Poldark : Caroline vs George Spoilers ahead

Caroline vs George Spoilers ahead

I know this is too early in the series in both countries to discuss this, but I have to start it for some friendly discussion. I believe George Warleggan just met his worst enemy, and her name is not Ross.

From the moment Caroline Penvenen met Ross, she was fascinated by him. Even though she shown to be more attracted to Dwight, she can't help but admire Ross for his ideals. Her last scene in the episode was telling. She wanted to toast him even though her pompous fiance would rather hang himself than anger his patron George, and her Uncle Ray was reluctant.

The meeting between Demelza and Caroline was also significant. Caroline will largely replace Verity as Demelza's BFF. Instead of being jealous of her new object of admiration's wife, she admires her also. Though there was barely much spoken between them,the looks Caroline gave indicate that she likes Demelza despite her background and situation.

So when George is introduce to the fiancee of his lackey, he has just met an enemy. Caroline may seem a bored rich girl only paying attention to her pug, but she is listening and observing. That is why I actually enjoy Gabriella's performance. She isn't just talking about how insufferable everything is, she is listening, observing, and asking questions.

George sees Caroline as nothing more than insignificant though she knows perfectly well that he is the money behind Hugh's campaign. What George should taken account that Caroline is a very wealthy woman who may be wealthier than George. She is the only person who isn't indebted to the Warleggans.

With her attraction to Dwight Enys and her admiration toward Ross, Caroline could be a dangerous enemy to George.

Re: Caroline vs George Spoilers ahead

I hope you are correct because after watching episode 1 of series 2 (US version), George needs to be taken down. Ugh, I just wanted to reach into my television and smack the smugness off his face. Kudos to the actor for making me hate someone so. Lol.

I have not read the books and when they kept showing that new character, I thought she must be someone of importance.

Caroline is going to do something significant later, and it will frustrate the Warleggans because it stops them from one of their increasingly tiresome let's destroy Ross plot.

Yes Caroline is very important character in the Poldark saga. In many ways she said the second leading lady after Demelza.

Oh, interesting.

She is a very important character. Caroline is one of the four swans in novel #6, The Four Swans, along with Demelza; Elizabeth; and Elizabeth's cousin, Morwenna Chynoweth.

I don't know who's read the book but yeah......he does need to watch out for her.

Reading the books I hated George but the tv show really makes me pity him. He's so insecure so wanting to be accepted but just such a jerk about it.

I love Caroline, after Ross she is my favorite character. If I had my way, I would have paired her with Ross; they would have made a very interesting match, both intelligent, headstrong rebels within their class. Caroline and Ross understand each other better than either Demelza or Dwight understand them. For example, Caroline understands the real reason and the class pressure for the duel with Monk Adderly whereas Demelza does not get the subtext at all. There is also a sexual attraction between the two that is never acted on but which they both acknowledge. George has the typical male view of women of the time period and he underestimates what a determined lady Caroline is.

You know if Dwight and Demelza were out of the picture, Caroline and Ross would end up together. What I do like about Caroline is the fact that she is in many ways the the anti Elizabeth.

Elizabeth especially in this adaptation is presented as a kind, intelligent person. Deep down she is really a selfish, easily manipulated person whose greatest pleasure in life is to be admired by all the men in her orbit

Caroline present herself as a frivolous bored rich girl whose only pleasure is her pug. In reality she is an intelligent woman who asks questions, genuinely believes in Ross and Dwight's cause. She cannot be manipulated by people like George because she can see who George really is from the moment she met him while Elizabeth fails to see that George is the architect of her family's ruin.

Another thing is the two women's relationship with Demelza. Elizabeth is all friendly to Demelza, but is actually resentful that Demelza has Ross, and has his love. Caroline befriends Demelza, but it is a true friendship of two women who value each other.

I loved that conversation between them. So mature and civilized.

'For His mercies endures forever ' - Psalms

I would find marriage to Ross a fate worse than death - financial struggles, always getting into trouble, always choosing to lose his temper instead of doing things in a rational manner, neglecting his children, pining for another woman and then sleeping with her, smuggling, etc. I just wish the long-suffering Demelza can be happy.

I liked Caroline, but that conversation she had by mentioning that she wanted to sleep with Ross was in poor taste regardless of the time period. That is something that you do not tell a man unless you want to plant a seed that you undoubted at some point or another want to grow. Ross was attracted more than physically to Caroline and I believe that if he never met Demelza, Caroline would have definitely been his wife. I do not believe that he was so attracted that he would ever have crossed the line. Elizabeth was his kryptonite. However, Caroline does not have a long suffering temperament so in times of suffering, she would abandon Ross for London.

Caroline would have crushed George and ate him for breakfast!

That conversation was a bit uncomfortable because to be honest, Caroline was in an angry, vulnerable moment at that time, and so was Ross. Yes, I think they might have a very happy life together if their spouses were out of the picture, but one thing I love about Caroline was the fact she not only admires Ross, but she loved his entire family as she wasgodmother to a couple of their daughters .

I love that Caroline was such a friend to the whole family. Much better character than Elizabeth

That conversation was a bit uncomfortable because to be honest, Caroline was in an angry, vulnerable moment at that time, and so was Ross.

Which conversation are you referring to? Was it the one mentioned upthread, after Caroline and Dwight were married and after the duel with Monk Adderly?

George sees Caroline as nothing more than insignificant though she knows perfectly well that he is the money behind Hugh's campaign. What George should taken account that Caroline is a very wealthy woman who may be wealthier than George. She is the only person who isn't indebted to the Warleggans.

Did you mean Unwin?

Dr Jason Bull: Don't give up on people, they're all we've got.