Poldark : BOND ROLE

BOND ROLE

Says in the Mirror today that Aiden has flown out to LA to discuss details about being the next Bond. Don't know how to link so have a look on the Mirror page xx

Re: BOND ROLE

So just how reliable is news from The Mirror. Isn't it kind like a tabloid magazine in the UK? Or maybe I am mistaken and thinking of another one.

Its a Daily Newspaper

Nice little video in the second link with Aidan talking about his role as Ross. I don't think I'd seen that one before since he had a knit cap on that I didn't recognize. Thanks!

Might well be rubbish but nice to read a bit of 'gossip' abut him, lol

This info is from a joking comment made by a Poldark producer who wasn't even serious. The Mirror is a UK tabloid, totally unreliable.

Also, why is this question here and not on the Aidan board? The Poldark board isn't supposed to be an 'All Aidan Topics' board, as far as I'm aware.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Yes my fault, thought I had posted it on the Aidan board, never realised till I pressed the post button x

You don't have to apologize littlesue. You did nothing wrong.

Post deleted

Also, why is this question here and not on the Aidan board? The Poldark board isn't supposed to be an 'All Aidan Topics' board, as far as I'm aware.

I'm sorry, Sacotra, but it is very ungracious to tell people what they can and can't write about on a board. I can't quite understand the Aidan fascination myself, but I should hate to become a dictator of another's behaviour.

We should be glad that this is a busy and popular board. Give it time, and it will probably become a deserted graveyard like so many others of my favourite boards.

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

I'm sorry, Sacotra, but it is very ungracious to tell people what they can and can't write about on a board. I can't quite understand the Aidan fascination myself, but I should hate to become a dictator of another's behaviour.

Thank you Supergran. This type of thing happens on every single board and it is not a bad thing for a show for a board to remain busy and active, it just may not always be what other posters want. It really does help it. Its good for the show. The board,to me and what I have always perceived these boards to be for, is not only about the show as well as it's cast and crew. It isn't right to dictate to posters, or try to tell them where to post, that they can't discuss actors or characters they like associated with that said show. It happens on all of them. LOts of things happen on many boards that many people don't like, I ended up leaving those eventually because people started basically being overly mean sometimes. But far be it from me to tell someone rudely they should post something elsewhere, and I might add, not to post about something related. The one thing I mostly see on this page, mostly but not always, is that "most" people are friendly and civil to each other, even if they disagree with them. If a frequent visitor doesn't like a thread, all I can say is don't read it. Respond to the ones you are interested in. I mean lets be honest, the one reason most of us are here is because we love this show and I have "met" some nice people to talk about various aspects about it and related to it. I don't expect every thread to be something I want to read or respond to but Im sure not going to tell people to go elsewhere...that is not my place to do so..and it isn't anyone else's either.

THANK YOU Supergran! I met a very close friends. I would say one of my best friends in life on a Imdb board. My Irishmoon profile says 9 years but I have another one dating back to around 1995. I met my friend in 1999. I spent 2 summer up in Canada. We traveled to California.Seen Hollywood and San Diego......Went to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. Went to From Vancouver Canada to Edmonton. We had some great times. It all started on a imdb movie board. People come and they share on these boards. It's suppose to be fun. How hard is it to skip over stuff and let other people engage? I have been thinking about this ALL day. Where do we draw the line of what someone can talk about??? Where??? This is a 2015 Poldark series board.....not a 1975. Not a book or Poldark Novel board. Not a Aidan Turner board. Do we say to readers of the book...."hey go find A Winston Graham Novel board." I mean it's beyond me how anyone can say....."don't post this or that." "That belongs over on this board and that over to such and such board." " Don't meet and greet here." I've met some wonderful people here on Imdb. Makes me sad to see how unfriendly it's gotten with people slamming people for one thing or other. God none of us know what some poor soul is going through on the other end of the key board. For all anyone knows this maybe a person's only outlet. THAT I HAVE LEARNED in my 21 years being around imdb. There was a young women that was on the boards 24/7. She was also know at some fan sites too. Come to find out she pasted away from cancer. She was 19....her mom wrote one of the fan site that the boards were her only company. She had been bed ridden for 2 years. Just think before your so critical of someone. It's not that hard to be nice.....is it? To reach out and touch someone in a positive way instead of a negative way.

As for you Miss tleefent. LOL You keep me up to date on so many thing and I for one am so thankful. Please keep it coming!

Good points. How sad for that girl whose only outlet was these boards. What a shame. 19 years old? Sheesh! My rule of thumb is I try very hard not to say anything I wouldn't say to someone's face. That usually works pretty well. And if someone says something that bugs me, I tend to just ignore it or say something funny to diffuse the situation. As you say, we're here to have fun, not get into fights.

