BritComs : What is your favourite 'lesser known' Britcom?

What is your favourite 'lesser known' Britcom?

SO many people love Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, Absolutely Fabulous, Monty Python, etc, etc. The top shows are well known.

I am curious which lesser known Britcoms are among your favourites.
For me I love Fresh Fields/French Fields and May to December (I really like Anton Rogers). I also would put Thin Blue Line and Come Back Mrs Noah on there.

-------------
"Excuse me! I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

'lesser known' to Americans ?

SO many people love Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, Absolutely Fabulous, Monty Python, etc, etc. The top shows are well known.
"Only Fools and Horses" is extremely well-known to the British, but not to Americans, so I think it would depend on the audience to whom you ask this question.

However, perhaps "Butterflies" is less known even in the UK.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081838/combined

Oh Lord, you gave them eyes but they cannot see...

Re: 'lesser known' to Americans ?

Butterflies is excellent. My mother and I used to refer to her as "crazy Ria" and we loved her sons.

-------------
"Excuse me! I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

I actually first saw "Butterflies" on American TV, before I resided in the UK for a few years.

Oh Lord, you gave them eyes but they cannot see...

From the few episodes I got to see here in the states, I liked The Brittas Empire.

Re: What is your favourite 'lesser known' Britcom?

No, Honestly, and Doctor in the House come to mind. I believe those were both from the mid-70s.

No, Honestly was available for a time on VHS so I was able to get that (in fact, I started watching it again yesterday), but I've never been able to find Doctor in the House in a format I can watch...I'm in the US.

There was another one I liked called Solo, which starred Felicity Kendal. As I remember, there weren't many episodes to it, and I don't remember much at all about it now.

And there was another show I don't remember the name of now, but I think it starred Elaine Stritch as an American, who had a very proper English butler she was always at loggerheads with.

Enjoyed The Two Ronnies, as well. And Dave Allen at Large, or something like that???

And Bless Me, Father...love that one.

Human Remains. Very dark (but hilarious) show.

Your name is of no importance and you live in the pipe in the upstairs water closet.

Human Remains is indeed excellent. I also really like Jam, Nighty Night, Garth Marenghi's Dark Place and Snuff Box - they do all have 'cult' followings though so they are only lesser known to the average joe on the street.

The lute is the coolest of all medieval stringed instruments.

The show you are referring to with Elaine Strich and Donald Sinden as her butler was called Two's Company. There was a follow up to No Honestly starring Lisa Goddard (of Skippy fame) called Yes Honestly. If you liked the Young Ones you would also like Bottom and Filthy, Rich and Catflap!!

You are entitled to my opinion, whether you want it or not!!

Thank you, wears-alan. Yup, Two's Company was it.

I didn't know about the follow-up to No, Honestly. I'll have to look into that one...I don't know as I'd like it, tho, without the original cast.

I saw one episode of The Young Ones, and that was more than enough for me...lol.

You're welcome.

Perhaps you would prefer Man about the House and the spin offs George and Mildred and Robins Nest!

You are entitled to my opinion, whether you want it or not!!

Growing up with the US takes on all three of these, I kind of prefer the US Three's Company, rank Ropers as equals to George and Mildred and think Robin's Nest is the best of the three UK series and far superior to Three's a Crowd. I still love all six series though. The waiter on Robin's Nest steals the show from the episodes I saw.

For downright amateur villains you birds win the nickel-plated hot dogs.

Black Books is amazing, its on Instant Netflix and the cast is awesome.

Most of our old sitcoms enjoy repeats on digital channels somewhere. A few that don't seem to (or I missed them),,,, Just Good Friends,,, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin,,, Three Up, Two Down,,, and (I think it was called) Fairly Secret Army.

Does Irish count? Father Ted is one of the funniest things ever made.
A clip here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beN7FftWNCM

Just thought of a few more:

Green Wing (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423661/) the completely insane Brit answer to Scrubs

The Young Ones is a classic

Oh and Spaced (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187664/) I promise I'll stop now!

in the US Hi-De-Hi is very unknown.

For downright amateur villains you birds win the nickel-plated hot dogs.

Does anyone remember the name of a comedy situated in a foreign language school? I loved that one though now it would be impossible to do a show like that as it would be considered politically incorrect, which it was I admit but I still loved it.
I think I remember the name: Mind Your Language.

