their baser desires, especially when Francis changed for the better and Elizabeth grew to love him again. But then, I haven't read the books. I'd never heard of Poldark until I ran across the series.

what was at stake socially and financially in the 18th century for both men and women when it came to infidelity.

Was there any consequence for men in those days?

I haven't read the books.

I also haven't read beyond the first book, but I understand that the infidelity* is a key event that has repercussions in the lives of Elizabeth and George at least.

*I hope we no longer need spoiler tags for this.

***Bows to Demelza***

I don't think there was much consequence for men back in those days for infidelity. It was fairly common for gentleman to have mistresses. If I am mistaken someone please correct me.

Was there any consequence for men in those days?

Well, in England at the time that Poldark takes place, there was one law that could have affected men. It was known as "Alienation of Affection." It still exists in some parts of the U.S.

For example, if Ross' behaviour resulted in Demelza and her son being left without his presence and support, she could sue Elizabeth for having caused this by leading Ross astray, particularly if there was no evidence that their marriage was troubled at the time it began (Prudy and Jud could certainly attest to that). The injured party did not have to prove that actual adultery took place. The premise was that a man had a legal obligation to support his wife and children and did so out of love.

There is also the loss of social reputation and, in this case, the fact that George now considers Elizabeth to be his fiancée. Naturally, if she now breaks off the engagement, he would have means of revenge that Ross is really in no position to protect her from, something he didn't consider in his impulsive rush to put a stop to her marrying George.

I also haven't read beyond the first book, but I understand that the infidelity* is a key event that has repercussions in the lives of Elizabeth and George at least.

*I hope we no longer need spoiler tags for this.

That doesn't surprise me.

As for the spoiler tag, I used the iOS app to write that message, which doesn't have that option and, considering the thread title, I didn't think it was necessary to mark it as such. Anyone who hasn't seen episode eight, shouldn't be looking at a preview of the next one or anything about it.

I think you mean "Criminal Conversation" (or Crim Con), not Alienation of Affection, and I'm pretty sure women were prohibited from suing for their husband's infidelities.

I think you mean "Criminal Conversation" (or Crim Con), not Alienation of Affection, and I'm pretty sure women were prohibited from suing for their husband's infidelities.

I don't think you read my message thoroughly. Criminal Conversation was similar to, but not the same as Alienation of Affection. In fact, Criminal Conversation was intended to be filed by men only.

As I said, in the case of Alienation of Affection, the injured party did not have to prove that actual adultery took place. That's because Alienation of Affection wasn't about infidelity, so much as it was about desertion and leaving a family without support. In such a case, the infidelity was implied and assumed. In the 18th century, this could mean leaving a wife and children dependent on others, destitute and begging in the streets, and possibly resulting in death, which is why common law would provide wronged wives with such a remedy. There had to be some consequence to adulterous and deserting husbands otherwise, what benefit would there ever have been for women in marrying and bearing children if their husbands could always go tom-catting around with impunity and abandon their families any time they pleased? Obviously, this happened to the poor all the time, but legal remedies weren't available to the poor.

And the example I provided, using the characters from the series, was hypothetical. After all, so far, what we have here is a one-off case of Ross committing adultery. We do not yet have desertion. But, in my original message, I mentioned consequences of infidelity for both men and women in the 18th century and the question was asked if there was any consequence for men. I provided the Alienation of Affection tort as a potential consequence.

Of course, since I posted that, someone else brought up another consequence of infidelity that could indirectly affect men: pregnancy. And the way that would affect the man is with the mother filing a good old fashioned paternity suit so she could get help supporting the child.

In fact, someone on Twitter brought up Elizabeth getting pregnant from this as a certainty. Do they know that from the books? Well, not having read them myself, I honestly don't know, but, I was pretty unimpressed, because if there ever was something that should have been marked as a spoiler (or not publicly posted on Twitter at all), that was it!

Re: Preview S02E09 (SPOILER)

Thank you! I was able to watch the UK viewing tonight but it did not show a preview.

Ross can really be so arrogant telling her he knew her pride was hurt. I mean COME ON!!!

Re: Preview S02E09 (SPOILER)

But he's so pretty with his shirt off or riding his horse along the coast.

(Searching for the emoticon which denotes sarcasm). 😀

Thanks so much for sharing that clip.

I never read the books either, way before my time and birth. But Ross' actions were nothing but that of pure testosterone drivin pride. He just had to have Elizabeth before George. Not that I mind because I can't stand that prick George, but Ross betrayed the "love of his life."

He was fueled with drink and jealousy. God men are so damn stupid sometimes.

And now Elizabeth will probably become pregnant with Ross' child. Well, at least it will make the show that much more intersting.

Seems like nothing has changed so much between then and now regarding propriety and infidelity? It's just no longer in the shadows in our society.

Nothing is in the shadows on this planet with the power of selfies and cell phone whether it belongs to a married or engaged or unrelated couple, singles or individuals passing in the street when one of them feels like it, even if the other is a stranger (adult or child of same or opposite sex) who does not.

