Fantasy : why is this the least popular genre?

why is this the least popular genre?

and horror is the most? horror sucks. it's for kids and girls.

Re: why is this the least popular genre?

I think most pinheads think "Fantasy" is akin to Sci/Fi not knowing or caring it is far greater than both combined.

Let it be unsaid: insignificance is the locus of true increpation.

Maybe lack of good or even enough fantasy films.

Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are two of the most popular movies in decades. Sounds pretty popular to me.

In the kingdom of the blind, you're the village idiot.

Fantasy can very much be a hard genre to work with, a lot of times the end product turns out awfully. Then again, there are quite a few outstanding fantasy films which successfully create a worthwhile story that isn't beaten down by critics and audiences. =)

As for saying that horror is for kids and girls, that statement is full of ignorance.

'God doesn't make the world this way. We do.'
~Rorschach

Horror is for girls? I didn't know girls and little kids loved tits, naked girls, blood and guts and mindless violence. I guess that's a feminine thing. I can see why guys wouldn't be into that.

And no, it's the best, after fantasy, which isn't remotely unpopular, what you smokin?

How is this the least popular? It has boundless imaginative interpretation encouragement. Fantasy is my favorite genre of any and actually horror is my least favorite since it can be so repetitive. There's only so much one can do with horror until it isn't scary and turns into annoying.

the only good horror movies is the shining and american werewolf in london

____

I AM
____

Halloween (1978)
Alien
The Thing
Suspiria
Inferno
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Poltergeist
The Silence of the Lambs
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Phantasm
28 Days Later
[REC]
The Blair Witch Project
Psycho
Tenebre
The Howling
The Exorcist
The Fly (1986)
Jaws

All of these are good horror films. Some (quite a few) cross genres into both fantasy and sci fi. It's just plain ignorance to say the only good horror films are The Shining and An American Werewolf in London ( both of which I also love).

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.

While I like fantasy, horror definitely doesn't suck. And it's not like most horror movies are taken that seriously by crtics anyway.

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.

Fantasy is definetly my favourite genre of anything: Books, TV Shows or Movies. I think the reason might be that people don't want to watch a world of which needs to be explained to them. Horror might be the most popular genre because it is very lazily done in most cases and you don't need to understand anything to enjoy it.

You have your opinions I have mine.

I will be honest, I do love both genres. As far as film goes, I'm willing to watch just about anything with a coherent storyline. Either way, Fantasy is too difficult for someone to create from scratch. Take a look at these fantasy pics; Return To Oz, Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings, Narnia etc they all were based on books and I'm assuming they had detail explained more about their worlds because a filmmaker focuses on "plot" and not "what is this world about then?" because with the exception of LOTR they didn't have enough time to do so because to stretch those films out any longer would be too long for the audience they're trying to appeal to. Horror I will admit is rather simplistic, its "psycho serial killer can survive anything" or "Vampire suck blood" well you get the idea.

"If you don't like your ideas, stop having them!"

Actually I would consider it the most popular genre right now. Look at all the fantasy books being turned into films right now and look how huge the fiction section is at any book store, most of which are fantasy themed.

You would think killing people would make them like you but it doesn't. It just makes them dead.

Because people who don't like fantasy would rather watch or read about the real world. Can't say anything since it's their opinion and their life, but personally I love fantasy as my favorite genre mainly because it expands your imagination and just let's you escape into this worlds. As for horror, I won't take it. I don't mind if slightly dark themes are incorporated into my favorite movies for suspense but you'd never see me willingly sit down to watch a full fledged horror movie.

Personally, I'd say that sci-fi is the least popular right now, the new Star Trek films notwithstanding (actually, other than those what new sci-fi pictures have been made lately?)

I disagree. There have been many many sci-fi films made lately in the past few years, and quite a few of them have been very successful at the box office. I think the reason fantasy films haven't been talked about too much is because the majority of them being made right now look too similar to each other.

We have so many CGI filled fantasy films usually with thin plots and hammy acting. It's sad really, there just aren't many good fantasy films being made anymore. So many fantasy films have sucked and haven't done well with their intended franchises. That's the reason fantasy isn't talked too much on this board. The best fantasy films have been a while a go, and there's not much more to say about them. The biggest and best we have had lately is The Hobbit, and people are discussing that on it's own board.

Hopefully we can have another renaissance of fantasy so to speak, and get some more quality films.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~H.P. Lovecraft

As the owner of a fantasy store in the Netherlands (I started up my shop some three years ago) and former goth, I can say that although fantasy seems to be unpopular with mainstream audience, fantasy and sci-fi films alike have an extremely loyal following. The true fans (not the one-day flies who just get into any hype like with the LOTR films) will remain loyal fans for life. I often expose my ware at events all over Europe specifically targeted at that audience (for example, Magiccon in Germany). I wouldn't be able to run a successful business without the loyal following, although of course it helps that I'm a fantasy fan myself. Unless you move in that scene, you will probably not realize how big it actually is.