Poldark : Aunt Agatha...

Aunt Agatha...

...is marvellous, isn't she?

I love the way she sits hunched over her tarot cards, shrewd and as sharp as a knife; missing nothing and saying what she likes because she's too old to care. She has some great lines, too.

A very nice turn from the lovely Caroline Blakiston.

http://ilarge.lisimg.com/image/5426196/968full-caroline-blakiston.jpg

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

Re: Aunt Agatha...

She's pretty amazing all right. She's also one who seems somewhat changed from the first season. I love how she responded to George though. I don't recall Aunt Agatha using tarot cards in Oldark. That's one of those things I'm going to watch out for when I watch it again once this season is over.

"How was the war, sir?"
"As any war, ma'am, a waste of good men." (Poldark)

Well Aunt Agatha was not introduced in Oldark until the second series, and she had a different background like owning her own estate for convenience of plot because the writers of the first series changed major, major things.

I love Oldark all that, but people who preferred that over the new one should really watch it again to see how flawed it was.

Well Aunt Agatha was not introduced in Oldark until the second series, and she had a different background like owning her own estate for convenience of plot because the writers of the first series changed major, major things.

I love Oldark all that, but people who preferred that over the new one should really watch it again to see how flawed it was.

True, kmill. I've loved Oldark for 40 years, but it departed from the books in major ways. Mind you, the new Poldark isn't without it's changes, to be fair.

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

That's right, I'd forgotten she didn't appear until the second season although I do remember wondering about it when it first started this time. I don't recall a lot about her part in Oldark at this point except wasn't she kind of creepy?

"How was the war, sir?"

I wouldn't say that she was creepy but she saw George Warleggan for what he was and saw that the Whitworth-Chynoweth marriage was going to be a disaster.

Yeah, she was creepy to George. LOL

"How was the war, sir?"

What in heaven's name
did they blot out??? 

It's a spoiler tag and if you move your mouse over the black part you can see what I wrote. I put a spoiler tag over the words because it happens next season.

Did not know that at all! Thank you for edumacating me! 😀

I loved Aunt Agatha in the 70s version, but I have to say that she didn't come across as a gentlewoman at all. The portrayal was such a caricature - cartoonish, really. I prefer Blakiston's poise and dignity. It's possible to be a crusty old biddy without being a hag!

Agreed. I remember she was pretty much a hag that nobody liked in Oldark. I certainly prefer this version. And she finally got something right with her tarot card readings!

"How was the war, sir?"

I remember she was pretty much a hag that nobody liked in Oldark

I beg to differ 😃 Elizabeth cared for her (and admitted to George that she cared for her), Ross very much cared for her (and wanted her to come to live at Nampara) and Geoffrey Charles and Morwenna certainly didn't dislike her. The only ones that disliked/hated her were Nicholas Warleggan, George and his lackies, such as Sid Rowse and the Harry brothers (the Harry brothers not being the sharpest tools in the shed and they followed where Sid Rowse led).

Well, it has been probably 15 years since I saw Oldark, so you'll have to just forgive my forgetfulness.

"How was the war, sir?"

No need for forgiveness, Wendy 😄 I sometimes get the books and the original series mixed in my head and wonder if what I'm thinking happened in the books only happened in the series and vice versa.

Which is why I made a topic just to talk about the series. 😉 I'm actually trying to remember the last time I saw those videos, and it may have been even 20 years ago. Time has marched on, and I'm getting old myself. Amazing how long ago that whole thing was since it doesn't seem like it other than the fact that I've forgotten a lot of stuff. I must say it's coming back, however, since this new season includes quite a few things I'm being reminded of.

"How was the war, sir?"

Again, what in heaven's name did they see so offensive to blot out??? 😱

That's not blotted out. I just put a Spoiler blackout over it so it wouldn't ruin it for someone who hadn't seen it yet. All you have to do is put your cursor over the black mark, and the words will appear. To cover up something you think will be a spoiler, highlight it and click the Spoiler tab above the window, like this. Have fun!

"How was the war, sir?"

I love that at meals, she is always intent on eating while others at the table appear to be there for conversation.

I love it when she says "That upstart's here again" with a look of disdain 😉. I'm very much looking forward to her interaction with George later in the series.

I'm looking forward to her interactions with George in series 3 and also Morwenna.

food looks too good to be chit-chattin'!