---
"How was the war, sir?" "As any war, ma'am, a waste of good men." (Poldark)

Those of you who saw And Then There Were None will love this! And even those who didn't. I just stumbled on it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-TalVHo-U0. It's called "Aidan Turner as James Bond." Enjoy!

---
"How was the war, sir?"
"As any war, ma'am, a waste of good men." (Poldark)

Nice!! Tom Hiddleston took over now as the fave😥

In whose universe? I finally saw him on The Late Show and just wasn't feeling the Bond.

"How was the war, sir?"

I would prefer Aidan over Tom H for Bond. I like Tom's performances, but he's so slender and delicate. To me, he doesn't have that "damn, he's a real man" thing going for him. I see Bond as suave, sexy, manly - a commanding figure. I don't get all of those adjectives at one time from Tom. If Aidan were playing Bond, like Craig, he would walk into and everyone's panties would instantly fall down - male and female. I imagine Tom's Bond walking into a room and everyone orders a martini, then all want to joke and share gossip with him.

I'm not shadying Tom, I really love him and his work, and he's a cutie... but, he's not the Bond for me.

~ Anyone Hungry? Hannibal Lecter ~

I know exactly what you mean. Well, not sure about Tom since I don't think I've seen him in anything. I'm sure he's a fine actor, but I'm with you, I'm not feeling the Bond when it comes to him. Now Aidan is another matter entirely, as the YouTube video clearly demonstrated. ::sigh::

Of course, the question is, would it really be all that good for Aidan's career? For some reason, I have heard some folks say it can hurt an actor for future roles. I have no idea why that would be. But Aidan has had so many diverse roles already, it doesn't seem like he'd be typecast in one of them even if it were James Bond. He'd much more likely be typecast in 18th-century costume dramas given how many hours he will have been on the TV as Poldark. Which wouldn't hurt my feelings. Some of those coats he wears, well, they look so divinely soft I'd just love to run my hands up and down them, especially that blue-gray frock coat he has. Like this:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Aidan+Turner+Poldark&view=detailv2&&id=7FF77DE4850046EE81B3A3DF03056E296143D773&selectedIndex=16&ccid=1DutSCZK&simid=608041957000285388&thid=OIP.Md43bad48264ae69d17b0d084e87d7199o1

Or this: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Aidan+Turner+Poldark&view=detailv2&&id=D00EC32FAB140335C1A6853D17D99291D0AC4CEF&selectedIndex=51&ccid=LMKX%2fGyj&simid=608004388936483362&thid=OIP.M2cc297fc6ca3a2495862c0a52f7cd52co1

If you ask me, I'll take Ross Poldark over James Bond anyday. 😉

"How was the war, sir?"

Hi there,

I'm not all that supportive of Tom H. as Bond but I remember when it was first announced about DC getting it and I was so surprised. He was also very thin but he really bulked up very nicely, not too much, and to be honest I didn't even like Bond movies all that much until DC played him.He gave the movies something new and different for me...it was a whole new experience and I grew to love the movies. That being said, I could easily see Aidan in the role.

The only thing I have seen Tom Hiddleston in is as Loki in the Thor movies (which I love those movies). He played that character very well but not a particularly good example to see Bond within that. I have been seeing ads for The Night Manager started on A&E here in the states on April 19 and have heard good things about the show so I probably will be watching that and see what all the fuss is about.

I like Tom's performances, but he's so slender and delicate. To me, he doesn't have that "damn, he's a real man" thing going for him. I see Bond as suave, sexy, manly - a commanding figure. I don't get all of those adjectives at one time from Tom. I imagine Tom's Bond walking into a room and everyone orders a martini, then all want to joke and share gossip with him.

Yes, Tom Hiddleston is a good actor, but like you, I think he is too metrosexual in looks and vibe. The Night Manager got rave reviews and is one of the main "pushes" for him as Bond. On a superficial note Tom H is one of those actors that I would categorize along with Benedict Cumberbatch as talented and interesting looking, not the traditional leading man sexy or good looking.

I'm no Bond expert and have never seen a Bond movie in the cinema but James Bond, IMO, is more than just a British hard as nails super spy. What makes Bond different, than say Bourne or Mission Impossible or any other superspy character, is the lady-killer playboy, suavely sexual man, who will *beep* to get the job done. Tom H doesn't bring that character aspect, at least not that I can see. I don't want a brute in a suit (which is what I think Tom Hardy, another good actor who is a media Bond favorite, would play) but a man's man in the old fashioned 60's sense of the word, no matter how un pc that is these days. But what do I know?

I would like Aidan to get the Bond role, if he wanted it, for the exposure, although, I would prefer him to get prestige drama/comedy movie roles than a action/super hero franchise. Action heroes and super heroes are where the money is now so I guess it would be good for him. He has been managing his career well up to now so I would expect him and his agent know what they are doing.

