Fantasy : What was the first fantasy film you ever saw?

What was the first fantasy film you ever saw?

The first fantasy film I watched was The Chronicles of Narnia: The lion the witch and the wardrobe.

Re: What was the first fantasy film you ever saw?

Probably Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory.

Do the Disney cartoons count? If not, then it's probably The Neverending Story.

Ghost dancers slay together and you’re just in my grave

I'd forgotten about Neverending Story; that is a cute movie, and yeh, I'd call it fantasy.

Either the first Conan movie (with Schwartzenegger) or the Baskshi animated "Lord of the Rings."

It's a tie between-
Legend,
Willow,
Krull,
Never Ending Story,
Labrynth,
.....and so many more... I was the youngest In the family and grew up watching them all at the same time and don't remember which came first :) all excellent!

I believe it was either Labyrinth or Neverending Story.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~H.P. Lovecraft

I could be wrong but I think it was Lord of the Rings.

"Screw you guy, I'm going home"-Eric Cartman

It was my first fantasy at the cinema.

My earliest memories are of watching The NeverEnding Story and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in a classroom in kindergarten during PE whenever it was raining, so since I can't remember which one I watched first, I proclaim a tie!

The grave is no bar to my call.

Wow; we're talking WAAAAY back here but it was most likely one of Ray Harryhausen's films. Either Jason and the Argonauts or one of the Sinbad films. Or maybe even the 1933 King Kong. I honestly can't recall.

======
HAHA! Madest thou look! So endeth the trick.

Pass. My memory doesn't go back that far. The Wizard of Oz maybe.

Was probably "The Hobbit" the animated version. Of course they may have been a movie or 2 that I saw at the theater(s) as a child that I am forgetting about but what can you do. :)

Captain Campion

I let the half of me that feels crazy speak for the half of me that feels alone --- John Engman

If animation counts it was the Big Friendly Giant (1989) otherwise Willow (1989), which is still a badassed movie btw.

The Dark Crystal

That and The Last Unicorn on video 30 years ago when i was 4.

"Unicorn, mermaid, vampire,sorceress! No name you'd give her would surprise me i love whom i love"

Re: What was the First Fantasy Film You ever Saw?

Most likely The Wizard of Oz (1939).

Volker Flenske: (While torturing David) I don't know why you're doing this to yourself!

Possibly the Wizard of Oz. It used to run once a year in the 60's. The first one I remember seeing at a drive in, was Captain Sinbad. Took me ages to figure out the name of it.

In the kingdom of the blind, you're the village idiot.

Probably Willow, the first movie I ever saw in a theater. Of course I may have seen other fantasy movies before that on t.v., but I don't remember. Some other early ones would be The Wizard of Oz, Return to Oz, The Hobbit '77, and I seem to remember watching an animated version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

The Neverending Story.

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness.

The first one I saw in the theatre was Mysterious Island (1961). Before that I'd seen various classic horrors - Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. - and lots of Japanese monster movies on TV.

I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.

Disney's 'The Sword and the Stone,' I think. First non-animated one was probably 'Ladyhawke.'

- You may have come on no bicycle, but that does not say that you know everything.

The first fantasy movie I've ever seen was Wizard of Oz but if you're talking about the theatre, it would have to be either Conan TB or Beast Master.

For me, it was Neverending Story. Then I got the Hobbit and LOTR on VHS (animated versions) and I sort of got into fantasy from there.

Earliest I can remember are Dragonslayer, Krull, and maybe Dark Crystal.