Plus, if you a a white, powerful man who is a star, he is excused to do whatever because "he can" due to the aforementioned color, power, and status. Other countries probably have there own version of this privilege for men who choose to exercise it when they are sober or drunk, feeling the need or not, but because they "can".

I heard that recently on a tape of our current candidate for president, so it must be true.

So, no, nothing has changed in the last 200 - or, what - 6000 years of recorded history.

No cheers tonight, folks. It is all black out. Cause it is 1:48 AM.

So looking forward to November 9.

A Checkered Life speaks of myriad diverse adventures being the rewards of endless curiosity.

This is not the best time in the US to portray an adulterer as a hero. There is decidedly and appropriately a sensitivity to the plight of women.

Yes, to November 9th, onward and upward.

Would you like me to help you pack? 😀

And what does he answer, I never claimed to be perfect. 😀

(Me thinks DH is also writing copy for our male presidential candidate). 😀

(Me thinks DH is also writing copy for our male presidential candidate). 😀

I personally am aghast at my countries presidential candidates this election - BOTH of them are bottom of the barrel. I'm an independent(voted for either parties, depending upon the individual candidate in the past) and firmly believe that citizens must exercise their voting rights but I am in a real quandary this election. 😨

However, in the spirit of fairness if you are going to call out Trump you should also discuss Hillary. Bill Clinton has been accused of equally, if not worse, sexual behavior. Hillary stood by her man (for her own self interest, I'm sure) and actively went after, denigrated and pretty much verbally assaulted Bill's accusers. She successfully defended a guilty rapist of a child and then laughed and bragged of her success. Not quite the champion of women's rights as the mainstream media and loyal democrats portray her.👎👎

That's all I'm going to say as this is not the place for a political discourse.

Ugh! What nerve he has to tell her he understands her PRIDE has been hurt. Demelza should blacken his other eye for that patronizing remark.

Re: Preview S02E09 + 1

Going to the second video - is this to suggest that after cheating in his wife Ross goes to confront George?? Why would people also be joining him?

I am also guessing my hope that he gets pushed off the cliff does not happen 😢

IIRC I think that clip MIGHT have something to do with Ross confronting George for the assault on Demelza and Grarrick by George's gamekeepers for trespassing on 'his' property(?) The townspeople are also barred from walking the path that runs through what used to be Poldark land. In the book, Ross also went to Trenwith to make peace with George (Yes, Ross make peace with George - as if lol); not to be friends, but just be civil to one another. Not as I pictured it in the book - this clip, so maybe it's a totally different incident. The only other time I can think of when Ross went back to Trenwith was when he sorted out George's claim that Ross defrauded Geoffrey Charles' shares in Wheal Grace.

-Seeking perfection in life is dangerous because it makes the less perfect less than enough-VPBlamey

Oh okay that would make sense. I bet it's pride more than anything as he has shown pretty much what he thinks of Demelza this season and esp last week 😢.I guess him doing that though will show Elizabeth where his loyalties lie? I've seen spoilers from the books and they have more kids so they must make up at some stage!

They do make up at the end of book 4, so I think they will make up by the end of this season too, but probably not like the way they did in the book(?) I only say this because Demelza's character has changed in this adaptation and I can't seem to tie it with how their reconciliation happened in the book. DH has done such a good job throughout, I can hardly wait to see how she wrote this part.

Oh it won't happen in season two because it will make a good cliff hanger which will make us all sad as we'll have to wait until next year 😢.

I am still at the very angry stage lol. I really like the show otherwise!

I can't say anything definitive about episodes I haven't seen yet, but the producers were pretty clear that Series 2 would cover all of Jeremy Poldark and Warleggan, with Series 3 starting with The Black Moon. It would be a major surprise for the fate of Ross and Demelza's marriage to still be up in the air after episode 10 this year.

But with modern audiences and the way TV is run I would not be surprised if they do use it as a cliff hanger.

I've seen pics of them filming S3 and Demelza looks very pregnant so I'm guessing marital relations must start again soon.

Yes, Clowance will arrive in S.3. In Oldark, Demelza is heavily pregnant with Clowance when Ross goes to France to look for Dwight, who's a prisoner of war. Caroline and Dwight have reconciled at this time (just after he'd enlisted in the navy as a naval surgeon), but they haven't yet married. In Oldark, Jud was most affronted by Clowance's name, mistakenly thinking they'd called her "Clarence" - Prudie told him to 'skeet out yer ear-oles'. I miss Jud and Prudie as they were in Oldark .

Oh okay interesting. Poor woman - thank goodness for birth control :P. I must say that's a pretty terrible name :/.

When Clowance is born she's delivered by Dr Choake. I think the birth happens before Dwight and others on his ship are captured by the French.

The mission takes place after Morwenna's marriage to the odious Osborn Whitworth.
Drake, who pretty much has a death wish, goes with Ross & the others on the mission to break Dwight out of prison.

Dr Jason Bull: Don't give up on people, they're all we've got.

But with modern audiences and the way TV is run I would not be surprised if they do use it as a cliff hanger.