Music expresses the inexpressible

Keeping up appearances, Bless this house, Terry and June, Man about the house, The Brittas Empire...

Made you look

Re: My Top 10 Of Lesser Known Comedys

Joking Apart and also Coupling. Both shows are hilarious and the jokes are still funny after repeated viewings.

Simon Callow and Brenda Blethyn in Chance in a Million.

Time flies like the wind - and fruit flies like bananas!

@OP Aside from Come Back Mrs Noah, I agree with the ones you've mentioned and would add in:

Blackadder
Joking Apart (story of the guy who did Coupling but his first marriage)
Coupling (don't be put off by the reputation of the US version)
Kiss Me Kate
Chef! (first two series are much better than the last)
Red Dwarf (gets odd after the first couple of series)
A Perfect State
A Fine Romance
The Brittas Empire
Executive Stress
Goodnight Sweetheart (drops off a bit after first series)
Surgical Spirit
Waiting for God
Dressing for Breakfast (impossible to find, unfortunately)
2point4 Children
The Vicar of Dibley
The Upper Hand
Drop the Dead Donkey (references are dated and mostly British)
Is It Legal?
Ever Decreasing Circles
One Foot in the Grave
Up The Garden Path
The Two of Us
Birds of a Feather
Spitting Image (like SNL meets Drop the Dead Donkey with puppets)
The Piglet Files
Bless Me Father
Desmond's (love it or hate it)
After Henry
So Haunt Me
Next of Kin (very watchable considering what it is about)
Mulberry (quirky)
Agony Again
Reggie Perrin (I still need to watch the original ones)
In Loving Memory (Thora Hird)
Butterflies (a bit talky)
Keep It in the Family (redone in U.S. as Too Close for Comfort)
The Darling Buds of May (a young Catherine Zeta-Jones)
Doctor in the House (very hard to find now)
Second Thoughts (and its sequel...) Faith in the Future
Only When I Laugh (bit of a train wreck you can't help looking at)
No Job for a Lady
Side by Side (worth a look)
Upwardly Mobile
My Husband and I (Molly Sugden)
Moving (can't be found)
To the Manor Born
Three Up, Two Down
Yes (Prime) Minister
Jeeves and Wooster (trails off after about third series)
The Liver Birds (iffy after first series)
Murder Most Horrid (is an anthology so some shows are missable)
About Face (another anthology)
Never the Twain (got derailed during second series)
Root Into Europe
Blott on the Landscape

These are the comedic ones that are at least worth looking at. Happy hunting.

Eeek!!! I'm getting dressed.

I loved No Job for a Lady, and I agree about Jeeves and Wooster (except, aren't there just 4 series?).

Speaking of PG Wodehouse, have you seen Blandings?

I've yet to see any Blandings productions though I may have some stuff amidst a Wodehouse Collection I have somewhere as an ebook. I must dig it out again.

J&W indeed was just the four series. Episodes 3.5 and 3.6 saw them back from the States. The fourth series went back to NY to begin before the last two episodes being England again. I have grown to nearly despise the "Americanized" episodes now so I tend to skip through them mostly.

Looking at the airing sequence now, I'd revise my earlier statement in favour of the drop-off in quality occurring after episode 2.4 the cow-creamer one. There were still nice funny bits, but it all became very repetitive as well.

Penelope Keith's political turn in No Job for a Lady has never been re-aired in my corner of the world sadly so it's down to a brief snippet here and there off the web for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYylUhbKVN0

Sometimes I think can nearly watch her read from a telephone book.

Sorry, I didn't realize you had replied until today.

Penelope Keith's political turn in No Job for a Lady has never been re-aired in my corner of the world sadly so it's down to a brief snippet here and there off the web for me.

Which part of the world would that be? If you're in the US, you can sign up for a free 30-day trial of Acorn TV.
https://signup.acorn.tv/?gclid=CNDDkZvmm80CFdgegQod2kYAig

Acorn TV is showing Blandings. They have exclusive distribution, and they've had it since the first series came out, so I think they'll keep it for a bit.
https://acorn.tv/franchise/blandings

They had No Job for a Lady for a long time too, but it's not available right now. they do bring back programs, so it could come back. I first watched this series via DVDs from my library. LOVE IT.

I'm not from the U.S. actually. I live in that other former colony across the pond from Old Blighty.

Thanks for the leads but, if I ever get a strong hankering to binge watch, I shall dust off my old VHS tapes and see if the old machine will play them after all these years. Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye on the discount DVD bins for any good old Britcoms.

