Fantasy : Is The Wizard of Oz still the best fantasy movie ever?

Is The Wizard of Oz still the best fantasy movie ever?

In my opinion, yes!

"Oh wow, good Nyborg"-Heavy Metal.

Re: Is The Wizard of Oz still the best fantasy movie ever?

Yes! it is the best fantasy film, and best literary (based on a book) film. With a little humor and memorable songs and Technicolor splendor, it is still and always will be the best fantasy film
--
*nya* *purr*

Not

Even

Remotely

Close.

Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.

I think that title should go to one of the LOTR movies

"Decency is just the spite of the untalented"
LADY SPERANZA WILDE

Dude, Return To Oz is one of all time favorites!

Anyone who thinks the Bible is compatible with modern morality needs to read Gen 19:1-9 and 30-36.

I haven't seen Legend in years, but my problem with it at the time was, I felt Tom Cruise made too weak of a hero. Curry stole the movie from him.

In the kingdom of the blind, you're the village idiot.

I think you need to define what makes a fantasy movie and what makes one the best.

Wizard of Oz is a great movie. But you could argue that there are other movies that do more in terms of the fantasy element. For instance, Legend (1985) is a lesser film, yet has more fantasy in it.

When I think of Wizard of Oz, the main thing that jumps out at me is not the fantasy element so much as the musical and vaudeville style comedy. I think of it more as a classic family film than a fantasy film.

I would say LotR is the best movie to truly use fantasy elements to craft a new world, as well as was a great movie in its own right.

Anyone who thinks the Bible is compatible with modern morality needs to read Gen 19:1-9 and 30-36.

I still think Jean Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast" is the best live-action fantasy movie ever made. It's truly magical. In terms of animation, I would rank "Sleeping Beauty", "Fantasia", "Dumbo", "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", and "Pinocchio" above "The Wizard of Oz".

Not really.

Of course.

I say Return to Oz with Legend and Labyrinth tying in at a close second.

I don't hate TWOO, but I've never been that big of a fan of it. Too cutesy and sugary for me.

Don't eva let nobody tell you you ain't strong enough

To me its not even fantasy.

Its a modern fairy tale.

P.s.: Ok, after reading more of this forum, I'm throughoutly confused about what people think "fantasy" is, exactly.

---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrp-v2tHaDo

Yes.
No one can beat that, although Narnia is very very close.

I prefer Return To Oz over "The Wizard Of Oz" then again neither of them are as bad as "The Wiz".

"If you don't like your ideas, stop having them!"

Re: Is The Wizard of Oz (1939) still the best fantasy movie ever?

Nope. It's Alice in Wonderland (1985). It's also my favorite movie of all time.

Volker Flenske: (While torturing David) I don't know why you're doing this to yourself!

Don't kid yourselves... The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is, hands down, the best fantasy film ever.

Thee is no best fantasy movie. That is too subjective. A movie can only be the best in the opinions of some people.

Many or most horror films are also fantasy films. Some science fiction films, such as Santa Claus Conquers the Martians or the somewhat more respected Star Wars series, are also fantasy films. The Wizard of Oz, itself is also a musical comedy.

So it seems possible that there could be some rally great movie which is a fantasy movie even though you don't think of it as primarily a fantasy movie.

In fact, I believe that some plays which are generally considered among the very best are partially fanassy plays and have often been adapted as movies. They include Shakspeare's A Midsummers Night's Dream, Hamlet, The Tempest, and Macbeth.

i agree with you but maybe tie with the lord of the rings

Nope.

And your opinion is correct, sir!

(And you don't need the word 'fantasy' in the question, either!)

"Professor Marvel never guesses - he knows!"

Yes - and you can excise the qualifier "fantasy"!

"Professor Marvel never guesses - he knows!"