That's what I've been pondering for a while now. What will the cliffhanger be because Ross and Demelza's reconciliation in the book is not cliffhanger material (to me, anyway); more like a finale.

Then what do you theorize will be the cliffhanger ending of Season 2? Will it be the angry confrontation of the villagers (and Ross) with George? (Does that happen after the D&R reconciliation? Then again, DH has changed the sequence of events before..)

I'm guessing that they have not 100% got back together or them getting back to their marital relations while letting the audience know that Elizabeth is now pregnant?

I think the confrontation is next week as the second video says its episode nine.

I personally think we should get some more shirtless scenes to make up for this weeks episodes 😍

In Oldark, Demelza has decided to leave Ross - this is just before Ross is going to rejoin his regiment and head off to the war in Europe - she's suggested Jeremy could live with Verity and her family "at least he'll be with a happy family" - and she leaves, taking Garrick with her. George has enclosed the fields and thrown all the tenants off the Trenwith lands. Garrick crosses onto George's land and is shot by a gamekeeper. Ross comes home to find Demelza in tears over Garrick, so he heads off to confront George. Zacky Martin and a couple of other locals come to Nampara looking for Ross because a large number of very angry men are marching on Trenwith. Demelza is horrified that Ross is going there and so she follows to warn him. The angry locals break into Trenwith, George shoots Paul Daniel and the other men set fire to Trenwith in retaliation. Ross saves George's life (by holding a table in front of him when an axe is thrown at George). Ross, Demelza, George, Elizabeth and Mrs Tabb escape outside and Ross puts George and Elizabeth on their (R&D) horses, Elizabeth asks Ross "why did you do it?" (meaning save George) and he says "I didn't fancy you a rich widow". Ross tells Demelza to let them gallop out of their lives - Ross and Demelza end up at Nampara Cove and are reconciled - End of Series 1 of Oldark. I'm presuming the scenes with angry men being shown now is that part of the story.

Series 2 starts with Ross returning from the war suffering with The Ague (he says "Marsh Fever",so I presume it was malaria). Dwight's ship, The Trevail, is beached off France and he's taken prisoner. Ross heads off to France to find him - by this time, Demelza is pregnant with Clowance - Ross sees Dwight from a distance (he's a prisoner, so Ross can't get close). When Ross gets back to Cornwall, Caroline is in a dreadful state that efforts to get him ransomed are fruitless, so Ross heads back to France with Zacky, Drake and a few others to try to rescue Dwight. When he is rescued, Hugh Armitage (who was also a prisoner) returns to Cornwall with them ...... the story continued for 13 episodes in Series 2 (there were 16 in Series 1) (or it may have been 13/16 but in any event there were 29 episodes in all and very good they were too. I still watch Oldark quite regularly - it has some wonderful characters who don't appear in this new version).

In Oldark...

Thank you for posting that detailed summary. I can't quite reconcile with the fact that Ross saves George! I hope this series will not show that. And I hope Paul Daniel survives. He and Zacky are the last of Ross' faithful band.

I'm sure this is correct which is too bad because it will feel like Demelza forgives him too quickly. He needs to be in the doghouse for more than two episodes.

In Oldark, the VBT takes place in the middle of episode 15. Ross and Demelza are blissful again at the end of episode 16. In fact, Demelza literally goes from leaving Ross one day (she returns only because Garrick gets shot) to being happy with him the next (after Trenwith is destroyed). It doesn't work at all, IMO.

How quickly Demelza forgives Ross should depend on how quickly Ross shows true remorse and tries hard to make amends. In the book, he takes forever to do that, so Demelza has no real basis for forgiveness. I'd like to see the whole process move along more rapidly, but it has to start with Ross.

I completely agree that it needs to come from Ross. He certainly does not act like it in the first preview.

I don't mind if they make up by the end of the season but it better be because he sees the error of his ways etc. Plus if you look at the behavior it is built up and shown over a number of episodes this season. It should not be all sorted in two episodes - I would prefer it was carried over into next season.

Him confronting George over her dog being killed should not be enough IMO for her to "forgive" him.

Garrick doesn't get killed.

I completely agree that it needs to come from Ross. He certainly does not act like it in the first preview.

In the book it did start with Ross albeit 6+ mos later! Funnily, it was Demelza who didn't want to talk about the VBT.

In the book it did start with Ross albeit 6+ mos later! Funnily, it was Demelza who didn't want to talk about the VBT.

Yes, essentially Demelza had assumed that Ross didn't want her anymore, but that he had remained at Nampara because he had failed to secure Elizabeth for one reason or another. In the months following the VBT, Demelza's rage cooled, and she and Ross worked out a cordial but loveless form of coexistence. In the novel, she was wary of reopening the wound, thinking that it would cause her fresh pain but not improve her state at all.

I've wanted the TV Demelza to be more assertive, and Horsfield already has moved in that direction with the colossal face slap, but Demelza shouldn't take too much of the lead in trying to heal the breach. Any remorse from Ross won't mean as much if it's in response to an ultimatum. Demelaza should clearly express her anger and pain, but Ross must repent of his own free will -- and within a reasonable time!