Post deleted

He don't do it for me either! but then anything better than Idris Elba who has been touted about for the last few years.

And will somebody please tell me what Hiddleston's super-anal, 50 year old Omaha accountant hair is all about…please?
LOL! Well, not I. And I'm with you. I just looked up his pictures on Google, and he just doesn't seem like Bond to me. His eyes are too sad looking. Not cockie enough. (I wonder if IMDb will allow that word...)

"How was the war, sir?"

Post deleted

I know you weren't talking to me, but I just had a question about what you said:

No actor would want to be associated with the role if they wanted to be taken seriously.
What does playing James Bond have to do with being taken seriously? Aidan Turner played all kinds of stranger rolls than that: a vampire, a werewolf, a dwarf, an artist of questionable character, and a mass murderer, but he's taken pretty seriously these days. Please explain. Thanks.

"How was the war, sir?"

Post deleted

Post deleted

Yes sorry, I was answering the one above, not sure how to answer directly x

No problem. Just click on the post you want to reply to, then click on Reply. The reply window will show up under that one and you can write whatever in response.

BTW, I should have said I thought your post was very interesting. I had no idea James Bond was considered a national treasure in the UK. Well, I suppose that makes sense since it's all about their country and often shows it as being quite competent no matter what the problem. 🇬🇧 😉

"How was the war, sir?"

OK thanks, yes we love our Bond, pages and pages on the internet now about who we having as the next one!! lol

Well, I suppose that makes sense since it's all about their country and often shows it as being quite competent no matter what the problem.

Quite competent??

Even though I'm not British by birth, I feel rather offended by that comment - have I got the wrong end of the stick? I hope so 😃

Well, I was being a little facetious, but "quite competent" generally means really good at what you do, which James Bond is. Why would you be offended by it? He usually gets the job done, doesn't he?

"How was the war, sir?"

Well, "quite competent" implies "adequate" or "sort of" - more middle of the road competency, rather than "really good", hence my reaction. But, if you meant really good, that's great by me 😃

Also, you didn't refer to James Bond, you said:

shows it as being quite competent
, referring to the country, not the character.

Maybe I'm a bit precious about my beloved Great Britain .... I am more than happy to admit I love her deeply and without reservation (warts and all, so to speak) 💓

Well, the word competent has different meanings, including, according to the dictionary:

having the necessary ability, knowledge, or skill to do something successfully.
That's what I was referring to. In Bond movies, he and his government always get the job done even if it makes a mess along the way. Seems quite competent to me. 😏

At any rate, having half my ancestry from the British Isles, mostly from Scotland, I'm not in any way trying to denigrate it although when you read about the history, you have to wonder sometimes. It's not like they don't have a violent past among the Scots, Irish, and English, so much so that it's a wonder to me how they all get along so well these days. Even Poldark shows how people just from the next village were considered "outsiders." When they filmed the shipwreck scene in the 70s version of Poldark, the people they hired to play the folks scavenging on the beach got into an actual fight and drew actual blood owing to a longstanding feud between their two nearby villages. They had to have it explained to them that they were just actors, not really supposed to hurt each other! LOL Hopefully they've resolved their issues by now...

"How was the war, sir?"

Hi again Wendy,

It wasn't the 'competent' that caused my first reaction, it was the word 'quite', which puts a qualification on 'competent' 😑

All of my ancestors are English (well, there are a couple of Irishmen/women in there around 1700, but they seemed to migrate to England at some point because that's where their children were born). I knew absolutely nothing about my paternal grandmother (she and my grandfather divorced when Dad was only about 5 and he had no contact with her to speak of after that) and have been researching her and her family of late. I was overjoyed to find that her family were from Cornwall (I've traced them back to the late 1600s), especially as Dad's father's family were also from Cornwall (traced directly back to the 1400s and indirectly to just after William the Conqueror's time, about 1075), so on Dad's side my blood's Cornish 😁. Mum's parents were from Staffordshire (my grandfather came to Oz to join to army in WWI and Nanna followed him just after the war - beats me why he didn't just join up in England, because he was sent from here to Paschendale to fight and so he ended up almost where he left from ....). So, although I was born in Australia, my blood's pure Pommie and I'm extremely proud of it too 😁

All that Cornish blood flowing through my veins must explain why I feel so at home there and why it breaks my heart when I have to leave to return to Oz.

Cool, that you have roots in Cornwall! Someday I'd love to visit. Scotland and Ireland, too. I've been to England a few times though only to London. That's a shame, I know.

So I was puzzled by your objection to the word "quite," so I looked it up, too:

to the utmost or most absolute extent or degree; absolutely; completely: it's quite out of the question
Thus, "quite competent" would mean to be really, really, really fabulous at something. Are you still bothered by it?

"How was the war, sir?"

