BritComs : What is your favourite 'lesser known' Britcom?

Re: What is your favourite 'lesser known' Britcom?

I also really enjoyed Moving Wallpaper with Ben Miller as a TV executive producing a real companion show soap called Echo Beach. Echo Beach was not recommissioned, but Moving Wallpaper had a second series. Ben was great in the role.

The Brittas Empire if that's lesser known

A Distorted Reality Is Now A Necessity To Be Free

I've only just discovered this thread but nevertheless ....... my vote goes to Mulberry. It was a BBC 1 half hour comedy that was on in 1992 and 1993. Only 13 episodes and the 3rd series was never made.

The story revolves around Mulberry, the new manservant who isn't what he seems, and Miss Farnaby, the elderly lady of the manor. Both characters were brilliantly played by Karl Howman and Geraldine McEwan.

I even used to arrange my Thursday night out at the disco around it when it was on, which was certainly saying something :-)

I remember that series , I think it was too strange to appeal to a traditional BBC1 comedy audience - think it's on YouTube

A series on BBC1 or 2 from the early 90s called An Actor's Life For Me with John Gordon Sinclair as a wannabe actor who gets into improbable situations through lying - I think it only had one series and was based on a radio series

i loved Gimme Gimme Gimme and dig out the box set every now and then.

Phoenic nights and Max and Paddy road to nowhere

Not going out is a fantastic british comedy

Hope it rains is not well known although Tom Bell, Holly Aird are very well regarded with excellent eamon boland. Tom Bell specialized in a particular trademark brand of quietly suave demeanour meets seaside seediness. He was in the highly acclaimed film Wish you were here, the best Dennis Potter style play never written.

I really enjoyed Lovejoy on DVD, although I didn't watch the sixth (last) season because it sounded depressing. Not a nice way to end such a fun series. Ian McShane was wonderful!!!!

Also like New Tricks.

Hamish Macbeth

Poirot -not lesser known, but one of the best

Garth Marengi's Dark Place

I have yet to see Rising Damp mentioned by anybody. It ran for several series' in the '70's, and even had a big screen film version in 1980.Leonard Rossiter as Rigsby, the seedy boarding house landlord gave, what to me, is the best U.K sitcom performance of all time. He really was that good.The show was a huge hit, and hysterically funny, helped immeasurably by Mr.Rossiter's superb timing and energy.

"Barney Sloane...That's my new name...My old one's a little more Italian."

I am curious which lesser known Britcoms are among your favourites.

There are so many great ones! One of the best gifts I ever gave myself was a region-free DVD player.

In no particular order:

Chef!
(particularly the first season)
Waiting for God
One Foot in the Grave
Mulberry
Black Books
Let Them Eat Cake
Murder Most Horrid
Thin Blue Line
The IT Crowd
On the Up
Only When I Laugh
Clatterford
(AKA Jam & Jerusalem)
Second Thoughts (with James Bolam and Lynda Bellingham)

I don't know if these are considered lesser known, but I'll throw them in:
The Vicar of Dibley
Coupling

Irish comedies:
Father Ted
Moone Boy

I know they are technically not comedies but I also really love:
Pie in the Sky
New Tricks
Death in Paradise

"It's a real burden being right so often." Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

Black books is perfect

"Hyperdrive" isnt my favourite, by any means, but it is a sweet little sci-fi comedy starring nick frost, miranda hart and kevin eldon. and its on you tube!

There's a relatively new one called "The Detectorists." It's hilarious.

Being a Yank here I don't really know if its "lesser known" but I recently discovered Coupling and I think it is absolutely fantastic! (Along with Red Dwarf of course)

Two Point Four Children (Gary Olsen R.I.P.)
Waiting for God
One Foot in the Grave
Mulberry
Black Books
Let Them Eat Cake
Murder Most Horrid
Thin Blue Line
Only When I Laugh
Second Thoughts (with James Bolam and Lynda Bellingham)
May To December (Anton Rodgers R.I.P.)