The food I've liked in my time is American country cookin'-Colonel Sanders 🇺🇸

LOVE her. She's truly amazing to watch, like Robin Ellis. I'm so glad they got him back. I can't recall if Rev Halse shows up again in the later books. Couldn't they find a way to sneak him in? Maybe they could combine a couple of roles so they could bring him back.

In The Angry Tide Rev. Halse presides over Osborne Whitworth's funeral. So we will see Robin Ellis into season four.

thanks!

I love Aunt Agatha. I love how she never loses her appetite at any meal..she is always chomping down no matter the situation. She's a great character.

Ep 2.5 spoilers Right after Aunt Agatha recalled George's nasty comments about her being an old crone, she said, "Big mistake." Did you notice the very next shot was of the moon? Nice touch!

Very nice touch!

Aunt Agatha is one tough, gutsy lady. I cant wait to see what she does. She's never liked George...then again, what character does?

Though Caroline Blakiston is excellent - caught her in a rerun of The Avengers the other day when she was a very chic, glamorous young lady - don't diss Eileen Way, the original Aunt Agatha, though unlike Caroline she never seemed to have been chic and glamorous and seemed to have played old dears all her life. I remember the chilling way she foresaw doom and gloom at the black moon for a certain party.

No way would I diss Eileen Way. Wonderful British character actress. I recall her in The Vikings. She didn't appear until series two in Oldark , which was a shame.

Agree about how lovely Caroline was in her younger years. I remember her well.

That was one of the ways in which Oldark Series 2 had to pay the price for Oldark Series 1's occasional reckless disregard for the original story. Suddenly there's this ancient aunt who's extremely important to Ross, such that he'll brave Warleggan wrath to see her, yet the audience has never met or even heard of her before. She also turns up in residence at the mythical "Penrice," which had to be hastily constructed to replace the burned-down Trenwith.

And that is why I get peeved at people who complain that the new series is inferior to the old one when in reality the old series made big, serious changes in the books, and it made the second season rather awkward.

I for one is enjoying Aunt Agatha, and her tarot cards. She has become a gem so when we get further we are only going to root and sympathize with her.

Ah, but the same could said for the sudden interjection in last week's episode of Captain MacNeill's apparent admiration of Demelza as well as Demelza's expertise with sick cows such that Hugh Bodrugan would call her for assistance and than hit on her. None of that was set up at all as it was in the 1970's series.

Nidratime, the expertise with sick cows was in the novels. I agree, it was odd.

In 'Oldark' as I recall Bodrugan had a wife called Cynthia who swore never to drink tea as it" turned one's insides brown". Would like to have seen her in this version.

In 'Oldark' as I recall Bodrugan had a wife called Cynthia who swore never to drink tea as it" turned one's insides brown". Would like to have seen her in this version.

Actually, she was Lady Constance(Connie)Bodrugan and she was Sir Hugh's step-mother. Her reasoning for not drinking tea was it turned your skin brown ... "Where does your tea come from? India. What colour are your Indians? Brown" (or words to that effect). I thought she was great too - remember at the Werry House ball when she took a stuffed bird out of her wig and twisted its neck AND she was getting a bit 'flirty' with a much younger man she was dancing with .... AND she was bald under that wig! She was great fun!

Connie Bodrugan is one of the minor characters that I really miss in this adaptation. I liked her best in Oldark, better than in the books as the actress really had a flair for the OTT comedy in the character.

She gives George the Coup de grâce like no one else could. She bested George better than Ross ever could.

Did you notice that George didn't actually kiss Aunt Agatha's hand, he kissed his own thumb? I bet Aunt Agatha noticed!

Re: George didn't actually kiss Aunt Agatha's hand

Yes, I noticed!

She could see through the little weasel!

Don't be late, don't hesitate, this dream can pass just as fast as lightning.

Just seen the trailer for ep 7 - Aunt Agatha with a pistol! I do hope that's because George has turned up again.

She gives George the Coup de grâce like no one else could. She bested George better than Ross ever could.

I love her.

Referring to George as a, "pasty faced coin fingerer". 😀

Ross referred to GW as an, "upstart poodle."

Love the waspish (though all too brief) conversations she has with George!

You're my wife now.

And the evil smile they gave each other.

'For His mercies endures forever ' - Psalms

She's too cute & is the spitting image in character of Lady Grantham on Downton!