But, quite competent does not really mean "completely competent" - if I say someone is "quite competent" at their job, to me it means OK, acceptable, but not really exceptional. I suppose it depends upon the emphasis and maybe it's different in different countries 😃 In any event, it's nice to have a discussion - I'm always open for a chat 😀

Yes, well, I'll go with the dictionary definition. I'm kind of surprised that the context didn't also define how I used the word. It seemed quite clear to me. :)

"How was the war, sir?"

As I said, it depends on the context and, if we're quoting the dictionary, maybe it's best to include the complete definition -

quite. [kwʌɪt] ADVERB

1.to the utmost or most absolute extent or degree; absolutely; completely:
"it's quite out of the question" ·
[more]
synonyms: completely · fully · entirely · totally · wholly · absolutely ·
[more]

2.to a certain or fairly significant extent or degree; fairly:
"it's quite warm outside" ·
[more]
synonyms: fairly · rather · somewhat · a bit · a little · slightly ·
[more]

So, I suggest we're both right, again depending on the context and the emphasis used when using "quite" 😁

All that Cornish blood flowing through my veins must explain why I feel so at home there and why it breaks my heart when I have to leave to return to Oz.

You must have caught the BBC programme Wanted Down Under when you've been over here, MT. All those Brits wanting to live the Australian dream! You've burst that bubble. Lol.

Funny how none of us are happy where we live - always looking longingly at the green grass in the next field. When we get there we discover it's still grass! Strange lot, aren't we?

I've got some Italian roots. I've visited the little town in Tuscany where my great grandfather was born, and it's lovely. I daydream about living there, but my heart's here in England and with my family.

If there aren't any skeletons in a man's closet, there's probably a Bertha in his attic.

I have seen that programme, supergran (and the Phil Spencer one where Brits are moving to Oz and he finds houses for them to view - forget the name of that one though) - my sister and I are amazed they want to leave Britain and come here where they'll swelter in summer and the bloody flies'll drive you mad!

I've got the current Poldark on dvd (and the original one too - and both are copied to micro sd cards so I can watch them on my tablet on the train to and from work) - I find that I often focus on the scenery rather than the story, in a vain effort to etch the scenery on my brain and eyeballs - all the time wishing I was back in Cornwall

Marmalade, Brits emigrate to Oz to experience the enviable lifestyle, standard of living and a healthcare system that still works (to say nothing of the great beaches, beautiful country etc)! I'm an ex-Pom who came to South Oz nearly 30 years ago, with a five-year plan of returning to England at the end of that time - I'm still here! If you hate Australia so much, why not go back to Cornwall? Could it be because there is no future to be had in the UK? I recently went back to Hampshire for a visit and found the whole atmosphere in the UK to be depressingly pessimistic.
Sorry - I'm a bit passionate about my adopted homeland!
Regarding the post topic - love both Aidan and Tom, but don't see either of them as Bond. Can't wait for Season 2 of Poldark ...

A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it. - Oscar Wilde

diverdiva, where did I say I hate Australia? I love my country but hate the heat of summer - the weather the rest of the year is wonderful. I was born here and have lived here for almost 62 years. If I had enough money (why does the newsagent NEVER sell me the winning ticket??) I'd buy a place in Cornwall and go there for a few months each year and I'd have the best of both worlds (a woman can dream can't she). I spend a couple of months every couple of years in England on holiday and I've never found the atmosphere to be depressingly pessimistic. We don't stay in hotels either, because they're a bit impersonal - we always rent cottages and stay for at least a fortnight in each county (always in villages), so we're mixing with the locals, going to the pub for quiz night, shopping where they shop etc and the people don't seem overly depressed to me :-)

Why isn't it possible for me to love both Australia and the UK and why are you so antagonistic about someone loving your birthplace?

They having a vote in Cornwall at the moment to see if they going to allow people to buy holiday homes, they reckon its putting the prices of houses up in the area so the locals can't ever afford to buy their own place.

I can understand them having that vote - houses in Cornwall are expensive and I understand wages aren't very high, so I'm sure it's very difficult for locals to buy their own homes. I've got Buckley's and none of winning the lottery, so there's not much chance of me being in competition with any of the locals 😞 Doesn't stop me dreaming though 😉

Hi Marmalade - sorry, only got back to this thread today, so several months late in replying! I do apologise if my comments appeared antagonistic, that wasn't my intent and now I get it that it's just the Oz summer that you don't like! If UK isn't your native land and you weren't there back in the 70s and 80s, you won't understand how the atmosphere has changed. I didn't mean that the Brits as individuals are depressed, just that there is a lack of optimism in the nation. There is an old saying "Great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" and I think that sums up my feelings. PS: England isn't my birthplace, I must be of a similar age to yourself and although a WASP British subject, I was born in India (parents posted there) and spent the first 12 years of my life there.

A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it. - Oscar Wilde