Forgot to mention 'Desmonds'. It has a real heart and sentiment in with the jokes. There are some touching scenes between Desmond and his wife in Season 1 talking about the 'old days' and wanting to save up enough money to 'go home'to the West Indies) and build a home to retire in.

The series ended with the death of the much missed and deeply loved star, Norman Beaton.

Mr Don & Mr George

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SInTUQPaFY0&list=PLnR0Bvwk9MySF7qdw9bSQnYEhFq5Bo6P5

I like the two Hylda Baker series. I have them complete on DVD;-

Nearest and Dearest
Not On Your Nellie

Does League of Gentlemen count as "lesser known"? Outside my sister, I've found few Yanks who've ever heard of it.

Besides, Heil Honey, I'm Home!, of course...but that likely goes without saying.

The OP asked about lesser known BritComs, so here's mine: You Rang, M'Lord?

The Other One (1977)

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations" Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One of my favourite ones is "Father Ted" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111958/. I know a lot of people think it's Irish, due to the fact that it's all Irish cast, Irish creators´, Irish story and Irish locations, but the series is actually produced and made for British Channel 4. The series is about certain, not-so-serene Irish catholic parish, with three nutty priests, one of them is an elderly alcoholic, one of them is a complete dim-wit and one of them is just miserable who are cared by a totally moronic housekeeper. They only made 3 seasons of it, but some of the episodes are beyond classic. Check out especially episodes "Cigarettes and Alcohol and Rollerblading" and "Hell" from season 2, and "The Passion of Saint Tibulus" from season 1. Hilarious stuff!

If we're talking about sitcoms "lesser known" in the US, I'd probably go with these... a couple of them are lesser known in the UK too because they either weren't on for long or weren't big hits. But I liked them.

Birds of a Feather
Girls on Top
Just Good Friends
You Rang, M’Lord
‘Allo ‘Allo
Life Without George
Screaming
Freddie and Max
Only Fools and Horses
That’s Love
May to December
One Foot in the Grave
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
In Sickness and in Health
French Fields

I've found some real interesting show recently like Dinnerladies and Aint Misbehavin'. I loved Murder Most Horrid but understand why it would never work here in the U.S.

I would say The Piglet Files (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098895/) starring the ever-hilarious Nicholas Lyndhurst. Very funny show.

The Creatives. Another sitcom by Jack Docherty and Moray Hunter. The first series is on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqShZQ6YxU&list=PLAST_KzkBM2JLChyrOv5vm7P8bMIk1U_Q

In the unlikely event anyone locates the second series I'd appreciate a link.

I don't know what really what the lesser shows would really be because here in America when i was really young up until my twenties the only shows i could watch from the UK were what my PBS station offered. but these were my favorites in comedy:
1. Monty Python's Flying Circus
2. the Benny Hill Show
3. Dave Allen at Large : the first three used to be aired back-to-back on a Sunday night and i remember i would go to bed after the last show and have a hard time going to sleep because i would remember a joke and start giggling. and what's more is i would go to school and repeat a lot of the jokes in class - Oh, Dave Allen got me in so much trouble.
4. The Goonies (I think that what it was called): i remember this was on before the station ever aired Monty Python.
5.Good Neighbors (but i think in the UK they called it the Good Life): it was this show that starred Felicity Kendall, Richard Briers, Penelope Keith and I can't remember the other guy. I loved the show; i thought it was so funny and smart and i still consider this one of my all time favorite shows period. and i such a crush on Felicity Kendall and was heartbroken to find out that when the show was originally done i was only around six years old.
6. the Vicar of Dilby: a riot.
7. To the Manor Born
8. May to December
9. As Time goes by

IMO i think the British have one of the best senses of humor.

I'm sure there are others but i can't think of anymore if you have any suggestion i might like to hear of let me know. especially any Felicity Kendall in it. I still can't get over her.

paid for by the Catherine Bell & Carla Gugino campaign for President and Vice President.

Mrs Brown's Boys ya feckin ayrseholes.