Ah wullnae haud that against yae, ya Sassenach bastar'.

The Squirrels.
An office set sitcom with Ken Jones and Bernard Hepton.

Also donkey jacket wearing, The Times reading Selwyn Froggit.

Neither has ever been repeated as far as I know.

I've just watched "Solo" for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it.

ROCK STARS HAVE KIDNAPPED MY SON

I don't think anyone has mentioned So You Think You've Got Troubles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101201/combined

I don't think it's ever been released on DVD so it's not going to be easy to find unless your local TV service buys the rights, as hasn't happened in my area for a very long time. Only a single series was produced as I remember but it was very different and brilliant.

I know people have mentioned them already but "Spaced" and "Black Books" are my all time favourites along with Red Dwarf, but these are relatively well known. All the others are great too, oh and "The Mighty Boosh" I don't know how well known that is outside the UK.

Oh and Noel Fieldings Luxury Comedy!

I'm not sure which are "lesser known" in the UK, but here in Australia I'd classify these as the best lesser known Britcoms:

The Thin Blue Line
Kiss Me Kate
Dinnerladies
The Royle Family

Darkplace

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin-Hasn't been shown here in many years-Loved Reg's Grot Shop.

The Day Today
Brass-Eye

Peep Show
Black Books
Brass Eye
Nathan Barley
I.T. Crowd
Fresh Meat
Alan Partridge
Marion & Geoff
Catterick
Nighty Night
Jam

-Outahand-
Cultural Design

Murder Most Horrid

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole

The British Comic Strip

The Kenny Everett Television Show

In Australia, very few people have heard of The Worst Week of My Life, which centered around the misadventures of the bumbling Howard Steel, his long-suffering wife Mel, her humorless parents Dick and Angela and other characters, such as Mel's drama queen younger sister, strange uncle and Howard's loopy PA. A comedy where everything possible goes wrong for the well-intentioned Howard, this is possibly the funniest show I have ever seen, but so obscure.

While not strictly a sitcom, as it was more comedy-drama, one of the best British shows was The Hello Girls, which was made in the mid 1990s and centered around a group of girls working at a telephone exchange in the late 1950s. So obscure and forgotten is The Hello Girls that I was beginning to think I had imagined the whole thing, until I found evidence that it actually existed on the internet.

Loved the early Dave Allen shows (Dave Allen at Large) in the 1970s. Unfortunately, he became very crude and foul - mouthed when he came back on to TV years later. Not sure what he was trying to achieve. Possibly trying to keep up with younger comics. Still, he was great in his prime.

Rab C Nesbitt. It's based in Glasgow though, so it's unlikely people outside of the UK (even sometimes outside of Scotland lol) will understand the speech. But if you're lucky enough to 'get it', it's genius. The early years were absolutely hilarious. Gregor Fisher is without doubt the best drunk actor I have ever seen.

I did not hit you. I simply high-fived your face.

Rab C Nesbitt. It's based in Glasgow though, so it's unlikely people outside of the UK (even sometimes outside of Scotland lol) will understand the speech

I agree that it's genius, but no one outside of Glaswegians will understand it, not even a lot of other Scots.

I posted on another board that the episode called Semmitry , S06E04 should have won an award for being the best show I've ever watched dealing with cancer.

"Faith is the substitution of emotion for evidence." Rab C. Nesbitt
"To a religious mind, atheism is the most conventional way of being unconventional." Rev. Ives

my life in film

"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school"

"Coupling" hands down. It's my favorite of all TV comedies, not just Britcoms.

I also liked to watch Fresh Fields. I also enjoyed:
Blackadder
To The Manor Born
The Good Life
All Creatures Great and Small
Yes Minister
Birds of a Feather
The Benny Hill Show
Lead Balloon

Green Wing
Coupling
Black Adder
Vicar of Dilby
Waiting for God
Doc Martin
Kingdom
Monday Monday
Gavin and Stacy
Spaced
Whites

Those are all of my favorite Britcoms (at the moment) that I can recall currently.. However, there are very many more

Stella is set in Wales but.......if I had to say Brittish it would be The Wrong Mans

I am currently enjoying my recent discovery of "Time Gentlemen, Please!" (2000-2002)

Roman's Empire. One off series in 2007. It had Chris O'Dowd and Nicholas Burns and it was hilarious.