Fantasy : Willy Wonka vs. Wizard of Oz.

Willy Wonka vs. Wizard of Oz.

Which fantasy classic is more rich and unique?

"Oh wow, good Nyborg"-Heavy Metal.

Re: Willy Wonka vs. Wizard of Oz.

I will always love both, but Wizard of Oz is definitely the richer of the two

United, We Stand!
In God, We Trust!
Like Yoda, We Talk!

"Music comes from within, from your heart, and from your soul"

I love them both, but I do prefer Wizard of Oz, mainly because it was a childhood favourite, and I saw Willy Wonka recently. Willy Wonka is very charming, but Wizard of Oz will always have a special place in my heart.

They are both good but I'll have to go with Wizard of Oz. I could watch that movie over and over again, and same with the book reading it over and over.

I agree with Zan-tastic. Wizard of Oz does a better job of transporting the viewer into another world: Oz. You feel like you're right there on the adventure with Dorothy.

I love both films, but if you're going to make me choice, it would have to be THE WIZARD OF OZ, a groundbreaking film for 1939, that broke all kinds of cinematic rules and created new ones.

Wizard of Oz.

No competition whatsoever.

---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrp-v2tHaDo

Compare ANY movie to the Wizard of Oz and it will likely come out on the bottom. Willy Wonka is an extremely good movie and one of my children's favourites, so the fact I claim "Wizard of Oz" as the better picture really isn't saying much. I really do love Willy Wonka!

If forced to pick, I would choose The Wizard of Oz. But more specifically, I'd say Oz is richer, and Wonka more unique. Both are unique, but I don't think I'd call Willy Wonka rich.

Ignore this post and disregard everything I told you in it, including this sentence.

they are so different, how can we compare?:) I'd say Wonka is more unique and Oz is more classic;), but I prefer Oz's language (in the book) and plot, I think somebody should make a new version of this book really. as for Wonka, nobody's better than Johnny Depp for these fantasy roles roles, don't you think?

If you wanna shoot, shoot - don't talk. http://bit.ly/hSiuAz

I think Wizard of Oz is a bit more rich and unique!

Just the thought of the dream world that she ended up had you thinking if it was really real or not.

The characters were very unique yet very human.

-------------------------
Energy Efficient Home
www.ecogreenhome.webs.com

are you being serious?

IMDb is not a fansite, contrary to popular opinion!

I love both equally.

No offense to Willie Wonka, but the only thing it beats The Wizard of Oz in is in the "how many W's is in the title?" contest!

"Professor Marvel never guesses - he knows!"

What about alphabetically, Proffessor?

What kind of a man is Captain Renault?
Oh, he's just like any other man, only more so.

As most others before me, I'd go with the Wizard of Oz. It's a classic and indeed very rich and I remember that I never grew bored with it when I was a child, no matter how many times I saw it. But of course Willy Wonka is also a good movie.

http://scifihorrorfantasy.freeforums.org/ Come and join!

I grew up with both movies in my childhood and I have seen them both recently. As to which one holds up better after all these years, Wonka is easily the better one, not that I blame anything that happened in the Wizard Of Oz to be "bad" I just thought Wonka clearly held up better. As to which one is the richer fantasy? As much as I love Willy Wonka, Wizard Of Oz is by far the better one. Yes, there is something crazy and creative about Wonka but in the end The Wizard Of Oz just had more.

In the end, I don't really think you can compare the two as they are very different films. Now if this was entitled "Return To Oz vs. The Wizard Of Oz" I would answer with every aspect in Return To Oz being better than The Wizard Of Oz. A "controversial opinion"?...maybe, but hey, we can all admit both were great films.

"If you don't like your ideas, stop having them!"

The Wizard of Oz. Just about everything is better than Willy Wonka except the comedy.

If I told you cretins, your feeble brains would fail to comprehend it. - The Shredder

THE WIZARD OF OZ - 8/10
WILLY WONKA - 7/10

I rate both them both 10/10, but I rank The Wizard of Oz (1939) higher.

Volker Flenske: (While torturing David) I don't know why you're doing this to yourself!

Willy Wonka comes in first - but only alphabetically!

"Professor Marvel never guesses - he knows!"