Short Films : Short film from the 70s about a Boy and a Sailboat

Short film from the 70s about a Boy and a Sailboat

I vaguely remember a short film that our teachers showed us in grade school in the large auditorium about a young boy who is playing in a harbor somewhere along the California coast (most likely LA/Long Beach Harbor) and he sees a small sailboat docked and he decides to board it.

Somehow, the boat releases itself from the dock and takes the boy on a journey up and down the harbor and/or coast where the kid visitis different locations and people. The only scenes I can remember is the boy docking near a Naval port where he befriends a tall sailor who takes him onto an Aircraft carrier or battle ship. Afterward the boy jumps aboard the sailboat again where it takes him back to where he found him.

The boy somehow creates a bond with the small boat and feels like it's his to keep. But, after docking it the boat releases itself and leaves the boy alone. The movie fades out into an oil painting image of the boy looking down in sadness as the boat sails away.

The movie had the same vibe as "The Giving Tree" cartoon that I remember seeing in Middle School several years later.

Anyone familiar with this short film and its title, let alone director?

Thanks in advance.

"Where's your spark now?"

Re: Short film from the 70s about a Boy and a Sailboat

3 years later and still no answer?

***bump***

Re: Short film from the 70s about a Boy and a Sailboat

bump